Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740841

Subject: "‘Superman’ Reboot in the works with Ta-Nehisi Coates, J.J. Abrams" Previous topic | Next topic
aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Sat Feb-27-21 12:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"‘Superman’ Reboot in the works with Ta-Nehisi Coates, J.J. Abrams"

https://shadowandact.com/ta-nehisi-coates-superman-dc-warner-bros-film

Exclusive: Ta-Nehisi Coates To Write Upcoming Superman Film From DC And Warner Bros.

Trey Mangum | February 26, 2021

Shadow and Act has learned exclusively from studio sources that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing an upcoming Superman feature film from DC Films and Warner Bros. Pictures. The film is very early into the development process with no start or release date targeted. J.J. Abrams will produce the feature under his Bad Robot shingle and Hannah Minghella will serve as producer.

We're hearing that no director is attached as of yet and plot details remain under wraps. Additionally, the search for an actor to play Kal-El / Superman hasn't started yet.

“To be invited into the DC Extended Universe by Warner Bros., DC Films and Bad Robot is an honor,” said Coates in a statement received only by Shadow and Act. “I look forward to meaningfully adding to the legacy of America's most iconic mythic hero."

“There is a new, powerful and moving Superman story yet to be told. We couldn’t be more thrilled to be working with the brilliant Mr. Coates to help bring that story to the big screen, and we’re beyond thankful to the team at Warner Bros. for the opportunity,” said J.J. Abrams in the statement to S&A.

“Ta-Nehisi Coates’s Between the World and Me opened a window and changed the way many of us see the world,” added Toby Emmerich, Chairman, Warner Bros. Pictures Group. “We’re confident that his take on Superman will give fans a new and exciting way to see the Man of Steel.”

An acclaimed author, essayist, journalist and writer, Coates is the writer of the bestselling books The Beautiful Struggle, We Were Eight Years in Power, and Between The World And Me, which won the National Book Award in 2015. His first novel, The Water Dancer, was released in September 2019. Coates also wrote the comic book series for Black Panther and Captain America for Marvel Comics.

This would be the latest Superman-focused pic following 2013's Man of Steel and 2016's Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, with Henry Cavill playing the character. He reprises the role in 2017's Justice League and the upcoming Zack Snyder's Justice League cut.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm intrigued
Feb 28th 2021
RE: I'm intrigued
Feb 28th 2021
      Sorry about the bad comics reference
Feb 28th 2021
           They kinda lend to what the movie ended up being about
Mar 01st 2021
At this point...
Feb 28th 2021
So I just read the original post LOL
Feb 28th 2021
I would be more excited for this BUT J.J. Abrams is involved
Feb 28th 2021
Bad Reboot?
Mar 01st 2021

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sun Feb-28-21 03:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm intrigued"
In response to Reply # 0

He's clearly one of the best minds in America and his take on comics would influence pop culture in a significant way.

But is he a good fiction writer? I know he's written Black Panther comics. Were those episodes good?

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21496 posts
Sun Feb-28-21 09:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: I'm intrigued"
In response to Reply # 1

>He's clearly one of the best minds in America and his take on
>comics would influence pop culture in a significant way.
>
>But is he a good fiction writer? I know he's written Black
>Panther comics. Were those episodes good?

Comics are not “episodes”. They’re “issues.”

I’ve only read his Captain America and it was good enough for me to keep reading.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Sun Feb-28-21 09:51 PM

6. "Sorry about the bad comics reference"
In response to Reply # 5

As you can tell, I don't follow the medium. I just never got into comics as a kid. (parents wouldn't allow them)

But it's good to hear that he's somewhat of a master of the craft. I hope his vision makes it intact through the production.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23878 posts
Mon Mar-01-21 02:29 AM

8. "They kinda lend to what the movie ended up being about"
In response to Reply # 6

Like, T'Challa is king, but nobody thinks he's just killing it and can do no wrong. I'm sure the wiki on that run would summarize it up pretty nicely. It was a fun read, IMO.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sun Feb-28-21 11:04 AM

2. "At this point..."
In response to Reply # 0

What's the harm? I think DC are better off giving up on their extended universe for good. Joker, I'm going to assume the new Batman movie, Brightburn (ha), and Shazam don't fit together but they are miles ahead of any of the movies that are directly connected like Justice League, Aquaman, WW2, or BvS.

I'm also really skeptical that anyone out there could actually make a good Superman movie. Unless they went in more of a Thor: Ragnorak direction. The story may have worked as a comic book decades ago, but they'd really have to reimagine the character to make a really good movie I think. But I don't really care anymore, so why not let JJ give it a Bad Reboot®.

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sun Feb-28-21 11:08 AM

3. "So I just read the original post LOL"
In response to Reply # 2

So, it sounds like this has the potential to update/reimagine the character in a meaningful way, so this has potential to be good for sure. I'll keep an open mind unless there are reports of things going off the rails during production, and as long as JJ have too much influence over the script.

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Sun Feb-28-21 05:53 PM

4. "I would be more excited for this BUT J.J. Abrams is involved "
In response to Reply # 0

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44831 posts
Mon Mar-01-21 01:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Bad Reboot? "
In response to Reply # 0

Can't say I'm thrilled with them giving this to the guy who undid arguably the best star wars film and created arguably the worst as a result.

Granted, I love what he did with Star Trek.

I'm also a huge fan of Man Of Steel, and think that movie has held up extremely well, despite the fact that there were many who didn't like the fact that, OMG, Superman wasn't perfect and made some mistakes in his first true test of heroism.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740841 Previous topic | Next topic