Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743640

Subject: "Peacemaker Season 1 (HBO Max)" Previous topic | Next topic
JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Fri Feb-18-22 10:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Peacemaker Season 1 (HBO Max)"

OK, I've waited and waited to see if a post about this show would come up, and now that the first season is over, I'm mad I didn't do it earlier.

This show is right in James Gunn's wheelhouse, and it def leads back to his time working on Troma films. The use of hair metal was executed perfectly, he really knows what music to put into a scene.

Say what you want about Cena, but he's doing the best acting he's ever done to date in this series. I wasn't the biggest fan of his but his portrayal of Peacemaker is something else, he's showing more acting chops than Dwayne Johnson ever could.

The rest of the cast has been outstanding as well. I always enjoyed Danielle Brooks, but she got me fawning over her in this series.

I could keep going on, but bottom line, Watch This Show! It's the best thing out of the DCEU after Suicide Squad (2). Just the perfect mix of action, humor, and emotion. So glad it's getting a second season.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
How does this rate compared to The Boys?
Feb 18th 2022
This is Napoleon Dynamite meets Justice League meets Venture Bros
Feb 18th 2022
^Mostly this
Feb 18th 2022
Thanks for the response.
Feb 18th 2022
yeah its crass and silly but it has a ton of heart
Feb 18th 2022
Funnier, but way less tense, more light-hearted
Feb 18th 2022
It doesn't. This is joyfully ridiculous from the very opening theme
Feb 19th 2022
      ^good description...
Feb 26th 2022

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Fri Feb-18-22 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "How does this rate compared to The Boys?"
In response to Reply # 0

To be clear with what I'm asking, is this show of the same quality as The Boys?

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Fri Feb-18-22 12:46 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is Napoleon Dynamite meets Justice League meets Venture Bros"
In response to Reply # 1

Its campy, violent, heart-warming and action packed....the humor is pretty much middle school boys locker room vibe, but there are times when its laugh out loud funny.

------------------
One Hundred.

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Fri Feb-18-22 01:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "^Mostly this"
In response to Reply # 2

It does have some middle school humor, but it goes with the main character and his sidekick who show signs of arrested development.

I would say this is more like the Amazon version to The Tick if you want to compare it to something, though a little less violent.

It's James Gunn, so if you don't like his stuff you might now enjoy this. If you don, then you're going to love it.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Numba_33
Charter member
19328 posts
Fri Feb-18-22 02:43 PM

5. "Thanks for the response."
In response to Reply # 3

I'll check this out since I did see some positive reviews elsewhere for this show.

I liked Gunn's work on Guardians of the Galaxy well enough (some of the humor in those movies are a bit over the top for my tastes), but I ignored this show mainly because I assumed anything to do with recent DC Comics adaptations would be trash.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Fri Feb-18-22 01:41 PM

4. "yeah its crass and silly but it has a ton of heart"
In response to Reply # 2

<--- Big Baller World Order

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Fri Feb-18-22 04:47 PM

6. "Funnier, but way less tense, more light-hearted"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Feb-18-22 04:48 PM by stylez dainty

Definitely makes fun of itself (and the idea of superheroes in general) way more. But it doesn't have the dramatic stakes of The Boys, which could be genuinely creepy and tense sometimes.

Oh, but production values wise, this is another level. Great CGI and pretty much big budget movie quality effects. I don't remember Boys looking low budget, but I don't remember being impressed either.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Sat Feb-19-22 06:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "It doesn't. This is joyfully ridiculous from the very opening theme"
In response to Reply # 1
Sat Feb-19-22 06:09 PM by Cold Truth

If you get a kick out of the opening theme, then good news for you, you should love it.

If you find yourself rolling your eyes, smirking, annoyed, etc, you may as well just turn it off. Because that opening scene is just the tip of the iceberg for how ridiculous this thing is.

My wife and I love it. This shit was must see from ep 1, and we're excited that season 2 has been announced.

I wouldn't really compare it to The Boys though.

Peacemaker is all hammy, campy, scenery chewing absurdity, all the time. The Boys has some of that, but it's still generally a serious show.

Someone mentioned the middle school humor, which is basically the entire thing, but it's all done in such a fun, earnest way with a ragtag band of ill-yet-perfectly fitting absurd characters that it just works.

I think there are some basic comparisons between the two, but they're very different overall. You'd have to add way more absurd humor and a thick blanket of warmth to the Boys, or strip those elements from Peacemaker to make the two comparable.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sat Feb-26-22 01:07 AM

8. "^good description..."
In response to Reply # 7

yeah, this take ^ above rings accurate in our house as well.

we dug both shows (The Boys and Peacemaker) equally, but yeah what you described there essentially encapsulates the main differences between the two.

character spoiler:

gotta give a special shout out to the actor playing 'Vigilante'. THIS dude steals every scene he's in.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743640 Previous topic | Next topic