Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board topic #59765

Subject: "find peace in this." Previous topic | Next topic
Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Fri Aug-25-06 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"find peace in this."

suicide's a complex thing for the friends and family of a person who takes their own life.

it's different than losing them to a car accident, or a murder even, or a terminal disease.

emotionally speaking, it's probably the most vexing tragedy of human existence that we have to deal with. cause it's so unexplained, even when we have all the reasons before us why a person felt that was their only option. and once it happens, it leaves so many questions, so many gaps in our own lives that we scramble to fill, and we pull our hair out trying to find ways to supplant the intense feelings of confusion and pain.

it can crush our equilibriums, it can stain the fabric of our sanity forever. it definitely leaves a mark that wont go away. because there's a feeling that we didn't do enough, that we didn't exert enough energy, that we weren't there at the right time.

"if i had been there..."

"if she would have just called me..."

"i could have done something."

the ifs and whys and hows and all other questions start piling up, and we just break down in the process.

suicide is hardest on the people forced to deal with the aftermath, though. and it's the closest we can come to the pain the person felt before he or she reached the brink.

there aren't very many positives to be taken from something as tragic as this, but something that's helped me is that... well. she's not dealing with it anymore.

peeping nik's writings over the years, her blog entries and her poetry, her statements, it takes on new meaning now that she's gone. she was struggling with stuff longer than any of us probably could have wanted to notice.

i can't remember the last time we talked, but when we did, i remember getting the feeling of a darkness on her heart that she wasn't fully sharing with me, and i tried to respect it, even though i like it when my friends open up to me. adding it all up together, she was dealing with something bigger than hugs and pats on the back and lighthearted reassurance.

was there something we could have done?

possibly. who knows.

is there anything we can do for her now?

well.
i seriously doubt that she would have wanted us to take this burden on ourselves, as a personal failure. there's a few of us here that she loved. i can't say i'm one, lol... but my niggas KnowOne and Amazin and Kisszion and a Lefrak... y'all were close.

i know it's hard, but i woke up this morning thinking about nikki.

the hardest part of this whole thing for her was getting to this point. she was enduring an incredible pain and now she's not, anymore.

if you can bring yourself to look at it like that, you can kind of close a difficult chapter and start moving toward the next. im not suggesting that we stop mourning at all, i surely havent, but the thought that she's not suffering anymore has a calming effect that had been amiss the other times ive had to deal with similar situations.

i don't believe that suicide is ever the only answer. but once it's happened, the question of whether or not it was the only resort left is really a moot point, and it becomes encumbent on all of us to work our way out of the aftermath with as much personal damage control as possible.

i hope i'm not stepping on any toes, or offending anyone with this post. i just know alot of us are taking it way harder than we'd care to share on a message board. and sometimes it helps to have a perspective we may not have thought of.

the thing now is, there's more than likely, somebody else in each of our lives who's closing in on the same sort of pain. if we've got a hunch, let's holler at em. do what we can til it hurts.

that's all, yo.

everybody hold your heads.

-ae

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Thanks for this!
Aug 25th 2006
no doubt, i wrote wit you in mind fam.
Aug 25th 2006
Very well said man
Aug 25th 2006
Thank you. n/m
Aug 25th 2006
this is what helps
Aug 25th 2006
u got it
Aug 25th 2006
Thanx for writing this man.....
Aug 26th 2006
well said and heart felt
Aug 28th 2006
well said.
Aug 28th 2006
RE: find peace in this.
Sep 01st 2006
Jul 30th 2011
Nov 04th 2011
Nov 05th 2011

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Fri Aug-25-06 02:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Thanks for this!"
In response to Reply # 0

cuz Im in a bad place right now.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Aeon
Charter member
43870 posts
Fri Aug-25-06 02:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "no doubt, i wrote wit you in mind fam."
In response to Reply # 1

yo if you ever need to holler or whatever, i got a good ear for listening.

werd.

_

shakin your block with a 6 million dollar bop

_

www.davidevanmcdowell.com

Shakeet Lokh Em
Member since Mar 22nd 2005
3452 posts
Fri Aug-25-06 03:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Very well said man"
In response to Reply # 0

"I'm scientific, but my reflex gangsta"- Black Thought

DawgEatah
Charter member
49225 posts
Fri Aug-25-06 03:53 PM

4. "Thank you. n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

R.I.P. 3rd i: Heaven has a new Poet Laureate.

mindful
Charter member
41306 posts
Fri Aug-25-06 09:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "this is what helps"
In response to Reply # 0

"well. she's not dealing with it anymore."

amen to this, truly.

--------------------------------------------------
Pinwheels and HulaHoops|the book
http://www.lulu.com/content/132318
http://msmind.blogspot.com|the life

l'amour est la médecine fidèle d'un dieu.
i'm aching for your awe ©ms mimi diva

rgv
Charter member
4556 posts
Fri Aug-25-06 09:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "u got it"
In response to Reply # 0

thanku

i just want chu to know
how i feel
how i feel

Seven
Member since Dec 11th 2004
10708 posts
Sat Aug-26-06 04:09 AM

7. "Thanx for writing this man....."
In response to Reply # 0

roobug
Member since May 22nd 2006
1707 posts
Mon Aug-28-06 01:41 PM

8. "well said and heart felt"
In response to Reply # 0

You have a good perspective on things.

It's weird because I am still new here and have never met anyone. So it's easy to just see a screen name and not a person. Go back and forth with someone just for sport. Coming into the news on Friday was a reality check. Everyone's lives are so much bigger than just the ramblings that occur on here. I think I forgot to respect that. Thanks for the reminder.

A close friend attempted suicide in high school. I don't believe she wanted to end her life, it was more a search for help. We are still real tight now and she is doing great. Then my senior year in college, another friend took a gun to his head. It was a very difficult time for my circle of friends because we could not fathom his pain. But like you said, it's something that no longer has to be endured. I always figure that the choices you make are not a mistake and attempting suicide is very different then committing it. She made her choice for a reason and maybe no one understands it, but it was a choice made freely.

Peace, Aeon.

ONE

blaksilence
Charter member
1533 posts
Mon Aug-28-06 10:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "well said."
In response to Reply # 0

invisible ink
Member since Apr 07th 2003
1083 posts
Fri Sep-01-06 05:00 PM

10. "RE: find peace in this."
In response to Reply # 0

amen...miss k

if you didn't define yourself for yourself you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you an eaten alive.

audre lorde

Babynoon
Member since Dec 27th 2004
2222 posts
Sat Jul-30-11 10:31 PM

11. "RE: find peace in this."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-30-11 10:32 PM by Babynoon

life is a gift still, whether it's up or down, cherish the days.

(This account is inactive or no longer exists by user or moderators)

:hacked or spammed entry, do not responsed or send messages to this
account:: suspicious account or virus

Vayaiah Sunduh
Member since Jul 19th 2010
551 posts
Fri Nov-04-11 11:49 PM

12. "RE: find peace in this."
In response to Reply # 0

uppin

Exodus

HueyNewton
Member since Feb 27th 2005
1923 posts
Sat Nov-05-11 01:01 PM

13. "RE: find peace in this."
In response to Reply # 0

unfortunately my cousin was murdered recently and I'm still tryin'
to locate a place of peace . .

across 110th street
-xxx

they showed us phYsically, we could reach infinitY, but mentally, through the century, we lost our identitY
-Rakim

Lobby Freestyle Board topic #59765 Previous topic | Next topic