Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #741581

Subject: "No Sudden Move (Soderbergh HBO 2021)...Cot Damn!" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Thu Jul-08-21 02:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"No Sudden Move (Soderbergh HBO 2021)...Cot Damn!"

Man Soderbergh is finally now one of my top 5 (or maybe 7) directors based on this film.

I wasn't quite sure what I was watching through out, was often confused, but was literally sitting on the edge of my seat the entire movie.

Imagine Ocean's 11 with a ton of bricks more weight.

For everyone who loved how Don Cheadle eats up the screen in Devil In the Blue Dress, consider this the spin-off to that movie where we revisit Mousey 20 years later.

I had a couple of minor gripes that come easy for me when a white guy shoots a period piece with black people during segregation. Mainly, I don't see a black guy being allowed to have a sit down dinner with white people in a fancy white restaurant.

But damn if Soderbergh didn't capture Detroit architecture and style from the era (or I guess how I imagine it, what do I know).

The convoluted plot is great because it gives me a good reason to rewatch it.

Easily the best movie I've seen this year.

HBOMax is a problem for Netflix and Amazon Prime, Hulu because I can't see those other streamers producing anything nearly as good with such star power (assuming that Soderbergh and the stars aren't pissed at HBO Max for going straight to streamer with this).

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I kept forgetting that was Brendan Fraser
Jul 08th 2021
HBOMax is better than Netflix to me right now.
Jul 08th 2021
Yea cheadle killed it
Jul 08th 2021
Was a great time
Jul 08th 2021
HBO Max is number 1. Once they fix their app they are God-Level.
Jul 08th 2021
Soderbergh DGAF about theatrical anymore
Jul 12th 2021
HOLY SHIT was this good!
Jul 13th 2021

rdhull
Charter member
33133 posts
Thu Jul-08-21 03:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I kept forgetting that was Brendan Fraser "
In response to Reply # 0

He's changed a lot.

Soldado
Member since Apr 13th 2006
572 posts
Thu Jul-08-21 03:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "HBOMax is better than Netflix to me right now."
In response to Reply # 0

I rarely watch older content like legacy shows and movies. But that HBOMax catalog actually had me checking out a few things.

And original content? HBOMax is in a class of its own right now. Obviously, most of that is boosted tremendously by theatrical releases going straight to streaming with no additional fee. So we will see how they keep that momentum up next year and beyond.

---

grey
Member since Apr 04th 2003
2231 posts
Thu Jul-08-21 03:50 PM

3. "Yea cheadle killed it "
In response to Reply # 0

Mouse probly my fav performance of his and this def got the same vibes.

Still got lovers rock as my fav this year but I enjoyed it.

*Spoiler(?)* Damon was good too in his small role. Felt ripley-ish.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Thu Jul-08-21 04:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Was a great time"
In response to Reply # 0

Loved the Detroit setting, fat Brendan Fraser and the overall tension of it.

I thought the same thing about Mouse because i re-watched Devil in a Blue Dress for the first time in a decade about a month back.

Sofian_Hadi
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
5628 posts
Thu Jul-08-21 10:58 PM

5. "HBO Max is number 1. Once they fix their app they are God-Level."
In response to Reply # 0

Their content just cant be touched, and their new movie releases (without the extra $30 Disney-type charge) is killing it right now.

---------------------------------------

"The world is before you and you need not take it or leave it as it was when you came in." - James Baldwin

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Jul-12-21 11:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Soderbergh DGAF about theatrical anymore"
In response to Reply # 0

He's still firing on all cylinders so it's not "noticeable" or whatever but he made a choice about a decade ago that he was tired of fighting through Hollywood red tape and just wanted to be a working director shooting movies and getting them in front of as many people as possible.

Logan Lucky and Unsane are the only movies he's put in theaters since 2013, and even as far back as Che he was cutting weird deals with IFC/Blockbuster to get his movie into homes as soon as possible.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

spades
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
44257 posts
Tue Jul-13-21 01:57 PM

7. "HOLY SHIT was this good!"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm so impressed.

Get Out The Room!
http://getouttheroom.podomatic.com
@fakewilliamkatt

"You probably wouldn't worry about what people think of you if you could know how seldom they do!" - Olin Miller

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #741581 Previous topic | Next topic