Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747001

Subject: "Barbie (Greta Gerwig, 2023)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8677 posts
Tue Dec-20-22 08:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Barbie (Greta Gerwig, 2023)"

One of my most anticipated films of next year

https://youtu.be/8zIf0XvoL9Y

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
New trailer. Let me know how it is.
Apr 04th 2023
Looks like it might play pretty close to Lego Movie general plot
Apr 04th 2023
Anyone here interested in this movie?
Jul 17th 2023
I'd think there's a HUGE built-in audience for this.
Jul 17th 2023
And yeah - the studio made a good call putting this on the big screen
Jul 24th 2023
      Over a billion now…
Aug 07th 2023
No. Unless reviews are GREAT
Jul 17th 2023
Reviews are great
Aug 07th 2023
Yeah, I thought the trailer was funny
Jul 17th 2023
This is hilarious and subversive.
Jul 17th 2023
Glad to hear a good review for this
Jul 17th 2023
yeah im actually gonna do the barbenheimer.
Jul 17th 2023
far exceeded my expectations too
Aug 08th 2023
Which joke about a movie?
Jan 08th 2024
RE: Barbie (Greta Gerwig, 2023)
Jul 20th 2023
It's definitely wild that this 100+ million opening weekend movie...
Jul 21st 2023
An impossible balancing act, can't stick the landing, but mostly good.
Jul 21st 2023
RE: An impossible balancing act, can't stick the landing, but mostly goo...
Jul 21st 2023
probably my fave scene in the movie
Jul 27th 2023
*jerkoff motion*
Jan 02nd 2024
I dug it.
Jul 21st 2023
This was pretty good and fun
Jul 23rd 2023
wow perfect synopsis here. very well said
Aug 18th 2023
that was fucking great
Oct 20th 2023
I enjoyed it
Jan 08th 2024
I'm sorry but this was a really bad movie.
Mar 18th 2024
i was surprised how bad it was too
Mar 18th 2024

bwood
8677 posts
Tue Apr-04-23 11:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "New trailer. Let me know how it is."
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/GRyt3Ov4zz0

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6746 posts
Tue Apr-04-23 02:19 PM

2. "Looks like it might play pretty close to Lego Movie general plot"
In response to Reply # 1

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Numba_33
Charter member
19433 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 10:48 AM

3. "Anyone here interested in this movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

I only ask because I see there's a supposed Barbie-Heimer scheme of gimmick I see with folks supposedly planning to see both flicks on the same day.

The only vague interest I have in this movie is who is the supposed target audience for this movie.

Not enough interest to see this movie of course, but I am curious how a major studio thought it was wise to plunker down dollars to bring this to the big screen.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

soulfunk
Charter member
11053 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 11:14 AM

4. "I'd think there's a HUGE built-in audience for this. "
In response to Reply # 3

I'm not seeing it myself, and I'm definitely not the target demo. But Barbie has a LONG history of popularity. I mean even if we just look at the 80's run from when I grew up, Barbie during that time was more popular with girls than Transformers was with boys. And the Transformers franchise has made billions at the box office. Then consider the fact that Barbe was huge as a brand over several generations, and you have an audience for it that goes across multiple demographics.

Only surprise to me is that it took this long to make a live action film...as much as the film industry mines nostalgia from our childhoods this seems lime a no brainer to me.

>but I am
>curious how a major studio thought it was wise to plunker down
>dollars to bring this to the big screen.

soulfunk
Charter member
11053 posts
Mon Jul-24-23 07:12 AM

16. "And yeah - the studio made a good call putting this on the big screen"
In response to Reply # 4

155 million on it's opening weekend? Second highest domestic opening weekend of all time behind Endgame??? Yeah - good investment.

>>but I am
>>curious how a major studio thought it was wise to plunker
>down
>>dollars to bring this to the big screen.
>

soulfunk
Charter member
11053 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 11:36 AM

18. "Over a billion now…"
In response to Reply # 16

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 12:10 PM

5. "No. Unless reviews are GREAT"
In response to Reply # 3

The pitch for the movie seems to be:
Barbie worries about mortality and the meaning of life?

Could be good, or could be really flat. The trailer seems really flat from not only a visual style but from acting.

So reviews would be what could get me interested.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

handle
Charter member
19022 posts
Mon Aug-07-23 12:36 PM

19. "Reviews are great"
In response to Reply # 5

I might see this this weekend.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12519 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 03:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Yeah, I thought the trailer was funny"
In response to Reply # 3

They’re leaning in to the fact that some people love Barbie and some people hate Barbie. I think it’ll do well.

My days of going to see 2 movies in a day are over, but I do have plans to see both this weekend lol.

bwood
8677 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 04:03 PM

7. "This is hilarious and subversive."
In response to Reply # 0

Exceeded my expectations. There's one joke in here about a certain movie that's going to piss people off. And good cause fuck those people.

Anyways, the world building here is incredible, it's super fucking weird, and the emotions are super strong throughout this.

Trigger warning cause I know some y'all are gonna hate it for this, but it really is a feminist movie.

This is a winner. Greta is on fire.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5184 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 04:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Glad to hear a good review for this "
In response to Reply # 7

I know many people were going to take it for what it shows with the Barbie world and the silliness of it, but I figured there was a deeper story, I'm glad to hear it's a good one.

I'll have to do back-to-back Oppenheimer and this.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

.Monkeynuts.
Member since Mar 24th 2007
528 posts
Mon Jul-17-23 07:26 PM

9. "yeah im actually gonna do the barbenheimer."
In response to Reply # 8

and i havent really been that interested in barbie like that.

if that was an intentional marketing tactic it worked on me.

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35908 posts
Tue Aug-08-23 11:44 AM

20. "far exceeded my expectations too"
In response to Reply # 7

i love how the film directly addressed the criticism of Barbie having unrealistic body standards and how modern girls don't love the doll in the same way previous generations did

-the opening scene...those little girls did the thing LOL

- Ryan Gosling knocked it out the park...

- Will Ferrell was brilliant, as usual

- now that I think about it, the movie reminded me of The Good Place...i was halfway expecting Michael and /or Bad Janet to pop up when shit went left in BarbieWorld

- it definitely follows the Toy Story model of acknowledging the cosmic connection between the toy and the person who plays with it...i love that.

d

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16459 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 02:50 PM

24. "Which joke about a movie?"
In response to Reply # 7

>Exceeded my expectations. There's one joke in here about a
>certain movie that's going to piss people off. And good cause
>fuck those people.
>

I feel dumb reading about movies I watched when I find out how much I missed lol

Robert
Charter member
4144 posts
Thu Jul-20-23 03:22 PM

10. "RE: Barbie (Greta Gerwig, 2023)"
In response to Reply # 0

was at a dinner gathering last night and one of the wives (not the..how can i put it, pretty sure she's never seen a greta gerwig/noah baumbach movie) was talking about taking their daughter (age 10) and other friends all going together to watch Barbie this weekend... and i feel like there's gonna be so many cases of people going into this and then walking out (early??) thinking "what the fuck was that?"

like "classic" adam sandler fans, having no idea, buying tix to see Punch Drunk Love..

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86812 posts
Fri Jul-21-23 12:18 AM

11. "It's definitely wild that this 100+ million opening weekend movie..."
In response to Reply # 10

... is essentially "THE LEGO MOVIE but not for kids and riddled with anxiety." Obviously going to be a massive hit-- and I imagine it'll have staying power-- but it's way less of a "feel good" movie than the trailer has led everyone to think, I think.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86812 posts
Fri Jul-21-23 12:26 AM

12. "An impossible balancing act, can't stick the landing, but mostly good."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Jul-21-23 01:18 AM by Frank Longo

I'll just copy/paste AA Dowd here, even though I was overall more entertained than he was.

"Spirited, inherently hopeless effort to reconcile all the competing imperatives of making a live-action Barbie movie in the year 2023. It's knowing prefab camp that both revels in and loudly interrogates the retro appeal of Barbie. It's representationally inclusive while gently acknowledging that Mattel's forays into diversifying Barbie were, of course, financially motivated. It bites the hand that feeds (plays?) by pointing out the gender disparity within a company with a predominately female consumer base, while also covering for that company by making it look hip and self-aware enough to cop to its disparities. It nods to everything bad that's ever been said or written about Barbie as an iconic product even as it essentially gives everyone permission to forget all that and have fun... The whole thing is animated by neurosis more than joy, which is what I found most interesting about it: Is there a little of Gerwig's offscreen wrestling with the assignment in Barbie's onscreen existential crisis?"

Great production and costume design, great leads, some very funny scenes and bits, but ultimately it's hard to balance all the broad comedy and important social commentary and corporate defense and existential crisis drama that Gerwig is trying to do all at once here. The balancing act is an admirable endeavor but a fairly impossible one. Results were a mixed bag for me-- but obviously I'm going to be alone on this as everyone on social media seems to love it.

And obviously it's the best marketing campaign in ages. Gonna make a shitload of money. Everyone in marketing has earned their pay and then some. (Assuming Zaslav gives them bonuses, which he won't.)

Fun side note: I saw it at Century City Mall, and Century City receives several shoutouts in the movie, absolutely delighting both me and my audience.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Fri Jul-21-23 06:45 PM

13. "RE: An impossible balancing act, can't stick the landing, but mostly goo..."
In response to Reply # 12

I think it did stick the landing…just an act early. America’s monologue at the weird house was perfect. I don’t know how she could have shifted it better towards the end and done less circling, but I think it’ll be interesting to see what kind of legs it has.

Robert
Charter member
4144 posts
Thu Jul-27-23 09:58 AM

17. "probably my fave scene in the movie"
In response to Reply # 13

>America’s monologue at the weird house was perfect

id imagine most people's fave scene if they have one.. i was waiting for the half the women in the auditorium to stand and erupt in applause--but i think most of the room was halfway tuned out by the "weirdness" by then..

i cant remember another movie where i was laughing as the credits rolled..(great joke to end on)

will_5198
Charter member
63209 posts
Tue Jan-02-24 05:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "*jerkoff motion*"
In response to Reply # 12

"It bites the hand that feeds (plays?) by pointing out the gender disparity within a company with a predominately female consumer base, while also covering for that company by making it look hip and self-aware enough to cop to its disparities."

Will Ferrell in a pink tie made Mattel look cool and self-aware? Mattel instantly profiting off Ken's male version of their toy world? Farrell telling America Ferrera that her ordinary Barbie idea was idiotic, until another company man told him he'd make money off it?

complaining this movie overlooks real issues on the preface of having fun, then complains the movie is "more neurosis than joy"?

I read the full review and he gives Baumbach full credit for writing Ferrera's speech instead of Gerwig? talk about patriarchy!

amazingly shitty commentary from a professional.

--------

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43884 posts
Fri Jul-21-23 10:58 PM

14. "I dug it. "
In response to Reply # 0

Honestly - it’s funny, subversive, and fun mostly. A musical number too much for me, personally. It’s way too heady for people under…I dunno, 13? to get most of the jokes and commentary but it’s very well done.

America Ferrara steals the show.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Walleye
Charter member
15543 posts
Sun Jul-23-23 09:14 AM

15. "This was pretty good and fun"
In response to Reply # 0

If you had told me that the twist is that Barbie experiences a deeply destabilizing awareness that she is subject to history and then uses that psychic turmoil to pry open an understanding of the nature of being then I probably wouldn't have believed you. But there it is. Not even subtext but big, shining text.

Gosling and Robbie were perfect just having fun out there. America Ferrera was devastatingly sneaky at making me care about the mother/daughter angle. Lots of weird, fun performances by the supporting cast. Michael Cera just leaned into his purposelessness. I know Issa Rae was the president of Barbieland or whatever, but standing out as any of the other Barbies seemed pretty tough so nice job to her. Simu Liu made his chaotic role as quasi-antagonist Ken look sensible and well-planned even though I'm sure it wasn't.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35908 posts
Fri Aug-18-23 11:55 AM

21. "wow perfect synopsis here. very well said"
In response to Reply # 15

"i do more for both our communities than you'll ever know." - Heinz
"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85194 posts
Fri Oct-20-23 09:13 PM

22. "that was fucking great"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16459 posts
Mon Jan-08-24 02:55 PM

25. "I enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 0

I hadn't really looked into it before it came out so I didn't know what to expect. It really was way different than anything I could imagine it would be.

Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20763 posts
Mon Mar-18-24 03:10 PM

26. "I'm sorry but this was a really bad movie."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-18-24 03:13 PM by Heinz

I understand the sentiment of wanting to support positive messages for young women, but to assert that this movie is well-made suggests either poor taste or an inability to differentiate between personal feelings and objective opinion. Frankly, it's not good. I wish the comedy had been pushed further to salvage the dialogue and story. I had hoped to enjoy this movie, especially since we watched it with our two girls, but we were all just shocked by its poor quality. While our girls enjoyed it, their standards may be low, given they watch Peppa Pig for hours, LOL.

On the bright side, Billie Eilish's song is a perfectly written song (video is trash) and deserves all the accolades. Def the highlight of the movie. I'm puzzled as to why the Ken song was performed at the Oscars—it's simply not a good song. Sooo bad. Rather Gosling sang that Jodeci song like he did for Disney lol

weaponry
Member since Jan 26th 2006
483 posts
Mon Mar-18-24 04:27 PM

27. "i was surprised how bad it was too"
In response to Reply # 26

like you said. positive messages...great.
but the movie as a MOVIE...way too heavy handed throughout.
cool concept and message but i really did not like how they went about it.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #747001 Previous topic | Next topic