Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747373

Subject: "The Flash (Andy Muschietti, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Sun Feb-12-23 06:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Flash (Andy Muschietti, 2023)"

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/status/1624906555715117056?t=e98_zQxqSOyRQf853wcW4A&s=19

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
shit looks surprisingly good.
Feb 13th 2023
Looks good. Seems like it is Flashpoint Paradox lite
Feb 13th 2023
looks great.
Feb 15th 2023
There were screenings tonight
May 22nd 2023
It's good.
May 22nd 2023
Uneven but good
Jun 16th 2023
Fun time, definitely too fan servicey
Jun 17th 2023
Fine enough, but another missed opportunity for DC. Bad effects too.
Jun 17th 2023
its coming in under black adam at the box office.
Jun 18th 2023
I mean... look at the overall Marvel trend too.
Jun 18th 2023
      Still seems like a very good business and very successful films
Jun 19th 2023
      Annual rankings don't pay the bills, though.
Jun 19th 2023
      RE: Still seems like a very good business and very successful films
Jun 25th 2023
           It was on Disney+ immediately for an extra fee
Jun 25th 2023
                You’re right. I forgot about the day and date VOD
Jun 26th 2023
                     RE: You’re right. I forgot about the day and date VOD
Jun 26th 2023
      Marvel fucked up Endgame
Jun 21st 2023
           You walked out of Endgame disappointed? Nigga
Jun 21st 2023
It was fun. That's about all I got.
Jun 19th 2023
had high hopes for this but after hearing reviews from friends
Jun 22nd 2023
SPOILERS
Jun 23rd 2023
RE: SPOILERS
Jun 23rd 2023
Batgirl was supposed to be 'Batman Beyond.'
Jun 23rd 2023
      Actually, they're two separate projects
Jun 23rd 2023
lol, I was losing my *mind* at this
Jun 25th 2023
i thought this was really good up until the ending.
Jul 18th 2023
A true “separate the artist from the art” product.
Sep 04th 2023
Why did Barry heal?
Sep 06th 2023

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Feb-13-23 02:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "shit looks surprisingly good."
In response to Reply # 0

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Mon Feb-13-23 02:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Looks good. Seems like it is Flashpoint Paradox lite"
In response to Reply # 0

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Wed Feb-15-23 02:54 PM

3. "looks great."
In response to Reply # 0

Shame that it's attached to that maniac.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Mon May-22-23 09:22 PM

4. "There were screenings tonight"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-22-23 09:22 PM by handle

The line was absolutely massive in Mission Valley San Diego. They sold out with at least 200 people outside wanting to come in.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

bwood
8613 posts
Mon May-22-23 09:27 PM

5. "It's good."
In response to Reply # 0

Not the best comic book movie ever made like some are proclaiming but it's good.

First act is really uneven. But once this thing takes off, it's fucking awesome and emotional.

Keaton steals it as Batman. Sasha Calle is good as Supergirl, it's just too bad she's underutilized.

Can't wait to see the finished product with the end credits scenes they're holding back and cleaned up effects.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 11:33 PM

6. "Uneven but good"
In response to Reply # 0

It does have some of the most bizarre fan service that I’ve ever seen in one of these movies, and I’m not mad about it at all. I don’t want to spoil anything, but if you know the deal, it’s pretty crazy.

I actually liked Ezra Miller even though it’s kind of a Multiplicity situation where the other flash is the idiot one.

It definitely has a video game level of super effects occasionally, but I’ll excuse it because it does feel a lot like one of the DC animated movies in spirit, this one’s just in live action.

And the Danny Elfman music for Batman is still pretty great. I might post more specifics later after spoilers.

------------

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sat Jun-17-23 11:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Fun time, definitely too fan servicey"
In response to Reply # 0

Felt like they were checking off boxes of what they had to do, who they had to show, etc. and for the most part I didn’t mind. They really shoehorned in the “I’m Batman” and “Let’s get nuts” lines though lol. And I really disliked the CGI during the time travel sequences.

Also Keaton’s Batman was never an amazing fighter (just cause the suit was impossible to move in), and he’s shown to be VERY rusty when the Flashes find him… but then he puts on the suit and moves with the agility of a dancer and hits with the power of Bane. There were moments like this where I just had to turn my brain off and count my blessings that we got to see Keaton in the role again.

All that said, Flashpoint is one of my favorite comic book stories, and while the animated adaptation is much better, this one was fun throughout. The comedic moments mostly worked for me. It’s too bad Ezra is a weirdo, cause they are great in this role. Like bwood said, I wish Cara had been used better. I think that would have given the climax a much more emotional impact.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sat Jun-17-23 06:34 PM

8. "Fine enough, but another missed opportunity for DC. Bad effects too."
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah, the jokes are okay, there are a few cool moments, etc... but the pacing drags in spots (and blazes too fast in others), the CGI is frequently terrible, and the cameos at the end are... unsettling for reasons those who've seen it will understand.

I don't want to say it's *worse* than Black Adam, because the lightness of tone means it's more watchable at least... but, man, it's still just more mid mid mid stuff from DC. These movies have no voice, no soul. It's all just set ups to future things and set ups for nostalgia cameos.

Miller is fine, Keaton has a little fun when he's not replaced by an obvious 20-year-old stunt man or CGI body double that doesn't resemble the movement of Keaton whatsoever. Supergirl acquits herself best, but also is given nothing to do. Zod is a nothing.

Like... what's the point, man? Ultimately all of these movies, especially in the DC universe, need a story to tell. The bones of a decent story is clearly here, and the movie's kind of at its best I thought when Barry was teaching Younger Barry how to use his powers. It started to feel more focused on character, more of an actual story... but it just keeps losing sight of it for all the Universe Stuff and all the Big CGI Sequence stuff. A shame!

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Sun Jun-18-23 11:29 AM

9. "its coming in under black adam at the box office."
In response to Reply # 0

something like 73% of the audience is male...compared to the typical 60-ish% for these super hero flicks.

so a lot of women stayed home.

with the way wb/dc handled the black adam fallout (trashing the rock in the media like wb/dc hadnt already been a disorganized clusterfuck) combined with the way they handled the ezra miller drama in the lead-up to the flash...i wonder if they are doing long or even medium term damage to the wb/dc brand.

i mean...shit...look at what theyre doing to cnn.

the identity of the company is looking like a bunch of tone deaf assholes who think their audience are a bunch of idiots who will accept whatever shit theyre shoveling.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sun Jun-18-23 01:10 PM

10. "I mean... look at the overall Marvel trend too. "
In response to Reply # 9

Worldwide box office:

Guardians 2: 863M
Thor 3: 853M
Spider-Man: 880M
Black Panther: 1.34B
Ant-Man 2: 622M
Infinity War: 2.04B
Captain Marvel: 1.12B
Endgame: 2.79B
Spider-Man 2: 1.13B
Black Widow: 379M
Shang-Chi: 432M
Eternals: 402M
Spider-Man 3: 1.91B
Dr. Strange 2: 955M
Black Panther 2: 859M
Thor 4: 760M
Ant-Man 3: 476M
Guardians 3: 821M

Like, save for the odd outlier here and there, that's a clear trend of 2018-2019, everyone was gung ho for these movies... and after COVID, people care less. Even if I wave my hand at that Black Widow/Shang-Chi/Eternals batch... Black Panther sequel down, Thor sequel down, Ant-Man sequel down, the final Guardians movie will finish either even or down.

People just seem worn out by these movies. Not of superhero movies, mind you-- the Spider-Verses are doing very well, the Robert Pattinson Batman did very well-- but just of superhero movies that feel like the same old, same old. People have now seen dozens of these movies in the last decade-- they probably want to know why they need to see *this* one beyond "well, it's the next one!" And Disney and WB have been taking this cinematic universe shit for granted the last few years imo.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Mon Jun-19-23 10:45 AM

11. "Still seems like a very good business and very successful films"
In response to Reply # 10

NOT including Spidermans:

Domestic 2023 so far:
2: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
5: Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Domestic box office for 2022:
3: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
4: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
8: Thor: Love and Thunder

2021:
9: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Close but no cigar:
11: Eternals
13: Black Widow

Seems to me, like having multiple films in the top 10 each year in the past 2 years is pretty good, and Black Widow premiering on HBOA Max probably kept it out of the top 10. (Eternals *was* a stinker.)

Is it realistic to expect a series of comic book films to stay level or grow each year, every year, forever?

Or are they doing as well as could be expected by everyone except money dudes and horserace fans??

Would going back to having 50 rom-coms instead be much different?

------------

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Jun-19-23 12:17 PM

12. "Annual rankings don't pay the bills, though."
In response to Reply # 11
Mon Jun-19-23 12:24 PM by Frank Longo

Of course they make more money-- Disney spends more money on them than on anything else. Like, Ant Man 3 is fifth overall at the box office... but when you factor in marketing budget on top of production budget, it's really not turning profit when it only grosses that much worldwide.

>Is it realistic to expect a series of comic book films to stay level or grow each year, every year, forever?

Of course not. But you can also look at the money coming in on those movies and understand where in the course of this series' lifespan we currently are. I don't think pointing out where the current trend is is unreasonable.

>Or are they doing as well as could be expected by everyone except money dudes and horserace fans??

I don't think people expected in 2019 that, in merely four years, the sequels to these Marvel movies would make less than the ones that had just come out, no. Clearly Disney didn't expect that, as they were massively ramping up production on both Marvel movies and TV shows.

I'm not saying they're going to stop making Marvel movies or that Marvel movies aren't presently still making money for the most part. I'm saying I don't think the audiences showing increased indifference to the DC Cinematic Universe is an exclusively DC trend. MCU movies are also generally on a clear downward trajectory in terms of money-- and thus public interest-- from where they were 4-5 years ago.

And obviously the fact that cinematic releases in general make less money today plays a role here too... but I also just don't think the trend of superhero movies repeatedly coming under the reported tracking number for opening weekend box office is a coincidence. I think in the next year or two, we'll see more and more Marvel and DC cinematic universe movies underperform.

And I'm very curious to see how the marketplace responds-- hopefully they'll pivot to more unique, original visions. Obviously things like the Spider-Verse movies show that people aren't gradually losing interest in *superheroes*-- just in a particular type of product. I think someone like James Gunn doing Superman could be very interesting-- and hopefully Marvel will pivot and make fewer, more interesting, more distinctive movies going forward. (Even though I don't love the Deadpool movies, it's pretty clear that Deadpool 3 will be the biggest hit in the next 18-24 months of Marvel movies, in large part because it's going to stand out from the pack.)

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 01:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "RE: Still seems like a very good business and very successful films"
In response to Reply # 11

>Seems to me, like having multiple films in the top 10 each
>year in the past 2 years is pretty good, and Black Widow
>premiering on HBOA Max probably kept it out of the top 10.
>(Eternals *was* a stinker.)

I think you mixed up Black Widow and Wonder Woman 1984. Widow was never released on HBO Max and pretty sure it didn’t go to Disney Plus until it had a nice theatrical window

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

pretentious username
12493 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 12:16 PM

22. "It was on Disney+ immediately for an extra fee"
In response to Reply # 21

>I think you mixed up Black Widow and Wonder Woman 1984. Widow
>was never released on HBO Max and pretty sure it didn’t go
>to Disney Plus until it had a nice theatrical window
>

Which definitely effected the box office, along with the usual effect that any COVID release suffered. That’s what led to the Scarlet/Disney lawsuit over royalties.

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Mon Jun-26-23 07:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "You’re right. I forgot about the day and date VOD"
In response to Reply # 22

I guess VOD is popular, but wouldn’t you have to pay to subscribe to Disney + then pay an extra $20?

Pretty sure the opening weekend of Widow demolished WW1984 (wasn’t WW1984 free on HBO Max day and date?)

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

pretentious username
12493 posts
Mon Jun-26-23 04:32 PM

25. "RE: You’re right. I forgot about the day and date VOD"
In response to Reply # 24
Mon Jun-26-23 04:33 PM by pretentious username

>I guess VOD is popular, but wouldn’t you have to pay to
>subscribe to Disney + then pay an extra $20?

Yeah, not sure how many they did this with, but I remember Onward and Black Widow had this release model. Soul was released for free for members though iirc.

>
>Pretty sure the opening weekend of Widow demolished WW1984
>(wasn’t WW1984 free on HBO Max day and date?)
>

And yeah, all 2020 WB releases were free if you had a Max account. I think it only became an issue for Tenet cause Nolan didn’t want everyone’s royalties fucked with.

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Wed Jun-21-23 12:27 PM

14. "Marvel fucked up Endgame"
In response to Reply # 10

Killing Widow made her standalone movie uncompelling. I still haven't and may never see it. They should have killed Hawkeye, who already got lucky in Ultron, and having become Ronin, should have jumped the cliff so that his family would only know the heroic things he did. They eliminated a lot of potential storylines killing Widow.

The Russo brothers had no idea how to handle Hulk and they fucked up his role (or lack of) in the final fight. Joss Whedon is a fucking creep but he was masterful in how he handled Hulk. There were some other dumb things, such as the walk of women "protecting" the most powerful of them.

I honestly never walked out of a Marvel movie as let down as I did after Endgame. I've talked to a lot of people who felt similarly let down.

My anger/disappointment aside, the execution of the grand finale, and its premise, left folks underwhelmed and less excited about what's coming.

Spider-Man movies are just better told and put together. And, Chadwick was supposed to lead the MCU for the foreseeable future. His death still looms large.

Streaming and some of the TV shows have diminished the glitter of some of the movies as well. And don't forget the impact of movies not playing in China.

>Worldwide box office:
>
>Guardians 2: 863M
>Thor 3: 853M
>Spider-Man: 880M
>Black Panther: 1.34B
>Ant-Man 2: 622M
>Infinity War: 2.04B
>Captain Marvel: 1.12B
>Endgame: 2.79B
>Spider-Man 2: 1.13B
>Black Widow: 379M
>Shang-Chi: 432M
>Eternals: 402M
>Spider-Man 3: 1.91B
>Dr. Strange 2: 955M
>Black Panther 2: 859M
>Thor 4: 760M
>Ant-Man 3: 476M
>Guardians 3: 821M
>
>Like, save for the odd outlier here and there, that's a clear
>trend of 2018-2019, everyone was gung ho for these movies...
>and after COVID, people care less. Even if I wave my hand at
>that Black Widow/Shang-Chi/Eternals batch... Black Panther
>sequel down, Thor sequel down, Ant-Man sequel down, the final
>Guardians movie will finish either even or down.
>
>People just seem worn out by these movies. Not of superhero
>movies, mind you-- the Spider-Verses are doing very well, the
>Robert Pattinson Batman did very well-- but just of superhero
>movies that feel like the same old, same old. People have now
>seen dozens of these movies in the last decade-- they probably
>want to know why they need to see *this* one beyond "well,
>it's the next one!" And Disney and WB have been taking this
>cinematic universe shit for granted the last few years imo.
>
>

rdhull
Charter member
33129 posts
Wed Jun-21-23 07:08 PM

15. "You walked out of Endgame disappointed? Nigga"
In response to Reply # 14

>Killing Widow made her standalone movie uncompelling. I
>still haven't and may never see it. They should have killed
>Hawkeye, who already got lucky in Ultron, and having become
>Ronin, should have jumped the cliff so that his family would
>only know the heroic things he did. They eliminated a lot of
>potential storylines killing Widow.
>
>The Russo brothers had no idea how to handle Hulk and they
>fucked up his role (or lack of) in the final fight. Joss
>Whedon is a fucking creep but he was masterful in how he
>handled Hulk. There were some other dumb things, such as the
>walk of women "protecting" the most powerful of them.
>
>I honestly never walked out of a Marvel movie as let down as I
>did after Endgame. I've talked to a lot of people who felt
>similarly let down.
>
>My anger/disappointment aside, the execution of the grand
>finale, and its premise, left folks underwhelmed and less
>excited about what's coming.
>
>Spider-Man movies are just better told and put together. And,
>Chadwick was supposed to lead the MCU for the foreseeable
>future. His death still looms large.
>
>Streaming and some of the TV shows have diminished the glitter
>of some of the movies as well. And don't forget the impact of
>movies not playing in China.
>
>>Worldwide box office:
>>
>>Guardians 2: 863M
>>Thor 3: 853M
>>Spider-Man: 880M
>>Black Panther: 1.34B
>>Ant-Man 2: 622M
>>Infinity War: 2.04B
>>Captain Marvel: 1.12B
>>Endgame: 2.79B
>>Spider-Man 2: 1.13B
>>Black Widow: 379M
>>Shang-Chi: 432M
>>Eternals: 402M
>>Spider-Man 3: 1.91B
>>Dr. Strange 2: 955M
>>Black Panther 2: 859M
>>Thor 4: 760M
>>Ant-Man 3: 476M
>>Guardians 3: 821M
>>
>>Like, save for the odd outlier here and there, that's a
>clear
>>trend of 2018-2019, everyone was gung ho for these movies...
>>and after COVID, people care less. Even if I wave my hand at
>>that Black Widow/Shang-Chi/Eternals batch... Black Panther
>>sequel down, Thor sequel down, Ant-Man sequel down, the
>final
>>Guardians movie will finish either even or down.
>>
>>People just seem worn out by these movies. Not of superhero
>>movies, mind you-- the Spider-Verses are doing very well,
>the
>>Robert Pattinson Batman did very well-- but just of
>superhero
>>movies that feel like the same old, same old. People have
>now
>>seen dozens of these movies in the last decade-- they
>probably
>>want to know why they need to see *this* one beyond "well,
>>it's the next one!" And Disney and WB have been taking this
>>cinematic universe shit for granted the last few years imo.
>>
>>
>

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Mon Jun-19-23 12:18 PM

13. "It was fun. That's about all I got. "
In response to Reply # 0

I have critiques, but, like the movie, they ultimately lead nowhere.

Frankly, it doesn't lend itself well to critique. It's just not that kind of movie. Lots of fan service in a light, fun package that could have been more than it was.

The end.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Lach
Charter member
44326 posts
Thu Jun-22-23 01:43 PM

16. "had high hopes for this but after hearing reviews from friends"
In response to Reply # 0

I just decided to wait a few weeks for a digital release.

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 08:43 AM

17. "SPOILERS"
In response to Reply # 0

It's been a week, I'm posting what got me in the theater.

When the realities collide....

Not only do we see George Reeves as Superman - and Christopher Reeves and Helen Slater, but we get Nicholas Cage as Superman from the unproduced Tim Burton Superman of the 1990s, scripted by Kevin Smith.

And he's fighting a giant spider - the one that turned up in mecha form in Wild Wild West.

Unless you went to Comic Con in the 1990s or watched Kevin Smith interviews you'd have *no idea* why he was there.

That's the craziest fan service I could ever imagine.

------------

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 12:38 PM

18. "RE: SPOILERS"
In response to Reply # 17

Feels like they specifically put that in so Kevin Smith would fanboy about it and it worked.

I'm seeing on Saturday, looks like numbers aren't good which kinda sucks since they were ready to greenlight a Keaton Beyond Batman movie if this was a hit and that is the movie I'd like to see

Monkey Genius
Member since Mar 04th 2005
8099 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 12:59 PM

19. "Batgirl was supposed to be 'Batman Beyond.'"
In response to Reply # 18
Fri Jun-23-23 12:59 PM by Monkey Genius

That was gonna be the new status quo before they ditched everything.

----------------------------------
I have a webcomic: www.watchthecomic.com

My webcomic has a page: www.facebook.com/watchyourheadcomic

bwood
8613 posts
Fri Jun-23-23 07:00 PM

20. "Actually, they're two separate projects "
In response to Reply # 19

BATGIRL was almost finished. And production was gonna start on BEYOND before James Gunn took over.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Sun Jun-25-23 01:54 PM

23. "lol, I was losing my *mind* at this"
In response to Reply # 17

>but we get Nicholas Cage as Superman
>from the unproduced Tim Burton Superman of the 1990s, scripted
>by Kevin Smith.
>
>And he's fighting a giant spider - the one that turned up in
>mecha form in Wild Wild West.
>
>Unless you went to Comic Con in the 1990s or watched Kevin
>Smith interviews you'd have *no idea* why he was there.
>
>That's the craziest fan service I could ever imagine.

Think about how much money they spent on the intense CGI in that sequence-- on something that will absolutely bewilder 95% of audience members, lmao.

.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Tue Jul-18-23 04:02 PM

26. "i thought this was really good up until the ending."
In response to Reply # 0

the whole 'what was the point?' of it all was a bit of a letdown.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23877 posts
Mon Sep-04-23 08:17 PM

27. "A true “separate the artist from the art” product."
In response to Reply # 0

He’s a trash human, but he’s really entertaining in this. I’m never a stickler for CG, but this is about the worst I’ve seen. Those babies and that dog looked worse than plastic.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Wed Sep-06-23 10:43 AM

28. "Why did Barry heal?"
In response to Reply # 0

When he got shot in the leg why didn't he heal right away? I thought that was one of Flash's powers. Why is Batman carrying him?

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747373 Previous topic | Next topic