Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board topic #58950

Subject: "All American Pie...." Previous topic | Next topic
tonywashington
Charter member
23582 posts
Sat Jul-29-06 06:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"All American Pie...."
Sat Jul-29-06 06:14 PM by tonywashington

This is a poem I have written for my upcoming book "341". It's much different than anything I have ever written. I really should just call it a piece of writing. LOL.
"341" will be out next year in the fall.
-------------------------------
All American Apple Pie

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose chinese yuan
* 1/2 cup saudi oil
* 2 tablespoons cold war ways
* 1 1/2 teaspoons deregulation
* 1 teaspoon of expropriation
* 6 insider trading tips, sliced and concealed
* 3 tablespoons fear
* 3/4 teaspoon racial profiling
* 1/2 teaspoon conflict of interest
* 1/2 cup all-purpose gentrification
* 1/2 cup campaign contributions
* 1/2 cup soft money
* 1 tablespoon of lies

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Crust: In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups all purpose chinese yuan, 3/4 teaspoon racial profiling, 2 tablespoons cold war ways, 1 1/2 teaspoons deregulation and 1 teaspoon expropriation until evenly blended. Pat mixture into a 9 inch pie pan, spreading the DOUGH evenly over the bottom and up sides. Crimp edges of the DOUGH around the perimeter.

3. Filling: Sprinkle c.o.i. and campaign contributions over saudi oil and toss to coat. Spread saudi oil evenly in unbaked DOUGH.

4. To Make Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup all purpose gentrification, 1/2 cup soft money, 6 insider trading tips (sliced and concealed )and fear until evenly distributed and crumbly in texture. Sprinkle over saudi oil.

5. Put pie in the oven on a cookie sheet to catch the saudi oil that may spill over. Bake 5 years. Let cool for 2 years.

Serving suggestion: top your slice of All American Apple Pie with a tablespoon of lies to make it complete.

Enjoy!

(c) tonywashington.com 2006

-T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"rick ross got old african woman swag" (c)nayaa

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
just to be a voice of dissent...
Jul 31st 2006
that is how i write....
Jul 31st 2006
      To continue the conversation...
Jul 31st 2006
           very well put.
Jul 31st 2006
RE: All American Pie....
Jan 14th 2012
Jan 15th 2012
Jan 21st 2012
Jan 23rd 2012
Not A "Tasty" Pie ... *AT ALL* ...
Jan 23rd 2012
Jan 24th 2012

rubbersoulonice
Charter member
1327 posts
Mon Jul-31-06 03:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "just to be a voice of dissent..."
In response to Reply # 0

and also to get you a reply (this board is asleep) -

you don't think this might be more moving if it were a little more complex? That is, the beautiful and the hideous bring themselves into such sharp juxtaposition every day of our lives in this country, it seems a little cheap and well, obvious? to lay out the recipe of the shitty things that go on without the mystery of the beauty that the ship falls on and that equally bizarrely blooms from our American offal.

To me, this is a cut above most "fuck-the-man/Bush/industry/cause-celebre of our misery" art, but it falls short of really touching anything more than my favorite bumper-sticker sentiments.
------------------------------
Something like Eldridge
Cleaver meets John Lennon

tonywashington
Charter member
23582 posts
Mon Jul-31-06 08:58 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "that is how i write...."
In response to Reply # 1
Mon Jul-31-06 09:03 AM by tonywashington

first off, thank you for your feedback. i am always looking to hear anything and everything from people who read my work.

on making this poem a little more complex.......i write so everybody can understand what i am trying to say. this was not an easy piece to write. not to pat myself on the back but i think sometimes, like somebody else has mentioned to me, my work can come across like it was breeze to write or not much thought went into it.

everything i write that has a political stance is written a certain way for a reason. i want all to understand and i want to be clear. sometimes i can be a little complex but i try not to be. that is just how i do. i have a poem in my book Refrigerator Poetry called profound piffle. it is a poem that actually goes at those who write to be complex instead of so others can understand where they are coming from. the poem profound piffle is complex on purpose.

i guess what i am trying to say is that not being too complex is my style, it has and always will be. i am a very to the point person in life so i guess that translate in my writing. if people start to know me as a simple, easy to understand, not to deep poet, it's cool. as long as people understand me and know where i am coming from that is what matters to me.

i hope that made sense and i can see what you are saying. thank you for your feedback. it is slow around these parts.

-T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rubbersoulonice
Charter member
1327 posts
Mon Jul-31-06 09:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "To continue the conversation..."
In response to Reply # 2

I certainly value clarity in my own writing, although I think very few people on this board would label my writing as even lucid, much less clear.

I often wonder about "telling it like it is." After all these years, I still look to Hemingway as a hero, a man who allegedly did that in his prose, but the more I read the more I find that the important things in those novels are miles from even being articulated.

Similarly, the longer I live the more I am convinced that the truth is never simple, seldom clear, and best hinted at.

"These are only hints and guesses..." says Eliot. And if I'm tipping my hand a bit, that I tend toward the moderns and a certain analytic and spiritual position, I'm guilty as charged.

I wouldn't like this to be construed as an attack (I don't think you'd take it that way anyhow), but I wonder where directness of this sort starts to be a different kind of veil, perhaps a noble one, but noble veils still obscure the view.
------------------------------
Something like Eldridge
Cleaver meets John Lennon

tonywashington
Charter member
23582 posts
Mon Jul-31-06 09:20 PM

4. "very well put."
In response to Reply # 3

you have a very valid point..."but noble veils still obscure the view."

-T
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Babynoon
Member since Dec 27th 2004
2222 posts
Sat Jan-14-12 08:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: All American Pie...."
In response to Reply # 0

my word....
mos def....

in the kitchen and out of the kitchen, but
other countries won't take a piece not even
for free. smh

(This account is inactive or no longer exists by user or moderators)

:hacked or spammed entry, do not responsed or send messages to this
account:: suspicious account or virus

ASIEM
Charter member
4154 posts
Sun Jan-15-12 10:05 AM

6. "RE: All American Pie...."
In response to Reply # 5

thnk you noon for brining this back i never saw it b4. well by the dates your book Tony is out and more since this was written which i am hoping has proven a success. the fact u have taken a chance at political satire
is always a plus with me. so point i eat this pie er time i look at the news and say or do nothing but watch.

"keep pennin till the earth birth's your rightful seed then nurture it wit more ink..."
ASIEM
"Kuun fiyah Kuun" Quran
(Be and it is)
" A writer takes his pen to write the words again that all in love is fair" Stevie Wonder

www.myspace.com/asiem61

HueyNewton
Member since Feb 27th 2005
1923 posts
Sat Jan-21-12 02:04 PM

7. "RE: All American Pie...."
In response to Reply # 0

excellent on this piece glad I read this one tony, these are words
from a prophet, I enjoyed this description of real lifE!
*I think Bush did this recipe lookin for weapons of mass . .lol

the struggle continues
-xxx

they showed us phYsically, we could reach infinitY, but mentally, through the century, we lost our identitY
-Rakim

wolflarsen
Member since Nov 04th 2005
155 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 06:08 PM

8. "RE: All American Pie...."
In response to Reply # 0

Damn this was good!

You tell it like it is and make us laugh at the same time!

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Mon Jan-23-12 10:33 PM

9. "Not A "Tasty" Pie ... *AT ALL* ..."
In response to Reply # 0

... but a truthfully delicious flow!

*Yes Indeed* -- Painfully True ...

A guitar string vibrating, a measure of my soul, a breech in the silence --
I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/photosynthesis_music.htm

Zin
Member since Jan 21st 2004
2972 posts
Tue Jan-24-12 08:40 PM

10. "RE: All American Pie...."
In response to Reply # 0

where thyat book at??????? i kwant to see the rest of this ..... great read ....pow

sig.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Guess who's Back

Lobby Freestyle Board topic #58950 Previous topic | Next topic