Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742567

Subject: "Yellowjackets (Showtime)" Previous topic | Next topic
Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 01:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Yellowjackets (Showtime)"

Anybody peep the pilot? New episode tonight I think.

It's like a mashup of Alive, Lord of the Flies, I Know What You Did Last Summer, and Lost with elements of True Detective season 1 and This Is Us lol.

Oh and Christina Ricci? Juliette Lewis? Yes please

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Yellowjackets (Showtime)
Nov 08th 2021
3 episodes in I love it
Jan 01st 2022
im fucking w/ this
Jan 02nd 2022
It's getting better
Jan 03rd 2022
About Adam…
Jan 14th 2022
im all in, love it, but im very skeptical of the inevitable cliffhanger
Jan 06th 2022
the creators said they planned for 5 seasons when they pitched it
Jan 06th 2022
2 episodes in. This shit is flames.
Jan 08th 2022
was just a matter of time before shrooms were introduced
Jan 10th 2022
i may be way off base for this but..
Jan 10th 2022
I was wondering how they ended up doing demonic rituals and shit lol
Jan 14th 2022
      I feel like
Jan 14th 2022
      As a frequent mushroom user, I thought that was *ridiculous,* lol.
Jan 28th 2022
Yeah, this show is gonna take off for Season 2.
Jan 14th 2022
Finale.
Jan 16th 2022
ok but where's Javi tho
Jan 17th 2022
      I don’t think they did.
Jan 17th 2022
Fun, compelling, and pretty damn stupid *spoilers*
Jan 17th 2022
Ooooof. Couldn’t disagree more.
Jan 17th 2022
      Yeah, at least it was clearly foreshadowed.
Jan 28th 2022
In the minority who found this to be "fine, good enough, etc." (spoilers...
Jan 28th 2022
To your biggest concern- I think we have to find out more.
Jan 31st 2022
I'm with you (but not for your main reasons)
Feb 06th 2022
You're probably on to something.
Feb 07th 2022
im sympathetic to this perspective
Feb 11th 2022
binged season 2.
May 28th 2023
Season 2 *spoilers*
May 31st 2023

Original Juice
2578 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 02:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Yellowjackets (Showtime)"
In response to Reply # 0

Ah never mind.. The pilot was an early premier so the 2nd ep doesn't come out til next week lol

Who's watching?

Showtime shows are usually good for the 1st couple seasons, so I'm in for the time being..

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Sat Jan-01-22 10:29 PM

2. "3 episodes in I love it"
In response to Reply # 0

pulpy but a lot of fun

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Sun Jan-02-22 04:31 PM

3. "im fucking w/ this"
In response to Reply # 0

teen drama + survival scenario + multiple timelines of plot = very up my alley

<--- Big Baller World Order

Original Juice
2578 posts
Mon Jan-03-22 12:45 PM

4. "It's getting better"
In response to Reply # 0

So many good things about this show:

- Christina Ricci
- Juliette Lewis
- Melanie Lynskey
- young Nat/young Shauna/Young Taissa/Young Misty
- The Adam thing.. I mean.. he's obviously ____.
- How they make you think it's on some supernatural stuff, but then it's just some mind playing tricks on me
- Young Tai stepping up, then returning with her tail between her legs
- Laura Lee going out in a blaze of glory
- Ricci
- Lewis
- Ricci
- Ricci

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43737 posts
Fri Jan-14-22 12:43 AM

10. "About Adam…"
In response to Reply # 4

(Spoilers for episode 9)

Turns out - doesn’t look like it. Sure seemed like he might be Javi - and honestly I’m glad it seems he’s not. That’d have been kinda lame.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Thu Jan-06-22 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "im all in, love it, but im very skeptical of the inevitable cliffhanger"
In response to Reply # 0

really gonna be disappointed when showtime showtime's this into 7 seasons. with so little left in season 1 and so many mysteries to be revealed, i have a scary feeling we're gonna get one big reveal and cliffhanger us into a season 2 1+ year wait. we are not close to wrapping up who's alive in present day and how we get to full-on cannibalism.

that said, obsessed with the casting of this show. i keep going back and forth hoping they'll show more of the 1996 stuff and wanting more of the 2021 stuff. i want to see the casting of the eventual reveals of present day teens so badly.

is Adam grown up Javi? reddit has been on that and it seems obvious at this point. so maybe not...but its fun to have a guessing game like this each week.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Thu Jan-06-22 06:04 PM

6. "the creators said they planned for 5 seasons when they pitched it"
In response to Reply # 5

Ryan M
43737 posts
Sat Jan-08-22 12:25 AM

7. "2 episodes in. This shit is flames. "
In response to Reply # 0

17x NBA Champions

Original Juice
2578 posts
Mon Jan-10-22 05:53 PM

8. "was just a matter of time before shrooms were introduced"
In response to Reply # 0

this the type of shit i was waiting for lol

Original Juice
2578 posts
Mon Jan-10-22 09:01 PM

9. "i may be way off base for this but.."
In response to Reply # 8

i really hope they don't end up eating shauna's baby. lol

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Fri Jan-14-22 02:57 PM

12. "I was wondering how they ended up doing demonic rituals and shit lol"
In response to Reply # 8

Ryan M
43737 posts
Fri Jan-14-22 08:05 PM

13. "I feel like"
In response to Reply # 12
Fri Jan-14-22 08:06 PM by Ryan M

They're probably going to separate into two factions and hunt each other for food or something.

I dunno. That schizophrenic girl is fucking CRAZY.

Now Travis has to go back and deal with the fact he just los his virginity on shrooms and then got sexually assaulted and hunted by nearly everyone else.

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Fri Jan-28-22 10:37 PM

20. "As a frequent mushroom user, I thought that was *ridiculous,* lol."
In response to Reply # 12

The orgy on shrooms? That I buy. Nat and the coach kicking it in the woods, talking about love? INCREDIBLY believable, lol.

But even a bad trip isn't going to make you and your tripping friends into a unified blood-thirsty hunting party, all visualizing the same person as a deer. Like... c'mon, lmao.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Ryan M
43737 posts
Fri Jan-14-22 01:52 AM

11. "Yeah, this show is gonna take off for Season 2. "
In response to Reply # 0

It’s drawing middling ratings right now - but the subreddit is growing and the streaming numbers are clearly there. Honestly - this feels like it’s gonna be one that many catch on to before season 2. If they really do have 5 seasons planned out - good. Because this has the potential to be a GREAT series or jump the shark by season 2/3 like Heroes/Lost.

17x NBA Champions

Ryan M
43737 posts
Sun Jan-16-22 01:02 AM

14. "Finale. "
In response to Reply # 0

Well…goddamn.

It’s on the Showtime app but whewwwwwwwwwww we’re set up for season 2.

17x NBA Champions

BrooklynWHAT
85056 posts
Mon Jan-17-22 04:53 PM

15. "ok but where's Javi tho"
In response to Reply # 14

they smooth just forgot all about him.

Ryan M
43737 posts
Mon Jan-17-22 06:57 PM

16. "I don’t think they did. "
In response to Reply # 15

He’s either dead (frozen or eaten by the bear) or hiding away. Either way, we know he’s dead because of that framed photo at the reunion. My guess is they’re trying not to fall into the same trap as Lost did with Walt and get rid of him before he ages too much.

17x NBA Champions

khn
Member since Jan 20th 2015
682 posts
Mon Jan-17-22 10:05 PM

17. "Fun, compelling, and pretty damn stupid *spoilers*"
In response to Reply # 0

*SPOOOOOOILERS*

(haven't read the book btw)

Jackie's death was a monumental letdown. So many interesting paths they could have gone down with her character, and that's how it ends? Weak.

Love how the current-day threads for Shauna and Misty are playing out. Taissa and Nat... ehhhh... we'll see.

Lottie ascendant. I'm with it.

And you just knew they weren't gonna go *there* quite yet. I bet we get some morsels (sorry) this time next season. Then shit really goes ham (sorry again) after.

Bring on S2.

Ryan M
43737 posts
Mon Jan-17-22 10:39 PM

18. "Ooooof. Couldn’t disagree more. "
In response to Reply # 17

(Spoilers obviously)

Jackie’s death was alluded to and foreshadowed a few times (most specifically - Tai’s line about falling asleep/freezing to death a few eps before and of course the attempted ‘freeze out’ of Allie in episode 1). IMO she was figuratively and literally frozen out of the group, which will now allow for maximum chaos as she seemed to be the only one keeping sane until she went nihilistic in the wake of finding out about Shauna and Jeff.

I dunno. I think it was a LITTLE bit of a leap to think she wouldnt go back inside due to her pride but uhhhhh she was just locked in a closet and saw a dude get raped/nearly murdered.

17x NBA Champions

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Fri Jan-28-22 10:46 PM

21. "Yeah, at least it was clearly foreshadowed."
In response to Reply # 18

It didn't come out of nowhere. One can definitely nitpick whether she would have truly stayed outside through all that-- because people who die by sleeping outside in the cold almost always go through a lengthy stretch of terrible shivering and inability to sleep first, and only really finally sleep once their ability to make rational decisions is gone. So maybe the execution could've been different or something. But it was definitely justified and built to.

I honestly thought the Christian girl's death was more unsatisfying. I realize they had to get rid of the Moral Voice in the woods... but the way they chose to do it was strange imo. How did that fire start in the passenger seat again? And if that tank was full of gas, do we really think they wouldn't have ever siphoned that somehow for fuel or whatever? Just all seemed to go down quickly and strangely that episode.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Fri Jan-28-22 10:27 PM

19. "In the minority who found this to be "fine, good enough, etc." (spoilers..."
In response to Reply # 0

Definitely some very nice moments, and a couple of great performances, but honestly thought it felt like eight episodes stretched into ten in a lot of spots. Contains a number of instances of my biggest pet peeve in shows like this: shows where everyone conveniently forgets or doesn't discuss a hugely important thing, because if they did, then they wouldn't be able to fill the episode allocation. I felt like it happened in a number of the plot lines. After nearly every episode, my wife and I were almost always running down a list of "but why didn't they talk about X?" or "did they just forget about Y?"

Like, the biggest example of this: I was blown away at how quickly none of them thought "but wait, who killed Travis?" in the last couple episodes. The evidence that someone burned candles and then took them away-- in the FORM OF THE FUCKING SHAPE-- is incontrovertible, right? They saw that symbol in the woods, they saw it under Travis in the form of candles... seems like they should have no reason to doubt that a murder happened there. But then, when Jeff spills his guts about the blackmail, Shauna never says, "but hey, did you kill Travis?" And when they're chopping up Adam, and Shauna and Tai are insinuating that Travis just killed himself... Misty knows at this point that Travis's bank was closed after his death, and Natalie knows from Misty as well. Why doesn't anyone bring this up? And it's *baffling* to me that Natalie would just accept "oh, they're right, he just killed himself." BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CANDLES THO?? Like, the only reason to not have anyone address that ever is to save the reveal for the very last scene of the season. I felt like this sort of thing happened a number of times.

Also, I know this isn't fair to Yellowjackets... but for a show borrowing pretty heavily from Lost in a lot of ways, it's just... not Lost. Like, I rewatched Lost a year or two ago, and holy fuck, it's exceptional television. So while watching most of this, with the episode structure, and the "will this wilderness let us leave?" angle, and the people seeing things, and the ending with the Others surrogate... it just ended up with so many shadows of Lost without being better than Lost that the seams just felt a little more apparent to me.

Maybe I'll keep at it to see how the second season starts. The flashbacks are pretty increasingly disinteresting to me, as we know for the most part where all of that is headed and have for some time, but there's still some interesting mystery around the present-day stuff. And it's a good show to have a week between episodes to build conversation-- so even if I'm not as over the moon as others, I like that this style of show is coming back into fashion.

Ryan M
43737 posts
Mon Jan-31-22 06:23 PM

22. "To your biggest concern- I think we have to find out more."
In response to Reply # 19

(spoilers obviously)

I can understand the complaint - but we don't know if a) Lottie is actually alive and b) whether or not she is - we don't know if the others know about what seems to be a cult. I'm not saying you're wrong in theory...but Lottie's story here is going to be key in understanding why they were vague as shit here.

The thing about Lost - and I understand the comparisons - is that it so very clearly did not know how to land the fucking plane. Was it compelling? Yes! Did they know what they were doing after season 2? No! Every revelation and character in season 2 was dead/gone by the end of it - Mr. Ecko, the new hatch, etc. It was all for nothing - and that's when I knew it was going to be a rough fucking ending. And it was.

Yellowjackets certainly has flaws - what doesnt? - but I'll give it this: they didn't even get to the cannibalism. We ASSUME it's cannibalism, but we don't even really know THAT yet. That gives me hope it's actually got an arc with a finish line. Lindelof and Cuse kept saying everything was going to be scientifically explained in Lost and uhhhhh that was never said again.

17x NBA Champions

will_5198
Charter member
63107 posts
Sun Feb-06-22 07:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
23. "I'm with you (but not for your main reasons)"

I really thought it was going to a limited 10-episode series. shocked the showrunners are planning on 40 more hours -- the way they are using flashbacks doesn't leave much more meat on the bone from the crash (and I disagree; that's the most interesting part of the show).

love the high school and adult versions of the actresses. love that the show's viewpoint is guided by women (one of the first scenes is Jackie having to fake an orgasm and go above and beyond to placate her selfish boyfriend). don't care if the characters do dumb shit. I just figured I'd get to the finish line after 10 hours, and not sure there is enough plotted out to keep going.

--------

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Feb-07-22 05:10 PM

24. "You're probably on to something."
In response to Reply # 23

Several of my issues I may not even have perceived as issues if I thought the show was coming to an end any time soon.

>the way they are using flashbacks doesn't leave much more meat on the bone from the crash (and I disagree; that's the most interesting part of the show).

I don't think I was clear above-- I like your turn of phrase "meat on the bone," not just because that's hilarious in regards to this show, but I think it's why I started to feel myself tuning out that half of things, because I found myself increasingly more drawn to the half where I don't know what's coming, where they can build more mystery, and where I think there's a lot more potential going forward. I didn't really know what else could happen in the woods, other than more of the same.

I want them to utilize those young actresses, because they've all been really good. I just... don't know much of what's left. Especially if-- and this is my fear-- it just becomes "we get to know this person more, we watch them cruelly die in some sort of way" etc. My hope for Season 2 is that we spend less time seeing the actresses in flashback in the woods and more time in flashback immediately after their rescue-- or in some sort of realm beyond increasingly miserable wilderness horror that just slowly builds to inevitable cannibalism.

dgonsh
Member since Aug 14th 2002
10693 posts
Fri Feb-11-22 04:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "im sympathetic to this perspective"

I am a big fan of season 1 but am VERY against this going 4 or 5 seasons. 3 feels like the max.

This is a show, like lost, I'm very confident the showrunners know exactly where they want to land. But I really dont have faith that they can carry this into 40-50 hours of television...UNLESS they completely abandon the direction we think its going and flash forward a half-decade/decade every season. I wouldnt mind seeing where these charaters are at end of college, at 30 and ultimately where they are now ~45ish.

Casting clearly knows what theyre doing, and the casting porn has been one of the most endearing and interesting aspects to the fandom of the show.

Like Lost, once I realized (and if the posts exist from back then in PTP/Reviews, I'd be curious to check myself) that Lindelof/Cuse knew what they were doing, I kinda stopped caring about the mysteries of the island. I just loved the hang and the writing. Which Lindelof CLEARLY learned too and put into his very lean series that have followed.

Some people couldnt un-reddit-brain/Doc Jensen themselves from the LOST "mysteries" and I know people that wont watch Lindelof shows because of Lost's tricks/"lies"/red herrings.

Back to Yellowjackets. I already miss this show. I love the woods scenese, I love the performances, I dont care at all about the mysticism. I hope its all nonsense and just a symptom of trauma. To be honest, I've been very "lets fast forward" through some of the Adam stuff, and the Taissa and her marriage/son scenes. I dont like them. I love what Taissa old/young are doing performance-wise but I really check out during her horror scenes.

If this becomes a show about ghosts and mystic powers, I'm genuinely not interested. But I love cults (lottie's minions) and the will of humans when in survival mode.

And I love Melanie Lynskey.

"I *always* quote myself. I'm the only reliable source on *most* subjects" - OKP's First Lady of Knowledge, Janey

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sun May-28-23 03:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
26. "binged season 2. "
In response to Reply # 0

theres just too many things going on at once. especially with the two timelines and multiple characters stories within both timelines.

im not even sure what the show is going for.

i might check back in a few seasons down the road if the reviews get better. but im out for now.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Wed May-31-23 11:57 AM

27. "Season 2 *spoilers*"
In response to Reply # 0

My God, what more can they do to Javi?
Didn't see that death coming to the last minute.
Are they ever gonna address that most of this is directly Missy fault?

Like their experience out there really fucked it up, and it would have been SOOOOO much shorter had she not done that.

Do they know?

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742567 Previous topic | Next topic