Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745723

Subject: "Heat 2 (Mann, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Mon Aug-15-22 01:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Heat 2 (Mann, 2022)"
Mon Aug-15-22 01:17 PM by WarriorPoet415

Yep.

Michael Mann.

Heat. The sequel. This year--- IN NOVEL FORM.

Just came out last week. I'm about 100 pages in. Written with Meg Gardiner. Never heard of her, but so far it's an entertaining read.

Basically follows Det. Hanna chasing Shiherlis as he's the only member of the crew to escape. Also has flashbacks of Hanna's early days as a detective and Macauley's crew earlier antics and dealings in the criminal underworld. Also deals with fallout of the big heist.

Really has a nice vibe so far, the only downside being (I'm guessing Gardiner's) sometimes trying too hard to come up with lingo like Pacino used in the original movie.

Can't wait to finish this one.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm enjoying it so far
Aug 18th 2022
Finished it. Scattered Ideas, too man coincidences, and cringe
Aug 22nd 2022
Your review is what I had read about the book.
Aug 24th 2022
Finished it this weekend.
Sep 12th 2022

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Thu Aug-18-22 10:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'm enjoying it so far"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm with you on the Hanaisms, they're almost too comical. The only thing that makes it better is I'm listening via Audible and the reader is doing his best Pacino to match the writing.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Mon Aug-22-22 08:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Finished it. Scattered Ideas, too man coincidences, and cringe"
In response to Reply # 0

It was interesting to flesh out McCauley and Hana's backstories. Hana's wife and McCauley's Mexicali incident were incredible pieces of info. But to make them be that near each other in 88' was a bit much. The '00s was cool, but you could tell it was a mash-up of Miami Vice and Blackhat.

The Good:

The Mexicali Score and everything building up from the Chicago score was awesome. It could probably be it's own film.
The Waingro-like character. (I'd love to see some try to play that role.)
Paraguay and Chris' transformation.
Chicago Hanna and Home Invasions.
The Finale in Singapore
Kelso (give me a book about that guy)

The Bad:
Chicago (too convenient for Hanna and Neil to be in Chicago at the same time)
Mann's asiaphile obsession
Freeway Gun battle
Charlene and Chris' story in 2000
Hannaisms (felt like they were trying to hard to nail the lines like Pacino did them)

I know Mann wants to make a film with a lot of elements from this novel, but honestly it would be better off a two separate films. Obviously he would have to recast, so I'd be fine if he just made the 1988 parts and skip 00's. The 00's part felt too much like the plot of Miami Vice with pieces of Blackhat thrown in for good measure. As much as I would like the story of Chris continued, I just don't think it would make for a good film unless the cut most of the stuff with him and Charlene.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

inpulse
Member since May 23rd 2007
5891 posts
Wed Aug-24-22 03:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Your review is what I had read about the book."
In response to Reply # 2

Huge Heat fan, and I was initially pumped about this book. Then the reviews came out, and I was like ehhhh.

Mann has said he intends to do a Heat trilogy, after he finishes Ferrari, with the story from this novel. I assume he meant two more Heat films and not a whole new Heat trilogy. Either way, given his age, and the speed at which he usually releases movies, I'm doubtful.

WarriorPoet415
Member since Sep 30th 2003
17895 posts
Mon Sep-12-22 10:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Finished it this weekend. "
In response to Reply # 0

Really good read, can be edge of your seat at times. But the post-heist parts are pretty up and down. I wasn't particularly intrigued by Chris' quest.

For as much as was made of him wanting to get his family back, but resolution in the book was pretty meh.

Also the big heist/shootout in the prequel portion was excellent, but then it just drops and goes nowhere. All of a sudden there's a big time jump and barely believable convergence of three parties from the past all of a sudden in L.A. All to set up another sequel. Meh.

Overall enjoyable, but tries to cover a *bit* too much ground, and as a result some story lines get short-changed.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745723 Previous topic | Next topic