Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745561

Subject: "Banshees of Inisherin (McDonagh, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
woodsen2
Member since Jan 14th 2003
996 posts
Thu Aug-04-22 06:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Banshees of Inisherin (McDonagh, 2022)"

Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRu3zLOJN2c

Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleenson together again

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
All in.
Aug 05th 2022
This looks good
Aug 05th 2022
Hell yeah! Those two and McDonagh are proven winners
Aug 08th 2022
Saw this last Monday. Loved it.
Oct 17th 2022
Out in LA and NY
Oct 21st 2022
Give Colin Farrell the Oscar.
Oct 22nd 2022
I’m still trying to figure out how I feel about it
Nov 15th 2022
So how did it sit for the past few weeks?
Dec 12th 2022
Re: Gleason and Colm
Dec 14th 2022
      RE: Re: Gleason and Colm
Dec 15th 2022
           the scene between the priest and Colm is hilarious btw
Dec 28th 2022
Yup. Glad Kerry Condon is finally getting recognized.
Dec 14th 2022
Up on HBO Max already.
Dec 14th 2022
Geez, thanks
Dec 14th 2022
I'm looking forward to seeing it again
Dec 14th 2022
definitely appreciate more on the rewatch
Feb 23rd 2023
This and Glass Onion
Dec 15th 2022
this was really good
Dec 17th 2022
whole cast deserves nominations.
Dec 17th 2022
Man, props to BK in this
Jan 06th 2023
Hope v. Despair
Dec 23rd 2022
liked it a lot more than I assumed
Dec 28th 2022
I guess their relationship was just metaphor of the civil war
Feb 23rd 2023
can you expound on this?
Sep 26th 2023

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Fri Aug-05-22 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "All in."
In response to Reply # 0

McDonagh’s one of my favorite writers ever, and this feels right in line with his plays. Darkly funny, super Irish. Really really excited for this.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Fri Aug-05-22 11:08 AM

2. "This looks good"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Mon Aug-08-22 11:37 AM

3. "Hell yeah! Those two and McDonagh are proven winners"
In response to Reply # 0

Loved In Bruges. Absurdly amped for this.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Mon Oct-17-22 08:56 AM

4. "Saw this last Monday. Loved it."
In response to Reply # 0

My favorite McDonagh film yet.

Timely message about how we should be nice to each as everything around us gets affected by actions big and small.

Like all of McDonagh's films it's funny till its not.

Gonna see it again next Monday

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Fri Oct-21-22 03:13 PM

5. "Out in LA and NY"
In response to Reply # 0

Hoping for a wider release soon.

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Sat Oct-22-22 01:04 AM

6. "Give Colin Farrell the Oscar."
In response to Reply # 0

Kerry Condon too while we're at it.

Gonna see it again and chew on some of its more interesting bits a while longer, but at bare minimum, it's lovely, sad, and the funniest movie of the year.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Tue Nov-15-22 07:18 PM

7. "I’m still trying to figure out how I feel about it"
In response to Reply # 6

I liked it. It’s definitely beautiful and funny and sad. I think I will appreciate it more on second watch.

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Mon Dec-12-22 08:11 AM

8. "So how did it sit for the past few weeks?"
In response to Reply # 6

I just saw it yesterday and I've been, to borrow your phrase, chewing it over since then. That's not enough time, so I need to be told what to think. It sort of dodges any attempt I make to hang a coherent world outlook on it. Or partly. The argument between Colm and Padraic in the bar seemed like it was going to unearth some meaty stuff, but I could never get a grip on Colm's interior. Which was clearly intentional. And having this conflict take place between Colm (who is obviously going through something intense and dramatic but who is himself a cipher and behaving like a menacing narcissist) and Padraic (who is, as they make clear over and over and over again: not very bright) means we're not going to get helpful context and we're definitely not going to get resolution. We're going to get horror and violence. But I'm also glad it didn't go too "men would rather cut off all the fingers on their fiddle hand with rusty garden shears than go to therapy" though that was *clearly* what Siobhan was thinking for basically the entire movie until she blessedly skipped town.

Every single performance was absolutely gripping. Farrell for giving so many dimensions to "lonely and wounded". Gleason for his discipline in not giving away a single bit of Colm even though it would have desperately satisfied me. Kerry Condon making herself into more than the voice of reason. And Barry Keoghan for making me so sad. Even the shockingly stupid, evil little malice of the cop.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Frank Longo
86672 posts
Wed Dec-14-22 04:20 PM

12. "Re: Gleason and Colm"
In response to Reply # 8

There was an interesting bit of the Jamie Lee Curtis - Colin Farrell Actors on Actors conversation that Variety did where Curtis more or less said she sympathized with Colm, because the older you get and the more precious you realize time is, the more you cut friends out and remove anything from your life that isn't of immediate value. And they discussed how, when those sorts of necessary removals happen, it's never going to be clean. Some interesting perspective, especially when combined with the very clear depression Colm is going through (and I believe admits to near the end, if memory serves).

I'm getting around to my rewatch tonight, finally, now that it's on HBOMax. I'll be interested to see what else I take away from it. But in sitting, more than anything else, I'm left with a movie that's very funny, very interested in the complexity of people, very interested in the pain that change causes no matter how necessary (Siobhan obviously contributing to this as well), and overall about as lovely and sad and fascinating as any movie I've seen this year.

And I definitely think McDonagh dodges an easy-to-define worldview. He loves finding the gray area, shoving characters in there, giving them frightening turns of violence to reckon with, and seeing how they respond. His plays are certainly filled to the brim with this, as are, to some extent, his other movies.

(A big reason why so many people responded so negatively to Three Billboards, I suspect, is the idea of people not wanting to see a racist cop put into a situation where his response to violence might merit redemption. But I do *not* think taking a "right" action-- if such a thing truly exists in his world-- is the same thing as meriting redemption in McDonagh's eyes, neither in Three Billboards, nor Banshees, nor any of his movies or plays.)

(And all that having been said, there's also just a degree to which people *gel* with a certain writer's style, where it's very, very much for them, and even if/when things don't always work in their work, you're still left with that dialogue that absolutely pushes the right buttons for you and gets you to connect regardless. And McDonagh kinda is that guy for me. So it's hard for me to remain anything even resembling objective with my thoughts on his work when I'm still just swimming in the *experience* of getting to sit in a theater and hear dialogue like that. My response often just boils down to "fuck, it's a blessing that something like this still gets made. Who wants to get a drink?" lol)

Walleye
Charter member
15523 posts
Thu Dec-15-22 01:55 PM

15. "RE: Re: Gleason and Colm"
In response to Reply # 12

>There was an interesting bit of the Jamie Lee Curtis - Colin
>Farrell Actors on Actors conversation that Variety did where
>Curtis more or less said she sympathized with Colm, because
>the older you get and the more precious you realize time is,
>the more you cut friends out and remove anything from your
>life that isn't of immediate value. And they discussed how,
>when those sorts of necessary removals happen, it's never
>going to be clean. Some interesting perspective, especially
>when combined with the very clear depression Colm is going
>through (and I believe admits to near the end, if memory
>serves).

Yeah, plus the priest keeps asking him about "the despair" in confession. Despair is a rather serious sin in our church, but a mental health "system" that leans in sacramental confession is probably not going to have a lot of useful things to say about despair besides "don't." I'm hardly one to argue with Jamie Lee Curtis, but I'm certainly not and I don't think the film was as sympathetic to Colm as she is here. This is where I wish that their argument in the bar had gotten more traction, especially given the way you drop the word "value" into the middle of their friendship - which seems rather apt to the way their relationship is breaking down. The argument in the bar is about how they perceive the value of their life, and so their friendship. Colm's position is, to me, selfish and acquisitive. If he'd kept it about the creation of art, something beautiful for the sake of adding beautiful things (music, in this case) to the world then I think I'd be more comfortable feeling for him. But instead, he was talking about a personal legacy, something that *he* could leave the world that would make his name last. The desire for something to last, meaningfully, from our lives does seem like a pretty fruitful axis for despair, but this was also one of the rare moments where Padraic seemed thoughtful and intuitive about his relationship in the world. Just *being* is meaningful and has value for him, and he almost puts together an elegant case for it, even if he leans a bit too hard on the bland term "nice".

I don't know. McDonagh clearly doesn't want us to pick teams here, but I couldn't always help it. Colm appealed to what is worst about me and Padraic appealed to what is best, even if the best of me isn't very interesting.

>And I definitely think McDonagh dodges an easy-to-define
>worldview. He loves finding the gray area, shoving characters
>in there, giving them frightening turns of violence to reckon
>with, and seeing how they respond. His plays are certainly
>filled to the brim with this, as are, to some extent, his
>other movies.

My mother is a huge fan of his plays and movies, in spite of not caring for violent work in almost any other context. He reminds me of Flannery O'Connor in what is emerging as a pretty durable outlook: to be able to change is grace, but grace and change aren't easy. They're violent and explosive and abrupt and awful while it's happening. You'd have to be pretty stupid to want things to change, but sometimes they need to.

And now, I've accidentally gone and written myself into solidarity with Colm's grim, fingerless position. So yeah - nothing easy happening here.

>(A big reason why so many people responded so negatively to
>Three Billboards, I suspect, is the idea of people not wanting
>to see a racist cop put into a situation where his response to
>violence might merit redemption. But I do *not* think taking a
>"right" action-- if such a thing truly exists in his world--
>is the same thing as meriting redemption in McDonagh's eyes,
>neither in Three Billboards, nor Banshees, nor any of his
>movies or plays.)

I think I agree, except with the stipulation that redemption can be an "is" and not an "ought". He combines a Catholic requirement for inherent righteousness but also sees that redemptive grace as a bomb dropped into the middle of our life. If we have to reborn into order to be saved, that rebirth is going to hurt real bad and destroy everything we cared about because what's the point of change that doesn't demand that of us.

I actually rewatched In Bruges the other day, but I'm not sure if I have Three Billboards in me yet. That one was really rough.

>(And all that having been said, there's also just a degree to
>which people *gel* with a certain writer's style, where it's
>very, very much for them, and even if/when things don't always
>work in their work, you're still left with that dialogue that
>absolutely pushes the right buttons for you and gets you to
>connect regardless. And McDonagh kinda is that guy for me. So
>it's hard for me to remain anything even resembling objective
>with my thoughts on his work when I'm still just swimming in
>the *experience* of getting to sit in a theater and hear
>dialogue like that. My response often just boils down to
>"fuck, it's a blessing that something like this still gets
>made. Who wants to get a drink?" lol)

First, I am very impressed with the length of the last two parenthetical asides. That's some good, weird work.

But also - of course, but you consume enough of the moviearts that I don't really think you need to justify yourself here. It's not like your failure at objectivity doesn't have any context because you're only taking in Martin McDonagh films. I feel like I've had artists that I've felt this way about, and then, with the fullness of time and their career realized that it was just as much fun to talk about which work really fleshes out their vision, which work maybe fails, and which stuff is just weird and different.

--Walleye's Dad

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Wed Dec-28-22 04:41 PM

20. "the scene between the priest and Colm is hilarious btw"
In response to Reply # 15
Wed Dec-28-22 04:42 PM by makaveli

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Wed Dec-14-22 08:38 AM

10. "Yup. Glad Kerry Condon is finally getting recognized. "
In response to Reply # 6

She always been one of the best actresses working.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5629 posts
Wed Dec-14-22 08:30 AM

9. "Up on HBO Max already. "
In response to Reply # 0

About to give it a watch.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Wed Dec-14-22 04:52 PM

13. "Geez, thanks"
In response to Reply # 9

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Wed Dec-14-22 03:41 PM

11. "I'm looking forward to seeing it again"
In response to Reply # 0

i'm sure i'll pick up some more.

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Thu Feb-23-23 04:46 PM

22. "definitely appreciate more on the rewatch"
In response to Reply # 11

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Thu Dec-15-22 11:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "This and Glass Onion"
In response to Reply # 0

are the only two movies I remember legitimately loving this year.

Watched Bones and All the night before this and was pretty mixed on that. I loved The Batman in the theaters but it hasn't weathered subsequent rewatches on HBOMax nearly as well.

This, I'm very much looking forward to revisiting. Just an excellent film.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Sat Dec-17-22 06:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "this was really good"
In response to Reply # 0

appreciate yall for recommending it

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sat Dec-17-22 06:47 AM

17. "whole cast deserves nominations."
In response to Reply # 0

splendid film.

unrelated: i hate how they used barry keoghan as a throwaway joker scene in the batman.

if he (or anyone else) is going to be joker...he deserves a proper unveiling in a more joker-centric batman movie.

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Fri Jan-06-23 02:57 PM

21. "Man, props to BK in this"
In response to Reply # 17

Never has really done it for me before, but loved what he did here. So funny

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Fri Dec-23-22 07:54 PM

18. "Hope v. Despair"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Dec-23-22 07:56 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

You ever heard someone say that if you have two roommates, one neat and one messy, given enough time you will two messy roommates?

That's what this movie made me think of. Colin Firth went from a kind, maybe dull, happy man to a dark, wiser meaner man. By the end of the movie he got what he wanted, the respect and attention of Gleeson, but it didn't seem worth it. I've tried to have friendships with the depressed and it takes a toll on you.

Great performances all around. I never say In Brugres, will check out now.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

will_5198
Charter member
63112 posts
Wed Dec-28-22 03:10 PM

19. "liked it a lot more than I assumed"
In response to Reply # 0

a great cast chewing fat over beautiful, desolate scenery

I've really enjoyed the moral ambiguity of this and Three Billboards, and the different forms of never-ending vengeance that never replace what was lost

--------

rdhull
Charter member
33138 posts
Thu Feb-23-23 06:18 PM

23. "I guess their relationship was just metaphor of the civil war "
In response to Reply # 0

Their beach coco at the bd confirmed it for me

makaveli
Charter member
16307 posts
Tue Sep-26-23 04:04 PM

24. "can you expound on this?"
In response to Reply # 23

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745561 Previous topic | Next topic