Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #741649

Subject: "Adventure Time: Distant Lands (2020-2021)" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Tue Jul-13-21 08:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Adventure Time: Distant Lands (2020-2021)"

Anybody watching these? They've been reliably funny and weird and heartbreaking and joyous and I kind of can't wait for whatever is in store for the fourth installment. The ending of the proper series was genuinely remarkable, all of the above adjectives but cobbled together with this incredible confidence in the value of fragments as a means of storytelling.

This show makes me so happy that I feel uncomfortable praising it by comparing it positively to other series or franchises, but this one feels specific enough to indulge. World-building seems like such an important emphasis in young adult and fantasy and sci-fi storytelling, and I definitely get the emphasis because those genres require telling a story and doing it from scratch, in terms of setting and environment. I'm not a creative person but that seems very difficult. Reasonably, the emphasis on world-building is typically on thoroughness - covering the built world horizontally with language and/or culture and politics and technology and religion. Detailed, rigorous, a nearly anthropological approach to fictitious worlds. That's fine, such as it is. And when it's done well people really seem to like it. But it's always left me cold because it's not really how I think most people (I'm just an expert of my own opinion on that, so if I have to backtrack to "me" instead of "most people" then that's fine) engage with their world. I float through days with huge, detailed awareness of somethings and complete ignorance of others - so even the really elegantly handled world-building ends up looking like this snowballing didacticism.

But Adventure Time never really tried to make you drink from a firehose. Finn and Jake are hugely important in Ooo but represent just a tiny corner of it. They're aware, to varying degrees of the other corners - and those corners are filled out with similarly varying degrees of completeness. It's a world of fragments, not wholes. And that works too because of the central fragmentation of the literal world, that's in varying (again) stages of post-apocalyptic diffusion. We get fed fragments of a fragmentary world - leaving only necessities like relationships and emotions to latch onto.

Anyhow, "Together Again" made me cry like a baby. The people who made this are free. They're not bound to anything, and the result is really beautiful.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I love everything Adventure Time.
Jul 16th 2021
I think more Finn & Jake is in the cards for the last one?
Jul 25th 2021
      SU is less serialized,
Jul 27th 2021
Do I need to finish the main run of Adventure Time before watching these...
Jul 22nd 2021
Honestly, I think it would help
Jul 25th 2021

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Fri Jul-16-21 10:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I love everything Adventure Time."
In response to Reply # 0

People praise the shit out of Steven Universe (deservedly so...) but I don't think they really get what Adventure Time is doing in terms of theme.

Together Again, got me too, and really made me want more Finn & Jake.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Sun Jul-25-21 01:01 PM

4. "I think more Finn & Jake is in the cards for the last one?"
In response to Reply # 1

>People praise the shit out of Steven Universe (deservedly
>so...) but I don't think they really get what Adventure Time
>is doing in terms of theme.

That's exactly what I was trying to articulate - that Adventure Time has a breadth of scope that I've never encountered in a television show.

Can you say some more about Steven Universe? I tried my hardest a few times and I did enjoy it, but it didn't grab me the same way that it seems to grab other people. Did I not watch enough? Or am I missing something?

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Tue Jul-27-21 12:35 PM

5. "SU is less serialized,"
In response to Reply # 4

Also, the theme is a bit less consistent / obvious, but towards the middle to the end it hits it's stride.

It was definitely worth sticking with, however there is SO much good TV. I don't see any need to waste time on anything that isn't holding your attention.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2989 posts
Thu Jul-22-21 03:39 PM

2. "Do I need to finish the main run of Adventure Time before watching these..."
In response to Reply # 0

I'm in the middle of Season 6, trying to finish the entire thing before watching this

Bandcamp/IG/FB/Twitter: @hecticzeniths

Walleye
Charter member
15521 posts
Sun Jul-25-21 12:59 PM

3. "Honestly, I think it would help"
In response to Reply # 2

It's not strictly necessary because it's set extremely far after the events of the season finale. So if you get impatient, it won't be a huge issue. But I think that you may enjoy it more if you finish.

I hope that makes sense.

--Walleye's Dad

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #741649 Previous topic | Next topic