Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #741554

Subject: "The Fear Street series (Netflix, 2021)" Previous topic | Next topic
Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Fri Jul-02-21 07:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Fear Street series (Netflix, 2021)"
Fri Jul-02-21 07:36 PM by Options

I was intrigued by the format they're going with (an interconnected series told across three parts, each set in a different year/era), so I decided to check it out even though slasher flicks aren't my thing.

Part 1: 1994
They're obviously leaning HARD into the nostalgia angle. Right from the jump there's basically a rapid-fire playlist of grunge-era MTV hits. IMO, *ish got annoying fast; I almost jumped ship before the story even began.

So I started off sour on it, but once things get going and the characters are fleshed out more, it was decent enough and I actually cared a little bit by the end. Some of the crucial scenes regarding the backbone of the plot were murky and could've been presented better, I think, but I wasn't confused by anything. It seemed to be kinda light on kills, so when things really started getting real toward the end, it was a bit of a surprise. again, I'm not a horror fan, so I'm not sure how closely this follows genre tropes.

I didn't love it, but I'll probably give Part II a go — I'll just mute the first few minutes while they Suicide Squad an entire NOW! album into the soundtrack.

One more thing: despite the flurry of references and me being practically the same age as the protagonists in 1994, I felt almost NO nostalgia from this at all. all except for the cheerleader, Kate, who reminded me of a major high school crush I could've got with if I'd played my cards right... *sigh*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I watched it. I'm out after 1 installment.
Jul 02nd 2021
RE: I watched it. I'm out after 1 installment.
Jul 02nd 2021

Soldado
Member since Apr 13th 2006
572 posts
Fri Jul-02-21 08:23 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I watched it. I'm out after 1 installment."
In response to Reply # 0

I love horror. I love slasher flicks. I love nostalgic/throwback horror flicks.

This was just cheesy and superficial teenie bopper stuff. The sound editing was brutal and wince-inducing. The music, abrupt cuts, the jump scare violin sounds or whatever they're called, etc.

Outside of the Mike Flanagan stuff, Netflix has been pretty bad for horror. There's some entertaining modest-budget stuff coming out of Shudder though.

---

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Fri Jul-02-21 08:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: I watched it. I'm out after 1 installment."
In response to Reply # 1

you didn't like the jump scare violin sounds in this particular movie, or altogether?

I don't like jump scares, period, haha. I was shocked when Jordan Peele used them in his films, as I figured he was above that kinda thing. since then, I assumed they were standard for horror, like a cheesy genre mainstay (regardless of budget) that people just accept. but yeah, they need to be retired.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #741554 Previous topic | Next topic