Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747137

Subject: "You People (Kenya Barris, 2023) Eddie Murphy, Nia Long - OKP" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13953 posts
Tue Jan-10-23 06:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"You People (Kenya Barris, 2023) Eddie Murphy, Nia Long - OKP"
Tue Jan-10-23 06:22 PM by c71

trailer

https://youtu.be/pCMHc-IFAB0

https://www.okayplayer.com/culture/you-people-netflix-kenya-barris.html

Watch Eddie Murphy Put Future Son-in-Law Jonah Hill to the Test in ‘You People’ Trailer

JAELANI TURNER-WILLIAMS

Jaelani Turner-Williams is a contributing news writer for Okayplayer

Starring Eddie Murphy, Jonah Hill, Lauren London, Nia Long and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, You People premieres on Netflix January 27.

We’re just weeks away from the highly-anticipated Netflix release of the new Kenya Barris comedy You People. On Thursday (January 5), the streaming platform released a three-minute official trailer for the upcoming film, which follows Ezra Cohen (Jonah Hill) mistaking Amira Mohammed (Lauren London) for a rideshare driver and ultimately starting a relationship with her.

Along the way, Cohen decides that he’s ready to propose to Mohammed, although neither partner has met each other’s families. The two are both tested by their respective families, with Ezra’s “progressive and semi-woke parents” (Julia Louis-Dreyfus and David Duchovny) showing microaggressions toward Amira, while Amira’s “unyielding yet concerned parents” (Eddie Murphy and Nia Long) have contempt toward Ezra.

“Oh, so you’re all Muslim,” Ezra’s mother says at a particularly heated part of the trailer.

“Very much so,” Amira’s father, Akbar Mohammed (Murphy), responds.

“This kufi that I’m wearing was actually a gift from the Honorable Louis Farrakhan,” Mohammed continues. “Are you familiar with the minister’s work?”

“Well, I’m familiar with what he said about the Jews,” Ezra’s mother says in return.

London, who last starred in the limited Netflix series True Story, spoke with Netflix’s TUDUM about the ensemble cast, saying: “These collaborators are masters at their craft. You have Eddie Murphy and Julia and Nia Long and David Duchovny and Jonah Hill — and Kenya as the captain of the ship. Everyone brought in their specialness and their art.”

Watch the full trailer below.

https://youtu.be/pCMHc-IFAB0

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Loved it. Definitely predictable, but the execution was FLAWLESS.
Jan 27th 2023
it was cool
Jan 31st 2023
Good amount of laughs, but *really* loses steam.
Jan 31st 2023
solid
Feb 04th 2023
like i said, zero chemistry
Feb 06th 2023
And apparently the kiss at the end was CGI
Feb 09th 2023
To predictable.
Feb 26th 2023
Thought it was fine. Eddie and Jonah are always watchable
Feb 27th 2023

soulfunk
Charter member
10994 posts
Fri Jan-27-23 10:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Loved it. Definitely predictable, but the execution was FLAWLESS. "
In response to Reply # 0

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Tue Jan-31-23 01:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "it was cool"
In response to Reply # 0

there was NO chemistry between the central romantic figures. all the acting was strong, some points could have been made with more nuance and subtlety, but pretty entertaining.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86665 posts
Tue Jan-31-23 03:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Good amount of laughs, but *really* loses steam."
In response to Reply # 0

At its best when it's letting its stars-- especially Jonah and JLD-- do what they do best. One of my bigger gripes is the movie makes Murphy more or less the straight man, so he has to button down his natural charisma. A few times he gets to banter with Hill a bit, and you really start to see Eddie the Star come out, and those are his best moments.

But once we start getting closer to the wedding, it becomes increasingly far-fetched, the editing gets real choppy (scenes just kind of end out of the blue), and the ending obviously is completely unbelievable. And a 2 hour run time for a comedy like this just... isn't the move imo.

Good amount of laughs though, especially in that first half. Just a shame about the rest of it.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Sat Feb-04-23 10:20 AM

4. "solid"
In response to Reply # 0

It had its moments, I did laugh a few times but overall it was kinda eh to me.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Mon Feb-06-23 11:03 AM

5. "like i said, zero chemistry"
In response to Reply # 0

I've seen plenty of "mismatched" couples in real life, it's just the fact that they ever even made you feel like they dug each other like that.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/02/06/lauren-londons-kiss-with-jonah-
hill-in-you-people-explained/

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5626 posts
Thu Feb-09-23 07:57 AM

6. "And apparently the kiss at the end was CGI"
In response to Reply # 5

Which has to be one of the most bizarre things ive ever seen CGI used for. Like, why???

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/you-people-jonah-hill-lauren-london-kiss-cgi-1235320295/

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

3CardMolly
Member since Jun 08th 2007
13743 posts
Sun Feb-26-23 08:09 AM

7. "To predictable."
In response to Reply # 0

And in no way believable.

Had some solid actors though.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43735 posts
Mon Feb-27-23 05:53 PM

8. "Thought it was fine. Eddie and Jonah are always watchable"
In response to Reply # 0

If nothing else.

But yeah overall...meh.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747137 Previous topic | Next topic