Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748847

Subject: "Are We In The Midst Of A VFX Crisis?" Previous topic | Next topic
.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Thu Aug-10-23 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Are We In The Midst Of A VFX Crisis?"

why are we getting these $200+ mil movies and shows with such shitty effects?

like effects looking extra shitty in trailers. the studio saying thats only because theyre still in post-production and the effects will be much better on the end product. and the effects on the end product are just regular shitty instead of extra shitty.

why are studios so comfortable releasing shitty vfx in their projects out to the public (on major franchises/properties no less) and what the fuck is all the money being spent on?

this is maybe first era in recent memory where it feels like there is a significant shift backwards across the entire industry.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My kids watch a LOT of marvel and Disney, and it ALL looks like shit
Aug 10th 2023
There is a semi-recent documentary on YouTube that outlines the issues
Aug 10th 2023
apparently the marvel vfx workers just voted to unionize.
Aug 13th 2023
Rewatched Dune Part One recently and was stunned how good it looked
Aug 23rd 2023
I posted this video a while back about the VFX crisis.
Aug 23rd 2023
Thanks for posting the video
Aug 25th 2023

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18388 posts
Thu Aug-10-23 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My kids watch a LOT of marvel and Disney, and it ALL looks like shit "
In response to Reply # 0

The Lion King remake looks like PS3, and I didn’t take them to see Little Mermaid their mom did but that looked atrocious in the trailers

Ant-Man 3 is the worst CG I’ve seen since Mummy Returns

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Thu Aug-10-23 11:48 PM

2. "There is a semi-recent documentary on YouTube that outlines the issues"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't think of the title. (i think bwood posted the link in here earlier in the year.)

But basically, it said that the effects houses are getting squeezed.

There's poor project management on the side of the studios. Often times directors who aren't familiar with the process of DFX don't leave enough time for the effects companies to do their best.

Also, while actors, producers, and other execs get points on projects, effects companies don't get additional compensation if a film does extraordinarily well. So, they're not incentivized like studios or actors to do outstanding work. I believe there was some talk of the guild of DFX companies lobbying the studios for points but I don't know how that process turned out.

Also, I think we, as a viewing public, have a higher standard for what is quality FX work. So, effects that would have blown our minds 10 years ago seem passe now.

It doesn't help that the number of directors who have a good working knowledge of how to deploy effects seems to be very, very small.

For every, Cameron or Villaneueve or Nolan or Jackson, there are dozens of other directors (or Marvel Studios) who can't seem to quite stick the landings of their set pieces.

It's good that the technology is so sophisticated that the effect is basically only limited by the filmmaker's imagination. But there is a hard limit on how much work humans can do to create these visions. Unless the production process gets more efficient and stable, the effects companies are going to be blamed for shoddy effects when it would be more fair to share some of the blame to oversights made earlier in the production process.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Sun Aug-13-23 12:45 AM

3. "apparently the marvel vfx workers just voted to unionize."
In response to Reply # 2

https://www.wired.com/story/marvel-vfx-unionization-big-deal/

good stuff.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15309 posts
Wed Aug-23-23 12:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Rewatched Dune Part One recently and was stunned how good it looked"
In response to Reply # 0

It's maybe my least favorite of Villenueve's movies because I can't help but feel like I'm supposed to love the books (I've never read) as much as he clearly does but to the credit of whatever combination of his passion and Legendary's commitment to not sucking ass when it matters (ie. the Nolan and Godzilla/Kong movies) one of the greatest joys of that movie is that every single effects shot looks like it's really happening on camera. Every shot is so gorgeous and if I was ever thinking about the CGI, it was only because I was reminding myself none of that military tech could be achieved practically.

Given the state of pretty much every other movie that takes more inspiration from Marvel than John Wick, it's honestly confounding that Dune looks as natural as it does. Especially considering that shortlist of truly magical CGI still includes movies as old as Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park.

There are some relatively recent, far less complex movies with great VFX like Life of Pi, the quieter bits of Alita Battle Angel and Ex Machina, as well as some overwhelmingly subtle shots from Inception and the modern Planet of the Apes trilogy, but when John Wick 4 hit and that franchise finally had to employ some hefty VFX work for the car sequence, I felt like they were authoring the same call to action as the fights from the first movie: be better, you jerks.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Wed Aug-23-23 09:55 AM

5. "I posted this video a while back about the VFX crisis."
In response to Reply # 0

https://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=746243&mesg_id=746243&listing_type=search

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eALwDyS7rB0&t=634s

Good info/explanation on what's going on. This was from before the writers and actors strike and I think the outcome could impact vfx especially with them deciding to unionize.

But the fact that so many separate studios work on projects along with the timelines involved is a huge issue.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Fri Aug-25-23 09:13 PM

6. "Thanks for posting the video"
In response to Reply # 5

That is the clip I referred to in my above post.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748847 Previous topic | Next topic