Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744024

Subject: "Can we talk about Black TV Comedies?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Sat Apr-09-22 04:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can we talk about Black TV Comedies?"

Because they are lightweight having a moment.

To me the gold standards are Atlanta and Insecure. They've inspired shoes like Harlem (anything else?), But no one has been able to reproduce that sort of prestige black TV Comedies IMHOP.

However, the success of Abbot Elementary is awesome to see. A black mainstream comedy for everyone. Happy for the success of Quinta. Seems like such a good spirit and it comes through in the show. Also her "he got money" videos were hilarious so it's great to see the come up.

Southside had a dope second season. First season had a strong beginning and had a hard time towards the end. I love that it's becoming the Black Simpsons with a big cast and funny recurring characters.

Black Girl Sketch got some heat occasionally but more often don't. But it might not be made for me though.

But the show i really want to talk about, the lowkey reason I made this post, is to talk about the Bust Down on peacock. Yo, that show is nuts. Like they doing jokes I didn't think you could do in 2022. It's not anti-woke, it's post woke because they just don't seem to give AF and they not doing jokes purposely trying to rile up fokks. That being said, I'm shocked Lorne Michaels put his name on it.

I'm trying to figure out my favorite character. I can't figure out if Chris Redd is the funniest mofo ever or if he is too much, over the top.

Anyway, any shows I forgot to mention?

I figure it's better to have one post about a bunch a shows in the same vein then each show having only a couple of post.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Blackish gotta be in the mix somewhere
Apr 09th 2022
Blackish def needs its props
Apr 09th 2022
      My oversight. Black-ish is Hall of Fame for Black Comedies
Apr 11th 2022
           nah
Apr 11th 2022
                perhaps you're not appreciating its era of existence
Apr 12th 2022
                     ^^^^
Apr 14th 2022
                     RE: perhaps you're not appreciating its era of existence
Apr 14th 2022
                          i may not have been as clear
Apr 14th 2022
                               i hear you
Apr 15th 2022
                                    My point is we aren't the judges if Black-ish because we are old.
Apr 20th 2022
                                         right. impossible to analyze and properly place in real time
Apr 22nd 2022
                                              Black-ish is a critique of the Cosby Show's Black Exceptionalism
Apr 22nd 2022
Also shit like White Famous, Woke, #blackaf, Flatbush Misdemeanors
Apr 11th 2022
Since you didn't specify sitcoms, I'll mention The Eric Andre Show.
Apr 11th 2022
yea bust down is wild
Apr 11th 2022
Just got through the Kubby episode of Woke.
Apr 13th 2022
The history of this show is crazy.
Apr 14th 2022
I'm just glad we're progressing past the laugh track.
Apr 15th 2022
Nah they moved the laugh tracks to all these Daily Show clones now
Apr 20th 2022
Abott Elementary
Nov 08th 2022

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Sat Apr-09-22 06:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Blackish gotta be in the mix somewhere"
In response to Reply # 0

I rarely watch sitcoms cause the majority of them are corny but I watched Blackish. That’s gotta be in the mix somewhere. That Damn Michael Che needs a shoutout.

I didn’t watch the Blackish spin offs and I didn’t watch Keenan’s sitcom but I’m sure they have a place somewhere.

It’s hard to top the 90s era just due to the sheer amount of content nowadays but it might be the closest we’ll get to recreating it.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85054 posts
Sat Apr-09-22 10:17 PM

2. "Blackish def needs its props"
In response to Reply # 1

for about 3 or 4 seasons it was the shit. it started eating itself eventually like all long family sitcoms do but they brought the heat for a while

<--- Big Baller World Order

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 03:29 PM

4. "My oversight. Black-ish is Hall of Fame for Black Comedies"
In response to Reply # 2

I think it sits up there with Cosby Show, Different World, Good Times, Jeffersons, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 04:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "nah "
In response to Reply # 4

it was good but it dont have the recallable classics(episodes, lines) or rewatchability (imo) like the shows you named

Beamer6178
Member since Jan 09th 2006
6379 posts
Tue Apr-12-22 02:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "perhaps you're not appreciating its era of existence"
In response to Reply # 6
Tue Apr-12-22 02:44 PM by Beamer6178

>it was good but it dont have the recallable
>classics(episodes, lines) or rewatchability (imo) like the
>shows you named
>
>
the shows named came out before streaming, or the internet for that matter, was a thing. Black-ish has had to exist during the internet of television, with distraction at an all time high and focus correspondingly low.

it is FOR the culture, undeniably, and has tackled issues with greater depth and more regularity than any of its forebears. It goes in the Pantheon, unquestionably.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Thu Apr-14-22 02:48 PM

10. "^^^^"
In response to Reply # 8

I mean its in syndication run like Cosby show was in its prime. It's always on tv. In fact, I never saw it first run. I discovered it in syndication with my kids.

I mean I guess you can say those other shows are more quotable (debatable) but Black-ish got my memes. Its a show for a different era.

The show got tons of spin offs. Michelle Obama guest appearance.

And it tackled all of the big black stories of our time in a way Cosby show never did.

Its right there is the Upper Echelon of Black TV Shows.

grey
2231 posts
Thu Apr-14-22 09:51 PM

12. "RE: perhaps you're not appreciating its era of existence"
In response to Reply # 8

>the shows named came out before streaming, or the internet for
>that matter, was a thing. Black-ish has had to exist during
>the internet of television, with distraction at an all time
>high and focus correspondingly low.

i dont think the internet really affected my view of the show (if i understand your point). id argue the internet is a better conduit for potential classic episodes/lines to flow cuz communication is easier, and even in that context blackish dont really have either (memes included).

i think it speaks to the timelessness of some of those older shows that the same episodes/lines are still in the consciousness when the internet wasnt around.

>it is FOR the culture, undeniably, and has tackled issues with
>greater depth and more regularity than any of its forebears.
>It goes in the Pantheon, unquestionably.

definitely for the culture, necessary, and entertaining. i enjoyed the show so no argument there. still, ill acknowledge pantheon status but i dont think its on the same level as the shows mentioned. time will tell i suppose.

Beamer6178
6379 posts
Thu Apr-14-22 11:36 PM

13. "i may not have been as clear"
In response to Reply # 12

>>the shows named came out before streaming, or the internet
>for
>>that matter, was a thing. Black-ish has had to exist during
>>the internet of television, with distraction at an all time
>>high and focus correspondingly low.
>
>i dont think the internet really affected my view of the show
>(if i understand your point). id argue the internet is a
>better conduit for potential classic episodes/lines to flow
>cuz communication is easier, and even in that context blackish
>dont really have either (memes included).

the point i was trying to make is that there were like 5 channels on network tv during that time. commercials were an essential part of tv watching, good or bad. watching a show was more of an event that people would plan their evenings/weekends around. in the past two years, i've binged through entire series from start to finish: Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Insecure, Power, and more I can't even remember. All of this has made TV watching more efficient, but less memorable because we can now plan WHAT we're going to watch rather then where we're going to be to watch something. a week between episodes of a show that EVERYONE watched the SAME TIME creates more of a memory than something that people watch at different times. the point about syndication was dead on as well. repeat viewings help imprint an episode or lines into the consciousness.

but i'll say that because Blackish has gone much deeper on the issues, the specific lines and phrases are not as essential as the concepts and topics, whereas in the earlier sitcoms, it was all about the setup to the audience laughter, which is another element missing from much of this era's sitcoms.

>
>i think it speaks to the timelessness of some of those older
>shows that the same episodes/lines are still in the
>consciousness when the internet wasnt around.
>
>>it is FOR the culture, undeniably, and has tackled issues
>with
>>greater depth and more regularity than any of its forebears.
>
>>It goes in the Pantheon, unquestionably.
>
>
>definitely for the culture, necessary, and entertaining. i
>enjoyed the show so no argument there. still, ill acknowledge
>pantheon status but i dont think its on the same level as the
>shows mentioned. time will tell i suppose.

to be honest, i don't know whether we'll ever go back to those days with that type of imprint, there are just too many options for folks to watch shows over and over and over again. i don't even know how much will be picked up for future syndication since anyone paying for cable will be able to watch many of the same shows on streaming, sans commercials.

grey
2231 posts
Fri Apr-15-22 12:12 PM

15. "i hear you "
In response to Reply # 13

don’t agree but I hear you. lotta shows from that era nobody talks about tho. lotta shows during this era still considered community viewing (insecure, etc.) and even with all the options, ill watch a martin episode workin out in the morning. not gonna anecdote you to death but i think we understand each other.

blackish was cool for what it was (you seem to find the MESSAGE (c) particularly compelling) but it ain’t touching cosby level even in the context of limited viewing options (my cousins n nem agreed in the chat so ill hear no further argument on this point ha).

i don’t think it’s even touching prince (and i was a bigger martin fan than prince).

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Wed Apr-20-22 08:48 AM

17. "My point is we aren't the judges if Black-ish because we are old. "
In response to Reply # 15

And of course we think the shows we grew up are better than the shows out today.

But my kids have probably never seen an episode of Cosby SHow. and the kids in between my kids and our age can't look at Bill Cosby without being morally disgusted.

So yeah time will tell if Black-ish is on Mt Rushmore of Black Comedies but it looks like the answer is yes.

>don’t agree but I hear you. lotta shows from that era
>nobody talks about tho. lotta shows during this era still
>considered community viewing (insecure, etc.) and even with
>all the options, ill watch a martin episode workin out in the
>morning. not gonna anecdote you to death but i think we
>understand each other.
>
>blackish was cool for what it was (you seem to find the
>MESSAGE (c) particularly compelling) but it ain’t touching
>cosby level even in the context of limited viewing options (my
>cousins n nem agreed in the chat so ill hear no further
>argument on this point ha).
>
>i don’t think it’s even touching prince (and i was a
>bigger martin fan than prince).

Beamer6178
6379 posts
Fri Apr-22-22 07:49 AM

18. "right. impossible to analyze and properly place in real time"
In response to Reply # 17

>And of course we think the shows we grew up are better than
>the shows out today.
>
>But my kids have probably never seen an episode of Cosby SHow.
> and the kids in between my kids and our age can't look at
>Bill Cosby without being morally disgusted.
>
>So yeah time will tell if Black-ish is on Mt Rushmore of Black
>Comedies but it looks like the answer is yes.
>
>
>
>>don’t agree but I hear you. lotta shows from that era
>>nobody talks about tho. lotta shows during this era still
>>considered community viewing (insecure, etc.) and even with
>>all the options, ill watch a martin episode workin out in
>the
>>morning. not gonna anecdote you to death but i think we
>>understand each other.
>>
>>blackish was cool for what it was (you seem to find the
>>MESSAGE (c) particularly compelling) but it ain’t touching
>>cosby level even in the context of limited viewing options
>(my
>>cousins n nem agreed in the chat so ill hear no further
>>argument on this point ha).
>>
>>i don’t think it’s even touching prince (and i was a
>>bigger martin fan than prince).
>
>
>**********
>"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then
>they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson
>
>"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

that was a solid ending of a show, even if the season was much shorter than i'd have liked. what will be very interesting 25 years from now is how rewatching the show will give you MUCH more insight as to what was happening in society than you would get from the 80s-90s shows, which occurred much more within a vacuum. the fact that there was a serious fight over an episode that was on point when it would have FIRST aired and only allowed when its accuracy was laid bare for all, a fight that led to the creator leaving the show, but the show continuing...it will be interesting to have either a reunion or documentary that talks about all of the envelopes Black-ish pushed during its run.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Fri Apr-22-22 09:50 AM

19. "Black-ish is a critique of the Cosby Show's Black Exceptionalism"
In response to Reply # 18

The way it took on topics of the day head on. Was there any racism in the Cosby Show?

But its not a diss of the cosby show. New Art is supposed to advance and have a conversation with older art.

In 20 years there will be a show that critiques the materialism of Black-ish.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22099 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 11:32 AM

3. "Also shit like White Famous, Woke, #blackaf, Flatbush Misdemeanors"
In response to Reply # 0

I liked White Famous and Woke to a degree.
Did not like #blackaf at all.
Still haven't seen Flatbush Misdemeanors.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Numba_33
Charter member
19322 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 03:42 PM

5. "Since you didn't specify sitcoms, I'll mention The Eric Andre Show."
In response to Reply # 0

Very oddball and absurd humor, but definitely black as hell given it has two black leads staring.

I do wonder if he'll bring it back since he has a ton of visibility and I imagine its going to be harder to get guests that he can prank.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

grey
2231 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 04:56 PM

7. "yea bust down is wild "
In response to Reply # 0

i like the type humor in southside more but they remind me of each other

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Wed Apr-13-22 09:53 AM

9. "Just got through the Kubby episode of Woke."
In response to Reply # 0

I’m liking the show, but the inanimate objects talking takes me out of it.

I’m glad Abbott Elementary has been renewed, because the season finale was a good one.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49387 posts
Thu Apr-14-22 02:51 PM

11. "The history of this show is crazy. "
In response to Reply # 9

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/01/19/hulus-woke-reportedly-replaced-black-female-showrunner-with-antiracist-white-man-after-she-refused-to-only-punch-down-at-white-men/

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36960 posts
Fri Apr-15-22 11:12 AM

14. "I'm just glad we're progressing past the laugh track."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Apr-15-22 11:12 AM by LeroyBumpkin

I grew up on sitcoms in the 80s/90s with laugh tracks,
but the format for that style of TV comedy I think has grown dated.
My favorite comedy shows on TV have me laughing without a dialed in studio audience.

And can we talk about the laugh track for a second?
We all know live studio audiences have been dead for a while now right?
Shows have been using pre-recorded laughs for at least the last 5-10 years, and it's horrible!

Prime example? Go watch an episode of The Hood with Cedric The Entertainer.
Or the Upshaws with Mike Epps on Netflix.
Neither show is my thing, but my girl sometimes watches them. Horrible laugh tracks.
Like, they maybe have 6 or 7 versions of different audience reactions, and they're horrible.
I can't stand to hear it.

Now compare that to an episode of Martin.
Not only was that a live studio audience, but it was a Black audience.

So yeah, I'm glad we're writing jokes that don't come with instructions anymore.

https://digife.com

Mafamaticks
Member since Jan 12th 2004
4667 posts
Wed Apr-20-22 04:21 AM

16. "Nah they moved the laugh tracks to all these Daily Show clones now"
In response to Reply # 14

at least it seems like that

handle
Charter member
18941 posts
Tue Nov-08-22 12:47 PM

20. "Abott Elementary"
In response to Reply # 0

I watched the first 7 on HBO Max and it's okay and I think it has the structure and capability of turning into a really funny show.

Night Court wasn't great until mid season 2.

Weird that Chris from Everybody Hates Chris grew up and looks exactly the same -and that's he's 30 now!

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #744024 Previous topic | Next topic