Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745724

Subject: "Sandman on Netflix (Gaiman, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Mon Aug-15-22 02:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Sandman on Netflix (Gaiman, 2022)"

I am familiar with the broad strokes of the comics but haven't read them, which might have been the perfect way to go into this. I ate this show up and I haven't been able to finish a single Marvel DisneyPlus series (it's not you, Marvel, it's me).

Each episode has its own arc but still builds up to a larger story. Perfect mix IMO of esoteric ideas and concrete story-telling and motivations. Acting/casting is good to great. Effects are pretty much standard Netflix, but they're in service of cool, original ideas, which makes me forgive a lot of the clunkier shots.

I guess I finally understand why people love this comic series (which I understand the series follows pretty closely, to the point that it can deflate the suspense for people who know them well). For how dark it can get, there's a lot of heart, empathy, and even optimism.

I think this has been a hit for Netflix? Hopefully they can keep up this level of narrative quality.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm a big fan of the comic. It always felt unadaptable to me.
Aug 15th 2022
Episodes 5 and 6 really pulled me out of it
Aug 15th 2022
5 would rank pretty low for me, but I loved 6, ending especially
Aug 15th 2022
Dream trying to get his tools back was the most interesting part.
Sep 05th 2022

khn
Member since Jan 20th 2015
682 posts
Mon Aug-15-22 03:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm a big fan of the comic. It always felt unadaptable to me."
In response to Reply # 0

Well, I'm maybe gonna have to walk that back. First two episodes were pretty darn good.

Part of the un-adaptability to me was getting Morpheus right. Seems like Sturridge was a good get on that front so far.

That said... Brienne of Tarth as Lucifer feels like some stunt casting bs to me. But we'll see how it goes.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22101 posts
Mon Aug-15-22 03:27 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Episodes 5 and 6 really pulled me out of it"
In response to Reply # 0

5 was especially bad to me. 6 was better, but the ending didn't make any sense... so it left a bad taste.
I guess I'll go back and finish...

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Mon Aug-15-22 04:20 PM

3. "5 would rank pretty low for me, but I loved 6, ending especially"
In response to Reply # 2

And even with 5, I liked the idea of it and thought it was pretty relevant to right now, but it was executed in such an over-the-top way that it diluted the impact.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Mon Sep-05-22 03:45 PM

4. "Dream trying to get his tools back was the most interesting part."
In response to Reply # 0

They could've stretched that out to a full season, as far as I'm concerned. The "vortex" part of the story was a bit of a letdown because it felt like building up to catching up to The Corinthian kinda came and went.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745724 Previous topic | Next topic