Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744816

Subject: "Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
18917 posts
Mon Jun-06-22 10:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (2022)"

I'm 2 episodes into this and it does seem like a 'real' Start Trek series and not a wild off shoot.

Sure, it's a prequel and a lot of the Star Trek crew are on board including Spock, Nurse Chapel and Uhura. And James T. Kirk's BROTHER???

The pilot was a little heavy on the Discovery episode "Through the Valley of Shadows" but I can understand why. Those events take place 10 years in the future so they can do a bunch of seasons before he ends up in the the wheelchair.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I like it. I think ive seen the 1st 4 and so far so good
Jun 06th 2022
Kinda hit-and-miss so far, but that's what makes it great.
Jun 09th 2022
Enterprise kinda cracked the code when nobody was paying attention
Jun 10th 2022
Season 2 was fantastic! Loved everything about it
Aug 20th 2023
I LOVE this show!!!!!
Aug 21st 2023

calminvasion
Charter member
12560 posts
Mon Jun-06-22 11:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I like it. I think ive seen the 1st 4 and so far so good"
In response to Reply # 0

Like you said, it's very Trek in a way the recent others aren't.

Seems episodic vs. big season long arc. Please keep it that way.

I also f'ks with the African doctor

stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12692 posts
Thu Jun-09-22 03:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Kinda hit-and-miss so far, but that's what makes it great."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-09-22 04:15 PM by stravinskian

The first episode was stupendous. Definitely the best pilot of any star trek series.

The latest episode, "Lift us to where suffering cannot reach" (apart from being kind of a derivative premise) was as good an episode of Star Trek as we've had in any series. (I can't see it on the same level as, say, "The Inner Light", but I wouldn't find it weird if someone did.)

Every episode in between has been forgettable. I mean, literally: I remember almost nothing about these episodes. There was some dumb thing about Katras last week. I don't know how many Khan references there've been, because I make a point of ignoring every Khan reference they throw at us. That security officer and I are not gonna get along. But none of that means they can't have great stories when they have great ideas.

The refocusing on episodic storytelling is the best thing that's happened to star trek in years. When a whole season is built on a single story, then that story is all we get. And if that story isn't good enough to fill ten hours of TV (nothing this side of Breaking Bad or Twin Peaks is), then the whole thing starts to feel uneven. I've adored both seasons of Picard so far, but I can't pretend the writing didn't get lazy and sloppy, especially in the later half of season 2.

DS9 was "my" Star Trek series, and I remember how exciting it was when they built those long story arcs. Sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't. And Voyager (for all is flaws) also kept a good balance of long arcs and self-contained stories. But nowadays I don't rewatch either series, largely because I can't muster any excitement over another minor story about Bajoran politics or the Borg queen.

Enterprise (the most underrated star trek show) tried to return to episodic storytelling but switched back when they were losing ground in ratings and buzz to Battlestar Galactica. (Supposedly Ron Moore's vision of what Voyager was supposed to be -- but I definitely don't care to watch BSG again...)

Nowadays almost no major drama series use an episodic format. But star trek gets monotonous if there's just one story. I hope the writers on Discovery take notice. Somehow, even though I consider two thirds of the episodes so far to have been duds, I'm still looking forward to every episode. It's kinda like the first seasons of the great Star Trek series.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52620 posts
Fri Jun-10-22 04:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Enterprise kinda cracked the code when nobody was paying attention"
In response to Reply # 2

>Enterprise (the most underrated star trek show) tried to
>return to episodic storytelling but switched back when they
>were losing ground in ratings and buzz to Battlestar
>Galactica. (Supposedly Ron Moore's vision of what Voyager was
>supposed to be -- but I definitely don't care to watch BSG
>again...)

They had a nice little 3 episode cadence going that had lots of mini archs. It kept things interesting while still giving some bigger stories longer to develop. I think Discovery should go this route and Strange New World's should keep leaning on being episodic.

---
Love,
Nopayne

calminvasion
Charter member
12560 posts
Sun Aug-20-23 01:49 PM

4. "Season 2 was fantastic! Loved everything about it"
In response to Reply # 0

Well almost everything. I do think the facts it’s a direct prequel to TOS forces their hands in terms of Timeline and also the need to pull in those characters. Like do we really need to meet Scotty? Do we need to shoehorn in Kirk? That’s said, I’d still work even if it feels really unnecessary. I actually like the guy playing young Kirk even if he’s his own man.

I actually, in my own rankings, already have this at #3 all time after TNG & DS9. Personal opinion obviously, but man, I’m really riding with this show.

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Mon Aug-21-23 03:07 PM

5. "I LOVE this show!!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I think its my second fav Trek after Next Gen!

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744816 Previous topic | Next topic