Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749228

Subject: "The Zone of Interest (Jonathan Glazer, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8616 posts
Fri Oct-13-23 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Zone of Interest (Jonathan Glazer, 2023)"

Saw this shit Tuesday morning.

Considering the week the Middle East has had, it is chilling to watch something like this.

Very experimental. Very evil by design.

It's really something to show the mundane day to day life of a loving Nazi family while at parts of the film you can hear gunshots in the distance as well as faint screams. The Nazi family lives next door to Auschwitz.

Seriouly they live in the nice house with a pool, garden and a staffed house and over the garden wall atrocities are being commited to no care of the family. Whenever you hear screams or gunshots the family doesn't flich or aknowdleges it. Even the smokestack with ashes constantly flowing out is nothing to them.

Again, this is very experimental and slow to show the mundane life of evil people. A haunting film.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I dunno, Glazer is a genius, but I didn't really vibe with this
Feb 04th 2024
Same, liked the idea more than the actual film
Feb 04th 2024
      My first thought was this would be a great short film.
Apr 24th 2024
maybe my favorite of 2023
Apr 12th 2024
For the first time ever, I think this got a huge boost from the living r...
Apr 25th 2024
Can you describe this a little bit more?
Apr 25th 2024
RE: Can you describe this a little bit more?
Apr 26th 2024
Interesting. I haven't read the Glazer interviews.
Apr 25th 2024

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Sun Feb-04-24 04:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I dunno, Glazer is a genius, but I didn't really vibe with this"
In response to Reply # 0

Too restrained/dull for its own good imo, perhaps a bit pretentious. Were there horrifying/haunting/memorable moments or images? Yes, but I dunno if it justifies the movie as a whole.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12494 posts
Sun Feb-04-24 08:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Same, liked the idea more than the actual film"
In response to Reply # 1

As it was, I thought it would work better as a short film. A mundane day in the life of this Nazi family that has horrifying sounds in the background, leading up to that meeting where he approves the rotating crematorium. After that point, I was sorta waiting for it to hit another gear with a third act that truly deals with the horrors being inflicted on the other side of the wall. The ending was an interesting choice, but didn’t exactly land for me.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49443 posts
Wed Apr-24-24 06:19 PM

4. "My first thought was this would be a great short film."
In response to Reply # 2

Or if the home was preserved, it would make an excellent museum tour.

But I have to admit I found it to be a boring movie.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

will_5198
Charter member
63113 posts
Fri Apr-12-24 07:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "maybe my favorite of 2023"
In response to Reply # 0

Glazer is hit or miss with me, but there was something here that was so chilling and engrossing

a huge part was the cinematography -- every shot seemed meticulously framed with just the right amount of light and color (not familiar with Lukasz Zal's work before this, but damn)

what was the point? well I think we've all seen enough movies that have covered the Holocaust from every angle, but this one had me stare into the abyss of evil from the most mundane perspective imaginable -- which made it all the more haunting

--------

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Thu Apr-25-24 12:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "For the first time ever, I think this got a huge boost from the living r..."
In response to Reply # 0

These people have a nice place to live. For the most part, they're pretty...cordial, at least, with the people around them. And they're just doing some basic homemaker activities, dancing around getting too specific about work, raising kids, enjoying the fruits of their labor.

But that fucking SOUND in the background, the entire time. So inescapable and dreadful, it never lets you forget where this dumb little story is taking place. To the point once the husband is sent off to discuss the, uh, new logistics they'll be implementing thanks to the (I think maybe not even alluded to) advances of USA and Russia, I felt that sick empathy Glazer was trying to get at in interviews I read afterward.

NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT in the sense...I think it's easy to conflate empathy with sympathy, so let me be clear I didn't feel sorry for him at all. I was even more disgusted. Removed from the idyllic home he'd built, forced to describe the work he was doing in such clinical language in such a sterile setting, I think he realized how evil he was at the same time the movie wanted to hammer home that most awful officers of the state, particularly of that era, don't recognize who they are until it's too late.

I was reminded of one of the more, I don't know if controversial is the right word but definitely divisive scenes near the end of Band of Brothers, when the Nazi general is given a moment to address his troops and delivers a speech at least as rousing as any other in the series. Zone of Interest is a story about people who believed in their own supremacy and idea of absolution that they could be rendered domicile by nothing more than a walled garden.

I'll probably never watch this thing again, and ultimately I don't think it fully makes the arguments it wants to without a little nudge from the viewer. But reclining on a couch with a couple of beers and a 4K TV hooked into a decent speaker system...I was definitely on the edge of sobbing constantly. It emphasizes how comprehensively finding comfort in your own life can erect a wall between you and the rest of us.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Walleye
Charter member
15524 posts
Thu Apr-25-24 08:39 AM

6. "Can you describe this a little bit more?"
In response to Reply # 5

>ultimately I
>don't think it fully makes the arguments it wants to without a
>little nudge from the viewer.

This fascinated me because I was following your thoughtful review with fascination and initially read this part as praise because that's how I would have meant that same sentiment. But it looks like it's a (slight and careful, but still) knock on the film. So can you tell us a little bit more about how you sense this? Not argumentative, just really curious.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Fri Apr-26-24 12:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: Can you describe this a little bit more?"
In response to Reply # 6
Fri Apr-26-24 12:45 AM by Nodima

I had just been reading some reviews like Manohla Dargis' in the NYT and some similar sentiments on Letterboxd that the movie feels a little "hollow". Which seems to be entirely the point, and an excellent example of movie as metaphor. But it got me to thinking about the final scenes.

Specifically, in the final moments the dry heaving coupled with the flash forwards to the museum point to a sort of sterilization of ugliness/evil, which again is the point of the movie. Thematically, it's incredibly strong.

But combined with some of the vague, vignette-like nature of the rest of the movie - did it ever make clear whether the kid being bullied was a younger brother or a house slave; why did Junior Hitler want to gas his own kind - the feeling of disassociation gets punctured a bit.

So when I saw several smart people rejecting the idea that Zone of Interest completely explains itself, I understood/stand. Then I considered how much of it is really just slice of life mundanity - again, THE POINT - that makes for a pretty dull portrayal of an incurably dark scenario.

I love bleak movies - Beau Is Afraid and Synecdoche New York are two of my favorites of the past 20 years, Virginia Woolf one of my favorite classics - but thinking about this reminded of a canonical film I've always hated, Ingmar Bergman's Wild Strawberries. For me, it's similarly dull and hopeless - or as Dargis said about this one, art for art's sake.

With so much time removed, and so many war epics behind us, I was deeply moved by the reminder that much of this genocide was built on the promise of upper middle class quality of life for the chosen people who weren't Chosen People. But that's what you as a viewer have to bring to this movie, because the characters are too self-absorbed to even hint at the dichotomy of their situation.

I'm a massive sucker for sound design, and the immediately famous quote from the lead sound editor about this movie is, paraphrasing, "there's the movie you see on the screen and the movie you hear in the background, which is arguably the real movie." If that doesn't work, well...there's certainly a lot more drama in the background than the foreground, and I can understand why people might confuse austerity for obfuscation.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49443 posts
Thu Apr-25-24 11:43 AM

7. "Interesting. I haven't read the Glazer interviews. "
In response to Reply # 5

But I would say, I think someone could easily take issue with the film if the intent was show that on some level Rudolf Höss knew what he was doing was evil UNLESS their is some historical record that shows he actually expressed some remorse.

I don't know enough to weigh in but if I compared it to American Slavery I could say not nearly enough people who participated in American Slavery recognized on any level what they were doing was wrong. It was just how they thought the world goes.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #749228 Previous topic | Next topic