Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745115

Subject: "RIP James Caan" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Jul-07-22 05:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RIP James Caan"
Thu Jul-07-22 05:50 PM by c71

I have the honor to do the RIP James Caan post for Pass the Popcorn

Thanks for the gift, y'all

Man, as a 70's kid, his movies were just...."it"

Rollerball

The Killer Elite

The Godfather

Thief (yeah, I know this is early 80's - but this is when the early 80's was LIVE not the cheezy mid-80's)

And then he was just in a lot of 1970's stuff that you would catch on TV all the time in bits and pieces like "The Gambler" and "Harry and Walter go to New York"

THEN...

just messing around renting formula movies from the library during the 2010's, I came upon "The Outsider" which is formula that hits all the bullseye's - ESPECIALLY James Caan as the BAD guy.

The Outsider (trailer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhSqyzTYt90

I had to buy that DVD (too rewatchable) just like I had to buy the DVD for the 2010's formula classic "The Take"/"Bastille Day" (Idris Elba)

yeah, thanks for the honor, folks.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/james-caan-death-mourned-godfather-205200870.html

NY Daily News

James Caan’s death mourned by ‘Godfather’ director Francis Ford Coppola, stars Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Talia Shire

Peter Sblendorio, New York Daily News

Thu, July 7, 2022

Francis Ford Coppola, Al Pacino and other members of “The Godfather” family paid tribute to James Caan following his death at age 82.

The New York-born Caan, who portrayed the hotheaded Sonny Corleone in the classic 1972 mobster movie, died Wednesday. A cause of death has not been released.

“Jimmy was my fictional brother and my lifelong friend,” Pacino, who starred as Sonny’s brother Michael Corleone, said in a statement Thursday. “It’s hard to believe that he won’t be in the world anymore because he was so alive and daring. A great actor, a brilliant director and my dear friend. I’m gonna miss him.”

Coppola attended Hofstra University with Cann before working with him on multiple movies, including 1969′s “The Rain People.” They united again for “The Godfather,” which Coppola directed and co-wrote.

“Jimmy was someone who stretched through my life longer and closer than any motion picture figure I’ve ever known,” Coppola said Thursday.

“From those earlier times working together on THE RAIN PEOPLE and throughout all the milestones of my life, his films and the many great roles he played will never be forgotten. He will always be my old friend from Sunnyside, my collaborator and one of the funniest people I’ve ever known.”

Robert De Niro, who won an Oscar for his work on 1974′s “The Godfather II,” said, “I’m very very sad to hear about Jimmy’s passing.”

Talia Shire portrayed Sonny’s younger sister, Connie, in “The Godfather.” One of the film’s most famous scenes involved Sonny beating up Connie’s abusive husband, Carlo, using his fists and a trash can.

“James was a good man, a kind man, a family man, and a wildly gifted man — whose great talent will always be loved and remembered,” Shire said in a statement. My prayers are with his family that he treasured so dearly.”

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Rest easy, Santino
Jul 07th 2022
RE: RIP James Caan
Jul 07th 2022
Was listening to a podcast about Misery the day he died, unknowingly.
Jul 08th 2022
yeah i was just thinking about that
Jul 08th 2022
Freebie and the Bean car chase >> Bulitt car chase
Jul 08th 2022

Mynoriti
Charter member
38820 posts
Thu Jul-07-22 07:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Rest easy, Santino"
In response to Reply # 0

:(

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Thu Jul-07-22 11:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: RIP James Caan"
In response to Reply # 0

Thief is one of the great crime movies. Such a prototype and James Caan played the shit out of that part. RIP.

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Fri Jul-08-22 09:04 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Was listening to a podcast about Misery the day he died, unknowingly."
In response to Reply # 0

RIP.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Mynoriti
Charter member
38820 posts
Fri Jul-08-22 01:52 PM

4. "yeah i was just thinking about that"
In response to Reply # 3

i didn't listen to the Misery episode because it's been too long since i've seen it, but i saw an image in one of his tributes and was like shit, man..

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Fri Jul-08-22 10:34 PM

5. "Freebie and the Bean car chase >> Bulitt car chase"
In response to Reply # 0

It's a lot funnier for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q5xh5EdEaI

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #745115 Previous topic | Next topic