Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board topic #70646

Subject: "Annual NaNoWriMo post" Previous topic | Next topic
SepiaSylph
Member since Nov 09th 2005
15422 posts
Wed Oct-17-07 05:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Annual NaNoWriMo post"

I'm a little early, but I wondered if anyone was going to try it this year?

50,000 is a lot of words to write in one month, but the challenge is fun, regardless.

http://www.nanowrimo.org

I guess I'll up this post a few times through the remainder of October, though maybe 3 people ever respond to these posts lol.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
the writing's been coming and going for me lately
Oct 18th 2007
RE: the writing's been coming and going for me lately
Oct 23rd 2007
i've been throwing around ideas all year
Oct 19th 2007
RE: i've been throwing around ideas all year
Oct 23rd 2007
Oct 25th 2007
Nov 05th 2007
its that time
Nov 01st 2007
So who's started?
Nov 05th 2007
i'm at 2545 words
Nov 07th 2007
RE: i'm at 2545 words
Nov 07th 2007
      thanx
Nov 08th 2007
           RE: thanx
Nov 08th 2007
                i have no idea what it's about
Nov 08th 2007
                     Well that's comforting
Nov 08th 2007
1,250 words but i'm not gonna waver
Nov 07th 2007
      RE: 1,250 words but i'm not gonna waver
Nov 07th 2007
Nov 12th 2007
           damn, your shit is serious
Nov 12th 2007
           Don't give up!
Nov 12th 2007
Nov 12th 2007
Nov 14th 2007
                     Yeah, everyone post excerpts!
Nov 14th 2007
I'm so incredibly behind, but here's an excerpt anyway:
Nov 25th 2007
RE: I'm so incredibly behind, but here's an excerpt anyway:
Nov 25th 2007
      I'm curious about the rest of *your* story.
Nov 26th 2007
           RE: I'm curious about the rest of *your* story.
Nov 28th 2007
So, how did you do?
Dec 01st 2007

mindful
Charter member
41306 posts
Thu Oct-18-07 08:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "the writing's been coming and going for me lately"
In response to Reply # 0

i cannot say that i'll participate, but i'll come back to see if i can... if that, makes sense thanks for making us aware.

----------------------------
http://msmind.wordpress.com
http://www.clutchmagazine.com

*puzzled*

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Tue Oct-23-07 02:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: the writing's been coming and going for me lately"
In response to Reply # 1

Keep trying. There's still time to get a plot together (or just start from scratch, cause I got nothing as of now lol).

Rajeniro757
Member since Jun 08th 2003
6644 posts
Fri Oct-19-07 08:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i've been throwing around ideas all year"
In response to Reply # 0

i really wanted to do it last year but was too busy. this year it's on I'm going to war with my imagination and praying i come through the other side.

R.I.P. Martin alexander (Marty Gra) Alston - my brother, my mentor , my friend-

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Tue Oct-23-07 02:38 PM

3. "RE: i've been throwing around ideas all year"
In response to Reply # 2

Me too, and I still don't know what I want to do. I haven't had a character come to me yet.

But I'm gonna do it anyway.

InGeniousPoet
Member since Feb 17th 2003
441 posts
Thu Oct-25-07 09:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "RE: i've been throwing around ideas all year"
In response to Reply # 3

Does this take place during the month of November? Give me the specs on this... I feel like I've heard about it before. Guy I met challenged himself and ended up publishing a book because of the 50,000 words.

Someone help a brotha out

--Boxcarboys

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Mon Nov-05-07 02:54 PM

7. "RE: i've been throwing around ideas all year"
In response to Reply # 5

nanowrimo.org

It's from Nov. 1-31st. 50,000 words.

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Thu Nov-01-07 04:47 AM

6. "its that time"
In response to Reply # 0

we need a support system

too bad that post in GD fell off the radar

“Be uncomfortable; be sand, not oil, to the machinery of the world.”
- Gunter Eich

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Mon Nov-05-07 02:55 PM

8. "So who's started?"
In response to Reply # 0

I considered an OKP group-write, but you see how these posts fall off lol.

My word count is looking abysmal. I doubt I've broken 1,000 at this point. School sucks.

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Wed Nov-07-07 12:34 PM

9. "i'm at 2545 words"
In response to Reply # 8

>I considered an OKP group-write, but you see how these posts
>fall off lol.
>
>My word count is looking abysmal. I doubt I've broken 1,000 at
>this point. School sucks.

check me out

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/223439

school does suck. but so does work

- Gunter Eich

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Wed Nov-07-07 07:05 PM

11. "RE: i'm at 2545 words"
In response to Reply # 9

Good job, yo!

School and work and extracurricular activities all suck big time.

I'll link to my profile (soon as I make one for this year lol).

>check me out
>
>http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/223439
>
>school does suck. but so does work
>

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Thu Nov-08-07 01:06 PM

13. "thanx"
In response to Reply # 11

up to 3803 now! lol

- Gunter Eich

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Thu Nov-08-07 01:16 PM

14. "RE: thanx"
In response to Reply # 13

What's it about?

Put up an excerpt! lol.

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Thu Nov-08-07 01:35 PM

15. "i have no idea what it's about"
In response to Reply # 14

no idea what i'm doing..here's the first paragraph:

"Lots of times these people go around complaining about their overbearing parents. The ones who push them excessively towards excellence. The demanding, fanatical brand of parenting. They seem to heap onto their children all of their own hopes and ambitions. Perhaps those unfulfilled, or other times in a wild, perhaps unconscious act of vanity, (which is probably the first reason these people ever have children) they wish their children to exactly mimic their own career paths. Mommy's a mathematician, Daddy’s a part time psychoanalyst, part time poet, and so Junior and Juniorette are shoved headlong into those same straightjackets of destiny. “I always knew little Junior had a sensitivity, a propensity, a prodigious proclivity for poetry…HE GETS IT FROM ME”. If Junior becomes a poet, then it proves validation for Daddy Dearest’s genetic prowess. Indeed, it would appear this father had endowed his own gifts upon his son, by some wave of the magic penis, and having never ever “pushed” Junior to “become like me” or ever schooled him in the art of poetry since before the boy could walk, no none of that determined the boy’s fate; it must have all been just a natural touch that was passed down generationally. Then, by a colossal accident of Mendelian wizardry, the boy comes to see poetry as his vocation. It’s quite a Catholic event: clouds parting, heart opening, lightning striking…Boom, Bip, Kazaam, boy is poet. He pens lines, knowing not whence they’ve come, and in his head, like a young seminary student, he feels a great conviction, an affinity with the lifestyle of his desired profession, that of the poet, and that he must never stray from the road to celestially inspired verse."

- Gunter Eich

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Thu Nov-08-07 06:39 PM

16. "Well that's comforting"
In response to Reply # 15

because I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing either.

Nice excerpt. I wanted to keep reading and I really want to know the story.

Rajeniro757
Member since Jun 08th 2003
6644 posts
Wed Nov-07-07 06:51 PM

10. "1,250 words but i'm not gonna waver"
In response to Reply # 8

I'm aiming for 15000 not really aiming for it but just hoping for at the end of the month

R.I.P. Martin alexander (Marty Gra) Alston - my brother, my mentor , my friend-

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Wed Nov-07-07 07:06 PM

12. "RE: 1,250 words but i'm not gonna waver"
In response to Reply # 10

Stick with it! We're in a very similar boat, but I don't have class Friday or Monday, and Thanksgiving's coming up lol.

15,000 is a nice goal.

Good luck!

InGeniousPoet
441 posts
Mon Nov-12-07 12:21 PM

17. "RE: 1,250 words but i'm not gonna waver"
In response to Reply # 10

I started nano and I am really excited. Even though I have a busy, busy job, a 3 year old and transporting my wife to and from classes 4 days a week, I have been able to get 12,700 words done so far. I am about 8,000 behind where I should be but its the journey, right?

If you can, get involved with the writing groups in your area. I found that it helps when you get in a slump to be around creative people and their writing energy.

Here is an excerpt from my story...

Isaiah walked back into the lobby and looked around for Chino. He found him sitting in one of the chairs reading a US magazine and laughed to himself. He wondered if Chino was looking up advise on how to please a woman. He didn’t understand magazines like that. They give advise for guys but they know full well that guys aren’t reading these magazines. Well except Chino. He looked around and realized that the only magazine in the lobby was either Vogue or US magazines. Isaiah decided that he wasn’t gonna mess with Chino about the choice of reading material.
Chino looked up and saw Isaiah. He tossed the publication back on the coffee table and stood up with a “well??” look on his face.
“So? What happened? Did you rip it? Did he like? Come’on boy what ya just standin there for? What the deal?” Chino said rapidly
“Well……He wants me to come back next week so that we can talk business because yo boy ripped that fuckin mic to shreds!!!” He said progressively getting more intense.
“Hell yea!! That’s my fuckin boy! That’s what I’m talking about. Don’t forget about this night when you making millions, lil nigga. You know I gots ya back.”
“Now let me take you home so we can tell ya sis about her new superstar brotha!” Chino said as he pulled out his keys.
“I’ma call you later cutie” Chino said with a smirk to the woman behind the desk.
“Fuck you nigga.” She said still filing her fingernails without looking up.

Chino laughed as he followed Isaiah out the door. The sun was beginning to set but they were exiting the side of the building that the sun had already passed, producing shade spots throughout the Detroit cityscape. Isaiah loved Michigan in the summertime. The evenings were perfect, not too hot and not too cold, perfect. He listened to the cars driving by as he headed from the walkway to the sidewalk. Suddenly he heard a gunshot boom right in his ear.
He dropped to the ground not knowing which direction the gunshot came from and twirled around to find Chino. He looked and saw Chino lying on the ground and then found the barrel of a gun directly in front of his face. Blood was overflowing from the back of Chino’s head as Isaiah began to breathe harder and harder as he tried to avoid puking. Water flooded into his eyes as he looked at the gun.
“No quick moves. Get in the fuckin car.” A deep voice said

Holla

UncleClimax
Charter member
13786 posts
Mon Nov-12-07 01:56 PM

18. "damn, your shit is serious"
In response to Reply # 17

im only about 6000 words in. im laggin!

and my shit is boring as hell...lol i dont know, depending on how things go this week, i may give up...well, not give up, but give up on my current novel and start from scratch. anyway....keep up the good work!

- Gunter Eich

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Mon Nov-12-07 04:40 PM

20. "Don't give up!"
In response to Reply # 18

lol. But I can understand about starting another novel from scratch.

I'm working on two at once, not really *feeling* either like that right now. Ugh.

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Mon Nov-12-07 04:39 PM

19. "RE: 1,250 words but i'm not gonna waver"
In response to Reply # 17

That requires an "Ohhhh shit!" kind of response, lol. Awesome job.
I see you like a little action. I do too-- one of my stories starts out with an abduction lol.

And you make me feel ashamed. I'm only at 6,000 words with two stories. I don't know which one to pursue. I guess I'll see tonight.

After that, it's on.

InGeniousPoet
441 posts
Wed Nov-14-07 10:21 AM

21. "RE: 1,250 words but i'm not gonna waver"
In response to Reply # 19

Thats cool. If you get a chance and feel comfortable drop a lil excerpt from your story. I'm in a slump right now and need a lil inspiration.

Well, maybe later because I am working and probably should be focusing on this stuff rather than thinking about my story BUT I CANT HELP IT! I'S JUSS WANNA WRITE!!

That goes for anyone that is partaking in this madness... post an excerpt!

Holla

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Wed Nov-14-07 11:48 AM

22. "Yeah, everyone post excerpts!"
In response to Reply # 21

I'll post mine tomorrow.

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Sun Nov-25-07 05:11 PM

23. "I'm so incredibly behind, but here's an excerpt anyway:"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Nov-25-07 05:13 PM by SepiaSylph

Don't laugh!

------------------
Asha awoke with a jerk. The hover had stopped and both Greg and Soren were standing outside now, talking with another man dressed all in black. As quietly as she could, Asha leaned toward the door to better hear what the men were saying.

“Back to the apartment? No. They’ll have someone watching twenty-four seven. We need to be off this damned planet already as it is,” Soren said.
His voice remained very level but he spoke with an intensity. “I’m not risking the mission simply because you fucked up.”

The other man bristled. “Soren, I didn’t fuck up. The Seer is toying with us for some reason. She waited to tell us that the girl needs to have the ring in order for this to work. You’re the one who ran off--”

Gregory intervened. “Hey, hey. All that matters is, one, the girl is safe, and two, we have to have the ring. Jackson, did she say what it looks like? Maybe we can leave the girl at a safe house and then get the ring ourselves…”

The man shook his head. “Only the girl knows. Besides, we’d have to search all over the place. With her, we can just go in and out. I say we go at sunset tomorrow.”

“I don‘t think so. We’re going to the Seer herself. We’ll let her talk to the girl and--”

“Big mistake, mate.”

There was a scuffle. A knife flashed silver in the faint moonlight and then silence.

“I knew it,” Soren said. “That’s why no one was there. They wanted us to get the girl out of the apartment and then have Jackson simply deliver her.”
He growled. “Let’s dispose of the body and get out of here. We really need to see the Seer now… I need to be sure.”

He and Gregory pulled the opened the door to the front seat of the hover. With widened eyes, Asha watched them put the bloodied body down.
“Asha, get into the other hover,” Soren said, before doing so himself.

Gregory took her hand and led her to the smaller, black hover’s back seat before going back to the old vehicle.
He started the ignition and then popped the trunk, messed around with a few wires and then pushed the car way off to the side of the road.

He jogged back and took his place in the front passenger seat.

“Four hours, eh?”

Soren nodded then took off.

About a minute later, Asha heard a loud noise. She looked back in terror. The hover had exploded.
------------------

InGeniousPoet
441 posts
Sun Nov-25-07 10:57 PM

24. "RE: I'm so incredibly behind, but here's an excerpt anyway:"
In response to Reply # 23

wow. i dig that. Really curious about the rest of the story. You have intrigued me and i hope that i get to read the finished version. I'm roughly two weeks behind in my writing, but oh well its been a really fun time.

holla

--Boxcarboys

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Mon Nov-26-07 01:20 PM

25. "I'm curious about the rest of *your* story."
In response to Reply # 24

Mine is a borderline cheesy sci-fi lol.

There is no "ring" though, as the Seer explains when they arrive. But still.

They have hover-cars and spaceships.

I'm about 3 weeks behind. Roughly 10,000 words. It's never been this bad but I've never had this course load, so I forgive myself.

InGeniousPoet
441 posts
Wed Nov-28-07 11:13 PM

26. "RE: I'm curious about the rest of *your* story."
In response to Reply # 25

mine is an action deal. kid gets kidnapped, large conspiracy, havent figured out much more than that right now. Got mob bosses, politicians, and an aspiring emcee as my central focus.

--Boxcarboys

SepiaSylph
15422 posts
Sat Dec-01-07 02:23 PM

27. "So, how did you do?"
In response to Reply # 0

I only got 11,917-- my lowest final word count in 3 years

Hopefully you fared better than I did.

Lobby Freestyle Board topic #70646 Previous topic | Next topic