Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742790

Subject: "How To with John Wilson S2" Previous topic | Next topic
JAke_one
Member since Dec 28th 2007
103 posts
Tue Dec-07-21 12:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"How To with John Wilson S2"

If you enjoy alternative forms of storytelling this is perfect for you.

sorta like a mix between man-on-the-street interviews, crazy stories ala Charlie Kauffman, and Nathan For You-esque awkward narration (Fielder is a producer), with New York City and its people (and often others) as the setting, each episode has at least one element that is pretty fascinating.

There's nothing like it on television right now.

Really loved the first season. Curious to see what crazy stories he's got cooked up in the second season.

Anyone checking for this? Anyone?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
phenomenal show
Dec 07th 2021
Tied with Succession for my favorite show going
Dec 07th 2021
RE: Tied with Succession for my favorite show going
Dec 08th 2021
Love it
Dec 08th 2021

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Dec-07-21 01:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "phenomenal show"
In response to Reply # 0

New York is the main character, he's just sort of a narrator to it all.
Like in the first episode of season two...the idea that there's an expert on how to be a landlord is hilarious, that the same guy RENTS from a landlord is sublime

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Dec-07-21 03:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Tied with Succession for my favorite show going"
In response to Reply # 0

I was a little disappointed the Wine episode wasn't all about John trying to figure out what makes wine people tick, especially since I recently left a natural wine restaurant and shop after five years and kinda needed that skewering, but then that's also what's so fascinating about his show is where he winds up once he starts going off the rails.

I mean, he walked right up to the Bang CEO's house after telling a story about being adjacent to the NXVIM cult and then proceeded to compare Bang to a cult while kinda wishing he could join the cult while also somehow convincing Bang to let him air that?...!

Awesome stuff, like a real life High Maintenance without the drugs

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

JAke_one
Member since Dec 28th 2007
103 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 12:25 AM

3. "RE: Tied with Succession for my favorite show going"
In response to Reply # 2

The fact the guy who stockpiled military rations was the least eccentric part of the show is a testament to the insane narrative

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Wed Dec-08-21 01:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Love it "
In response to Reply # 0

I get anxiety just thinking about all the editing he has to do to get those storylines pieced together with all the video he has. It’s really good.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742790 Previous topic | Next topic