Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747268

Subject: "Poker Face (Peacock, Rian Johnson, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Jan-30-23 08:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poker Face (Peacock, Rian Johnson, 2023)"

Potential spoiler warning for those that didn't watch the Glass Onion yet, but those that did, the brief cameo from Natasha Lyonne hinted at the fact Lyonne and Rian Johnson would work together again.

The show is a pretty interesting concept; to an extent, it's a redone version of Columbo with higher production value, especially given that each episode seemingly wraps all the storylines within themselves and Lyonne's character moves on to a fresh cash on the next episode with a literally new cast of characters.

I don't want to say too much to give away the concepts and storylines for the show, but the first four episodes are up on Peacock at the moment. As gimmicky as the show potentially looks, I am curious how many guest stars this show will feature.

Anyone else give this a gander yet?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I might be cool on Lyonne
Feb 01st 2023
Her voice grates my soul.
Feb 01st 2023
Kinda wish they got a different actress for the lead.
Feb 02nd 2023
Interesting critique.
Feb 03rd 2023
i am absolutely loving this. and im already more excited for S2
Feb 02nd 2023
I would've liked a different lead character.
Feb 06th 2023
oooh, I like where your head is at.
Feb 06th 2023
Milana is hilarious but...
Feb 07th 2023
      She was good in Werewolves Within
Feb 07th 2023
It's kind of nuts to think about what NL use to look and sound like.
Feb 07th 2023
the rest home and race car eps were my favorite so far
Feb 20th 2023
Rest Home was def my favorite
Feb 21st 2023
This week's episode was Masterclass TV
Mar 02nd 2023
The season finale was a bit of a dud.
Mar 13th 2023
I was mixed on it but it made sense
Mar 14th 2023

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Feb-01-23 10:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I might be cool on Lyonne"
In response to Reply # 0

He shit just doesn't really grab me.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Wed Feb-01-23 02:19 PM

2. "Her voice grates my soul. "
In response to Reply # 1

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Thu Feb-02-23 08:55 AM

3. "Kinda wish they got a different actress for the lead."
In response to Reply # 0

Though i dont mind her, she just doesnt have any range. You could play this and i wouldnt be able to tell it was a different character from Russian Doll.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Fri Feb-03-23 08:25 AM

5. "Interesting critique."
In response to Reply # 3

I don't know if it's that she lacks range moreso that each episode is pretty much the same in terms of premise. If you aren't sold on the basic premise for the character, I could see why the show would be hard to stomach.

To an extent, it's somewhat like a high-level cartoon like Inspector Gadget in that each episode revolves around the same premise and everything is seemingly resolved at the episode's end. The over arching big bad from the end of the first episode is the one aspect that makes things interesting somewhat.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85072 posts
Thu Feb-02-23 07:42 PM

4. "i am absolutely loving this. and im already more excited for S2"
In response to Reply # 0

to see who they can book. im assuming it gets a season 2 but this will definitely be a fun sandbox for directors and actors/actresses to pop in for an episode and get their shit off given that the murderers/victims really get most of the screentime in each episode

<--- Big Baller World Order

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Mon Feb-06-23 01:44 AM

6. "I would've liked a different lead character."
In response to Reply # 0

Milana Vayntrub would've worked for me.

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Mon Feb-06-23 01:34 PM

7. "oooh, I like where your head is at."
In response to Reply # 6

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Tue Feb-07-23 12:53 PM

8. "Milana is hilarious but..."
In response to Reply # 6

I've never seen her in a lead role or even a very heavy supporting role.

Could she pull it off?

(I didn't think she was great in Other Space, but that show had other problems.)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Tue Feb-07-23 01:05 PM

9. "She was good in Werewolves Within"
In response to Reply # 8

Where she was definitely the main supporting actor to Sam Richardson's protagonist. But it would be a very different feel from Natasha Lyonne's rumpled Columbo thing. I hate saying this "word" but she would probably skew it more a-dork-able.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49414 posts
Tue Feb-07-23 01:59 PM

10. "It's kind of nuts to think about what NL use to look and sound like. "
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oH1Rdd8Whs

Like for someone (i.e., a woman) to be so beatened up by drugs and hard living and still have a career is kinda amazing.

There is hope for Lindsy Lohan.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85072 posts
Mon Feb-20-23 11:14 AM

11. "the rest home and race car eps were my favorite so far"
In response to Reply # 0

them old rest home cult bitches were on charlies ass harder than anyone so far

<--- Big Baller World Order

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Tue Feb-21-23 09:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Rest Home was def my favorite"
In response to Reply # 11

Those ladies were both funny and menacing. The race car episode was good, but not better than the rest home. However, I did enjoy that we got an ending where Charlie didn't get the culprit arrested and just left them to their own guilt.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Thu Mar-02-23 07:57 PM

13. "This week's episode was Masterclass TV"
In response to Reply # 0

So far superior compared to the majority of the other episodes.

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Mon Mar-13-23 01:51 PM

14. "The season finale was a bit of a dud."
In response to Reply # 0

Slight spoiler warning for folks that haven't watched it yet, but a big chunk of the overarching premise for the main character was effectively closed off to a large extent as there will be a new Big Bad.

I wonder how long the show will be able to get top notch guest stars to play against Lyonne. I'm mildly curious how good the ratings are for this relative to other top notch Peacock shows as I question how many folks even watch Peacock.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Tue Mar-14-23 09:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
15. "I was mixed on it but it made sense"
In response to Reply # 14

>Slight spoiler warning for folks that haven't watched it yet,
>but a big chunk of the overarching premise for the main
>character was effectively closed off to a large extent as
>there will be a new Big Bad.
I think that's the point of this series; it's making fun of shows like Burn Notice, which has season-long arcs with a central villain in between episodic adventures. So closing this case and moving on to the next makes sense. Burn Notice is mentioned or shown multiple times, so they're trying to tell us.

>I wonder how long the show will be able to get top notch guest
>stars to play against Lyonne. I'm mildly curious how good the
>ratings are for this relative to other top-notch Peacock shows
>as I question how many folks even watch Peacock.

They should be able to continue to get top-notch guest stars since they aren't exactly going for talent that's super hot in Hollywood now.

They had some talent active, but most of the people featured were older folks in the TV stage of their careers. The show is a throwback to Columbo and, as I mentioned earlier, Burn Notice-type shows where you have a different guest start every week. That and Rian Johnson's name being attached will probably keep attracting good talent.

I'm not sure how many people are watching, but I've seen a few articles saying, "You should be watching Poker Face." so my guess is as good as yours on viewership but I think it's doing good.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747268 Previous topic | Next topic