Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743897

Subject: "Severance (Apple TV+ or, you know.. the internet)" Previous topic | Next topic
Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Fri Mar-25-22 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Severance (Apple TV+ or, you know.. the internet)"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11280740/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Saw it being described as Black Mirror meets the Office. I think it leans more closely to Black Mirror, because the humor is quite subdued.

The cast is great, the premise works surprisingly well (doesn't make it hard to suspend disbelief) and stylistically it's a weird but effective blend of contemporary and retro modernism.

Ben Stiller produces and directs a few of the episodes. I'm going to keep an eye on whatever future stuff he's working on, because between Escape at Dannemora he's making some very good television.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
what the hell are they doing (workwise)?
Mar 25th 2022
I have no idea.
Mar 28th 2022
Absolutely fantastic
Mar 25th 2022
RE: Absolutely fantastic
Mar 29th 2022
I was about to make this post
Mar 26th 2022
trammel tillman (milchick) killed it ep 7
Apr 01st 2022
Awesome season finale.
Apr 08th 2022
One of the best shows in recent years
Apr 09th 2022
folks are sleeping
Apr 11th 2022
by season 2, so many will be on board
Apr 11th 2022
RE: One of the best shows in recent years
Apr 20th 2022
I wish DVDs/Blu-Rays were still fairly popular
May 02nd 2022
top notch execution all across the board
May 01st 2022
the only thing I disliked was..
May 01st 2022
This show is excellent. Really one of the best season finales I've seen
May 02nd 2022
So I is in the middle of Ep 3 and I need to continue?
May 02nd 2022
I think it took a while for me to get sucked it.
May 02nd 2022
Spoilers!!
May 02nd 2022
Yes and we meet her and her Senator husband in the finale
May 02nd 2022
      I kept wondering what is the most practical use of Severance
May 02nd 2022
      Spoiler with a possibly incorrect assumption
May 02nd 2022
I imagine the entire second season could be backstory and prequel
May 02nd 2022

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Fri Mar-25-22 05:16 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "what the hell are they doing (workwise)?"
In response to Reply # 0

Im sure its something nefarious

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Mon Mar-28-22 02:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I have no idea."
In response to Reply # 1

I agree it's gotta be something sinister, but every time the veil gets lifted a tiny bit, it just reveals something even weirder than what you know. I kind of feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark, just like the protagonists, and I think that works very well for this show.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Fri Mar-25-22 11:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Absolutely fantastic "
In response to Reply # 0

Love it. Gripping. Definitely feel like there's something very sinister (and perhaps even Satanic/cult-ish) going on behind the scenes. So stoked to learn this is getting a second season!

www.twitter.com/seandammit

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Tue Mar-29-22 07:43 PM

5. "RE: Absolutely fantastic "
In response to Reply # 2

I'm hoping it doesn't devolve into an interdepartmental axe fight. LOL

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sat Mar-26-22 04:04 PM

3. "I was about to make this post"
In response to Reply # 0

So I was glad to see your post today. I'm loving the show so far. I really like the humor of the show with it's quirky writing which has really good contrast between the office scenes and the outside world scenes. I also really like the pacing and how the mystery of it all has been unraveling. It feels like the mystery elements will get paid off and that it's not just mystery boxing us, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. It's also got some backrooms found footage vibes with the set design which looks super creepy.

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Fri Apr-01-22 01:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "trammel tillman (milchick) killed it ep 7 "
In response to Reply # 0

whole cast is really good but dude was incredible that ep

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Fri Apr-08-22 04:35 PM

7. "Awesome season finale."
In response to Reply # 0

I knew it was going to end where it did, but it still hit me hard.

This, Station Eleven and Succession's third season are my favorite TV of the past year. Just excellent.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Sat Apr-09-22 02:26 PM

8. "One of the best shows in recent years"
In response to Reply # 0

It's next level good IMO. The acting. The set design. The cinematography. All amazing. The ensemble cast is excellent. John Turturro is putting on a masterclass in acting. Zach Cherry and Tramell Tillman are a revelation.

I'm invested in these characters like a MFer. That's my crew. I root hard for them. And Dylan G? The MFin' MVP!

Can't wait until Season 2.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 04:58 PM

9. "folks are sleeping "
In response to Reply # 8

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Mon Apr-11-22 10:02 PM

10. "by season 2, so many will be on board"
In response to Reply # 9

>

eldealo
Charter member
10110 posts
Wed Apr-20-22 09:12 AM

11. "RE: One of the best shows in recent years"
In response to Reply # 8

>It's next level good IMO. The acting. The set design. The
>cinematography. All amazing. The ensemble cast is excellent.
>John Turturro is putting on a masterclass in acting. Zach
>Cherry and Tramell Tillman are a revelation.
>
>I'm invested in these characters like a MFer. That's my crew.
>I root hard for them. And Dylan G? The MFin' MVP!
>
>Can't wait until Season 2.

I started watching this series partially based on comments from colleagues, and your comments. I'm definitely glad I did. Binged watched the season. I'm excited to see where they take this for Season 2 !Thanks !

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Mon May-02-22 08:51 AM

15. "I wish DVDs/Blu-Rays were still fairly popular"
In response to Reply # 8

>It's next level good IMO. The acting. The set design. The
>cinematography. All amazing. The ensemble cast is excellent.
>John Turturro is putting on a masterclass in acting. Zach
>Cherry and Tramell Tillman are a revelation.
>
>I'm invested in these characters like a MFer. That's my crew.
>I root hard for them. And Dylan G? The MFin' MVP!
>
>Can't wait until Season 2.

because I'd love to watch some behind the scenes footage and listen to commentary for the show from the folks involved in making it. The set designs and camera work were master class level. Walking around the office felt like being in a big budget movie set given how orderly and precise everything was.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Sun May-01-22 06:45 PM

12. "top notch execution all across the board"
In response to Reply # 0

The only slight nitpick is storywise in regards to how involved Patricia Arquette's character is with the main character's home life, but I'm more than willing to overlook that given that everything else is done so well. Top notch job by Ben Stiller to infuse humor into this show since it's fairly dark.

I wonder how many seasons this show will last for. Part of me wants this to last three seasons tops so that the storylines remain plausible. Anything longer and I fear the show will get a bit too implausible or got too far into it's own ass.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

rdhull
Charter member
33127 posts
Sun May-01-22 09:45 PM

13. "the only thing I disliked was.."
In response to Reply # 0

Arquettes comic book 'stache twirling villain take

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon May-02-22 08:25 AM

14. "This show is excellent. Really one of the best season finales I've seen"
In response to Reply # 0

Like as far as cliff hangers go, this show nailed it. Edge of my seat trying to see if he could tell his sister in time.

All the acting is amazing (I like Patricia A.'s acting in it).

The brother Tramell Tillman is creepy AF. SO good.

Love the Dharma Initiative videos.

Also fairly certain there job is meaningless. I think its an experiment to see if it works. What the heck is a scary number!??

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66741 posts
Mon May-02-22 09:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "So I is in the middle of Ep 3 and I need to continue?"
In response to Reply # 0

I couldnt explain a thing to someone at this point, from this feedback I assume this gets good GOOD??

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon May-02-22 10:46 AM

18. "I think it took a while for me to get sucked it. "
In response to Reply # 16

I kept wondering what about the premise would be worth exploring for 9 episodes. And then it delivers.

The season finale is the best directed episode of TV I can think of. Tense for every minute of it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon May-02-22 10:40 AM

17. "Spoilers!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yoooo, I didn't really pay attention to the storyline with the sister but reading this blew my mind. Did you all catch all of this when watching the show?

https://screenrant.com/severance-senator-wife-gabby-baby-william-pregnant-innies/

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Mon May-02-22 11:03 AM

19. "Yes and we meet her and her Senator husband in the finale "
In response to Reply # 17

This show is basically Office Space + West World + Black Mirror.

GOP must watch this show in envy over that chip.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon May-02-22 11:08 AM

20. "I kept wondering what is the most practical use of Severance"
In response to Reply # 19

Yeah keeping confidential work secret sure but that alone doesn't seem that interesting.

But what I do think is really interesting is the idea that of "enslaving" your innie to do dark, traumatic work and experiences so that your outtie can live pain, trauma free?

I was wondering where next season to go but they've laid the groundwork for a lot of different stories.

Numba_33
Charter member
19325 posts
Mon May-02-22 11:10 AM

21. "Spoiler with a possibly incorrect assumption"
In response to Reply # 19

SPOILER SPACE

Since like you said the Senator was in on the Severance presentation and the purpose of the presentation is to make Severance legal, I'm going on the assumption that there's a plan to use Severance for military purposes as that would make it far easier to indoctrinate folks to do whatever the government would want them to do.

Of course, that doesn't explain everything Lumon does. I'm mainly thinking about that baby goat scene.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon May-02-22 05:55 PM

22. "I imagine the entire second season could be backstory and prequel "
In response to Reply # 0

And we don't get real answers until Season 3.

That would be the wrong thing to do of course. They should do a second season, and just wrap the story up.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743897 Previous topic | Next topic