Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747129

Subject: "Night Court (NBC, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Mon Jan-09-23 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Night Court (NBC, 2023)"
Mon Jan-09-23 02:49 PM by handle

Night Court is back, with John Larroquette as Dan Fielding, and
Melissa Rauch as Harry Stones daughter, who is now a night court judge.

First episode airs January 17,2023.

Not sure how it'll be but the original show was one of my favorite TV shows of the 1980s.

And LOTS of opportunities for cameos and callbacks:
John Aston (Buddy)
Brent Spiner (Bob Wheeler)
Richard Moll (Bull)
Marsha Warfiled (Roz)
Ellen Foley (billie)
William Utay (Phil)
Denice Kumagai (Quan Li)
Mike Finneran (Art)
Yakov Smirnoff (Yakov)
Dennis Haysbert (James, but only 1 episode)
Daniel Frishman (Dan's old boss, and a little person)

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Night Court (NBC, 2023)
Jan 10th 2023
sad to learn Markie Post passed away in 2021.
Jan 10th 2023
Yeah, they were great together
Jan 10th 2023
I can't remember what night it came on.
Jan 11th 2023
Peacock is wild.
Jan 12th 2023
The sets seem to match the original sets
Jan 12th 2023
I loved the original. I can't wait to give this a watch.
Jan 12th 2023
The twist is: Dan is the public defender now
Jan 12th 2023
2 episodes aired, watched 1
Jan 18th 2023
In a New ‘Night Court,’ John Larroquette Plays Defense (NYT swipe)
Jan 18th 2023
When did this air?
Jan 23rd 2023
Tuesdays
Jan 23rd 2023
Here for the Dan Fielding show.
Jan 23rd 2023
Caught the 1st ep.
Jan 25th 2023
3rd episode >> first 2
Jan 25th 2023

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Tue Jan-10-23 10:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Night Court (NBC, 2023)"
In response to Reply # 0

I was a huge fan of the original too so I hope this is good. I don't need it to revolutionize TV or anything. Just give me some goofball laughs for 30 mins.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Tue Jan-10-23 11:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "sad to learn Markie Post passed away in 2021. "
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-10-23 11:51 AM by Cold Truth

I was about to type "Fugazi without Markie Post", because she and Dan (Laroquette) had great chemistry, and then looked her up.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8748 posts
Tue Jan-10-23 11:39 PM

3. "Yeah, they were great together"
In response to Reply # 2

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23880 posts
Wed Jan-11-23 08:20 PM

4. "I can't remember what night it came on."
In response to Reply # 0

But I remember it being one of the shows I was allowed to watch before bedtime. Larroquette's son tells good stories about growing up on the set on his podcast.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Thu Jan-12-23 11:05 AM

5. "Peacock is wild. "
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-12-23 11:06 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

They have such strange, weird shows which I would not have expected from the NBC streamer.

I will say though, a lot of their shows look like they are made on shoestring one location budgets, this show in particular.

Meanwhile everything made for Apple TV looks gorgeous.

Back to Night Court. I use to love this show as a kid. Dan Fielding was the raunchiest thing I had seen on network tv and he use to mess with my southern baptist country mind.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Thu Jan-12-23 02:10 PM

6. "The sets seem to match the original sets"
In response to Reply # 5

The original Night Court was shot in 5 main sets: Cafeteria, Court Room, HallWay, Jail Cell, Judge's Office.

All of those looked incredibly dingy and cheap in the original.

Seems from the previews they just recreated the sets and then made them looked like they have not been cleaned much since 1992.

I hope the PACE and TONE matches the original show - that's what made it so good - the timing of the comedy and the emotional content - which was usually 'crass.'

------------

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Thu Jan-12-23 04:23 PM

7. "I loved the original. I can't wait to give this a watch."
In response to Reply # 0

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Thu Jan-12-23 05:37 PM

8. "The twist is: Dan is the public defender now"
In response to Reply # 0

He's playing the Markee Post role.

------------

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Wed Jan-18-23 12:08 PM

9. "2 episodes aired, watched 1"
In response to Reply # 0

The pilot was pretty bad. Very shallow.

The judge character doesn't show any sort of edge that Harry did in the original. She seems too nice, where as Harry had a conman mixed with an idealist.

Dan seems sleepy in many of the scenes, but then snaps into life and is close to his original form.

The bailiff seems dim , let's see how they manage that arc.

Clerk and DA are very shallow at this point too.

It usually takes 6 episodes for a sitcom to stabilize a little.

------------

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22289 posts
Wed Jan-18-23 01:17 PM

10. "In a New ‘Night Court,’ John Larroquette Plays Defense (NYT swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/16/arts/television/night-court-john-larroquette.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage§ion=Television

The actor thought he was done with Dan Fielding. But more than 30 years later, Larroquette is back to see if he can make his most famous character funny again.

In 1985, John Larroquette won the Emmy for best supporting actor for his work in “Night Court.” Larroquette, a New Orleans native with a double bass voice and a 6-foot-4 frame, played Dan Fielding, the smarmy prosecutor assigned to the graveyard shift at a Manhattan municipal court. (Here is Entertainment Weekly’s appreciation: “Rarely has horny smugness been so convincingly portrayed.”)

Larroquette won again in 1986. And in 1987 and 1988. Then he declined to be considered for further awards.

“I didn’t want to outstay my welcome,” he said on a recent video call, from the study of his home in Portland, Ore., a black-and-white diptych of the playwright Samuel Beckett behind him. (Larroquette collects rare books, particularly Beckett first editions.) He had taken the character, he felt, to the limits of what the network would allow. The Academy of Television Arts and Sciences should give someone else a chance.

“It was a high-class problem, my God,” he said.

“Night Court,” an affable workplace comedy with a rich vein of absurdism, ran from 1984 to 1992 as part of NBC’s vaunted Thursday night bloc. Enjoying the stability and the camaraderie, Larroquette put in the hours until the end. But when the network offered him a spin off, he declined. His nine seasons as Dan had defined his professional life; he wanted to try other people on for size.

“I thought, I’ve done this for a long time,” he said. “If I let him die his natural death, maybe I can do another character elsewhere.”

But Dan Fielding didn’t die. On Tuesday on NBC, he approaches the “Night Court” bench once more. In the show’s reboot, a multicamera passion project for Melissa Rauch (“The Big Bang Theory”), Larroquette reprises his role — bearded, grayer, less able to leap a courtroom’s railing in a single bound.

Mellisa Rauch as a judge listening to Larroquette, in a blue suit, in a courtroom scene from “Night Court.”
In the new “Night Court,” Melissa Rauch plays the daughter of Harry Stone, Harry Anderson’s character in the original. Larroquette’s Dan Fielding is now a defense attorney.Credit...Jordin Althaus/NBC

Three lawyers arguing in a scene from the original “Night Court.”
Larroquette (with Catherine MacNeal, left, and Markie Post) won four Emmys during the original run.Credit...Gary Null/NBC, via Getty Images

“I wanted to see if I could make him funny again, truly,” Larroquette said. Then, smiling his signature smile that reduces his eyes to slits — half grimace, half goof — he landed the punchline. “Also, let’s be honest, it was a lot of money.”

Larroquette, 75, doesn’t see his career, before “Night Court” or after, as having a deliberate arc. He understands it instead as a flashy pinball game that has bounced him from bumper to bumper and sometimes into the gutter, artistically anyway. (Pressed, he’ll mention a “Fawlty Towers” remake.)

After “Night Court,” he next starred in “The John Larroquette Show,” a comedy about a recovering alcoholic that skewed too dark for network tastes. (Larroquette is about 40 years sober. When I warned him that I had food poisoning and might have to exit the call at some point, he said: “I’ve held the heads of several drunks in my lifetime. I’m used to it.”) That comedy, created by Don Reo, captured a little of his native melancholy, a morsel of his seriousness.

“I had no idea I’d be working with an actor who was as into Samuel Beckett as he was,” Reo said.

“Staring into the abyss and the abyss is staring back — that spoke to both of us,” he added. “He’s just in touch with the curse and the blessing of being alive.”

Stints on the David E. Kelley shows “Boston Legal” and “The Practice” followed. “The Practice” earned him a fifth Emmy. Once a lawyer, almost always a lawyer: “You don’t think of me as a guy that runs a motorcycle shop,” Larroquette said with his usual rumble.

Kelley, speaking by telephone, said: “You’re looking for an actor who can be funny without compromising those dramatic stakes. John keeps things real.”

Afterward, fulfilling a lifelong dream, Larroquette went to Broadway, where he earned a Tony, in 2011, as a featured actor in “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” He has rarely felt entirely satisfied as an artist; this came close.

A group of men in suits singing a number during the Broadway production of “How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.”
Larroquette won a Tony for his performance in “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.”Credit...Sara Krulwich/The New York Times

“I wish I had been more substantial in that regard,” he said. “Basically, I’ve never considered acting much of an art.”

In recent years, Larroquette had begun to contemplate retirement. He has a pension from the Screen Actors Guild and some savings. And social security. “Because I’m an old guy,” he said. None of his three children, he joked, need bail money. He had spoken to his wife, the former actress Elizabeth Larroquette, and consulted financial advisers. They told him that as long as he didn’t buy too many more rare books or live past 105, he’d be all right.

Then Rauch called. She loved “Night Court” as a kid and hoped to oversee its reprise. She wanted Larroquette as a part of it. Larroquette turned her down, more or less flat. He wasn’t the physical comedian he had been, and he didn’t feel that Dan’s libidinous ways matched current sensibilities.

“He said no,” Rauch recalled in a recent conversation. “But there was also a bit of a door open.”

Because Larroquette had questions. He didn’t want to see the reputation of the original “Night Court” sullied. So he and Rauch kept talking: about what this new show should be, about what needed to change and what should stay the same. Gradually, they developed a friendship. And when Rauch announced that she planned to star in the series, playing a judge, the daughter of Harry Anderson’s Harry Stone, he agreed to join.

“There was a part of me that was intrigued by the idea of reinhabiting the character that I’d played 35 years ago and what’s funny about him now,” he said.

In this reimagining, Dan is still a narcissist and a buffoon. Yet, he no longer leads with his genitals. He has loved and lost, and the ladies who saunter in and out of court no longer hold the same allure.

“There’s no degrading glances,” Larroquette said. “Nobody wants to see an old man do anything. I don’t find it appealing. So I don’t know where the humor would come from.”

One further change: Dan is a defense attorney now, a source of occasional confusion. “This man is a depraved menace and has no place in a decent society,” Dan says of his first client, a man accused of lewd acts. Then he course corrects: “My client, dare I say, my friend, is an outstanding pillar of his community.” The client then flashes the bench.

On the original show, Larroquette had a talent for going big without ever seeming to show the strain. Marsha Warfield, who joined “Night Court” as the bailiff Roz in its fourth season, remembered his effortlessness, no matter how absurd the jokes. “He was fully committed to the insanity and all of the gags and things,” she said. “He made it look easy.” (How absurd was the original? “We had an episode where a ventriloquist’s dummy committed suicide,” Larroquette said. “Not the ventriloquist, but the doll.”)

While making this new version, Rauch noticed a similar facility. “It’s almost like watching a jazz musician riffing,” Rauch said, describing a scene in which Larroquette had to deliver his lines while shooting backward in a swivel chair. “He’s never not funny.”

But this reboot had gravitas, for Larroquette at least. Almost every major member of the core cast has died — Anderson in 2018, Markie Post and Charlie Robinson in 2021. While filming on a set that mixed pieces from the original production with recreations, he said, he sometimes would look over and see his old castmates as they had been.

“So it was sad,” Larroquette said. “It was. It hurt.”

Larroquette won’t do another nine seasons on this new “Night Court.” But revisiting the show seems to have helped him to accept the progress of his career and to acknowledge the original as a high point. Though a serious man, he has accepted that he is best loved and best remembered for portraying a pervy fathead. He joked that he looked forward to “Entertainment Tonight” setting his obituary to a slowed down version of the “Night Court” theme.

He is, he said, a clown, which he meant both in the Beckettian sense, a witness to the absurdities of life, and in the red nose one. The idea of going out the way he came in, making jokes about men arrested for lewd conduct, had started to feel pretty good.

“I was born a clown,” he said. “It was easier to make people laugh, and usually they wouldn’t beat you up if they were laughing. I’ve tried to live by that, just trying to make people laugh. You can’t think of your troubles if you’re laughing.”

spades
44257 posts
Mon Jan-23-23 10:19 AM

11. "When did this air?"
In response to Reply # 0

Last weekend I checked NBC and Peacock and couldn't find it.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Mon Jan-23-23 10:20 AM

12. "Tuesdays"
In response to Reply # 11

Two episodes aired on NBC and my Tivo with an antenna of the roof got them.

https://www.peacocktv.com/stream-tv/night-court

------------

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44838 posts
Mon Jan-23-23 03:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Here for the Dan Fielding show. "
In response to Reply # 0

This was fine. Not great, but fine.

I just want to see Dan in all his glory. I like the idea of him on defense in this. He's the star and needs to be treated as such.

The rest is take it or leave it for me, I don't really care.

spades
44257 posts
Wed Jan-25-23 10:28 AM

14. "Caught the 1st ep."
In response to Reply # 0

Just as cute and light as I remember.

Def going in the rotation.

Get Out The Room!
@fakewilliamkatt

handle
Charter member
18948 posts
Wed Jan-25-23 11:10 AM

15. "3rd episode >> first 2"
In response to Reply # 0

Getting better.

------------

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747129 Previous topic | Next topic