Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744889

Subject: "Glass Onion. A Knives Out Mystery (Rian Johnson, 2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8304 posts
Mon Jun-13-22 12:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Glass Onion. A Knives Out Mystery (Rian Johnson, 2022)"

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1536379230526722049?s=19

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's better than KNIVES OUT!
Nov 21st 2022
Really loved this movie. A whole lot of fun (some SPOILERS)
Nov 24th 2022
If I have a gripe it's that it takes a bit too long in setting everythin...
Nov 25th 2022
re: small spoiler
Nov 30th 2022
      lol I noticed that bump as well.
Dec 01st 2022
It's fun. Glad movies like this are getting made.
Dec 01st 2022

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8304 posts
Mon Nov-21-22 03:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's better than KNIVES OUT!"
In response to Reply # 0

Rian pulled off a big task. GLASS ONION is miles better than KNIVES OUT. And the first one is fantastic!

Go in as cold as possible.

Rian Johnson has an uphill battle for the third one that I don't envy. Seeing this again Friday with a sold out audience and I'm hyped!

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44114 posts
Thu Nov-24-22 12:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Really loved this movie. A whole lot of fun (some SPOILERS)"
In response to Reply # 0

Took the nephews to see it yesterday and they also loved it.

I agree that this is better than Knives Out, which I also thoroughly enjoyed. This film hits the ground running and doesn't stop, as things are tremendously interesting and funny as hell.

Craig was fantastic as usual, and seems to be having a blast playing the character. I'd be happy to see him play Benoit Blanc for a long as he wants.

This really should be a star-making performance for Jaenelle Monae. She's absolutely great, playing a character that could have been ridiculous in all of the wrong ways. She hits all of the right serious and comedic notes, and never goes over the top. I could watch her play drunk for an entire film.

Norton, Bautista, Hahn, Hudson, and Odom are all entertaining. They serve as great send-ups of the vapidness of the wealthy. In general, this film is great at mocking the cult of personality for billionaires, men's rights activists, and celebrities who complain about "getting cancelled."

And, as a bonus, there are a lot of great cameos. Thoroughly unexpected ones.

So, yeah, one of the best movies I've seen this year, and I'll happily watch it again. In the theater or on Netflix.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6374 posts
Fri Nov-25-22 08:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "If I have a gripe it's that it takes a bit too long in setting everythin..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-25-22 08:29 AM by navajo joe

BUT the movie proceeds to pay EVERYTHING off with the exception of one small spoiler that's funny in hindsight because you expect it to be something but it's not at all which was actually a good choice. It feels the length more than the first film but it also is every bit as economical if not moreso.

I also find the sun-bleached Mediterranean exteriors so hard to pull off in a way that's visually interesting (see also: this season of The White Lotus. Succession did it the best of the three). But that's just a personal thing.

That said, I'm really glad I saw this in a theater. This is definitely an audience movie and I'll probably try to see it again in theaters if I can.

Janelle Monae is so good and you could tell me that film was created solely to capture her image and I'd believe you. She's just has "it" and is so so good here she could/should be the biggest movie star in the world.

I derive a lot of joy out of seeing people being truly happy and I think a large part of why I love these movies especially this one is because of how much I enjoy Daniel Craig just having the time of his life.

I can say without a doubt this is the best Noah Segan cameo in a Rian Johnson film.

I don't quite know if on a whole it's better than the original yet but it's right there and I'm 110% in for another.

"Regardless if you listen to me, in the end we'll see."
-Cee-Lo

"You’ve had 4 years of Trump University and are still failing the final exam smh"
-Bree Newsome Bass

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
12979 posts
Wed Nov-30-22 02:49 PM

4. "re: small spoiler"
In response to Reply # 3

>BUT the movie proceeds to pay EVERYTHING off with the
>exception of one small spoiler that's funny in hindsight
>because you expect it to be something but it's not at all
>which was actually a good choice.

Are you referring to the random dude who is on the island who pops in several times throughout the movie? Norton's character mentions during the dinner that he placed clues around the island, some valuable, some red herrings, so at the end of the movie I took it as a meta comment on the movie itself. I noticed a few other red herrings as well. Batista's character bumps into someone when he turns around and in hindsight you figure "ah, that's where he got his gun stolen" but when they replay the scene later in the movie the gun is still in his holster.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
85807 posts
Thu Dec-01-22 02:11 PM

5. "lol I noticed that bump as well."
In response to Reply # 4

Absolutely Johnson fucking with us. It worked too.

For beer lovers: http://thebeertravelguide.com
For movie lovers: http://russellhainline.com

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
85807 posts
Thu Dec-01-22 02:13 PM

6. "It's fun. Glad movies like this are getting made."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not going to pretend I like these as much as I like Johnson's first four movies, but the Detective Comedies Very Much For Online People genre is a pretty fun niche. (Way better than the Branagh Poirots, for instance.)

Think these would play on TNT forever back in the day-- so Netflix honestly is a pretty good home for them. They'd be good to watch paying attention or good to just have on in the background.

For beer lovers: http://thebeertravelguide.com
For movie lovers: http://russellhainline.com

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744889 Previous topic | Next topic