Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Freestyle Board topic #58152

Subject: "flash fiction" Previous topic | Next topic
invisible ink
Member since Apr 07th 2003
1083 posts
Wed Jun-28-06 08:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"flash fiction"

She grabbed the box of Newport lights, and panties that were “in between” dry from the sun off the line behind the back porch.

She packed like a woman with no history.grabbed her only heirloom-- the CD player given to her by her brother, before he had killed Father. "Take dis and put it on yo’ ears. I’ll be back”. She had waited. Rockin’ back and fro to the Michael Jackson tunes that could tell you of innocence that even Michael Jackson, she was sure didn’t know about. She rocked until she soiled herself.

Until she couldn’t hold her pee any longer.

The last song on the disc was Heartbreak Hotel. She tiptoed down the hall, smelling the thickness of the blood before she saw it. It made ripples in the overused parts of the carpet creating a river from one end of the wall to the other. Walking backward, she went back to the room, climbed out the window calling out for her brother in a stern but soft voice. When she heard no reply, she began to run down the dirt road into the cornstalks with her shoes in her hands.

Memories of old chicken grease and Vaseline slathered in her insides when he couldn’t find a condom clapsed her mind.

She had $200. It wouldn’t take her far, but it would take her beyond watermelon patches, big hands and the cool dirt that swallowed her shame and guilt.She looked around nervously as if Father’s ghost would appear and drag her by her ponytail all the way back to the white chipped painted house with the green porch swinging innnocently.But there was nothing.

Nothing except silhouettes of trees and power lines mixed with the last smell of honeysuckle in the darkness.

kimabe 2006

if you didn't define yourself for yourself you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you an eaten alive.

audre lorde

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
DAMN K!!!!!
Jun 28th 2006
RE: DAMN K!!!!!
Jun 29th 2006
RE: flash fiction
Jun 28th 2006
Jun 29th 2006
everything i was gonna say right there
Jun 30th 2006
      RE: everything i was gonna say right there
Jun 30th 2006
i wanted more...
Jun 29th 2006
aww...
Jun 30th 2006
Jul 01st 2006
Hmmm
Jul 03rd 2006
I turned town the Corinne Bailey Rae
Jul 05th 2006
RE: I turned town the Corinne Bailey Rae
Jul 05th 2006
up.
Jul 23rd 2006
REpowerful writing
Feb 12th 2007
RE: REpowerful writing
Feb 13th 2007
So ... Was there? ...
Feb 13th 2007
RE: So ... Was there? ...
Feb 13th 2007
Feb 13th 2007

jayare214
Charter member
2209 posts
Wed Jun-28-06 08:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "DAMN K!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

you killin em!!!!
DAMN!!!!
this read like the opening to a novel and I WANT MORE!!!!!!
shit i dont think you've ever written anything that didnt blow e away....
blessed to read you mami...
be safe...
-j

my music group:
http://www.facebook.com/beataroundabush
http://www.lastfm.com/beataroundabush
http://www.reverbnation.com/beataroundabush
http://www.myspace.com/beataroundabush

My beats:
www.myspace.com/jayarejohnson

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/no

invisible ink
1083 posts
Thu Jun-29-06 09:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: DAMN K!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

lol...you so silly (chuckles)...muah to ya papi...miss k

if you didn't define yourself for yourself you'd be crunched into other peoples fantasies of you an eaten alive.

audre lorde

Naanaa
Charter member
95 posts
Wed Jun-28-06 09:40 PM

2. "RE: flash fiction"
In response to Reply # 0

the last five paragraphs (stanzas?) were the strongest to me. that's where the language got provactive and interesting. i thought the beginning could be cut, especially since it's such a short piece and you want to kinda punch the reader in the face.

gorgeous lines like "Nothing except silhouettes of trees and power lines mixed with the last smell of honeysuckle in the darkness," give the feeling of innocence lost and danger much more effectively than the stumbling bit with michael jackson.

http://www.myspace.com/n_a_a

invisible ink
1083 posts
Thu Jun-29-06 09:39 AM

3. "RE: flash fiction"
In response to Reply # 2

thank you for your input...it's a new concept for me. trying to keep the flow of a whole book with no more than 300 words to work with.

it'll be interesting to see how the work continues to flow on this journey in my writing.

thank you!...miss k

audre lorde

rgv
Charter member
4556 posts
Fri Jun-30-06 12:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "everything i was gonna say right there"
In response to Reply # 2

naa got it on the dot

i just want chu to know
how i feel
how i feel

invisible ink
1083 posts
Fri Jun-30-06 05:27 PM

8. "RE: everything i was gonna say right there"
In response to Reply # 7

you know they'll be a revision(lol)...big ups to ya...k

audre lorde

mindful
Charter member
41306 posts
Thu Jun-29-06 06:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "i wanted more..."
In response to Reply # 0

She grabbed the box of Newport lights, and panties that were “in between” dry from the sun off the line behind the back porch.

She packed like a woman with no history.grabbed her only heirloom-- the CD player given to her by her brother, before he had killed Father. "Take dis and put it on yo’ ears. I’ll be back”. She had waited. Rockin’ back and fro to the Michael Jackson tunes that could tell you of innocence that even Michael Jackson, she was sure didn’t know about. She rocked until she soiled herself.

Until she couldn’t hold her pee any longer.

The last song on the disc was Heartbreak Hotel. She tiptoed down the hall, smelling the thickness of the blood before she saw it. It made ripples in the overused parts of the carpet creating a river from one end of the wall to the other.

*nods* but that's quite often with your work, tho. *smiles* Glad to see you back at it...

-----------------------
Pinwheels and Hula Hoops: my book
http://www.lulu.com/content/132318

http://msmind.blogspot.com

no shit in 06.

invisible ink
1083 posts
Fri Jun-30-06 08:25 AM

6. "aww..."
In response to Reply # 5

well... you'll get more(smiling)...yeah...i've found something new to play with on the writing tip...good looking ma...kima

audre lorde

ms mimi diva
Member since Feb 05th 2006
589 posts
Sat Jul-01-06 12:34 AM

9. "RE: flash fiction"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Jul-01-06 12:36 AM by ms mimi diva

You know, I often wonder if I am somehow uncultured, or unchurched by the literatie because I still read books the way I did when I was five. If I open it, and don't like the writing style, I have a hard time justifying reading it. Therefore, despite my woefully inept grasp of the complexities of jewels like War and Peace, I stopped reading it because the language was like a knife to the ear.

Your writing grabs people, and despite the overwhelming emphasis on writing as literary form, writing as a discipline, writing as a technique, post modernism,--- writing is first, and art.

You've got the voice nailed, and your writing is not only literature (sayin' something) but art (saying something beautiful).

http://worthwatering.blogspot.com
Can it be I stayed away too long?/
Did I leave your mind when I was gone?/
It's not my thing trying to get back/
But this time let me tell you where I'm at-- Jackson Five

Winter Blaze
Charter member
1514 posts
Mon Jul-03-06 09:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Hmmm"
In response to Reply # 0

I like this and I'm hoping there is more to this and everything. Been a good while since I've had a good read.

Peace

If fucking were graceful, I'd be your dancer

I have boarded the train to nowwhere waking up to find myself somewhere

Aries
Member since Dec 22nd 2004
2472 posts
Wed Jul-05-06 12:19 AM

11. "I turned town the Corinne Bailey Rae"
In response to Reply # 0

for she seemed to happy while I was reading this.

I love it.

I'm intrigued by the brother a little more than I think I ought to be though...

invisible ink
1083 posts
Wed Jul-05-06 12:22 PM

12. "RE: I turned town the Corinne Bailey Rae"
In response to Reply # 11

now that's a compliment...to turn her down...thank you...u should be intrigued ...nothing wrong with that...

and Winter...you know i always have more than meets most of the eyes here...so yeah...i'll hit you up with you're own special brew...

miss k

audre lorde

blaksilence
Charter member
1533 posts
Sun Jul-23-06 11:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "up."
In response to Reply # 0

quotes:

>She grabbed the box of Newport lights, and panties that were
>“in between” dry from the sun off the line behind the back
>porch.
>
>She packed like a woman with no history.grabbed her only
>heirloom-- the CD player given to her by her brother, before
>he had killed Father. "Take dis and put it on yo’ ears. I’ll
>be back”. She had waited. Rockin’ back and fro to the Michael
>Jackson tunes that could tell you of innocence that even
>Michael Jackson, she was sure didn’t know about. She rocked
>until she soiled herself.
>
>Until she couldn’t hold her pee any longer.
>
>The last song on the disc was Heartbreak Hotel. She tiptoed
>down the hall, smelling the thickness of the blood before she
>saw it. It made ripples in the overused parts of the carpet
>creating a river from one end of the wall to the other.
>Walking backward, she went back to the room, climbed out the
>window calling out for her brother in a stern but soft voice.
>When she heard no reply, she began to run down the dirt road
>into the cornstalks with her shoes in her hands.
>
>Memories of old chicken grease and Vaseline slathered in her
>insides when he couldn’t find a condom clapsed her mind.
>
>She had $200. It wouldn’t take her far, but it would take her
>beyond watermelon patches, big hands and the cool dirt that
>swallowed her shame and guilt.She looked around nervously as
>if Father’s ghost would appear and drag her by her ponytail
>all the way back to the white chipped painted house with the
>green porch swinging innnocently.But there was nothing.
>
>
>Nothing except silhouettes of trees and power lines mixed with
>the last smell of honeysuckle in the darkness.
>
>
>
>kimabe 2006

ASIEM
Charter member
4154 posts
Mon Feb-12-07 10:48 PM

14. "REpowerful writing"
In response to Reply # 0

creative energy sometimes is left wanting to be noticed in your case it seems there can never be enough attention given
you grab readers and capture them in a grip like a vice only thing no one wants to be let go so...
write sum mo'

"keep pennin till the earth birth's your rightful seed then nurture it wit more ink..."
ASIEM
"Kuun fiyah Kuun" Quran
(Be and it is)
" A writer takes his pen to write the words again that all in love is fair" Stevie Wonder

invisible ink
1083 posts
Tue Feb-13-07 12:49 PM

17. "RE: REpowerful writing"
In response to Reply # 14

I'm working on it love...the book is coming this summer...miss k

audre lorde

PhotoSynthesis
Charter member
16101 posts
Tue Feb-13-07 12:35 AM

15. "So ... Was there? ..."
In response to Reply # 0

A revision?

>you know they'll be a revision(lol)...big ups to ya...k

I'm just askin' cuz I obviously missed this when it was originally posted -- (I wasn't around during the Summer)

Reading ^this^ gave me chills & goosebumps!

That means it's good -- DAMN GOOD! --

A guitar string vibrating, a measure of my soul, a breech in the silence --
I've always felt like words come through me & I write them down... they have no master --- gsquared ♥

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/2/photosynthesis_music.htm

invisible ink
1083 posts
Tue Feb-13-07 12:48 PM

16. "RE: So ... Was there? ..."
In response to Reply # 15

no revision...that's gio's territory(lol)...u know how he do it
(where gio at anyway?)...me...i let ride out my head like wind on the back of my naps in january...can you dig that .....thanks for digesting it ...miss k

audre lorde

HueyNewton
Member since Feb 27th 2005
1923 posts
Tue Feb-13-07 02:10 PM

18. "RE: flash fiction"
In response to Reply # 0

very engrossing piece of work ya got, i picture visuals, nice ~

they showed us phYsically, we could reach infinitY, but mentally, through the century, we lost our identitY
-Rakim

Lobby Freestyle Board topic #58152 Previous topic | Next topic