Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743366

Subject: "The Last Duel (Ridley Scott, Damon, Affleck 2021)" Previous topic | Next topic
Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5627 posts
Mon Jan-17-22 06:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Last Duel (Ridley Scott, Damon, Affleck 2021)"

Roshomon meets Kingdom of Heaven

It just dropped on HBO Max after a disappointing theater run. I remember people making fun of the trailer because it was Affleck and Damon in a historical epic.

But GOT DAMN this is another Ridley Scott history banger. The way they present the story, the set pieces, the script, performances, etc. All fire. I loved this movie.

Not quite as good as The Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut or Gladiator, just a notch below. But i'd venture to say it will get a renewed life once people actually see it. Damn good movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgygUwPJvYk&t=2s

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This was incredibly good
Jan 17th 2022
Yeah. Sucks people didn't give it a chance.
Jan 18th 2022
I’m excited to watch this now. Thanks for the review
Jan 17th 2022
Quite liked it. Needed to end *one* scene sooner.
Jan 18th 2022
Hmmm. THE scene or another scene?
Jan 18th 2022
      the very last shot
Jan 18th 2022
           Oh, damn. I completely misread that. Lmao
Jan 18th 2022
           ^^^
Jan 19th 2022
                Yeah. He did the same thing with Kingdom of Heaven
Jan 19th 2022
im sorry but this movie fucking sucked
Jan 18th 2022
RE: im sorry but this movie fucking sucked
Jan 19th 2022
This was so good
Jan 19th 2022
Ridley Scott is 84 years old.
Jan 20th 2022
      I'm totally behind the curve on this
Jan 21st 2022
           Watch Kingdom Of Heaven - Director's Cut
Jan 21st 2022
                That rules - thank you!
Jan 21st 2022
one word: BASURA
Jan 20th 2022

josephmurf2384
Member since Nov 21st 2005
5289 posts
Mon Jan-17-22 09:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "This was incredibly good"
In response to Reply # 0

Sofian_Hadi
5627 posts
Tue Jan-18-22 08:38 AM

3. "Yeah. Sucks people didn't give it a chance."
In response to Reply # 1

Then again a movie like this probably should have been a tandem theater/streaming release from the get-go.

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Mon Jan-17-22 10:43 PM

2. "I’m excited to watch this now. Thanks for the review"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Jan-18-22 11:12 AM

4. "Quite liked it. Needed to end *one* scene sooner."
In response to Reply # 0

Thought it would've had a BANGER ending one scene before it did, lol.

But yeah, really nice stuff here from Ridley. Affleck MVP.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Sofian_Hadi
5627 posts
Tue Jan-18-22 01:29 PM

5. "Hmmm. THE scene or another scene?"
In response to Reply # 4

*spoiler*

If you mean the assault scene i felt it wasnt actually as "gratuitous" as people were saying. I think the length was necessary to present little differences between each character's version.

It had little nuances between each person's point of view when it was their turn to tell the story. (The way she half closes the door in one version vs fully slams it, the way she laughs in one version vs not a single laugh in the other, the way she playfully kicks her shoe off vs it falls off because she is running for her life, how she says no playfully vs begging no)

I think Adam Driver's character legitimately believed it wasn't a rape, even though it obviously was. He was so evil and out of touch he died thinking he didn't do anything wrong.

ternary_star
Charter member
15211 posts
Tue Jan-18-22 03:13 PM

6. "the very last shot"
In response to Reply # 5

the mother and baby playing in the field

Sofian_Hadi
5627 posts
Tue Jan-18-22 04:30 PM

7. "Oh, damn. I completely misread that. Lmao"
In response to Reply # 6

Yeah. The end titles were enough

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Wed Jan-19-22 01:15 AM

9. "^^^"
In response to Reply # 6

If you end the movie with her staring off into the middle distance in the crowd, that's a fucking banger ending.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Sofian_Hadi
5627 posts
Wed Jan-19-22 08:03 AM

10. "Yeah. He did the same thing with Kingdom of Heaven"
In response to Reply # 9

Could have ended with him telling Richard the Lionheart he is just a blacksmith. He added the ending scene of Orlando Bloom and Eva Green riding on horses together. He needs a "end it here" guy.

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Tue Jan-18-22 06:48 PM

8. "im sorry but this movie fucking sucked"
In response to Reply # 0

the same movie three times with not much appeal at all

-----------------------------------------

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6738 posts
Wed Jan-19-22 10:34 AM

11. "RE: im sorry but this movie fucking sucked"
In response to Reply # 8

Yeah, every segment went exactly how you'd think it would go, and the two knight's segments especially covered so much similar ground that they seemed redundant. I could see this being more interesting a few decades ago, but for modern audiences, I think every misrepresentation in the two knights' accounts is obvious the second it's presented.

But I will say everything looked great, the period details were really immersive, and the acting was strong, so I didn't mind spending time with the film, even if the story let me down.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Wed Jan-19-22 10:45 AM

12. "This was so good"
In response to Reply # 0

Incredibly strong awareness of the political and social dynamics of the time period, which is ... rare for a move about the late middle ages. Getting the right mix of intense reaction to a rapidly changing world driven by:

-vast demographic shifts due to brutal mid-century plagues, most clearly visible in this story by the occasional allusion to rising labor costs

-immense tension between people in power desperate to preserve the authority of the foundation for that power, The Church, as it squanders that authority in a century bracketed by the *huge* overreach of "Unam Sanctam" and the crisis of legitimacy created by the papal schism

-VERY slowly shifting gender dynamics driven by increased lay (and female) participation in the culture of the church and spurred in the secular realm by increased literacy and consequent indulgence in non-religious literature (a point of connection between Jacques and Marguerite)

But it wasn't just an "I did my research" show and tell, though I'll happily admit that I'd be a HUGE sucker for something with way less of a compelling story if they get the historical context down so successfully. Rather, they integrated all of this into a narrative, making these characters, to varying degrees, subjects of history rather than agents of it. The story drives home how much of these heavily ceremonialized rule of law is driven by a barely-subtextual rule of power. It places Jean de Carrouges in a growing category of impoverished nobels and Marguerite in a growing category of women who had just enough agency to truly endanger their own lives.

AND they actually stopped periodically to make it funny with the subtly demented work of Alex Lawther as King Charles, who came to the throne at some absurdly young age and was ... exactly as normal as you'd expect a child king in the 14th century to be. Watching that actor struggle to keep a crown on his head, get distracted mid-sentence, and clap like a seal was completely wonderful and a totally beautiful reminder that the people who demand to rule us have been, pretty much since forever, absolute baby brains.

The different perspectives played really nicely, propped up by some great performances. Horrifying to watch but really skilled how even both of the accounts that were clearly *rape* (jean de carrouges' and marguerite's) actually played very differently, where the former really focused on Jacque's action as the rapist while the latter focused on Marguerite's own pain and terror. I loved the slight comedy sprinkled in as neither Jean nor Jacques was capable of telling their own account without ridiculous self-aggrandizement (former as loving husband and honest worker, latter as sexy and charming, self-made man of the world) that ultimately falls apart as they reveal what screwed up doofuses they are.

And Jodie Comer is terrific, playing all things to all people in each of the different versions and kind of slowly emerging as actually herself by the conclusion. Just a really smart, well-crafted movie that was apparently a giant flop? Man, I'm looking forward to our financial ministers of culture finally figuring out how distribution is going to look in the post-COVID world. I have preferences, obviously. I love movie theaters but I'm also really lazy so whatever. But it bums me out that I nearly missed this movie and assume there must be all kinds of good stuff that I'm missing for mostly silly reasons.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Sofian_Hadi
5627 posts
Thu Jan-20-22 08:31 AM

13. "Ridley Scott is 84 years old. "
In response to Reply # 12

When he inevitably goes we will lose like 90% of our HollyWood Historical Epics. As a history major and teacher i am super blessed a director like Ridley Scott existed and was successful enough to make these movies. I read "Warriors of God" and never thought i'd ever see a major Hollywood blockbuster about the Crusades with Saladin as a central character.

I'll even watch his shitty movies like "Exodus" for the set pieces and costumes.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Jan-21-22 11:16 AM

15. "I'm totally behind the curve on this"
In response to Reply # 13

>When he inevitably goes we will lose like 90% of our
>HollyWood Historical Epics. As a history major and teacher i
>am super blessed a director like Ridley Scott existed and was
>successful enough to make these movies. I read "Warriors of
>God" and never thought i'd ever see a major Hollywood
>blockbuster about the Crusades with Saladin as a central
>character.

I knew he'd been pretty invested in historical epics lately, but The Last Duel is the only one I've seen and as I said above, it was *thrilling* to see actual history so well integrated with the story.

So yeah - no idea that Ridley Scott was doing god's own work like this. Thank you for the heads up

>I'll even watch his shitty movies like "Exodus" for the set
>pieces and costumes.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Sofian_Hadi
5627 posts
Fri Jan-21-22 12:04 PM

16. "Watch Kingdom Of Heaven - Director's Cut"
In response to Reply # 15

It's one of the most detailed historical epics ever made. Down to the Muslims and Saladin having their own shaved ice in the middle of the desert.

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Fri Jan-21-22 03:10 PM

17. "That rules - thank you!"
In response to Reply # 16

nm

--Walleye's Dad

wrecknoble
Member since Mar 15th 2005
2276 posts
Thu Jan-20-22 12:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "one word: BASURA"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Jan-20-22 12:03 PM by wrecknoble

watched it over the holidays with my brother and sister-in-law

sister-in-law called it "#metoo game of thrones" lol - the best part of this movie was making fun of it after it ended

---

Frisson Radio | Saturdays 6-8 PM EST | 89.5 FM (Toronto) | www.ciut.fm
https://www.instagram.com/frissonradio

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #743366 Previous topic | Next topic