Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742185

Subject: ""Foundation" (Apple+TV)" Previous topic | Next topic
Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Sep-26-21 12:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Foundation" (Apple+TV)"

gorgeous....

1st 2 eps. Just gorgeous. the visuals are a sci-fi feast.
im intrigued & engaged so far. (I have not read the source material, so can't say whether its true to that or not), but so far, after 2 eps, I'm in and very curious....

have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Agree, visually incredible. I’ve read the source material
Sep 26th 2021
I've never seen a TV series this gorgeous to look at.
Sep 27th 2021
RE: "Foundation" (Apple+TV)
Sep 28th 2021
I am really into this show. Hits differently Post Trump
Oct 13th 2021
This show is holding up solidly so far....
Oct 16th 2021
ya'll still watching?
Oct 31st 2021
Yeah man, really enjoying.
Nov 01st 2021
RE: ya'll still watching? (spoilers)
Nov 08th 2021
I feel it's just okay.
Nov 08th 2021
      RE: I feel it's just okay.
Nov 08th 2021
           100% on three different show ls
Nov 08th 2021
                RE: 100% on three different show ls
Nov 09th 2021
Episode 8 is serious water treading.
Nov 11th 2021
im in for season2....
Nov 22nd 2021
The Empire Storyline was the fiyah. (maybe spoilerish)
Nov 22nd 2021
Loved it. Binged it.
Dec 13th 2021
about to finish Season 2. Man!
Oct 23rd 2023
RE: about to finish Season 2. Man!
Oct 24th 2023
heck yeah, Sareth and her #2 were great
Oct 24th 2023
      RE: heck yeah, Sareth and her #2 were great
Oct 25th 2023
Huge step up from season 1
Oct 25th 2023
One of the best shows out there right now.
Oct 26th 2023
Wow I binged most of Season 2 in a day. (spoilers)
Oct 31st 2023

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Sun Sep-26-21 05:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Agree, visually incredible. I’ve read the source material"
In response to Reply # 0

And I have a very hard time thinking it would make for good television. But I like the idea of just taking it as a temple or “ foundation” to riff from. Like there’s no reason to be fully loyal and consistent to the source material as that would definitely be boring and tough to pull off.

That said, I love Jared Harris, so that’s enough to pull me in. I also like Lee Pace, and he’s doing some work here. Like the young lady too (don't think she exists in the original novel)

I’m Two episodes in and I’m still sticking around. Not sure there’s enough action to keep the general audience interested though. Gonna watch episode 3 tonight, ending ofepisode 2 has me intrigued.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon Sep-27-21 01:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I've never seen a TV series this gorgeous to look at. "
In response to Reply # 0

Like the world building is on a whole other level.

Like its pure sci-fi eye candy. Good call on deviating on the source material. Asimov isn't known for his visual descriptiveness.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Tue Sep-28-21 02:17 PM

3. "RE: "Foundation" (Apple+TV)"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes, beautifully shot and rendered. The costumes/wardrobe is impeccable (except for that blue jacket Raych be sporting lol).

I really like how this and other Apple TV shows can be mature and dramatic without being overly gratuitous like content of similar quality on HBO or Netflix.

They certainly have my attention with this one.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Wed Oct-13-21 11:58 AM

4. "I am really into this show. Hits differently Post Trump"
In response to Reply # 0

I read some of the novels and though I loved them it didn't resonate the idea of a prosperous empire eventually declining. There was even a book out at the time I read it call the end of history and the theory was we were in a period of unending prosperity.

Anyway, now that it feels like we are watching this country's decline in real time, this show resonates more.

I tried to get my kids to watch it and it was probably too boring for them. Not a lot of action yet, but a lot is going on. Felt like grown-up sci-fi.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sat Oct-16-21 01:13 AM

5. "This show is holding up solidly so far...."
In response to Reply # 0

...each ep gets me invested more and more, and the visual presentation has maintained its high quality too...

its more than just the visuals though, im intrigued by the story/themes that seem to be at play, and impressed with a lot of the cast...

one of the shows we look forward to each week...

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Oct-31-21 09:56 PM

6. "ya'll still watching? "
In response to Reply # 0

Latest ep was really good...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon Nov-01-21 10:45 AM

7. "Yeah man, really enjoying. "
In response to Reply # 6

All good arcs and can't wait for each episode to drop. Really wasn't expecting it to be this good.

Original Juice
2578 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 01:48 AM

8. "RE: ya'll still watching? (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 6

Yup.
This show is dope.

Loved the performance of the actress who
played Zephyr Halima. Kinda bummed about how that concluded, but it was a really great 2 episodes.. It kinda brought out the old GoT feels for me..

Glad Gaal and Hari are still a part of the story.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 06:13 AM

9. "I feel it's just okay."
In response to Reply # 6

I feel like there are too few truly compelling characters and some of the direction is just hokey, especially the battle scenes with the Anacreons. Who look stupid to boot.

I'm still in though. Production values are great, some of the concepts intriguing and it's moving at a decent pace now.

Original Juice
2578 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 12:37 PM

10. "RE: I feel it's just okay."
In response to Reply # 9

>I feel like there are too few truly compelling characters and
>some of the direction is just hokey, especially the battle
>scenes with the Anacreons. Who look stupid to boot.
>
>I'm still in though. Production values are great, some of the
>concepts intriguing and it's moving at a decent pace now.

The 3 primary characters from the first episode (Day, Gaal, and Hari) are my favorites. The rest are okay.

I really enjoyed Zephyr Halima, but you know... she transitioned pretty early. Her scenes with Day and especially her eulogy in the 2nd to the last episode were all amazing.. that's some good acting and writing right there.

It's like 3 different shows at this point. The Empire stuff is on some Game of Thrones type shit which I enjoy. The Hari/Gaal stuff is some cool Trekkie-ish fare.. but the Terminus/Anacreon stuff is some of my least favorite. It's very SyFy channel.. from the acting to the production.

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Mon Nov-08-21 04:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "100% on three different show ls"
In response to Reply # 10

>It's like 3 different shows at this point. The Empire stuff
>is on some Game of Thrones type shit which I enjoy. The
>Hari/Gaal stuff is some cool Trekkie-ish fare.. but the
>Terminus/Anacreon stuff is some of my least favorite. It's
>very SyFy channel.. from the acting to the production.
>

The problem is, as you state, the last one is terrible.

And to be honest the 2nd 1 with Gaal has really gone down and lost momentum. Emporer show still bangs though, but it might just be Lee Pace's buxom tittays carying it at this point. As an aside, I've never had a stronger urge to get back to bench pressing again, than after this last episode

Original Juice
2578 posts
Tue Nov-09-21 12:06 AM

12. "RE: 100% on three different show ls"
In response to Reply # 11

Emporer show still bangs though, but it might
>just be Lee Pace's buxom tittays carying it at this point. As
>an aside, I've never had a stronger urge to get back to bench
>pressing again, than after this last episode

LMAO

got u doin pushups and shit

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Thu Nov-11-21 12:00 PM

13. "Episode 8 is serious water treading. "
In response to Reply # 0

The Gaal and Hari stuff is a waste of screen time. I hate any tv drama that can be easily resolved if the right people just talk and share info. Having Gaal sidelined is annoying, she was my favorite.

The Eto Demerzel stuff is very good. Her scene with Halima was dope and teasing the backstory of what happened to robots was cool. But Brother Day is a terrible actor and him walking all messed up made me laugh for the wrong reasons.

The spaceship stuff was annoying because it doesn't make sense. Salvor isn't going to help those people destroy trantor with a trillion people just to save her mother. She makes no sense as a hostage.

At any rate when you slow down the action this much people tend to nick pick what does happen and they need to pick this up.

They made a whole season out of what was like only 75 pages in the book.

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Nov-22-21 01:57 AM

14. "im in for season2...."
In response to Reply # 0

...as far as im concerned, they 'stuck the landing' in the last ep of season 1...

without givin any spoilers, i will say that one 'twist' i assumed from the get go, while the other 'twist' i didnt see coming.

i do love the world building here, and o man is this thing straight up gorgeous. Sci-fi wise, its really a feast for the eyes, so if you're looking for your space-future-visuals fix on tv, THIS is where its AT.

i am invested in the storylines & the cast is mostly really good too.... so yeah, you can count me in on season2.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Mon Nov-22-21 09:51 AM

15. "The Empire Storyline was the fiyah. (maybe spoilerish)"
In response to Reply # 0

No Spoilers but I have never seen a punishment for anything in all of tv/film/literature as brutal as the one dropped in the finale by Empire. That storyline had some great surprises.

The Trantor storyline was disappointing. The return of Seldon was anticlimatic AF. Like they jammed a lot of backstory into a speech and how they resolved the crisis was weak.

I also didn't like what they did with Salvor Hardin. The whole, "Am I special?" storyline is silly to me. She should have been more of a badass then she turned out to be. Like what did she actually do to resolve the crisis?

Anyway, I am doing a lot of hating but I will of course, love to see a season 2.

But that punishment though. Damn.

jetblack
Member since Nov 14th 2004
44804 posts
Mon Dec-13-21 09:52 PM

16. "Loved it. Binged it."
In response to Reply # 0

Can't wait for the second season.

---
Stoicism and chill.
---
Stay +.
---

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Mon Oct-23-23 11:29 AM

17. "about to finish Season 2. Man!"
In response to Reply # 0

Season 2 got the level up it needed. I fell asleep at times during Season 1 but i remained intrigued by the story and the overall theme. And I love the fact that time itself is kind of a character in the story.

Season 2 is doing a lot with that theme and then some.
Will probably finish the finale tonight.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Tue Oct-24-23 12:53 AM

18. "RE: about to finish Season 2. Man!"
In response to Reply # 17

Season 2 definitely leveled up!

It was sooo good. Sareth became my new favorite character. But she was getting a little too froggy at the end. Still, I'm glad she survived.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

jdub1313
Charter member
4732 posts
Tue Oct-24-23 02:10 PM

19. "heck yeah, Sareth and her #2 were great"
In response to Reply # 18

I kept feeling like they were a bit naive and I was hoping they would deal a blow to Empire. I guess they kinda did, lol.

Bel Riose for me though. His whole story line, and then the last two eps are what prompted me to up this post. Crazy.

One of the things I loved about this show was the idea around Salvor and Gaal. It could have been about Hari Seldon and I guess it still is, ultimately. I'm glad Salvor got to show us more this season and Gaal still Neo lol. 152 years in the future its about to go down.

nipsey
Charter member
9924 posts
Wed Oct-25-23 10:56 PM

21. "RE: heck yeah, Sareth and her #2 were great"
In response to Reply # 19

>Bel Riose for me though. His whole story line, and then the
>last two eps are what prompted me to up this post. Crazy.

His storyline was great and he was a dope character.

>One of the things I loved about this show was the idea around
>Salvor and Gaal. It could have been about Hari Seldon and I
>guess it still is, ultimately. I'm glad Salvor got to show us
>more this season and Gaal still Neo lol. 152 years in the
>future its about to go down.

I love how they weren't afraid to have two Black woman leads. The show is remarkably diverse and I love that. I don't want to believe that's the end of Salvor though. I want to see more of her character.

Last 3 things I watched:

The Changeling Season 1 (Apple+): C
OMITB Season 3 (Hulu): B-
Ahsoka Season 1 (Disney

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Wed Oct-25-23 08:59 AM

20. "Huge step up from season 1"

Really enjoyed this season. Acting, writing, packing all got significantly better

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8613 posts
Thu Oct-26-23 01:06 PM

22. "One of the best shows out there right now."

I liked the first season, but the second was amazing.

Cool that even tough it strays away from Asimov's texts, it still has the spirit of them.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue Oct-31-23 09:20 AM

23. "Wow I binged most of Season 2 in a day. (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

First episode left me meh but you all's good response for the season as a whole lead me back.

There was not a new character they introduced in this season I did not enjoy (and they introduced a lot of new characters).

When she first appeared, didn't figure Brother Constant would end up being my biggest crush of the season.

The Empire stuff has always been the strongest part of the show (which is a bit of a shame sense its not even in the books) and it didn't let down. And the robot stuff, Demerzel's backstory in episode 8 or 9 was great!!

I think the weakest thing for me was the multiple Hari's and having him come back to flesh. It got hard to keep track.

I also don't think there is a lot of dramatic tension in the idea that Salvor Hardin was going to die in 150 years.

Another minor complaint is that in the book, as I recall, none of the crisis' were left to chance. That's the whole point of psychohistory, certain things are inevitable. but it didn't seems like that in the series. I get why not. It would probably be a bit boring if none of the characters actually changed the arch of the story but yeah.

THose complaints aside they did a good job of having less filler and making everything matter (aside from killing that Warden for no reason).

I don't think it's a great series, but it is a pretty good series.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #742185 Previous topic | Next topic