Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744889

Subject: "Glass Onion. A Knives Out Mystery (Rian Johnson, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Mon Jun-13-22 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Glass Onion. A Knives Out Mystery (Rian Johnson, 2022)"

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1536379230526722049?s=19

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's better than KNIVES OUT!
Nov 21st 2022
Really loved this movie. A whole lot of fun (some SPOILERS)
Nov 24th 2022
If I have a gripe it's that it takes a bit too long in setting everythin...
Nov 25th 2022
re: small spoiler
Nov 30th 2022
      lol I noticed that bump as well.
Dec 01st 2022
           I just kept doing mental gymnastics because of it.
Dec 23rd 2022
It's fun. Glad movies like this are getting made.
Dec 01st 2022
A straight up fun ass ride.
Dec 23rd 2022
first 2/3 as good as KO. final act fell a little flat for me
Dec 24th 2022
This was really good and a lot of fun
Dec 24th 2022
It just hit me on rewatch that when Miles first comes to Glass Onion
Dec 25th 2022
Such a great alternative to the SuperHero Movies.
Dec 25th 2022
I mean, I don't know if Johnson knew people would hate him...
Dec 25th 2022
Ok, so I'm not crazy
Dec 27th 2022
I enjoyed this quite a bit
Dec 26th 2022
The scene in the living area with the paintings…
Dec 26th 2022
I really enjoyed this.
Dec 27th 2022
On top of what other folks are saying, the set designs were top tier.
Dec 27th 2022

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8597 posts
Mon Nov-21-22 03:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's better than KNIVES OUT!"
In response to Reply # 0

Rian pulled off a big task. GLASS ONION is miles better than KNIVES OUT. And the first one is fantastic!

Go in as cold as possible.

Rian Johnson has an uphill battle for the third one that I don't envy. Seeing this again Friday with a sold out audience and I'm hyped!

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Thu Nov-24-22 12:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Really loved this movie. A whole lot of fun (some SPOILERS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Took the nephews to see it yesterday and they also loved it.

I agree that this is better than Knives Out, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. This film hits the ground running and doesn't stop, as things are tremendously interesting and funny as hell.

Craig was fantastic as usual, and seems to be having a blast playing the character. I'd be happy to see him play Benoit Blanc for a long as he wants.

This really should be a star-making performance for Jaenelle Monae. She's absolutely great, playing a character that could have been ridiculous in all of the wrong ways. She hits all of the right serious and comedic notes, and never goes over the top. I could watch her play drunk for an entire film.

Norton, Bautista, Hahn, Hudson, and Odom are all entertaining. They serve as great send-ups of the vapidness of the wealthy. In general, this film is great at mocking the cult of personality for billionaires, men's rights activists, and celebrities who complain about "getting cancelled."

And, as a bonus, there are a lot of great cameos. Thoroughly unexpected ones.

So, yeah, one of the best movies I've seen this year, and I'll happily watch it again. In the theater or on Netflix.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6564 posts
Fri Nov-25-22 08:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "If I have a gripe it's that it takes a bit too long in setting everythin..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-25-22 08:29 AM by navajo joe

BUT the movie proceeds to pay EVERYTHING off with the exception of one small spoiler that's funny in hindsight because you expect it to be something but it's not at all which was actually a good choice. It feels the length more than the first film but it also is every bit as economical if not moreso.

I also find the sun-bleached Mediterranean exteriors so hard to pull off in a way that's visually interesting (see also: this season of The White Lotus. Succession did it the best of the three). But that's just a personal thing.

That said, I'm really glad I saw this in a theater. This is definitely an audience movie and I'll probably try to see it again in theaters if I can.

Janelle Monae is so good and you could tell me that film was created solely to capture her image and I'd believe you. She's just has "it" and is so so good here she could/should be the biggest movie star in the world.

I derive a lot of joy out of seeing people being truly happy and I think a large part of why I love these movies especially this one is because of how much I enjoy Daniel Craig just having the time of his life.

I can say without a doubt this is the best Noah Segan cameo in a Rian Johnson film.

I don't quite know if on a whole it's better than the original yet but it's right there and I'm 110% in for another.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13180 posts
Wed Nov-30-22 02:49 PM

4. "re: small spoiler"
In response to Reply # 3

>BUT the movie proceeds to pay EVERYTHING off with the
>exception of one small spoiler that's funny in hindsight
>because you expect it to be something but it's not at all
>which was actually a good choice.

Are you referring to the random dude who is on the island who pops in several times throughout the movie? Norton's character mentions during the dinner that he placed clues around the island, some valuable, some red herrings, so at the end of the movie I took it as a meta comment on the movie itself. I noticed a few other red herrings as well. Batista's character bumps into someone when he turns around and in hindsight you figure "ah, that's where he got his gun stolen" but when they replay the scene later in the movie the gun is still in his holster.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86639 posts
Thu Dec-01-22 02:11 PM

5. "lol I noticed that bump as well."
In response to Reply # 4

Absolutely Johnson fucking with us. It worked too.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43715 posts
Fri Dec-23-22 06:33 PM

8. "I just kept doing mental gymnastics because of it. "
In response to Reply # 5

What a fun little trick.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86639 posts
Thu Dec-01-22 02:13 PM

6. "It's fun. Glad movies like this are getting made."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not going to pretend I like these as much as I like Johnson's first four movies, but the Detective Comedies Very Much For Online People genre is a pretty fun niche. (Way better than the Branagh Poirots, for instance.)

Think these would play on TNT forever back in the day-- so Netflix honestly is a pretty good home for them. They'd be good to watch paying attention or good to just have on in the background.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Ryan M
43715 posts
Fri Dec-23-22 06:32 PM

7. "A straight up fun ass ride. "
In response to Reply # 0

Great performances all around. Edward Norton was meant for a Rian Johnson flick.

Just way too much fun. It knows what it is and loves it.

Janelle Monae…cmon. She’s so damn talented.

17x NBA Champions

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
84997 posts
Sat Dec-24-22 12:27 AM

9. "first 2/3 as good as KO. final act fell a little flat for me"
In response to Reply # 0

still good and im in for a 3rd one. Daniel Craig Foghorn Leghorn is a riot

<--- Big Baller World Order

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13927 posts
Sat Dec-24-22 12:53 PM

10. "This was really good and a lot of fun"
In response to Reply # 0

I actually enjoyed it more than the first one.

I hope they keep putting these out. 2 for 2 now.

navajo joe
6564 posts
Sun Dec-25-22 12:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "It just hit me on rewatch that when Miles first comes to Glass Onion"
In response to Reply # 0

He's got the exact same outfit/hair as Tom Cruise in Magnolia

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49333 posts
Sun Dec-25-22 11:44 AM

12. "Such a great alternative to the SuperHero Movies. "
In response to Reply # 0

Big Cast Fun Movie that doesn't include SuperHeros.

I guess that Amsterdam and Babylon were trying to do the same thing.

I am not sure I like it more than the first one, I think the plot was a little tighter in the original, but it still was a lot of fun.

And I can't think of a more timely movie. Like how did Rian know we would be hating ELon Musk when he started this in 2020?!?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

navajo joe
6564 posts
Sun Dec-25-22 02:41 PM

13. "I mean, I don't know if Johnson knew people would hate him..."
In response to Reply # 12

but considering:

-Hyperloop debacle 2017
-Infamous Rogan episode 2018
-The Thai Cave debacle was 2018
-Cyber truck announcement debacle 2019
-The report that got the company sued came out in 2020
-He's been attacking reporters who published stories critical of him and his business like Linette Lopez since at least 2018

You don't need to be Benoit Blanc to see him as an immoral moron who'd fooled a lot of people into thinking he was some forward-thinking genius and know it'd be a matter of time before that'd be revealed

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44256 posts
Tue Dec-27-22 12:52 PM

16. "Ok, so I'm not crazy"
In response to Reply # 12

When I mentioned the Elon comparison to the person I saw it with they were like. "I don't see it."

I was like, even the name sounds similar!

SMH

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Mon Dec-26-22 10:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "I enjoyed this quite a bit"
In response to Reply # 0

Rian can make as many of these as they like. I think it could have done a longer run in the theaters, but as long as they find a way to fund these I'll see 'em.

I liked it a bit more than Death On The Nile, and I liked that quite a bit. My wife is a Agatha Christie fan and enjoys both franchises.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Ryan M
43715 posts
Mon Dec-26-22 11:50 PM

15. "The scene in the living area with the paintings…"
In response to Reply # 0

Where the security glass keeps shutting on the Mona Lisa…

Did it give anyone else Boogie Nights/Jessie’s Girl scene vibes?

17x NBA Champions

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44256 posts
Tue Dec-27-22 12:54 PM

17. "I really enjoyed this."
In response to Reply # 0

Fun,and funny.

Visible cariacutures of people we know currently.

Daniel Craig killed it.
Monae is just a classic beauty - jeez that woman fine.

I hope he makes 9 more of these. If we can have 5011 Fast & Furiouses

we can definitely handle more of these fun little smart films.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Tue Dec-27-22 01:05 PM

18. "On top of what other folks are saying, the set designs were top tier."
In response to Reply # 0

In certain scenes of the movie, the set design was almost an added character. Very impressive level of detail went into some of the set pieces I'd have to imagine.

Seeing as this is Netflix property, odds are slim to nil this will drop on blu-ray, correct? Reasons I ask are 1) I want to show support for this movie by plunking down some dollars as I did pirate this and 2) I'm still skittish on going to movie theaters because of COVID, so odds are slim to nil I'll see this in a movie theater when this opens up for a wider theatrical release. I was tempted to go see this when the limited theatrical run took places a few weeks ago, but more theaters were packed when I looked to buy tickets online. Sitting in a fully packed theater would unnerve me to no end.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744889 Previous topic | Next topic