Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742245

Subject: "Squid Game (Netflix)" Previous topic | Next topic
JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 02:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Squid Game (Netflix)"

Didn't see a post so I thought I'd drop it. Social Media has blown the series up and I have to say it lives to the hype. Really great edge of your seat thriller and a great new entrance into horror/game genre.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dae was just telling me about this shit.
Sep 30th 2021
It sounded like something Takashi Miike had already done
Oct 01st 2021
Its great. Took me a while to click it because...
Oct 01st 2021
pulls you in after an episode
Oct 02nd 2021
native korean speakers suggest the translation quality
Oct 03rd 2021
      the translation falls off in the english dub, the subs, or both?
Oct 04th 2021
           Both
Oct 04th 2021
                the dubbing was different than the subtitles
Oct 14th 2021
It peaks at Episode 6 and is kind of a let down after
Oct 04th 2021
Agreed, though that’s a testament to how dope episode 6 was.
Oct 12th 2021
      Forgot to mention - woulda cut out the VIPs too…
Oct 12th 2021
      Completely agree.
Oct 13th 2021
           that subplot isnt finished yet
Oct 13th 2021
           Yeah - that's the only possible benefit, set up for season 2.
Oct 13th 2021
           reminded me of The Stepfather
Nov 09th 2021
started well but got formulaic / soapy very quickly
Oct 30th 2021

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Thu Sep-30-21 03:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Dae was just telling me about this shit."
In response to Reply # 0

I'ma peep it soon.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 08:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It sounded like something Takashi Miike had already done"
In response to Reply # 0

so I passed on it.

------------------
One Hundred.

KnowOne
Charter member
39945 posts
Fri Oct-01-21 09:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Its great. Took me a while to click it because..."
In response to Reply # 0

it looked like a Alice in Borderland knockoff. But the story is great. Definitely see themes (and even games) they pulled from Borderland, the anime Kaiji, and the movie Battle Royale. But still unique enough to be enjoyable.

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sat Oct-02-21 05:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "pulls you in after an episode"
In response to Reply # 0

but it runs out of material while it takes the long way to the ending "reveal". not sure what was lost in translation, but even the dialog seems to repeat itself just so the mid-to-late episodes hit their 50 minutes (and one is barely a half hour).

amazing to see a subtitled Korean series be the most popular show worldwide for a week, however. would never happen with old media.

--------

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Sun Oct-03-21 08:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "native korean speakers suggest the translation quality"
In response to Reply # 4

falls off in later episodes

I'm not sure why, but this has been a problem for netflix

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Hitokiri
Charter member
22106 posts
Mon Oct-04-21 08:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "the translation falls off in the english dub, the subs, or both?"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon Oct-04-21 08:32 AM by Hitokiri

I switched to subs 2 minutes into the show.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Mon Oct-04-21 09:12 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Both"
In response to Reply # 6

The dubs are just the voice actors reading the subs. I have a Korean co-worker and she was saying the translations are bad and you miss some stuff. You'd think with netflix putting out so much non-english content that they'd spend a little more money on getting proper translations going. Right not it's like the subs I used to see on anime I'd download from bit-torrent back in the early 00's

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Thu Oct-14-21 01:00 PM

14. "the dubbing was different than the subtitles"
In response to Reply # 7

I heard this complaint about translation being off and i watched with both subtitles and dubbing. The subtitles seemed like a google translation of dialogue or even a first draft before it got cleaned up for reading too robotic. The dubbing was way better. But yeah my korean friend said it was all around bad. Both were not good translations.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Melanism
Charter member
20450 posts
Mon Oct-04-21 09:54 AM

8. "It peaks at Episode 6 and is kind of a let down after"
In response to Reply # 0

It was still a fun watch.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Oct-12-21 08:41 PM

9. "Agreed, though that’s a testament to how dope episode 6 was. "
In response to Reply # 8

From a pacing standpoint it would have been great if episode 6 was the penultimate episode, with one long episode following it as a finale.

But that episode and everything about the marble game was absolutely FLAWLESS. Every partner pair had an absolutely gut wrenching story, just beautifully well done. But to your point - if they are gonna have that much happen at that point, they needed to bring it on home afterwards. No need for so much time between 001 losing and the reveal. Showing him from behind as the host made the reveal completely obvious. Up to that point is was perfect with the subtle hints, but they shouldn’t have given anything else between 001’s death and the reveal.

To make this work they could have completely cut out the policeman subplot with trying to find his brother. The stuff that happened in that subplot was probably the most unrealistic of the show, and that’s saying a LOT. How did NO ONE find him out in that right operation, with him switching uniforms and personas and effing up on his “job” the whole time? How did his cell phone still have a charge after all that time, and taking video?and after all that it was pointless - there was never a connection between him and the main characters, and they could have done a reveal about the front man being a former winner without ever having his brother involved.

Cut that out, and you could fit episodes 7-9 into one long finale. Episode 8 was only 30 minutes anyways. Maybe also cut out the final dinner, and condense it down by having Sang Woo kill Sae-byeok right after the glass bridge, back to back after pushing the other dude off, for his full transition to evil mode before the last game.

All that being said, great watch as it was, and honestly the predictability and somewhat let down of the ending was just due to how great episode 6 was and where it fell in the season.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Tue Oct-12-21 10:40 PM

10. "Forgot to mention - woulda cut out the VIPs too…"
In response to Reply # 9

If they cut the police brother subplot to tighten it up after Ep 6 they could have naturally cut out the goofy VIPs. Definitely the worst acting and dialogue of the show. I do get that it may have been intentional to make the Americans over the top stereotypes in the same way Hollywood has traditionally made Asian characters exaggerated stereotypes, but still took away from the show.

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44258 posts
Wed Oct-13-21 10:21 AM

11. "Completely agree."
In response to Reply # 9

The funny thing about the policeman subplot is, what did it amount to?

For all the time we spent on that shit, what was the pay off again? He was in on it? That's it?

pffft.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85073 posts
Wed Oct-13-21 11:22 AM

12. "that subplot isnt finished yet"
In response to Reply # 11

we saw him get shot not die. dollars to donuts he will be back

<--- Big Baller World Order

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Wed Oct-13-21 11:26 AM

13. "Yeah - that's the only possible benefit, set up for season 2."
In response to Reply # 12

That subplot also let us know that the games have been happening for 30+ years, and introduced the VIPs, but none of that went anywhere and could have been handled with a quick mention.

I read in an article somewhere that the policeman subplot wasn't in the writer's original draft from 2009, so maybe they added it to make the season longer. Which gets back to my point of episode 6 having been better positioned as the penultimate episode before a finale in episode 7.

tully_blanchard
Charter member
6902 posts
Tue Nov-09-21 08:14 AM

16. "reminded me of The Stepfather"
In response to Reply # 11

How the dude spent the whole movie looking for the guy who killed his sister, and when he finds him he gets killed, LMAO

Fuck aliens

-Warriorpoet415

#2dopebrothersandastackofwax

https://www.instagram.com/bobgeorge87

https://www.instagram.com/thirtythree.three/

beeinfinite
Member since Oct 20th 2021
195 posts
Sat Oct-30-21 08:27 AM

15. "started well but got formulaic / soapy very quickly"
In response to Reply # 0

lost interest at around the mid way point of season 1 and never went back.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742245 Previous topic | Next topic