Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747806

Subject: "The Marvels (Nia DaCosta, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8677 posts
Tue Apr-11-23 09:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Marvels (Nia DaCosta, 2023)"

https://youtu.be/iuk77TjvfmE

I like Nia DaCosta as a director, but I'm gonna see DUNE: PART TWO again when this drops.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This looks fun
Apr 11th 2023
I'm in
Apr 11th 2023
This looks very fun!
Apr 11th 2023
I’d love for them to sneak Blue Marvel in somehow.
Apr 12th 2023
might be the best trailer of the new phase
Apr 12th 2023
Trailer 2 is EPIC because of the music
Jul 21st 2023
I agree, this looks like a wild ride...
Jul 21st 2023
I like Brie's haircut, lol.
Jul 22nd 2023
Free* Ticket via Fandango
Nov 07th 2023
Fun and entertaining, but slight.
Nov 07th 2023
it looks fun.
Nov 08th 2023
RE: The Marvels (Nia DaCosta, 2023)
Nov 08th 2023
You're fine just watching this.
Nov 08th 2023
      RE: You're fine just watching this.
Nov 08th 2023
           Ms. Marvel is good actually
Nov 08th 2023
                RE: Ms. Marvel is good actually
Nov 10th 2023
Really lifeless. As dull as a Marvel movie has ever been.
Nov 10th 2023
Can’t miss post credit scene in this one
Nov 11th 2023
It was fun, but so many parts were rushed
Nov 11th 2023
A fun comic book movie
Nov 13th 2023
Poor villain development...again. But I enjoyed the movie somewhat
Nov 13th 2023
They should've sequenced the flashback scene way earlier.
Nov 13th 2023
      Had the same thought.
Nov 13th 2023
      There's still a differentiation problem for her imo.
Nov 13th 2023
I liked it
Nov 13th 2023
I did enjoy, overall.
Nov 14th 2023
I don't get all the hate this got.
Feb 12th 2024
Totally forgot about this movie...
Feb 25th 2024
"fell asleep twice but overall not bad" is hilarious
Feb 25th 2024
      I ain't even go'n hold you
Feb 26th 2024

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16459 posts
Tue Apr-11-23 10:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This looks fun"
In response to Reply # 0

probably one of my favorite Marvel trailers/teasers in a long time.

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Tue Apr-11-23 11:03 AM

2. "I'm in"
In response to Reply # 0

This looks like *ACTUAL* fun!

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

KnowOne
Charter member
39955 posts
Tue Apr-11-23 02:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "This looks very fun!"
In response to Reply # 0

better than the first one

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23934 posts
Wed Apr-12-23 01:30 AM

4. "I’d love for them to sneak Blue Marvel in somehow."
In response to Reply # 0

A full movie would probably be compared too closely to Black Panther, but his origin is dope and they could show why he hasn’t been there for any past event.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

tomjohn29
Member since Oct 18th 2004
16817 posts
Wed Apr-12-23 08:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "might be the best trailer of the new phase"
In response to Reply # 0

i was not excited...but damn they got me

Navem nu, cuando sol
Tutu nu, vondo nos nu
Vita em, no continous non
Nos nu ekta nos sepe ta, amen

When the sun shades the ship
We sweat and life is not safe
To swim or to touch not
When we unite we hedge amen

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Fri Jul-21-23 11:22 AM

6. "Trailer 2 is EPIC because of the music"
In response to Reply # 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS_qbDztgVY

The trailer for the new Marvel movie "The Marvels" really REALLY went HARD using Intergalactic.

That Wonder Woman one that used Blue Monday was good, this one is better

------------

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22341 posts
Fri Jul-21-23 03:07 PM

7. "I agree, this looks like a wild ride..."
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't too big on the 1st Captain Marvel movie. But this has got me very interested.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15329 posts
Sat Jul-22-23 11:27 PM

8. "I like Brie's haircut, lol."
In response to Reply # 0

It'll be interesting to see if they can make Captain Marvel interesting this time around, I thought I'd seen Zawe Ashton in at least a few things but I guess it's just Velvet Buzzsaw - in any case, I like that the villain has a pretty clean slate to make an impression. I also don't know Kalama at all outside of her role in the Avengers video game a few years ago, and this seems like a very different interpretation of that character? She was basically a Reed Richards type of Hulk in that game...

More than anything, I've wanted as much Teyonah Parris as I can get ever since Dawn in Mad Men, but I hate to admit I missed Chi-raq and Beale Street so I've starved myself aside from Wandavision.

But that first D+ slate was also the last I've seen of the MCU - no Hawkeye, no Ant-Man, no Secret Invasion, no Shang-Chi, no Thor 3, no Dr. Strange 2, no Moon Knight, no Wakanda Forever, no She-Hulk, no Guardians 3...I was late to really getting into the franchise as a whole (I checked out from Thor to Civil War when Spider-Man brought me back heavy and I did all the work) and until the reviews start coming in, it's honestly impossible to say this'd bring me back in given all the confusion surrounding Kang and what they're building towards this time.

Again, very promising trailer though, and maybe that's exciting enough for somebody as checked out as I've been considering the number of fresh faces surrounding a character that so far seems even harder to draw up engaging drama for than post-modern Superman.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Tue Nov-07-23 10:24 AM

9. "Free* Ticket via Fandango"
In response to Reply # 0

Found here:

https://slickdeals.net/f/17042401-the-marvels-2023-imax-movie-ticket-up-to-15-off?src=frontpage_recombee&prop=rcmid-9e3ad146df4a7d075d7f72a6de3d0409

Fandango is offering Up to $15 Off an IMAX Movie Ticket towards The Marvels (2023) when you apply promo code MARVELMONDAYS.

YMMV: Looks like MARVELMONDAY takes $7 off and MARVELMONDAYS takes $15 off. You can stack both codes for $22 off

------------

bwood
8677 posts
Tue Nov-07-23 10:35 PM

10. "Fun and entertaining, but slight."
In response to Reply # 0

I had a lot of fun watching this. Very entertaining. The core team is a joy to watch, but it's also very slight. The villain is wild underdeveloped. Kamala's family was fine in MS. MARVEL. Here they were annoying.

I really wish Nia DaCosta could've done what she really wanted. The comic book paneling was cool. The musical planet was inspired, but it also felt like she had one hand tied behind her back.

Anyways, no post-credits scene BUT there is a mid-credits scene that will probably have y'all hyped.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44259 posts
Wed Nov-08-23 10:59 AM

11. "it looks fun."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm kinda surprised. lol

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4032 posts
Wed Nov-08-23 11:33 AM

12. "RE: The Marvels (Nia DaCosta, 2023)"
In response to Reply # 0

Is it essential to see Ms Marvel and WandaVision before seeing this or do they explain the characters well enough without?

bwood
8677 posts
Wed Nov-08-23 01:44 PM

13. "You're fine just watching this."
In response to Reply # 12

They do 2 minute recaps in flashback form.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Wed Nov-08-23 06:32 PM

14. "RE: You're fine just watching this."
In response to Reply # 13

Oh praise Thanos.

I didnt watch Ms Marvel and even though Im seeing the movie, I still dont wanna Ms Marvel.

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

bwood
8677 posts
Wed Nov-08-23 08:04 PM

15. "Ms. Marvel is good actually "
In response to Reply # 14

That show ia better than this movie

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4032 posts
Fri Nov-10-23 01:48 AM

16. "RE: Ms. Marvel is good actually "
In response to Reply # 15

Lol yeah Im glad I did watch. I haven't finished it yet but saw first 4 episodes and got the gist of the characters. Its one of the better shows. I also did see WandaVision already which wasn't as necessary.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86812 posts
Fri Nov-10-23 03:17 AM

17. "Really lifeless. As dull as a Marvel movie has ever been."
In response to Reply # 0

The story arcs for these characters are given such little screen time, they may as well not exist. Like, I get that it's nice for these things to come in at 100 minutes... but when 85 of those minutes are exposition or mediocre action, it makes it feel even *more* interminable, because you have even less of a reason to care.

Larson and Parris both look bored. Ashton is given the absolute lamest MCU villain to date. Vellani, God bless her, is trying-- and is the only one who looks like she wants to be there, so she's easily the best part of the movie.

I can't believe Nia DaCosta and Sean Bobbitt made this movie. The look of it is so lifeless, so flat, so boring. Compare this to how DaCosta's Candyman looked-- or how ANYTHING Bobbitt's done has looked. Like... this MCU system truly sucks the originality out of some of these creatives, man. It's undeniable. And it's a goddamn shame. Everyone involved-- the actors, the filmmakers, the characters-- deserve better.

I liked the Cats bit, though.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

spirit
Charter member
21468 posts
Sat Nov-11-23 03:43 PM

18. "Can’t miss post credit scene in this one "
In response to Reply # 0

Some of the recent post credit scenes have been throwaways but this one was clutch

Hilarious usage of the Flurken to solve a life threatening problem

Ms Marvel was the heart of the movie but some good scenes between Monica and Carol as well.

Finally a runtime appropriate to the film (most movies do not need to be over two hours)

Safe for kids for the most part.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12519 posts
Sat Nov-11-23 05:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "It was fun, but so many parts were rushed"
In response to Reply # 0

Ms. Marvel is great. I’ll watch anything she’s in. Vellani was born for that role. The action sequences were fun enough. I definitely had a tough time telling what was going on with all the switching.

They sped through lots of plot points here though. I went from “Are they gonna explain why Monica and Carol are being weird?” to “Oh, they’re gonna wrap that up just like that, huh?” Same thing with the villain. The actor was good, just not enough time spent with her story. With her backstory she could have been a strong character.

*Spoilers*

The villain’s demise was WAY too quick and anticlimactic. Also, we basically see the destruction of 2 worlds and then they get back to joking around with each other too quick, right? There’s a better version of this (in an alternate universe) where they actually give a few minutes to the question of whether Captain Marvel is doing more harm than good, but here we really rush through that to get to her saving a dying star, which she didn’t know she could do, but is apparently as easy as brushing her teeth.

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Mon Nov-13-23 12:28 PM

20. "A fun comic book movie"
In response to Reply # 0

Very minor - just like 95% of comic book runs. And it was a comedy.

Brought 3 characters together on a mission. Brought some old friends back. Set up some stuff going forward.

Some things didn't make a huge amount of sense - but that was minor for me. (how did Carol get to that fight so quickly?)

This villain is also not Christopher Nolan's JOKER either - just another in a series of chumps that get punched a little harder than they punch out heroes. Like in, oh, 99% of comic books.

If you're expecting the 33rd movie is a 15 year long series to be better than the previous 32 - well just simply ignore these films going forward.

(Switch over to Netflix and watch the latest Fincher film/series/doc about some sort of contract/serial killer. Or re-watch Tenet 100 times and tell me again that it's understandable. )

We got Spiderverse 2 this year - that'll pretty much be the best comic book film - and probably best film period - this year.

------------

Lach
Charter member
44349 posts
Mon Nov-13-23 01:56 PM

21. "Poor villain development...again. But I enjoyed the movie somewhat"
In response to Reply # 0

I came in thinking I wouldn't enjoy it as I didn't really care for the Captain Marvel movie. But I ended up enjoying this for the most part. Marvel has to stop trying to evolve though and just give the people what they want. If they want to make their money back on these huge budgets.

JFrost1117
23934 posts
Mon Nov-13-23 06:24 PM

23. "They should've sequenced the flashback scene way earlier."
In response to Reply # 21

Up until that point, I was like "Who is this? Should I know who this is?"

Not that I knew who she was after the flashback, but I understood her motivations more.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12519 posts
Mon Nov-13-23 07:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "Had the same thought."
In response to Reply # 23

>Up until that point, I was like "Who is this? Should I know
>who this is?"
>
>Not that I knew who she was after the flashback, but I
>understood her motivations more.

Had they started the movie with that right before they show her uncovering the first bangle it would make the story clearer from the beginning.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86812 posts
Mon Nov-13-23 08:07 PM

25. "There's still a differentiation problem for her imo. "
In response to Reply # 23

Like, at this point, we get that the majority of these villains will have a personal revenge angle, either for their people or for their family. So what makes this villain different? Her powers don't stand out, her henchmen don't really stand out. So even once we know who she is, it still all feels kind of rote.

(Also, there's NO CHANCE that first scene was meant to be that character's introduction. There's no "look at this character and fear her!" framing or anything. She just strolls into the shot and starts chatting, like it's a TNT cable drama in space. Either it was meant to come later in the movie or it was a quick reshoot or... something. Not that many of these Marvel movies put a *ton* of focus on visual style, but I knew I was going to struggle with this movie when it opened like that, lol.)

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16459 posts
Mon Nov-13-23 02:43 PM

22. "I liked it"
In response to Reply # 0

It was fun and the humor hit on this. I think this worked better than most of their recent movies. The mid credit scene was definitely the biggest in a long time.

JFrost1117
23934 posts
Tue Nov-14-23 11:29 PM

26. "I did enjoy, overall."
In response to Reply # 0

-The first movie needed some of this goofiness. I think Guardians has functional goofiness in the bag.
-TP was fine as shit, but her running form on the beach was hilarious.
-I kinda called the mid-credits scene once the jump point closed. Of course, in my mental internal fan-fic, they would introduce mutants a lil smoother.
-It makes me wonder if they’re going to do the “incursions” storyline to condense everyone into the same universe.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52656 posts
Mon Feb-12-24 08:23 PM

27. "I don't get all the hate this got."
In response to Reply # 0

The original was bottom 3 in the MCU for me. It had a tough job of doing an origin story using that awkward flashback format. I never really understood who Captain Marvel was or how her powers work.

They fixed that here. She also has way more of a personality now. I think she works out way better on a team. The only thing I wish they could fix is that she has the same problem as Thor. She can go toe to toe with Thanos but apparently a couple of henchmen give her a hard time. I think the teleportation gimmick helps with this a bit though. I went into this expecting this to be a body swap situation so I'm happy they took it in another direction.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Diegonite
Member since Dec 31st 2004
2259 posts
Sun Feb-25-24 04:57 AM

28. "Totally forgot about this movie..."
In response to Reply # 0

Randomly turned on my Disney+ and oop, there it is!

Fell asleep twice, but overall not bad. Won't watch it again, though. Where is the excitement that we had with the first three phases?

Buy my pictures! www.NiftyPrints.com

Twitter: The_Niftian

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85194 posts
Sun Feb-25-24 12:22 PM

29. ""fell asleep twice but overall not bad" is hilarious"
In response to Reply # 28

sounds like it was ass to me

<--- Big Baller World Order

Diegonite
Member since Dec 31st 2004
2259 posts
Mon Feb-26-24 12:13 AM

30. "I ain't even go'n hold you"
In response to Reply # 29

It was def a one and done movie. Someone earlier mentioned that the "bad guy (woman?)" was overtaken hella quick, and they're right: slept through that part and was like what? Looked at the timestamp and I was only snoozing for a second. Didn't even bother to rewind...

Buy my pictures! www.NiftyPrints.com

Twitter: The_Niftian

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747806 Previous topic | Next topic