Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748424

Subject: "No Hard Feelings (Gene Stupnitsky, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Wed Jun-21-23 05:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"No Hard Feelings (Gene Stupnitsky, 2023)"
Wed Jun-21-23 05:28 AM by bwood

It's humorous, not funny. Wish there were some actual jokes.

There's 2 red band trailers. Watch those instead. Nothing you haven't seen before.

Also, I get it was the premiere and all but start the shit on time. I don't need to see the cast and crew come out and take a bow.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Weird but JLaw seems beyond this.
Jun 22nd 2023
Someone has to make movies like "My Tutor (1983)" and "Class (1983)"
Jun 22nd 2023
It’s fun and has heart. They could have went Wedding Crashers with it
Nov 10th 2023
I made this post before peeping the flick
Nov 10th 2023
surprised me, worth a look on a late night scroll
Nov 09th 2023
It's a perfect plane movie.
Nov 10th 2023
The one time Natasha Lyonne should have beat out JLaw for a part
Nov 13th 2023
Natasha isn't attractive tho.
Nov 15th 2023
      That scene was repulsive even if with JLaw.
Nov 15th 2023
      Absolutely disagreed on the fight scene.
Nov 15th 2023
           Turning female nudity into joke makes sense
Nov 15th 2023
                I mean, it works for dudes.
Nov 15th 2023

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Thu Jun-22-23 09:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Weird but JLaw seems beyond this."
In response to Reply # 0

Am I tripping? Has her career sunk to this? Or is this better than I think it is?

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

handle
Charter member
18955 posts
Thu Jun-22-23 10:32 AM

2. "Someone has to make movies like "My Tutor (1983)" and "Class (1983)""
In response to Reply # 1

>Am I tripping? Has her career sunk to this? Or is this better
>than I think it is?

I mean this is what I expect for the slate of non super hero films to include, "Sex Comedies."

She probably chose it because it's a comedy, she gets to play a mess, and she gets to play hot-and-horny (she's 32 - probably too old to be cast as Clint Eastwood's love interest in Hollywood.)

Her next 5 films on IMDB seem to be NOT comedies.

OR she needs the cash.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44862 posts
Fri Nov-10-23 11:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "It’s fun and has heart. They could have went Wedding Crashers with it"
In response to Reply # 1

But it’s a much more subdued film.

I think she works quite well in this and would like to see her do more comedies.

What she’s capable of is “beyond” this, but at no point did I feel this was “beneath” her.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

spades
44258 posts
Fri Nov-10-23 12:39 PM

5. "I made this post before peeping the flick"
In response to Reply # 1

I see why she did this.

The script must have been amazing, and this film is fun, and funny, and has heart.

Good shit.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15313 posts
Thu Nov-09-23 05:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "surprised me, worth a look on a late night scroll"
In response to Reply # 0

It's formulaic for sure, but that just makes it comfortable. And sometimes it comes off pressed to be "shocking". If you've heard about the nude scene, its notability starts and stops at "she's definitely naked".

But the two leads have great chemistry, largely because the actor playing the kid is a real talent. There's some good laughs early around his awkwardness, dampend by the premise, but overall the structure is more like an 80s comedy about unlikely friends than the marketing would have you believe.

But more than anything, I admit I've been pretty bad about keeping up with movies this year and, again, the formula demand exactly this...but there's a scene in the middle of this movie that not only has no business being as affecting as it is. I saw a tweet from one of the Russo brothers making the rounds that described it as pure cinema and he's totally right. The situation's an absolute contrivance, but otherwise what J Law and Andrew Feldman pull off should be an iconic rom-com scene for this generation.

I'm not sure it works as well without 40 minutes of stakes piled on top of it, but even if this is the only thing you ever see from this movie I think Lawrence's performance would still sting the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAM-NNK_LYc

This is probably where it's most obvious the director spent years on The Office, because I can't stress enough that Feldman crushes this but it's also exactly the sort of sappiness that show specialized in weaponizing.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Fri Nov-10-23 02:29 PM

6. "It's a perfect plane movie."
In response to Reply # 0

It was solid. Nothing incredible, but really fun. JLaw very much committed to it, Matthew Broderick was great, it had real heart (the Maneater scene was touching), and overall just a mindless fun one.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Nov-13-23 11:20 AM

7. "The one time Natasha Lyonne should have beat out JLaw for a part"
In response to Reply # 0

I am sorry but I think I have to stand in the, this part was beneath JLaw line.

I think she was too hot for the part. I had a hard time thinking a woman like Jlaw would have a hard time finding cash in the Hamptons, especially if you are willing to have sex for money. I could name 3 bars she could sit and have all her bills paid in one night.

And here is where my age distorts my reading of a movie like this but there was a scene where JLaw shows up at a younger persons party looking for the 19 year old male lead and guys and girls were laughing at her like she was some gross old dinosaur. Maybe I truly don't know Gen Z but I thought young boy would be the man showing up with JLaw.

Maybe its a bit of chauvinism on my part but I could totally buy the young male actor trying his hardest to seduce an older JLaw character but I couldn't buy a Jlaw trying so desperately to have sex with a young male character and him not being interested. I know that's what makes the movie not a 80s comedy but I think I am too old to wrap my head around this. I found JLaw throwing herself at the boy a bit gross.

Anyway, I agree the dinner scene was great. I just can't get with the premise.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

spades
44258 posts
Wed Nov-15-23 11:40 AM

8. "Natasha isn't attractive tho."
In response to Reply # 7

From the audience's standpoint, the female lead HAS to be attractive, especially considering the naked fight scene. If that scene is repulsive it could tank the whole flick.

And it definitely would have for me.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Wed Nov-15-23 01:04 PM

9. "That scene was repulsive even if with JLaw. "
In response to Reply # 8

I don't think that scene revolves around Jlaw's attractiveness.

I think Natasha Lyonne is attractive enough when cleaned up. Like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6PM7vdmPE0

I do think its a slightly different movie with Natasha Lyonne. But it is a movie that makes more sense to me.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Ryan M
43745 posts
Wed Nov-15-23 01:28 PM

10. "Absolutely disagreed on the fight scene."
In response to Reply # 8

I mean, the whole point of it was turning female nudity into a joke in the way many comedies do male nudity.

17x NBA Champions

spades
44258 posts
Wed Nov-15-23 04:48 PM

11. "Turning female nudity into joke makes sense"
In response to Reply # 10

but does that joke work as well, if the female in question isn't attractive?

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

Ryan M
43745 posts
Wed Nov-15-23 05:42 PM

12. "I mean, it works for dudes."
In response to Reply # 11

Is the Borat fight scene AS funny if there isn't an overweight dude in it? I don't think so.

17x NBA Champions

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748424 Previous topic | Next topic