Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #746833

Subject: "What's the most reckless thing you have seen in a movie?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Sat Dec-10-22 10:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What's the most reckless thing you have seen in a movie?"

And by reckless I mean something in a movie that could inspire real life harmful consequences.

Remember when the MTA worker was set on fire like the scene from the movie Money Train?

https://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/27/nyregion/attackers-set-fire-to-token-clerk-in-brooklyn-subway-station.html

I don't know if I would have called it in advance but in retrospect it seems pretty reckless.

I definitely think it could be forseen that kids would try that stunt of lying in the road like they did in the movie the Program.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1993-10-20-1993293138-story.html

Anything else comes to mind?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: What's the most reckless thing you have seen in a movie?
Dec 10th 2022
That's only seen as reckless because someone did it, though.
Dec 10th 2022
Yeah but some things you know would likely inspire people to copycat
Dec 12th 2022
      I think “glorifying” is very difficult to define here
Dec 13th 2022
           Hate to switch genres buts it the difference between Straight Outta Comp...
Dec 16th 2022
Is this for a job interview question at Fox News???
Dec 11th 2022
Sorry
Dec 11th 2022
The Adrenaline needle in Pulp Fiction.
Dec 11th 2022
all of The Joker
Dec 11th 2022
responsible for alot of annoying pictures and videos on that staircase
Dec 11th 2022
Yeah why were people calling this movie reckless?
Dec 12th 2022
Do you see how it could happen now?
Dec 12th 2022
I thought the pre-release discourse was the more reckless part
Dec 13th 2022
Partyman-Batman
Dec 11th 2022
Curb stomping in American History X.
Dec 12th 2022
Nothing. Because they're movies.
Dec 12th 2022
You have a point but you are kinda arguing both ways no?
Dec 12th 2022
      Perhaps. I'll have to chew on it more. It's a tricky issue.
Dec 12th 2022
           Yeah I think the answer is it's highly nuanced and no brightline rules.
Dec 12th 2022
Anything that makes someone leave the theater saying,
Dec 12th 2022
banana eating in Belly
Dec 13th 2022
lmao...
Dec 20th 2022
Laying on the street in The Program comes to mind.
Dec 13th 2022
Lately, I've been bugged by noble self-sacrifice scenes
Dec 13th 2022
not violent, but harsh - Luke Wilson cab scene in Old School
Dec 14th 2022
Man early 2000 movies are just weird like that.
Dec 15th 2022
      "Paging Dr. F****t" © The Hangover
Dec 15th 2022
Having literal kids smoking a blunt in the movie Kids.
Dec 15th 2022
Yeah, in retrospect critics should have fiercely objected to that movie
Jan 10th 2023
I'd probably go with Natural Born Killers
Dec 16th 2022
The Best Man: The Final Chapters miniseries had something pretty reckles...
Jan 03rd 2023
I see where you going with this BUT
Jan 22nd 2023
Found myself watching Money Train today - remember The Torch? Edit: forg...
Jan 10th 2023

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Dec-10-22 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: What's the most reckless thing you have seen in a movie?"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm sure it happens all the time, but nothing comes to mind. if there are other examples, i think scenes like that should be restored to catalog films.

i was just thinking about all the hysteria surrounding joker. there was this satanic panic there would be anarchy in the streets and an incel uprising that didn't come to pass.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Dec-10-22 02:08 PM

2. "That's only seen as reckless because someone did it, though."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Dec-10-22 02:08 PM by Frank Longo

Like, there's countless shit in action/horror/comedy movies that would be awful if someone did it in real life. I don't really know that that's "reckless." It just sucks that someone did it. If no one did it, no one would think it's reckless, y'know?

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 09:35 AM

9. "Yeah but some things you know would likely inspire people to copycat"
In response to Reply # 2

like the high school kids lying in the road for football initiation. Like that was bound to happen.

I would think anything that glamorizes suicide would be reckless (and I imagine studio execs stay away from stories that do that).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 04:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "I think “glorifying” is very difficult to define here"
In response to Reply # 9

Because a lot of that is just people misinterpreting the message, or the director leaving the message up to interpretation. So when I see the word “glorify” in discussions like this, I think it’s often subject to that person’s biases. I was tempted to answer the OP with “all the old movies that glorify smoking,” but someone else could argue those movies were just a reflection of the times, or they might point to movies where just the bad guys/anti-heroes smoke.

Take Fight Club, for instance, which has already come up in this post. To me, and to lots of other people, it’s clearly NOT glorifying the behavior we see from Tyler Durden and co. But if you look at the reaction from all the dumbasses who misinterpreted the message, you might argue it was, or at least that it glorified Durden’s behavior by accident.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Fri Dec-16-22 08:55 AM

27. "Hate to switch genres buts it the difference between Straight Outta Comp..."
In response to Reply # 19

and Niggaz4Life.

One felt like an accurate portrayal of a certain lifestyle, the other one felt like a glorification cartoon-ish version of a certain lifestyle.

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Sun Dec-11-22 12:03 PM

3. "Is this for a job interview question at Fox News???"
In response to Reply # 0

>And by reckless I mean something in a movie that could
>inspire real life harmful consequences.

I mean you're referring a 27 year old and 29 year old movies. (Also "violent code games" too.)

But I'll play the game and go with:
"Triumph of the Will (Triumph des Willens)" 1934, by Leni Riefenstah.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

handle
Charter member
18954 posts
Sun Dec-11-22 12:37 PM

5. "Sorry"
In response to Reply # 3

>>And by reckless I mean something in a movie that could
>>inspire real life harmful consequences.
>
>I mean you're referring a 27 year old and 29 year old movies.
>(Also "violent code games" too.)
>
>But I'll play the game and go with:
>"Triumph of the Will (Triumph des Willens)" 1934, by Leni
>Riefenstah.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Sun Dec-11-22 12:20 PM

4. "The Adrenaline needle in Pulp Fiction. "
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Sun Dec-11-22 10:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "all of The Joker"
In response to Reply # 0

--------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38821 posts
Sun Dec-11-22 11:14 PM

7. "responsible for alot of annoying pictures and videos on that staircase"
In response to Reply # 6

so yeah i agree

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 09:36 AM

10. "Yeah why were people calling this movie reckless?"
In response to Reply # 6

Did people think it would inspire people to do...what exactly?

I remember the same thing was said about Fight Club. When I saw it I didn't see how that could happen.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 09:51 AM

11. "Do you see how it could happen now?"
In response to Reply # 10

Because a bunch of men in early adulthood who believe that modern capitalism's primary effect has been alienating them from some natural, proper, and true sense of masculinity and therefore fall under the spell of somebody offering a violent, destructive way to access that masculinity and reclaim their deserved social status seems pretty apt to me now. Definitely didn't at the time though. Whoops.

It didn't happen because of the movie, obviously. Mostly because the movie is reflecting, not prescribing. It happens like clockwork, and the movie is allegorizing that phenomenon.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 04:04 AM

18. "I thought the pre-release discourse was the more reckless part"
In response to Reply # 6

There was all this discourse about how reckless it was to release a movie like that in this day and age, but to me it came across like the media wanted someone to shoot up a theater just so they could say “see? We told you someone would shoot up a theater!”

rdhull
Charter member
33138 posts
Sun Dec-11-22 11:50 PM

8. "Partyman-Batman"
In response to Reply # 0

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 10:33 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "Curb stomping in American History X."
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44861 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 11:13 AM

13. "Nothing. Because they're movies. "
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-12-22 11:15 AM by Cold Truth

People are going to do crazy things.

They'll get their ideas from somewhere.

That doesn't make it the fault, or problem, of the source of that idea, unless that source is overtly encouraging or promoting the act.

It's art. And art, like any deranged person, pulls ideas from somewhere.

Sometimes it pulls from real life that already exists.

To that end, I can't think of anything that fits strong enough criteria for me to call it reckless.

Frankly, I find it more reckless to lay blame at the feet of sincerely created art for the actions of reckless human beings.

I'm sure there are films or books that fit some criteria that I would accept, but I can't think of any.

I think we have films that have aged poorly in their treatment of certain subjects, such as race or homosexuality, that trivializes those issues. I think there's far more to pull from for that discussion.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 11:34 AM

14. "You have a point but you are kinda arguing both ways no? "
In response to Reply # 13

Like I get "it's just art" argument. It persuades me to a certain extent. But I do think art influences people in such a way we should be thoughtful and responsible about what we glorify, elevate or feature. And when I say we, I am not talking about the government.

I mean the Program scene with the kids in the road for a football initiation is the easy example that comes to mind. I think they filmmakers should have asked themselves, how important is this scene to the movie and is it worth it given that it might inspire other kids to do it?

I think that's a responsible reasonable approach but I get that some folks might reject that approach outright and just dismiss that responsibility as ,"it's just art" and art doesn't have that responsibility.

However, if that is the approach, it seems a bit hypocritical or inconsistent to say Art doesn't have that responsibility I described but should be thoughtful and responsible when it comes to using the N word or F word, or making fun or jokes on people based on their sexuality or race. Like why should a film be responsible and thoughtful about depictions of race, sex, sexuality but then draw the line at violence, drug use or other things? It's two different sides of the same culture war (but the same type of argument).

Like I like Handles response above regarding the Nazi movie, the same can be said for Birth of a Nation.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44861 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 12:33 PM

15. "Perhaps. I'll have to chew on it more. It's a tricky issue. "
In response to Reply # 14

>Like I get "it's just art" argument. It persuades me to a
>certain extent. But I do think art influences people in such
>a way we should be thoughtful and responsible about what we
>glorify, elevate or feature. And when I say we, I am not
>talking about the government.
>
>I mean the Program scene with the kids in the road for a
>football initiation is the easy example that comes to mind. I
>think they filmmakers should have asked themselves, how
>important is this scene to the movie and is it worth it given
>that it might inspire other kids to do it?
>
>I think that's a responsible reasonable approach but I get
>that some folks might reject that approach outright and just
>dismiss that responsibility as ,"it's just art" and art
>doesn't have that responsibility.
>
>However, if that is the approach, it seems a bit hypocritical
>or inconsistent to say Art doesn't have that responsibility I
>described but should be thoughtful and responsible when it
>comes to using the N word or F word, or making fun or jokes on
>people based on their sexuality or race. Like why should a
>film be responsible and thoughtful about depictions of race,
>sex, sexuality but then draw the line at violence, drug use or
>other things? It's two different sides of the same culture war
>(but the same type of argument).

Good points. I think this is where nuance and context come into play.

I'll come back to this later, but for now, my take is that there are still contextual reasons to have the N word or F word, if it is in service to a quality story, depicting the harsh realities behind those words. When it becomes flippant and casual in a way that trivializes those things, then it becomes problematic.

But then it's arguable that these issues impact me personally, thus I have a heightened sensitivity to to them. I experienced a lot of violence growing up, and was on the receiving end of a fair amount of gang violence, but I'm about two decades removed from that exposure, so perhaps it doesn't trigger me in the same way.

That said, i agree that this is a minefield and it may be impossible to hit both sides with contradicting myself somehow.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 03:50 PM

16. "Yeah I think the answer is it's highly nuanced and no brightline rules. "
In response to Reply # 15

That's why the government should stay out of it.

Like the government can't tell the difference between the n word used recklessly by QT in Pulp Fiction versus, IDK, Paid in Full (or even Django but I don't want to start that fight).

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 11:01 PM

17. "Anything that makes someone leave the theater saying,"
In response to Reply # 0

"You know Tom Cruise does his own stunts, right?!" with that gleam of stupidity like they could, too, if given the chance.

Teenage TV/movie house parties seem like they would go left in a real bad way, IRL, but I wouldn't know.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41497 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "banana eating in Belly"
In response to Reply # 0

iont like that shit

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Dec-20-22 11:56 AM

29. "lmao..."
In response to Reply # 20

>iont like that shit

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43745 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 05:09 PM

21. "Laying on the street in The Program comes to mind."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Dec-13-22 05:10 PM by Ryan M

Didn't the scene get removed for exactly this reason?

EDIT: This is what I get for reading half your post, lol.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 05:58 PM

22. "Lately, I've been bugged by noble self-sacrifice scenes"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't know, I'm probably reaching, but it's such a prevalent trope and I worry it feeds suicidal thinking. I feel like movies imply there's something more powerful about picking a solution that involves your suffering/death than finding a solution that DOESN'T. Oh well, at least an entire religion isn't based around it...

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18387 posts
Wed Dec-14-22 10:36 AM

23. "not violent, but harsh - Luke Wilson cab scene in Old School "
In response to Reply # 0

Wilson gets in a cab at the airport, asks for a seatbelt, and the cabbie says “I reckoned you quit being such a (homophobic slur)”

I was on a plane a few years back and chose Old school as my in flight movie and I right away noticed that part of the scene was missing. I wrongfully assumed I was watching a clean version of the flick - it WASN’T a clean version , they had just taken out that part which shows you how poorly that part had aged.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Thu Dec-15-22 11:34 AM

24. "Man early 2000 movies are just weird like that. "
In response to Reply # 23

Like you watch it now and just about everything looks contemporary ....until they break out a flip-phone or drop a needlessly cringey homophobic joke.

Like I will watch a move like Old School with my boys and they are dying laughing until a joke like that and they will cringe.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Dec-15-22 11:37 AM

25. ""Paging Dr. F****t" © The Hangover"
In response to Reply # 24

Late 2000s movies too lol. So bad.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Mignight Maruder
Member since Nov 30th 2003
7718 posts
Thu Dec-15-22 05:36 PM

26. "Having literal kids smoking a blunt in the movie Kids."
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure how OKP comes down on that film, but that movie was always a bit cringe to me - especially in retrospect. I only saw it once, way back when it came out on vhs. I was probably in 7th grade at the time. I was far from a square, but also knew right from wrong and was turned off by most of the characters…though I was a fan of Harold Hunter bc I was big into skating at the time.

Anyway, I remember a scene with kids that looked as young as 10 smoking a blunt on a couch. I knew there were kids out there doing that. But I find it pretty reckless that a grown/old ass dude was filming them.

I tend to fall in the “people should know better than to emulate anything they see on film” camp, but some aspects of the film (if I recall correctly since it’s been 25+ years now) were very cringe.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8751 posts
Tue Jan-10-23 11:37 PM

32. "Yeah, in retrospect critics should have fiercely objected to that movie"
In response to Reply # 26

But I'm generally not someone who feels artists should have the right to do or say everything in their art.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

go mack
Member since May 02nd 2008
4020 posts
Fri Dec-16-22 11:10 AM

28. "I'd probably go with Natural Born Killers"
In response to Reply # 0

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Tue Jan-03-23 02:09 PM

30. "The Best Man: The Final Chapters miniseries had something pretty reckles..."
In response to Reply # 0

So for the entire series Terrance Howard and the Reality TV Show Chick have had an on and off thing in very dramatic and clearly toxic relationship.

Spoiler Alert:

So for Terrance Howard to leave his bad ass fiancee Nicole Ari Parker and get with Shelby Parker reasoning that because he hates her so much, they must be in love.

It's not that serious, but to give people the idea that toxic relationships where you hate your partner is a sign of true love, that ain't it.

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16839 posts
Sun Jan-22-23 06:02 PM

33. "I see where you going with this BUT"
In response to Reply # 30

>So for Terrance Howard to leave his bad ass fiancee Nicole Ari
>Parker and get with Shelby Parker reasoning that because he
>hates her so much, they must be in love.

I'm taking Melissa over Nicole ALL DAY if we just being superficial

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15308 posts
Tue Jan-10-23 08:42 PM

31. "Found myself watching Money Train today - remember The Torch? Edit: forg..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-10-23 08:44 PM by Nodima

Forgot this was in the original post LOL!

Chris Cooper with oily, burned up hands pumps gas into subway attendants’ booths and then lights them on fire.

Now that’s one that actually did happen and the movie was heavily boycotted for putting that out in the world, but the crime wasn’t attributed to the movie so it was a very strange coincidence.

It’s a really impressively so bad it’s good watch if you’ve never seen it.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #746833 Previous topic | Next topic