Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743834

Subject: "Bullet Train (David Leitch, 2022) - trailer" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Sun Mar-13-22 06:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bullet Train (David Leitch, 2022) - trailer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IOsk2Vlc4o

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/bullet-train-trailer-brad-pitt-david-leitch-sony-1234703095/

‘Bullet Train’ Trailer: Brad Pitt Has a One-Way Ticket to a Blood Bath
Michael Shannon, Joey King, Brian Tyree Henry, Zazie Beetz, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, and Bad Bunny complete the ensemble cast for the graphic novel adaptation.

Samantha Bergeson

Mar 2, 2022 9:12 am

YouTube/screenshot

Five assassins, one train, and 95 percent real-life stunts: What could possibly derail this action blockbuster?

“John Wick” director and former stuntman David Leitch tapped longtime collaborator Brad Pitt to star in “Bullet Train,” based on the graphic novel “Maria Beetle” by Kōtarō Isaka.

The first trailer for “Bullet Train” shows Pitt as one of the five assassins who boards the titular locomotive, and quickly learns that his mission seems a little too similar to that of his peers. “Bullet Train” premieres July 15.

Here’s the official synopsis from Sony: “An original movie event, ‘Bullet Train’ is a fun, delirious action-thriller from the director of ‘Deadpool 2,’ David Leitch. Brad Pitt headlines an ensemble cast of eclectic, diverse assassins — all with connected yet conflicting objectives — set against the backdrop of a non-stop ride through modern-day Japan.

Joey King, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Zazie Beetz, Brian Tyree Henry, Andrew Koji, Hiroyuki Sanada, Michael Shannon, and Benito A Martínez Ocasio (aka Bad Bunny) round out an ensemble cast that marks a slew of reunions both behind and in front of the camera.

Beetz and Henry are both stars of FX’s “Atlanta,” while director Leitch served as Pitt’s stunt double on films such as “Troy,” “Fight Club,” and “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” before becoming a director with breakout franchise “John Wick.”

Leitch also directed “Atomic Blonde,” “Deadpool 2” and “Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw,” so the director knows a thing or two about stunt-making.

Pitt said that he performed “95 percent” of his own stunts, proving that his “Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood” alter ego landed him more than just an Oscar but also some stuntman intel.

“We were fortunate to be shooting in L.A. during a time when artists were ready to get back to work and having Brad on the project — hot off an Oscar win and having a great script by Zak Olkewicz — really did attract the best people,” Leitch told Vulture. “We were able to get people back to work safely during a pandemic, which is pretty amazing.”

Lady Gaga was reportedly to star in the film at one point but parted ways due to scheduling conflicts in 2020. Her role was taken over by Sandra Bullock, whose voice you can hear in the trailer.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
up
Aug 06th 2022
neither trailer i saw made me want to go see it
Aug 06th 2022
Like a late-90s ripoff-Tarantino riff mixed with Ryan Reynolds humor.
Aug 06th 2022
expound
Aug 07th 2022
moreso guy ritchie.
Sep 28th 2022
i was gonna ask why brad pitt would even do a film like this
Aug 06th 2022
It was fine, fun, and forgettable in the best of ways
Aug 07th 2022
this shit was surprisingly good!
Sep 28th 2022
I dunno. I liked it.
Dec 13th 2022
Perfectly fine.
Dec 13th 2022
Perfectly fine movie and a fun ride
Dec 13th 2022
was on a plane about a month ago and half the flight was watching it
Dec 13th 2022
I echo the “fun, if forgettable” comments, but I do have one complai...
Dec 13th 2022
I need a prequel about the "Twins"
Dec 13th 2022
RE: I need a prequel about the "Twins"
Dec 13th 2022
I'm with this.
Dec 14th 2022
This would be great and I would watch it
Dec 14th 2022

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Sat Aug-06-22 03:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "up"
In response to Reply # 0

^

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sat Aug-06-22 02:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "neither trailer i saw made me want to go see it"
In response to Reply # 0

it just seemed strictly commercial to the point of blandness. the review i heard this week said it's pretty fun, like a live action bugs bunny, until the final act, which is bad and beneath brad pitt, whose movies i usually like a lot.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sat Aug-06-22 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Like a late-90s ripoff-Tarantino riff mixed with Ryan Reynolds humor."
In response to Reply # 0

If that sounds good to you, you’ll probably enjoy it. I didn’t really like it much, as I think the Ryan Reynoldsification of action cinema needs to be stopped, and I think Stahelski was so clearly the engine that made John Wick good instead of Leitch, because the action here is *fine* but not remotely remarkable. But hey, mileage may vary!

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Sun Aug-07-22 10:09 PM

6. "expound"
In response to Reply # 3

>as I think the Ryan
>Reynoldsification of action cinema

--------

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Wed Sep-28-22 02:51 PM

7. "moreso guy ritchie."
In response to Reply # 3

Reeq
16347 posts
Sat Aug-06-22 05:45 PM

4. "i was gonna ask why brad pitt would even do a film like this"
In response to Reply # 0

but apparently the director used to be his stunt double in the past and they have a great relationship.

guess thats all it takes.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sun Aug-07-22 08:18 PM

5. "It was fine, fun, and forgettable in the best of ways"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, the humor and setup grew old by the end. And like Longo said, the ending is really bad and unbelievable.

But in between are really likable characters played by charismatic actors. Lots of self-growth and self-help humor, which was legitimately funny as someone who has exposed himself to a fair share of that philosophy.

And while the action wasn't nearly at a fever pitch like John Wick, it was fun enough for me. Then again, I don't have much of an appetite for graphic violence anyway anymore. Maybe I like the movie less if the intensity and realism were dialed up.

The movie did seem a bit long and had that feeling where you're already 2 hours in and realize that the final battle hasn't happened yet, so you grow frustrated you'll be in your seat for another 20 minutes.

But if you subscribe to leaving *any* expectations in the lobby and turn your brain off for a couple of hours, you'll have a good time.

BTW, Ryan-Reynoldsification of action should be a meme. Very funny and on-point.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Reeq
16347 posts
Wed Sep-28-22 02:56 PM

8. "this shit was surprisingly good!"
In response to Reply # 0

good acting, good dialogue, good action, good gags, cool cameos, nice twists and turns, etc.

really not much to complain about.

seems like critics shit on it but audiences loved it.

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 01:48 AM

9. "I dunno. I liked it. "
In response to Reply # 0

It knows what it is. It’s a very thin ode to Tarantino. It’s fun, has meta moments, some good action scenes and was fun to turn your brain off to.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 12:58 PM

10. "Perfectly fine."
In response to Reply # 0

Good action
Good Story
Good Actors

Nothing to complain about (or see) here. Great Netflix joint.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 01:37 PM

11. "Perfectly fine movie and a fun ride"
In response to Reply # 0

My wife and I enjoyed it last Saturday night. Lots of good actors and cameos, fun dialogue and good action.

I would watch a sequel of this if made.

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41496 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 01:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "was on a plane about a month ago and half the flight was watching it"
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 01:48 PM

13. "I echo the “fun, if forgettable” comments, but I do have one complai..."
In response to Reply # 0

I think they were trying to create an ensemble of memorable funny/badass characters, but failed. The humor in Pitt’s character didn’t really land with me. I liked Brian Tyree Henry’s character a bit, but other than that, none of them stuck with me.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 03:32 PM

14. "I need a prequel about the "Twins""
In response to Reply # 0

Their relationship was the only genuinely interesting thing about this.

Otherwise, it was a blast to watch, and I'm not far from lockstep with Pretentious Username on it.

I'd love to see more of this world, but not necessarily with these particular characters apart from the "twins". But I'd go opening weekend to a prequel about them.

Everyone was "fine", but to PU's point, they didn't nail what they were going for, which is a shame. There's a very "John Wick" air about the world here, but not enough world building to stick the landing.

To that end, I'd argue that there is something here worth building on. I think a Twins film would be money, but there's still enough to work with in the right hands, IMO.

I do wish I'd have seen it in the theater, as this is a great summer popcorn flick, even if it's not particularly memorable on the whole

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Dec-13-22 07:48 PM

15. "RE: I need a prequel about the "Twins""
In response to Reply # 14

>Everyone was "fine", but to PU's point, they didn't nail what
>they were going for, which is a shame. There's a very "John
>Wick" air about the world here, but not enough world building
>to stick the landing.
>
>To that end, I'd argue that there is something here worth
>building on. I think a Twins film would be money, but there's
>still enough to work with in the right hands, IMO.
>

The reason I felt the movie is forgettable is that the characters and dialogue weren't nailed 100%. The "forgetableness" is more of a sign of lack of quality than anything. As unique as the characters were, there wasn't compelling enough about them as a unit that made a deep impression.

I agree that if the script was refined a bit more, maybe there's a chance to explore the "quirkiness" of the character's backstories. As it was, the movie was about 20 minutes too long. So, the story would need quite a bit of an edit and rewrite to scale back some of the plot to allow for more dialogue and exploration.
If the filmmakers nailed that, I think this movie becomes a cult favorite. Maybe a sequel is greenlit, and more of the world gets explored.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Wed Dec-14-22 10:32 AM

16. "I'm with this."

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Wed Dec-14-22 12:09 PM

17. "This would be great and I would watch it"

You could go back and explore what happened in Bolivia or Jburg.

A sequel starring Ryan Reynolds character would be a good way to also build out the universe.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743834 Previous topic | Next topic