Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745900

Subject: "Do you still pay attention to audience review scores?" Previous topic | Next topic
Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 11:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do you still pay attention to audience review scores?"
Thu Aug-25-22 11:42 AM by Backbone

I.e. the IMDb or Metacritic user scores.

I feel there was a point in history where they generally reflected the broader audience's reception, but nowadays it feels like every movie, series or game gets downvoted to oblivion for being "woke" unless it's clearly pandering to the eternally online anti-woke asshole contingent.

I'm starting to think user reviews should go the way of unmoderated comment sections under news articles. And I should know better than to read that shit in the first place, I know.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah incels and so-called nerds killed audience scores
Aug 25th 2022
And bots
Aug 25th 2022
      Never thought of those in this context,
Aug 26th 2022
Not really, and I think IMDb scores have always been weird
Aug 25th 2022
Never.
Aug 25th 2022
I think I'm going to start doing this.
Aug 25th 2022
you have no one to blame but yourself
Sep 06th 2022
Wiser than I am, lol.
Aug 26th 2022
I check them against critic scores when I’m on the fence
Aug 25th 2022
Yeah that's more or less my algorithm too.
Aug 26th 2022
you have a point when it comes to releases from the cold civil war
Aug 25th 2022
I prefer them over critics/media opinions
Aug 26th 2022
I don't think there's a "narrative".
Aug 26th 2022
Audience scores online are *far* more narrative-driven, tbh.
Aug 26th 2022
Never have and never will
Aug 26th 2022
hard to put much stock in either if there are culture war implications
Aug 26th 2022
No one should ever put stock in "scores" anyway.
Aug 26th 2022
      yea halfway through typing, i realized i don't really check this stuff
Aug 26th 2022
After watching We're All Going to the World's Fair...
Sep 02nd 2022
Now trolls are review-bombing "audience scores" for Rings of Power.
Sep 03rd 2022
IMDB reviews made Teen Titans Go's Zack Snyder episode a 10/10.
Sep 18th 2022
you keep harping on troll bait
Sep 18th 2022
But it’s pretty clearly not *just* troll bait.
Sep 19th 2022
      RE: But it’s pretty clearly not *just* troll bait.
Sep 20th 2022
You don’t think it’s helpful to know when the lion’s share of crit...
Sep 18th 2022

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 11:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yeah incels and so-called nerds killed audience scores"
In response to Reply # 0

Whats troubling is its always directed at movies or shows with female leads or people of color. She Hulk, Captain Marvel, Star Wars, House Of The Dragon once people realize the Sea Snake and his family were black, etc etc

I still look at the critics score for the most part

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 01:09 PM

2. "And bots"
In response to Reply # 1

I mean bots got the Snyder cut released.

The paid like 60 millions dollars to release a 4:3 aspect ratio film and then in black and white.

No real human, other then incels are maladroits, were asking for that.

I would not surprise me at all if it comes out that Snyder paid for the bots.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 10:44 AM

13. "Never thought of those in this context,"
In response to Reply # 2

but I'm sure they play a role.

Don't underestimate the disproportionate amount of incels and maladroits among actively contributing members of the online public, though.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Not really, and I think IMDb scores have always been weird"
In response to Reply # 0

Don’t they have some strange algorithm that they keep super secret? if i remember correctly, they were trying to counteract recency bias, but as a result their “top users” enormously outweigh everyone else when deciding the scores.

I pay attention to RT user scores when it seems like there’s a big difference between critical and public reaction, but that’s about it.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 03:18 PM

4. "Never."
In response to Reply # 0

I try not to even come to PTP before I’ve seen something so my opinion isn’t colored by anyone else.

I think back to the Dreamcast and OG Xbox era when I relied too heavily on IGN ratings and clearly missed out on some fan faves because they weren’t rated highly enough, based on my own arbitrary limit.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 04:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I think I'm going to start doing this."
In response to Reply # 4

>I try not to even come to PTP before I’ve seen something so
>my opinion isn’t colored by anyone else.
>

PTP burned me pretty good with all that Day Shift hype.

---
Love,
Nopayne

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Tue Sep-06-22 12:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
20. "you have no one to blame but yourself"
In response to Reply # 5

you have been coming here way to long to just believe anyone on the boards. Gotta pick the people you agree with and trust their opinions. Like for a long time I almost never agree with Longo's opinion. Shit this goes back to his podcast days. No offense to him but its something i noticed. So if I see him hyping up a movie. Ill wait to see it. Im more of a bwood kind of guy. This reply is reminding me of the seinfeld episode. Im more of Gene's pick kind of guy.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 10:43 AM

12. "Wiser than I am, lol."
In response to Reply # 4

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 05:00 PM

6. "I check them against critic scores when I’m on the fence"
In response to Reply # 0

And want to see in the theater.

If the critics are at 50% and fans have it at 92%, I’ll probably wait until it hits streaming.

If critics have it at 74 and the fans give it an 87, I’ll probably see it in theaters.

It can get a little deeper than that, depending on the movie. But by and large, that’s proven to be a relatively useful guide. I love seeing movies in theater, even movies that aren’t must see, but I still want to ensure I have a good shot at enjoying the movie.

I don’t even bother for films I’m already sold on, or are on a streaming service I have.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 10:30 AM

10. "Yeah that's more or less my algorithm too."
In response to Reply # 6

I think big differences tend to point to culture war influences, where smaller differences often seem to be the result of critics being a little more serious while audiences simply looking for a good time.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Aug-25-22 09:29 PM

7. "you have a point when it comes to releases from the cold civil war"
In response to Reply # 0

i've seen it, i wouldn't deny it, but i also still believe the ratings do and will even themselves out. i see it across social media, so i wouldn't pin it on IMDb. more often than not, when i'm on IMDb, i'm reading about an old movie or show anyway, so it doesn't tend to pop up. when i do look at the reviews of new releases or the composite score, i'm literate enough to cut through the crap and recognize when something is attracting a lot of momentary attention.

overall, my views on voting haven't changed. everyone should give their honest opinion via voting. i love the democracy of that.

i wasn't always good about rating titles on IMDb until netflix changed from stars to thumbs and i realized i needed a good place to keep track of what i've watched. my ratings aren't public, but i'm proud to contribute to the composite score and the occasional review. i value user ratings and reviews as much as if not more than professional critics'.

occasionally i click on the number of ratings for a title and look at the demographics of the raters, which are self-declared age and gender. every once in a while that will sway me on whether to watch something. i don't see a lot of female trolls online. that tends to be a guy thing.

>I'm starting to think user reviews should go the way of
>unmoderated comment sections under news articles. And I should
>know better than to read that shit in the first place, I
>know.

this is censorship. it will be a sad day when the billion- and trillion-dollar businesses finally silence the masses. trolls are still in the minority, albeit growing.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 12:26 AM

8. "I prefer them over critics/media opinions"
In response to Reply # 0

Those flat out bore me as it feels like they just want to get in line with the narrative. Give me regular peoples opinions any day. Good, bad, disingenuous in either direction. At least they feel more honest and personal to me.

<--- Big Baller World Order

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 10:42 AM

11. "I don't think there's a "narrative"."
In response to Reply # 8

Both trashed and acclaimed movies have quite a bit of deviation from the mean among the critic scores. Attitudes are clearly shifting when it comes to topics like representation or sexism, but I think that's just a matter of media writers generally being ahead of the curve when it comes to social issues. Calling it a "narrative" that people "get in line" with kind of makes it look like there's a deliberate agenda at play.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 12:44 PM

14. "Audience scores online are *far* more narrative-driven, tbh."
In response to Reply # 8

There have been myriad articles written about movies/TV shows that have an abysmal audience score *before the movie is released,* lol. Audience scores are review-bombed into oblivion.

Critics' "scores" on Rotten Tomatoes and shit are also bad for other reasons, but at least the people writing those review *see the movie or show* lmao.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 08:28 AM

9. "Never have and never will"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 02:02 PM

15. "hard to put much stock in either if there are culture war implications"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Aug-26-22 02:03 PM by Mynoriti

then critic reviews tend to be too self-conscious, and audience score, just reactive.

i suppose at least you know the critics have actually seen the movie or show, but if i get any sense that culture war noise is a driving force of the split, i'm not gonna rely much on either one.

but thinking about it, i can't remember the last time either one of these things had any bearing on what i'm gonna see or not see. Most of the time I look at these things after the fact.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 03:10 PM

16. "No one should ever put stock in "scores" anyway."
In response to Reply # 15

Rotten Tomatoes is a pox, a disease on the discourse. (And I say that as someone who had his reviews featured there at one point!)

The best thing to do is find people you trust-- critics and/or friends. I have a few critics I follow whose work is *always* interesting to me, and if they say they love something, I'm compelled to check it out. I won't always like it, but they'll move the needle for me.

But that requires reading a bunch of reviews and seeing what people actually say. And that feels wildly out of fashion these days lol.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Fri Aug-26-22 03:42 PM

17. "yea halfway through typing, i realized i don't really check this stuff"
In response to Reply # 16

i might hear it second hand that something is getting good/bad reviews, but I don't recall really going to RT or metacritic to check a score before i see something.

i might go to RT confirm if some 90/30 screenshot being shared is real, but that's about it.

if someone i trust is big upping something i haven't heard of, it could convince me to check for it. If it's something I was already interested in, at the most it could lower my expectations, but i'll always check for myself.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Fri Sep-02-22 11:22 AM

18. "After watching We're All Going to the World's Fair..."
In response to Reply # 0

maybe I should start. The elevated horror movement has created some classics, but man has it also created some frustrating movies.

I've gotten pretty good at reading between the lines of critics reviews so that's mainly what I stick with, especially since audience scores tend to really reward the kind of movies I've grown tired of lately.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Sep-03-22 11:37 AM

19. "Now trolls are review-bombing "audience scores" for Rings of Power."
In response to Reply # 0

This is just textbook shit. Make something in the fantasy/sci-fi/superhero genre where there's some degree of focus on women and/or minorities, and for "unexplainable reasons," the audience score is immediately in the shitter.

It happens time and time again. Audience scores mean nothing. Never have, never will.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sun Sep-18-22 10:46 AM

21. "IMDB reviews made Teen Titans Go's Zack Snyder episode a 10/10."
In response to Reply # 0

Tied for the highest rated episode in TV history on IMDB.

Now, since that got reported on Twitter, the score has now magically dipped down to 8.1/10, because a number of people went in and gave it a score of 1 in retaliation.

This is just a nice lil' microcosm of why IMDB user reviews are completely worthless, lol.

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Sep-18-22 12:23 PM

22. "you keep harping on troll bait"
In response to Reply # 21

less than 1% of film and television

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Mon Sep-19-22 10:18 AM

24. "But it’s pretty clearly not *just* troll bait."
In response to Reply # 22

The most glaring examples are, sure, but anything that women and minority leads is subject to review-bombing— or anything based on existing IP (aka most new movies and shows) where the race of a character has changed (aka a pretty decent chunk of new movies and shows). That’s such a higher percentage than 1% of movies.

And especially on IMDB, you far more frequently these days see a sea of 10/10s and 1/10s than you ever did 20 or even 10 years ago. Bots are far more prevalent, review-bombing is far more prevalent. Gone are the days of the early 2000s where people largely used the reviews section to actually, yknow, write reviews.

And as discourse (from both online people *and* online critics, to be fair) becomes increasingly binary, I doubt we see this change any time soon. And it’s not just the racists, misogynists, and transphobes— we see it the other way increasingly too, where a vocal collective of online viewers insist depiction is endorsement in any movie that pushes buttons or explores morally grey areas of humanity. People online increasingly look to be on a Pro-Film team or Anti-Film team, and that just represents the death of real discourse (and it’s why I’ve always hated the Rotten vs Fresh dynamic of RT since the beginning, as it encourages that binary imo).

howisya
39983 posts
Tue Sep-20-22 08:13 PM

25. "RE: But it’s pretty clearly not *just* troll bait."
In response to Reply # 24

>The most glaring examples are, sure, but anything that women
>and minority leads is subject to review-bombing— or anything
>based on existing IP (aka most new movies and shows) where the
>race of a character has changed (aka a pretty decent chunk of
>new movies and shows). That’s such a higher percentage than
>1% of movies.

IMDb is a database for all film and television. what you're referring to is as i said. let's hope it never becomes more than that, but at the current rate, it probably will.

>And especially on IMDB, you far more frequently these days see
>a sea of 10/10s and 1/10s than you ever did 20 or even 10
>years ago.

that sounds right but not empirical. before netflix did away with star ratings, i noticed the same issue: 1 and 5 stars with not much in between. you might remember amy schumer's standup special being the last straw for the ratings.

anecdotally, the few reviews i've written on IMDB i've noticed go through patterns of being voted down and then suddenly the number of votes changes. for 'country music,' i didn't whine about the modest coverage of george strait (yes, that was a thing; for the longest time, the longest review was 0 of 1 found helpful). for 'dune,' i didn't give it a score on either extreme, like you said, but it was more positive than negative when many came there to trash it. i don't know what's going on with 'video music box.' maybe my take sucked, but i don't think so. i had fun writing those anyway and won't stop.

>Bots are far more prevalent, review-bombing is far
>more prevalent. Gone are the days of the early 2000s where
>people largely used the reviews section to actually, yknow,
>write reviews.

i really don't know how prevalent bots are on IMDb. i give reviewers the benefit of the doubt that they are numbskulls. for ratings, i know studios cook the books. low-budget independent films often have few ratings (e.g., under 100) and reviews, but they're glowing without any professional coverage. eventually sometimes a disinterested party bothers to review it. again: media literacy.

>And as discourse (from both online people *and* online
>critics, to be fair) becomes increasingly binary, I doubt we
>see this change any time soon.

agreed, and as a lover of nuance and variety and someone who at least tries to take each individual as such, that makes me sad.

>People online increasingly look to be on a Pro-Film team or
>Anti-Film team, and that just represents the death of real
>discourse

that's been my observation online in general in recent years. i considered myself as somewhat "taking off" the rump years, retreating into further self-imposed obscurity, characteristically stubbornly optimistic we'd somehow bounce back. i've come to accept there's no going back and just leave my little seeds of self wherever it amuses me, like a subway jackoff artist.

>(and it’s why I’ve always hated the Rotten vs
>Fresh dynamic of RT since the beginning, as it encourages that
>binary imo).

for me, 100% fresh ironically may be 100% bland. that's why i dig user reviews and credible rating data.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Sun Sep-18-22 05:09 PM

23. "You don’t think it’s helpful to know when the lion’s share of crit..."
In response to Reply # 21

Of a film or show is rooted in homophobia, misogyny, and racism?

Moreover, review bombing CLEARLY taints those particular reviews irreparably.

“Professional” Critical reviews are often self-absorbed garbage from ex-film students who have lost sight of how fans receive the medium. I’ve seen too many moronic critiques from professionals to give them much credence whatsoever, from an individual standpoint.

But that’s me. I still see the value in the consensus- particularly if I see a pattern within those reviews. Sometimes that value is detection of a bias, sometimes that value is highlighting a particular performance.

That said, there is a lot to be said for the Wisdom Of The Crowd. A broad, general consensus taken from varying sources from widely differing perspectives IS a reasonably objective barometer, and that includes user reviews. ignoring clearly tainted reviews is part of that.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745900 Previous topic | Next topic