Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #741359

Subject: "Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Andy Serkis, 2021)" Previous topic | Next topic
bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8614 posts
Mon May-10-21 09:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Andy Serkis, 2021)"

The first was dogshit so I'm not expecting much from this one either.

https://twitter.com/VenomMovie/status/1391739806305198080?s=19

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It's whatever, I'm just here for the Eddie/Venom odd couple
May 11th 2021
^^^^^^^
May 11th 2021
I dunno, man. This doesn't really get me hyped
May 11th 2021
Here's why I'm not into this movie yet
May 19th 2021
I think Eddie trying to tame Venom's worst instincts works
May 19th 2021
RE: Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Andy Serkis, 2021)
May 25th 2021
The pros and cons are about equal.
Oct 02nd 2021
Agreed on all accounts
Dec 18th 2021

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Tue May-11-21 11:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It's whatever, I'm just here for the Eddie/Venom odd couple"
In response to Reply # 0

Because that's about as much fun as anything in genre. I'd love a great movie behind it, but I don't really expect it, or even care, as long as we get a good dose of Eddie and Venom's odd couple dynamic.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Tue May-11-21 01:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "^^^^^^^"
In response to Reply # 1

>Because that's about as much fun as anything in genre. I'd
>love a great movie behind it, but I don't really expect it, or
>even care, as long as we get a good dose of Eddie and Venom's
>odd couple dynamic.

the movie as a whole will probably be terrible, but as long as there's some fun action and Hardy can keep up that schtick, I'm in.

There better be an Eminem song that explains the plot though lol.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44717 posts
Tue May-11-21 11:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I dunno, man. This doesn't really get me hyped"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue May-11-21 11:49 AM by mrhood75

I like obviously like Hardy, Harrelson, and Harris al lot, and I'm intrigued by the idea of Serkis directing. But I'm still really wary of this.

Part of my wariness comes from the fact that I HATED this period of the Spider-Man comics. So I'm having a hard time believing that they can generate a good movie out of it.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

BigWorm
Charter member
10385 posts
Wed May-19-21 07:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Here's why I'm not into this movie yet"
In response to Reply # 0

I'll probably watch it, but my problem is this:

The reason I liked the original Carnage story arc was that it put a superhero with strict morals (Spidey) against one with warped morals (Venom) and one with no morals (Carnage). Spiderman is what grounded it all. It was an ultimate "enemy of my enemy..." story.

Take Spidey out of the equation and it doesn't feel much more exciting than that final CGI battle at the end of the first Venom.

Couple that with the fact that Venom is more like Brock's wacky roommate and not a menacing force of hatred, and really the only thing I'm interested in is how much Harrelson's going to ham it up.

I still kind of think that the only reason the first Venom was a hit was that it wasn't Spiderman 3. If we hadn't already gotten a taste of just how bad Hollywood can fumble that character, Venom would have tanked hard. It's not a good movie.

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Wed May-19-21 05:59 PM

5. "I think Eddie trying to tame Venom's worst instincts works"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed May-19-21 06:02 PM by Cold Truth

I.E, if we see Venom develop a better sense of morality of its own by the end, then I think that would suffice.

The real issue I have here is, it's Sony.

Sony sucks and can't get out of their own way with these films.

Venom was saved by Hardy and the fun of his Venom interactions, but that movie was still a hair above dog shit even with that bit of magic.

They're just not good at this genre, or much of anything at all outside of Into The Multiverse, and the FANTASTIC Mitchells vs The Machines. Equalizer has been a solid franchise. But overall, Sony sucks at making good movies. By and large, their best work requires you to make serious concessions in light of a saving grace here and there.

Because there are ways to make this a compelling film- particularly given the presence of a certain detective that should give us another badass symbiote- but Sony absolutely WILL fuck this up.

This will be paint by numbers, and not in the winning formula way, but in that mediocre, disregard shit that makes people really connect in ways that matter just because we already got this one thing that they'll all like anyways, sort of way.

xangeluvr
Charter member
9014 posts
Tue May-25-21 11:30 PM

6. "RE: Venom: Let There Be Carnage (Andy Serkis, 2021)"
In response to Reply # 0

Want that Carnage in the last movie?

GamerTag and PSN: PokeEmAll

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Sat Oct-02-21 10:02 PM

7. "The pros and cons are about equal."
In response to Reply # 0

Kinda cheesy, kinda fun. Definitely an improvement on filming the action, possibly because it’s black vs. red and not black vs. dark grey. Venom looks a lot better and Carnage looks as comics-accurate as Spider-Man ever has. Venom being antsy about not being able to eat people was annoying. Naomi’s non-British accent was just as annoying. To be nitpicky, the wig work was hilarious. I just don’t like seeing Woody with hair. He looks way less goofy as a bald man.

Post credits scene: I can’t wait for No Way Home! One of the best stingers not related to Infinity War/Endgame.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sat Dec-18-21 01:40 PM

8. "Agreed on all accounts"
In response to Reply # 7

Oddly enough I think it was too short??? There was just something missing in the Cletus/Eddie connection that could’ve made the final fight feel like it had more stakes. I know they were mostly going for comedy with this one, but still. Overall though, this was enjoyable enough. About on par with the first one, though I think that one was a little more fun. I got a real kick out of the “do we love or hate Dan?” parts and I still love the Eddie/Venom odd couple routine. That will be REALLY fun if they get Spidey reacting to it too.

If I can nitpick about a couple things:

1) We were told that Venom living in Eddie’s body was slowly killing him last movie. Is that not the case anymore? If so, why?
2) Superpowers w/o the symbiote have not been a thing yet in this universe, so I was hoping for an explanation on where Shriek’s powers came from. Did I miss something?

>
>Post credits scene: I can’t wait for No Way Home! One of the
>best stingers not related to Infinity War/Endgame.

I popped for this. Glad I watched a couple days before going to see Spidey.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #741359 Previous topic | Next topic