Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744215

Subject: "Barry, season 3" Previous topic | Next topic
stravinskian
Member since Feb 24th 2003
12698 posts
Sun Apr-24-22 08:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Barry, season 3"

Starts tonight.

It's been so long I'd kinda forgotten how great it is. And according to what little I've seen of the reviews it's as good as ever.

It's as funny as BCS is profound, and it's as profound as BCS is funny. I don't know which show I'll look forward to more every week.

I'm rewatching season 2 to catch up. I still think S2E5 is the funniest episode of television I've ever seen.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yep, it's like it never left.
Apr 25th 2022
i was late to this
Apr 26th 2022
Man I never thought Bill Hader would be LEGIT scary
May 02nd 2022
That was surprising.
May 02nd 2022
      I think S2 climax was a real, "damn, I am what I am" moment
May 02nd 2022
           He says "youknow..." every 3 words lol
May 02nd 2022
           He did it a lot back on his Maron interview too
May 02nd 2022
           I gotta go back n start that podcast. Hader is a really talented directo...
Jun 15th 2022
Thank you for helping me right my wrongs, Mr. Manity.
May 09th 2022
man, when this show pops its something
May 29th 2022
just really interesting in terms of craft, too
May 30th 2022
Truly stellar
May 30th 2022
Hank's reaction when that hippy dude
Jun 03rd 2022
$uddenly$eymour1985
Jun 03rd 2022
starting to hit its stride
Jun 05th 2022
I wish these episodes were longer
Jun 06th 2022
I'm constantly shocked when they're over
Jun 07th 2022
WOW
Jun 12th 2022
They could end the show here and I wouldn’t complain.
Jun 12th 2022
yeah I had the same thought
Jun 12th 2022
Just amazing.
Jun 13th 2022
the 3 scenes (spoilers)
Jun 13th 2022
      rewatched
Jun 13th 2022
Barry Made his choice.
Jun 13th 2022
yeah, plus
Jun 14th 2022
      It's Barry's cycle though
Jun 15th 2022
           was interesting to hear Hader say on the pod that he doesn't *like*
Jun 15th 2022
                I keep forgetting that I'm not supposed to like him either.
Jun 15th 2022
                which pod?
Jun 15th 2022
                     Prestige TV on the Ringer
Jun 15th 2022
                          Its a good pod
Jun 16th 2022
                               rewatchables is so frustrating though, man
Jun 16th 2022
                                    Same
Jun 17th 2022
nearly every single scene was intense
Jun 17th 2022
The Atlantic (SWIPE) (S3 Spoilers)
Jun 16th 2022

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Apr-25-22 04:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Yep, it's like it never left."
In response to Reply # 0

One thing I'm always in awe of as somebody who's never been involved in film production at any level is the sort of scene like Sarah Goldberg's in the middle of this episode where she flips immediately from dominating director to encouraging scene partner to concerned mother all in about 60 seconds. It always leaves me thinking, "Yea, you do have to be kind of nuts to be a really good actor".

On another Better Call Saul tip, last season Sally Reed crept into Rhea Seehorn territory for me where I'd never seen her in anything before and am now wondering why she doesn't seem to be getting cast in anything cool or interesting movie wise.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Tue Apr-26-22 09:24 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i was late to this"
In response to Reply # 0

i watched both seasons in the past 6 months. i was hesitant because based on the cover picture and description i didnt know how it could be good. hbo max is just releasing new seasons of all their shows at the same time huh. i guess it's time to resubscribe.

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon May-02-22 06:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Man I never thought Bill Hader would be LEGIT scary"
In response to Reply # 0

But whoa

~~~~~~~~~

stravinskian
12698 posts
Mon May-02-22 07:02 PM

4. "That was surprising."
In response to Reply # 3

I was a little distracted as I watched this episode, so I'll have to rewatch. But yeah, they've really surprised me with his recent direction. I think they said at the end of the first season that they intentionally set themselves up with an unresolvable climax to force themselves to be creative with season 2. I guess they did the same from S2 to S3.

I must admit, I don't entirely get why he's back to the hitman work this season. Is it just that he gave up that big audition in season 2 and now he needs a better day job to pay the bills than lululemon?

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon May-02-22 07:16 PM

5. "I think S2 climax was a real, "damn, I am what I am" moment"
In response to Reply # 4
Mon May-02-22 07:17 PM by Nodima

But he so badly DOESN'T want to be that guy anymore, hence how manic and broken he is in these first two episodes.

Interestingly, Hader is doing post episode breakdowns with Sean Fennessey on The Ringer's Prestige TV podcast feed and he freely let it be known during the first episode that they had enough time between seasons that a decent amount of season 4 is ready for a writer's room final pass already so whatever this season is isn't a climax for his story.

This episode was also really broadly funny (the dogs especially) so I can't see this show ending on as dark a note as Breaking Bad did but it doesn't necessarily feel like Barry is gonna have the happiest ending either.

Hader is also such a true crime/noir nerd that a small part of me wouldn't be surprised if this show eventually became about everybody BUT Barry and Hader went fully behind the camera somehow.

~~~~~~~~~

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon May-02-22 07:32 PM

6. "He says "youknow..." every 3 words lol"
In response to Reply # 5

i loved him on the Taxi Driver rewatchables episode. I have no idea if he was doing that then, or if it's just a nervous reaction to talking about his own shit.

i still enjoy hearing him tho

>Interestingly, Hader is doing post episode breakdowns with
>Sean Fennessey on The Ringer's Prestige TV podcast feed

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon May-02-22 08:27 PM

7. "He did it a lot back on his Maron interview too"
In response to Reply # 6

It's definitely his tic when thinking through a sentence, the only time he doesn't do it is when he's talking about a movie he loves or playing a character lol

~~~~~~~~~

Sponge
Charter member
6674 posts
Wed Jun-15-22 08:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
28. "I gotta go back n start that podcast. Hader is a really talented directo..."
In response to Reply # 5

Shit, kinda masterful, actually lol. I wanna hear him talk about filmmaking. You mentioned he's into crime/noir and I thought of Miller's Crossing when Ronny was rocking the nunchucks lol.

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon May-09-22 03:18 AM

8. "Thank you for helping me right my wrongs, Mr. Manity."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-09-22 03:18 AM by Nodima

Please, call me Hugh.

!!!

The subtext of this episode was so damn dark, but man was it hilarious on the top layer.

I knew Elsie Fisher couldn't have been cast just to play a budding child actor either, I'm really interested to see how her role evolves in the coming weeks.

A lot of elements of this show are getting blurry in a way Better Call Saul started to as it found its groove and I am very here for it.

~~~~~~~~~

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Sun May-29-22 11:57 PM

9. "man, when this show pops its something "
In response to Reply # 0

what a banger

Nodima
15297 posts
Mon May-30-22 05:02 AM

10. "just really interesting in terms of craft, too"
In response to Reply # 9

First off, Mitch Beignet is an awesome fucking character. I loved the consistency of the shot, the lighting, the acting, the delivery, the tone of the sentence structure...and then on top of that, dude was ridiculously funny when bringing some longtime service industry conversations to the scenes. There is that guy in every restaurant scene worth its shit across the country and he's always fascinating despite coming off simple to anyone who doesn't get he's been dealing with desperate people (service or entertainment) for a long time and found his peace navigating those circles without ever getting as invested as the rest of us.

Beyond that, from one angle this could've been a new level of blockbuster action for a TV show...but because it's a comedy, and the show is so interested in a super dry yet still exaggerated sense of humor, all that action is shot at such a remove (and with such sudden punchlines) that this was one of the fastest episodes of television I can remember since season 3 or 4 of Breaking Bad which was still a half hour longer. Still, as that highway sequence opened up I was immediately reminded of a couple early set piece missions in Grand Theft Auto V as well as, of course, Matrix Reloaded. It was a really interesting feeling to simultaneously get this rush of excitement while not expecting much to come of it...only to get both shocking stunt shots AND big laughs.

This season has been great and I'd love to see other shows take some pulls from it. Then again, just because I said it already it still feels like the only show with Breaking Bad DNA (granted: avoided Ozark BECAUSE it was initially compared to BB, so...maybe I'm the dummy) is Better Call Saul, and plenty of the other modern, seemingly influential TV seasons/shows don't have long family trees yet so...I just like to savor this.

One of the better things about an episode of Barry is that I can watch it on my own the night it debuts, then have a watch party with a couple friends the day after and still enjoy it just as much as some gags hit harder and I notice other things for the first time.

~~~~~~~~~

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Mon May-30-22 11:41 PM

11. "Truly stellar"
In response to Reply # 9

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Fri Jun-03-22 12:04 PM

12. "Hank's reaction when that hippy dude"
In response to Reply # 0

wants to into business with him. that had me laughing hard.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Robert
Charter member
4112 posts
Fri Jun-03-22 06:55 PM

13. "$uddenly$eymour1985"
In response to Reply # 12

that's so fucking funny

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Sun Jun-05-22 10:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "starting to hit its stride "
In response to Reply # 0

last 2 eps were fire.

(sally is quietly killing it this season for me. when she flipped the switch and jumped into the monologue while on set after that long no cut shot was incredible. losing her shit with ol girl. she going home with somethin (c) this year)

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Mon Jun-06-22 07:53 AM

15. "I wish these episodes were longer"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't say that much about TV shows but damn.

Nodima
15297 posts
Tue Jun-07-22 01:07 AM

16. "I'm constantly shocked when they're over"
In response to Reply # 15

But I also kinda love for them that they don't have to make nine or ten hours of television. As I've listened to that recap pod with Hader after each episode it seems really clear to me that even these half hours are significantly altered by re-shoots in post production - and sometimes it's been really hard for them to even figure out why Barry is involved in some of these episodes, which longer episodes might just get convoluted?

~~~~~~~~~

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Sun Jun-12-22 11:01 PM

17. "WOW"
In response to Reply # 0

don't even know what to say.

this show is next level

Innocent Criminal
Member since May 03rd 2003
14585 posts
Sun Jun-12-22 11:29 PM

18. "They could end the show here and I wouldn’t complain. "
In response to Reply # 17

What a finale.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Sun Jun-12-22 11:52 PM

19. "yeah I had the same thought "
In response to Reply # 18

felt like a series finale without even trying

stravinskian
12698 posts
Mon Jun-13-22 09:41 AM

20. "Just amazing."
Mon Jun-13-22 09:58 AM by stravinskian

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon Jun-13-22 11:01 AM

21. "the 3 scenes (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 20

really 4 if you want to count Barry and Albert, all could have been the the climax in a single episode

the Sally scene that we've seen play out a hundred times, where you're pretty much waiting for Barry come to off camera and rescue her... until she/we realize this isn't happening, so you accept Sally is gonna die... ok we've seen this a couple times, until she steps up and stabs dude... ok i've seen this maybe, but i've NEVER seen someone stabbed in that way, then the comedy of him investigating his injury and looking for his eye, the heaviness of Sally going off, Barry's reaction... fucking amazing.

The NoHo hank thing where we only hear what i assume is a tiger in the next cell, only playing out audibly with Hank reacting. the aftermath with Cristobal's cartel style conversion therapy.. wasn't sure what was going on at the very end. Hank looks up like we thought he was getting stabbed but they cut to the next scene. was it just Cristobal's possible lack of erection that shook him? lol

The ending somehow should have been an obvious set up but i didn't fall for this at all. i figured something was gonna go sideways because Bnny Colvin was clearly not an easy mark, but damn i didn't see that coming.

I have to go back and watch for little stuff. I can't believe they put all this in 30 minutes.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Mon Jun-13-22 01:39 PM

22. "rewatched"
In response to Reply # 21

at first i thought dude was asking where his eye was but he was saying what did you do to my eye

i never want to see that coussineu, bunny colvin (sorry forgot his name in this) interrogation scene again. it's so good but sooo uncomfortable.

conversion dancer running back to play piano and sing was so fucking funny and random.

rewtching the Hank/Cristobal moment just seems Hank's look was knowing things will never be the same. even being who they are there was an innocence to their relationship that they'll never get back

that close up Sally is haunting.

Barry's not a 'good guy' but he stepped up in differing ways to help both Sally and Gene. Sally left town and Gene gave him up. Just like he seemed fond of his boy's wife who poisoned him last week. He literally has no one. No idea how this plays out but somehow i see him re-uniting with Fuches.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52627 posts
Mon Jun-13-22 05:38 PM

23. "Barry Made his choice."

As his old squad mate told him, it's not too late. He choose to stop now and get some form of redemption. Instead he chose to help out Gene and got sucked right back into his old ways.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Tue Jun-14-22 01:18 PM

24. "yeah, plus"
In response to Reply # 23

the showing up to talk Gene down part was admirable in a sense. Especially right after his involvement with Sally resulted in her killing someone, but once Gene told him the deal he had the option to walk away and skip town, but he chose to handle things the way he handles things. Even if they busted him right then, there was still a possibility they didn't have evidence to take him down. Now at the very least they have him dead to rights on attempted murder.

>As his old squad mate told him, it's not too late. He choose
>to stop now and get some form of redemption. Instead he chose
>to help out Gene and got sucked right back into his old ways.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Wed Jun-15-22 10:32 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "It's Barry's cycle though"
In response to Reply # 24

Think about it, Albert, Fuches, Sally, and Gene. All people he loved and when someone happens to someone he loves or they are in Danger, Barry goes full killer. I don't think he had an option to walk away.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Wed Jun-15-22 03:15 PM

26. "was interesting to hear Hader say on the pod that he doesn't *like*"
In response to Reply # 25

...Barry

I'm not sure what I would have expected him to say, but i didn't expect him to flat out say he's never liked him.

plus he's such a different type of character, his utter brokenness is somewhat what they're failing so hard to do with EZ on the mayans.

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52627 posts
Wed Jun-15-22 03:59 PM

27. "I keep forgetting that I'm not supposed to like him either."
In response to Reply # 26

I go into every season remembering him as Larry David level unlikeable only to have a rude awakening when he starts taking people out left and right.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Wed Jun-15-22 08:39 PM

29. "which pod?"
In response to Reply # 26

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Wed Jun-15-22 09:24 PM

30. "Prestige TV on the Ringer"
In response to Reply # 29

they were doing the show after each episode with Hader as the guest

JiggysMyDayJob
5178 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 09:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
31. "Its a good pod"
In response to Reply # 30

I didn't listen to Prestige before they started doing Barry, but now I've gone back and I enjoy it. Still isn't better than The Rewatchables though.

@SituationPodemy

Mynoriti
Charter member
38815 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 10:44 AM

32. "rewatchables is so frustrating though, man"
In response to Reply # 31

at one point i went a good 3 months of checking it, seeing the title, and pfft... next week.

but i love when i'm pleased with the selection lol

JiggysMyDayJob
5178 posts
Fri Jun-17-22 10:48 PM

35. "Same"
In response to Reply # 32

February was rough, not a single film I wanted to hear them talk about. It's at its best when they do action, sports or hood films.

I will say the Michael Mann Heat episode was a huge disappointment, it felt like the epitome of "Never meet your heroes.".

@SituationPodemy

Deebot
Member since Oct 21st 2004
26762 posts
Fri Jun-17-22 10:27 PM

34. "nearly every single scene was intense"

Haven't seen a show go balls to the wall to this extent in quite awhile.

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Thu Jun-16-22 11:43 AM

33. "The Atlantic (SWIPE) (S3 Spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jun-16-22 11:44 AM by wrecknoble

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2022/06/barry-season-3-hbo-finale-review/661284/

Barry Isn’t a Comedy Anymore. But It’s Become an Even Better Show.

Season 3 of Bill Hader’s HBO series about a listless hitman, which ended Sunday, marked a stark shift toward the show’s darker impulses.

By Hannah Giorgis

This article contains spoilers through the finale of Barry, Season 3.

The first murder on Sunday night’s devastating Season 3 finale of Barry, the HBO series about a listless hitman, happens silently. Barry (played by Bill Hader) watches in horror from outside a makeshift sound stage as Sally (Sarah Goldberg), his former acting classmate and ex-girlfriend, bludgeons a man who tries to choke her after she gets in the way of his attempt to kill Barry. It’s a riveting scene, one that wordlessly telegraphs the extent to which Barry has failed at protecting those around him—not from outside threats but from the carnage wrought by Barry himself.

For a dark comedy, this scene is also notably free of anything resembling jokes. The show’s first two seasons found consistent humor in the juxtaposition of Barry’s miserable life as a low-rent assassin with the campy acting classes he stumbled into while on assignment. Although Barry never took murder lightly, per se, the show mined plenty of comedy from the ensemble surrounding its sullen protagonist, as Barry strained to pantomime the sunniness around him. But Season 3 has marked a stark shift toward the show’s darker impulses, as well as a move away from leaning on Barry to be its emotional center. That shift has made Barry a better show—and a more interesting one than it would’ve been if it had stuck to its hitman-with-a-heart conceit.

Hader’s Barry has long embodied the contradictions in the phrase dark comedy: He’s in turns wooden and effortfully chipper, droll and earnest. In Seasons 1 and 2, his attempts to fit in among plucky Millennial thespians showcased Hader’s impressive deadpan and elastic face. Similarly zany were his dealings with the Chechen mob and overzealous fellow ex-Marines, one of whom cheerfully watches pornography on his living-room TV in full view of visitors. Meanwhile, Barry could also be frighteningly blank, a cold executioner and manipulator whose full capacity for violence we were only beginning to understand.

But as the show progressed, that blankness could sometimes feel so prominent that it left little room for other characters’ inner lives. For the first two seasons, Sally, his acting classmate turned girlfriend, mostly personified the vapid, self-absorbed Hollywood culture that initially seemed so foreign to Barry. NoHo Hank (Anthony Carrigan) was the show’s most reliable comic vehicle as a quirky Chechen crime boss. Barry’s erstwhile acting mentor, Gene Cousineau (Henry Winkler), began the series as an avuncular coach overcompensating for his own stalled career.

In Season 3, the show brings the lives of these supporting characters—and the pain they feel in their relationships with Barry—into sharp focus. By doubling down on its protagonist’s depravity and stripping him of any boyishly charming veneer, the series stops searching for the vulnerability beneath his facade and commits to focusing on Barry’s dangerousness. It’s the strongest season yet for Hader’s acting, which veers between lupine freneticism and existential torpor. But it also takes an unusual risk: It makes us stop empathizing with its protagonist almost entirely. By the time the widow of one victim tries poisoning Barry, it’s hard not to wish that she’ll succeed (if only because that might make for the first documented case of death by beignet).

Barry’s steep descent doesn’t just render him incapable of redemption. It also seeps into the lives of all the people he’s closest to, and all the loved ones of his victims. The show wisely deepens the story lines of its supporting characters, all of whom suffer the consequences of Barry’s violence—or enable it.

Sally begins the season on a high: Joplin, the series she created and stars in, earns rave reviews (“We got a 98 percent on Rotten Tomatoes!” she shouts in disbelief at the show’s premiere). But as her career prospects grow dimmer, her lack of self-awareness turns into something more sinister and complex. A young actor in Joplin witnesses Barry verbally assaulting Sally on set and expresses her concern to Sally the night of the premiere. Standing outside the gilded venue, Sally breaks up with Barry. From then on, the series shows the residual impact that Barry’s anger and vengefulness have on Sally’s life. She herself slowly grows more comfortable with violence as the season progresses, whether it’s against people in the industry she thinks have wronged her or more deserving targets. In the end, she descends in an almost Lady Macbeth–like spiral that culminates in her fleeing Los Angeles after brutally murdering the man who tries to choke her to death. It feels like a callback to an abuse scene that Sally had acted out in class with Barry back in Season 1, but her former helplessness has been replaced by a menacing new focus and agency.

Meanwhile, Season 3 finds NoHo Hank in the throes of an intense and compelling love story. In one of the season’s first reminders that violence ripples out far beyond its intended targets, a bomb nearly kills NoHo’s lover, his former Bolivian mob rival, Cristobal Sifuentes (Michael Irby), alongside the targets Hank had actually hired Barry to kill. When NoHo sees the state Cristobal is in, he panics and then immediately draws him into a protective embrace. His relationship with Cristobal is sweet and funny—they’re saved as “Luke” and “Lorelai” in each other’s phone—but it’s also treated with real gravity.

Then there’s Gene, whose arc drives much of Season 3. At one point, a manic Barry threatens Gene and his family. Immediately afterward, Barry professes his love to Gene and insists that Gene do the same, the still-fresh promise of violence hanging in the air. The close-up on Winkler’s face in this moment is gutting; his fear fills the frame. By the season’s end, it’s clear that Gene’s forgiveness is what Barry wants more than anything, and Gene ultimately refuses to give it to him. In a pivotal moment in the finale, Winkler’s face, again seen up close, manages to telegraph not just his own fear but Barry’s betrayal, too. Here, it’s Gene who holds the power—and emotionally carries the show. It’s a profound reversal for a season focused less on spotlighting its protagonist than on exploring, with meticulous attention, the effect his brutality has on those around him.

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744215 Previous topic | Next topic