Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749908

Subject: "What Have You Watched Lately? 2024" Previous topic | Next topic
will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 12:26 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What Have You Watched Lately? 2024"

this is more for anything that doesn't merit its own post or came out a while ago

--------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The Curse (Showtime)
Jan 31st 2024
amazon, hulu, and then more of nothing
Jan 31st 2024
30 Coins
Jan 31st 2024
this show is ridiculous
Feb 06th 2024
      season 2 is definitely a mixed bag
Feb 06th 2024
Bookie HBO Max, quick binge
Feb 02nd 2024
Griselda (Netflix) this wasn't good
Feb 04th 2024
RE: Griselda (Netflix) this wasn't good
Feb 04th 2024
      yeah I mean Narcos took alot of liberties too
Feb 05th 2024
Most Wanted (1997) and Entrapment (1999)
Feb 05th 2024
I miss these 80s and 90s movies lost in time
Feb 05th 2024
i miss low budget, artsy 90's movies
Feb 06th 2024
Love Most Wanted
Feb 15th 2024
Monsieur Spade
Feb 06th 2024
Update: One of the worst finale's I can remember
Mar 08th 2024
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)
Feb 08th 2024
legendary PSH performance.
Feb 16th 2024
Lone Star (Sayles, 1996)
Feb 10th 2024
An absolute all-time great American film.
Feb 16th 2024
Right now, just rewatches/listens of Shameless and Game Of Thrones
Feb 16th 2024
sadly i think later Shameless seasons ruined it for me
Feb 18th 2024
      Shameless was great in the beginning
Mar 08th 2024
Been binging Columbo lately
Feb 18th 2024
Animal Kingdom (2010)
Mar 08th 2024
Elsbeth. I loved her on The Good Wife & The Good Fight
Mar 08th 2024
The Handmaiden (2016)
Mar 17th 2024
Incredible movie.
Mar 18th 2024
AMAZING MOVIE!
Mar 19th 2024
Rewatching The Bureau/The Regime
Mar 19th 2024
El Conde (2023)
Apr 14th 2024
Sugar (2024)
Apr 16th 2024
Baby Reindeer is pretty great.
Apr 16th 2024
Was gonna chime in with this as well
Apr 16th 2024

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 12:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The Curse (Showtime)"
In response to Reply # 0

somewhat of a Nathan Fielder fan and definitely a Benny Safdie fan, this was a crazy amalgamation of...all sorts of things

Emma Stone is very good and Fielder evokes a car-crash watchability that I haven't seen on TV since Gervais in The Office

even though its 10 episodes, each one of them could have been about 15 minutes shorter as there are segments and subplots that drag a little

but every episode had at least one sequence that was absolutely worth the run time

--------

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 01:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "amazon, hulu, and then more of nothing"
In response to Reply # 0

i haven't yet checked but knew amazon was putting ads in prime video, as if the annual subscription weren't good enough. it irks me they want to add a surcharge for the same ad-free experience it's been, as opposed to a new benefit. i hadn't watched prime originals thinking they weren't going anywhere, but under the circumstances, i finally watched...

Fleabag
Swarm
I'm a Virgo
Sound of Metal
One Night in Miami...
Jean-Claude Van Johnson
The Vast of Night (shoutout to stylez dainty, i think?)
Forever
Tales from the Loop

enjoyed 'em all. would've kept going, but i managed to open my birthday email from hulu this year and saw i had a free month, ad-free.

Devs
Kid 90
Prey
The Old Man
Top of the Lake: China Girl

yep, i'd been waiting a while. again, i wish i had more time to watch, but i'll enjoy this and cancel, leaving just prime, now with ads.

i expect to do something i haven't done since the '90s: rewatch my favorites. no subscription fee, no danger of the original content being yanked, no hype machine. that and keep going to the movies.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Wed Jan-31-24 07:37 AM

3. "30 Coins "
In response to Reply # 0

Loved the first season even if most eps felt a little long. Second season hasn't hit as hard largely because of the expanded cast, the grueling hell sequences, how all the characters are scattered across the globe. Some of the Sam Raimi/Evil Dead fun of season 1 is lost as the story expands.

It's still fun though and I love that Paul Giamatti is more than game. Really glad a gory, goofy show like this exists.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Tue Feb-06-24 01:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "this show is ridiculous"
In response to Reply # 3

the first episode of the series felt like a series finale. maybe i'll check out season 2.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

navajo joe
6574 posts
Tue Feb-06-24 06:14 PM

13. "season 2 is definitely a mixed bag"
In response to Reply # 12

but if you think season 1 is ridiculous just wait.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Fri Feb-02-24 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Bookie HBO Max, quick binge"
In response to Reply # 0

Not great, but low stakes, funny, quick episodes. Fun. Pulled me in and I keep watching

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sun Feb-04-24 05:20 PM

5. "Griselda (Netflix) this wasn't good"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm a pretty big fan of Narcos and Griselda Blanco is one of the most interesting crime figures ever so this was a bummer.

you can't really hammer the point that in order to succeed in the game, she had to be far more fierce than the men, then undercut that point by sanitizing what an absolute sociopath she really was. Unlike the job they did with Escobar, she was far too sympathetic. girlboss single mom trying to make her way in the patriarchy of the drug biz who later got overly paranoid and went mad. alot of the murderous shit they show is watered down versions of things she did in real life, or show her feeling bad about it. The real Griselda was an unrepentant monster, at least according to every single person who ever knew her, except maybe her son. That's why all these other killers were terrified of her

also Vegara was kinda bad imo. it was hard to take her seriously.

ProgressiveSound
Member since Mar 11th 2003
2053 posts
Sun Feb-04-24 11:01 PM

6. "RE: Griselda (Netflix) this wasn't good"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah the show definitely downplayed how ruthless she was in real life.
She didn’t look like Sofía Vegara either so you know they were going for a fantasy tale.

I do need to catch up on Narcos though for a more serious take on things.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Mon Feb-05-24 02:12 PM

8. "yeah I mean Narcos took alot of liberties too"
In response to Reply # 6

but they didn't water down Pablo Escobar. They still managed to make him compelling to watch without trying to make people sympathize with him.

I guess the difference is they told Narcos more, or at least narrated, from law enforcement's perspective

They tried to have that angle as a thing here but it was kinda haf-assed, like it seemed to mostly be there to show a parallel dynamic of what an exceptional woman had to do to in succeed such a male dominated institution, compared to the mediocre grab-ass types she worked with. It's not a bad or false thing to show, just that the execution was ehhh.

dagu
Member since Nov 25th 2005
1651 posts
Mon Feb-05-24 09:29 AM

7. "Most Wanted (1997) and Entrapment (1999)"
In response to Reply # 0

Anyone else have Bounce TV?

Most Wanted was the perfect action movie to have on in the background while doing random internet shit on my phone. It's also terrible.

I used to love Entrapment around when it first came out because I was a certain age at the time. I hadn't seen it in a really long time.

---------------------

http://www.last.fm/user/dagu85

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Mon Feb-05-24 11:00 PM

9. "I miss these 80s and 90s movies lost in time"
In response to Reply # 7

not prestige or modern enough to make it on streaming

we need an HD version of Surviving The Game (1994)

--------

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Tue Feb-06-24 10:23 AM

10. "i miss low budget, artsy 90's movies"
In response to Reply # 9

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5180 posts
Thu Feb-15-24 06:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "Love Most Wanted "
In response to Reply # 7

It's basically a Shooter with a really low budget. Get some classic John Vought over acting out of it.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

navajo joe
6574 posts
Tue Feb-06-24 10:42 AM

11. "Monsieur Spade"
In response to Reply # 0

It's rather slow and the plotting byzantine but it's definitely scratched the itch that Perry Mason failed to for me.

Clive Owen is really good even if his accent is all over the place. It's also gorgeous to look at.

navajo joe
6574 posts
Fri Mar-08-24 11:36 AM

23. "Update: One of the worst finale's I can remember"
In response to Reply # 11

Just abysmal. I actually stopped watching about 2/3 of the way through

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Thu Feb-08-24 10:15 PM

14. "The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-08-24 10:15 PM by will_5198

Matt Damon does a fine job as a psychopath, but the weird American accents by Cate Blanchett and Jude Law are very distracting

best part about this movie is the very excellent location shots in Europe

--------

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Feb-16-24 01:02 AM

17. "legendary PSH performance."
In response to Reply # 14

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

navajo joe
6574 posts
Sat Feb-10-24 10:38 AM

15. "Lone Star (Sayles, 1996)"
In response to Reply # 0

What if the Great American Novel was actually a movie?

It's actually crazy it's taken me almost 30 years to see this but now I get the hype.

A true classic of American filmmaking that is just as timely and vital today three decades after its release if not more so.

Would pair well with Burnett's To Sleep with Anger

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Feb-16-24 01:03 AM

18. "An absolute all-time great American film. "
In response to Reply # 15

So fucking stoked that Criterion gave us a release this year. Painfully, painfully overdue.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44862 posts
Fri Feb-16-24 02:13 AM

19. "Right now, just rewatches/listens of Shameless and Game Of Thrones"
In response to Reply # 0

I steamrolled Shameless until I neared the end of S8, then needed a break.

It’s quite the catharsis for me, but still needed a shift from relatively realistic misery and struggle toward a more fantastical brand that doesn’t hit quite so close to home.

Both hold up exceptionally well. I’m just at Blackwater on GOT, so I haven’t hot the doldrums just yet.

Between that, I’m running back through three audiobooks:

-Ghost In The Wires. Think Catch Me If You Can, but with one of the early GOAT hackers, Kevin Mitnick. RIP. This is a fun read with a littany of “holy shit” moments. Kevin was brilliant.

-Three Body Problem, getting ready for the Netflix show. It’s a bit more dry than I remember..

-The Remaining. I still wish this got the Walking Dead treatment. Someday, I suppose. But it’s a great zombie survival series.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sun Feb-18-24 02:43 PM

20. "sadly i think later Shameless seasons ruined it for me"
In response to Reply # 19

which weirdly enough was the opposite with my GoT rewatch

I also never finished Shameless, and the last season or two that I did watch, i had one foot out the door.

when i tried a rewatch, I assumed i could rekindle, because i really really dug it for a while, but i couldn't get into it at all.

with GoT the rewatch it reminded me immediately how amazing it was at one point despite how depressingly bad the landing was.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Fri Mar-08-24 12:24 PM

24. "Shameless was great in the beginning "
In response to Reply # 20

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sun Feb-18-24 03:41 PM

21. "Been binging Columbo lately "
In response to Reply # 0

Generally don’t watch cop shows, but goddamn if it isn’t one of the best. Peter Falk stumbling and bumbling his way to exposing the murderer every time never gets old. Hilarious that he’s constantly referencing his wife and we never meet her, but his dog makes an appearance every other episode.

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Fri Mar-08-24 11:30 AM

22. "Animal Kingdom (2010)"
In response to Reply # 0

still my favorite Michod; he never quite topped the combination of atmosphere and ensemble in future features

I haven't seen nearly everything Jacki Weaver and Ben Mendelsohn have done in their prolific careers, but their performances here are top rank

gritty crime family tragedies are candy to me

--------

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16840 posts
Fri Mar-08-24 05:29 PM

25. "Elsbeth. I loved her on The Good Wife & The Good Fight"
In response to Reply # 0

first episode was pretty good, sucks that I have to wait until April till the new episodes run

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Sun Mar-17-24 06:56 PM

26. "The Handmaiden (2016)"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm a Park fan (Korean Night Dogg) so not sure why I missed this for so long

Park does an amazing job creating these self-contained, almost surreal worlds that seem entirely believable -- while orchestrating controlled chaos within

loved it

--------

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Mar-18-24 04:54 PM

27. "Incredible movie."
In response to Reply # 26

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Tue Mar-19-24 08:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
28. "AMAZING MOVIE!"
In response to Reply # 26

Loved the twists!

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

navajo joe
6574 posts
Tue Mar-19-24 09:35 AM

29. "Rewatching The Bureau/The Regime"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-19-24 09:50 AM by navajo joe

I'm surprised they never tried to do an American remake of this. Could have been peak prestige TV and a good alternative to the usual action-based spy-fare we get.

As to the regime, it's such a weird series. It's seems to want to be satire but it's not really satirizing anything specific or saying all that much interesting. It's not nearly funny or incisive enough to be particularly memorable other than Winslet's and Riseborough's performances. The supporting players add almost nothing although Martha Plimpton shows up for an episode as a guest star. Imagine a toothless, tonally confused and not particularly funny Iannucci show.

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Sun Apr-14-24 12:22 PM

30. "El Conde (2023)"
In response to Reply # 0

this was trippy, witty, and a lot of fun. explaining it as anything more than a "historical satire vampire movie" would not do justice to the layers of surreal that occur here. love how the kids are some of the most evil beings in the movie.

striking to watch and underrated in my estimation.

--------

navajo joe
6574 posts
Tue Apr-16-24 07:49 AM

31. "Sugar (2024)"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure this deserves its own post. It's interesting and has a really strong premier episode. I'm a little scared about where its going. I was perfectly happy with this being a standard detective show with some unique stylistic flourishes.

Kirby showing up in anything is always a huge value-add. Put her in everything.

The greatest mystery here is why this show has episodes that are half the length of final season Ted Lasso episodes.

There's no reason a show like this should have 32 minute episodes including previous episode recaps and end credits.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Tue Apr-16-24 06:22 PM

32. "Baby Reindeer is pretty great. "
In response to Reply # 0

Nothing like it on TV (ok maybe fleabag) but it's a show that would never get made in the US because of how complexed and nuanced it can be.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
682 posts
Tue Apr-16-24 10:51 PM

33. "Was gonna chime in with this as well"
In response to Reply # 32

A difficult watch in some ways but really unique and explored some deep topics. Plus the eps are only 30 mins or so.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749908 Previous topic | Next topic