Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748327

Subject: "BlackBerry (Johnson, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Fri Jun-09-23 03:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"BlackBerry (Johnson, 2023)"

flick about r.i.m. and the blackberry phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXL_HDzBQsM

fam i was shocked by how good this was. i mean...would you believe someone if they told you they made a dope low-budget non-comedy with a completely b list cast consisting of people like jay baruchel and cary elwes?

everybody nails their roles here.

the scene stealer is glenn howerton tho. if this were a full series on one of the top streamers he would prolly have some hardware coming his way.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: BlackBerry (Johnson, 2023)
Jun 09th 2023
good stuff. i gotta go check out his older work.
Jun 09th 2023
A very good biopic in the vein of Social Network.
Jun 10th 2023
RE: A very good biopic in the vein of Social Network.
Jun 10th 2023
Def interested now.
Jun 12th 2023
      Yeah, Not feeling those bizness propaganda films.
Jun 12th 2023
           Same. They're worthless.
Jun 13th 2023
           I enjoyed Flamin Hot a lot
Jun 25th 2023
Quite the surprisingly compelling movie
Jun 10th 2023

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Fri Jun-09-23 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: BlackBerry (Johnson, 2023)"
In response to Reply # 0

Seeing this tonight in Toronto with the director in attendance. Been meaning to for a while.

Looking forward to it, only heard good things. I've been a fan of Matt Johnson for a while, though this is probably the most 'mainstream' thing he's done.

They tend to be pretty subversive in a way, and like 'film student' clever. Operation Avalanche and The Dirties are interesting a worth a watch though. How they made Operation Avalanche kind of makes the movie itself more interesting (using public NASA visit privileges to make a movie about how they faked the moon landing) The Dirties actually gave me chills at the end, might be even more relevant but hard to watch with how mass shootings are happening now.

---------------------
Obviously White

.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Fri Jun-09-23 09:44 PM

2. "good stuff. i gotta go check out his older work."
In response to Reply # 1

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Jun-10-23 12:02 AM

3. "A very good biopic in the vein of Social Network."
In response to Reply # 0

It's definitely NOT one of these hagiographic movies about the creators of brands that we've been seeing lately with Air and Flamin Hot and some of the others. This is very much about the corrupting power of capitalism and how the endless pursuit of greater profit will lead to the decimation of your soul.

Howerton is terrific, even if he's kind of riffing on Dennis here, lol. I hope he gets some Oscar buzz.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

upUPNorth
Member since Oct 12th 2005
1695 posts
Sat Jun-10-23 01:27 PM

4. "RE: A very good biopic in the vein of Social Network."
In response to Reply # 3

Fun stories from my Q&A screening last night.

They mention some film inspirations, one being Network, and said Jim (Glenn's character) was drawing a lot from Robert Duvall in Network.

Also, people who know Jim well apparently told them after that Glenn's Jim is about half of the 'character' the real Jim is lol.
And Jim is the only real person of the three main characters who's seen the film and apparently loves it (showed up at premiere unexpectedly and made everyone tense until he started laughing the loudest of anyone).
While he never actually said anything about Waterloo and vampires, apparently what he actually said to Bettman was far worse, and is one of the only things they had actual transcripts/unrestricted reporting on since sports journalists were following it.

okay, Jim's probably the most interesting lol. When they were first working on the film they were concerned the three might file an injuction to try and stop it being made, so they never tried to reach out to any of them until after. But the other two are far more reserved and not in the public eye anymore.

---------------------
Obviously White

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Jun-12-23 09:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Def interested now."
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jun-12-23 09:37 AM by Brew

>This is very much about
>the corrupting power of capitalism and how the endless pursuit
>of greater profit will lead to the decimation of your soul.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Jun-12-23 04:20 PM

7. "Yeah, Not feeling those bizness propaganda films. "
In response to Reply # 6

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Tue Jun-13-23 08:56 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Same. They're worthless."
In response to Reply # 7

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 01:46 AM

9. "I enjoyed Flamin Hot a lot"
In response to Reply # 7

Great chemistry between the leads and good pacing throughout.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Numba_33
Charter member
19335 posts
Sat Jun-10-23 05:35 PM

5. "Quite the surprisingly compelling movie"
In response to Reply # 0

In addition to the tight script and top tier acting, the hand-held camerawork drew me into this movie a ton. I am a huge fan of Sunny in Philadelphia and knew of this movie because of Glenn Howerton's attachment, but had no interest outside of this post. Glad I gave this a watch. Nice movie that felt nuanced and told the story of the principal characters in a balanced manner.

I hope this movie gets all the appropriate attention and award nominations it deserves.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #748327 Previous topic | Next topic