Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740798

Subject: "I Care a Lot (Blakeson, 2021, Netflix)" Previous topic | Next topic
Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Mon Feb-22-21 07:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I Care a Lot (Blakeson, 2021, Netflix)"
Mon Feb-22-21 07:45 AM by Reeq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D40uHmTSPew

pretty fresh/intriguing premise.

rosamund pike, peter dinklage, and dianne wiest all do their thing.

isaiah sheeeeit whitlock getting some work here too.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
All the actors were fine, but I couldn’t get into it...
Feb 22nd 2021
Wasted a solid premise...
Feb 22nd 2021
3rd act fell all the way apart.....
Feb 22nd 2021
[(Better Call Saul + Breaking Bad S4) x '30s pulp] + heaping trash
Feb 26th 2021
out of all the pathetically awful things about this waste of time
Feb 27th 2021
There's a good movie in here somewhere (spoilers)
Mar 09th 2021
Exactly my summary
May 06th 2021
      someone said this movie feels like an AI made it
May 07th 2021
           RE:
May 07th 2021

natenate101
Member since Apr 21st 2015
679 posts
Mon Feb-22-21 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "All the actors were fine, but I couldn’t get into it..."
In response to Reply # 0

because everyone is so unlikable. No redeeming value to any of the characters. Was well made and well, but yeah. Was disappointing for me based on the folks involved.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Feb-22-21 01:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Wasted a solid premise..."
In response to Reply # 0

..with horrible writing and execution.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Mon Feb-22-21 06:32 PM

3. "3rd act fell all the way apart....."
In response to Reply # 2

I was feeling this movie hard until Rosamund Pike somehow got away....I mean come on man. They had these trained killers looking like some keystone cops. It all was just a little too contrived.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Fri Feb-26-21 09:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "[(Better Call Saul + Breaking Bad S4) x '30s pulp] + heaping trash"
In response to Reply # 0

That sequence from the interrogation until the apartment explosion was when I realized exactly what this was, basic pageturner for the algorithm that'll have audiences going "OMG what is happening!!" every 5 minutes.

This movie is for stupid people and that's fine.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

HecticHavoc
Member since May 13th 2005
7591 posts
Sat Feb-27-21 01:28 PM

5. "out of all the pathetically awful things about this waste of time"
In response to Reply # 0

is the score. felt like Laser Tag Facility music.

-----------------------------------------

Mynoriti
Charter member
38812 posts
Tue Mar-09-21 09:24 PM

6. "There's a good movie in here somewhere (spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

but it didn't work for me.

The premise was cool. Wiest was great but under used.

it was kinda great how Pike was this hyper competitive psycho who wouldn't rattle, but there's a difference between having an extreme alpha personality and her ability to somehow turn into Rambo and start taking out Russian mobsters lol.
Also they seem at some point they want us to at least get behind her on some level like in a "she's awful but you can't help but kinda like her" sort of way, but all i ever wanted was her to die a violent death.

Once she got away, i knew she'd get got by the guy from the beginning.

it's mainly talented actors working with shitty writing.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Thu May-06-21 07:04 PM

7. "Exactly my summary"
In response to Reply # 6

The first half was really good. I thought it jumped off the rails when 'Frankie' forgot to get the passports. *so, you're smart enough to know to get the hell away, but you don't remember to pack passports? really?*

I know I was supposed to pull for her, but I wanted Dinklage to kill her. Granted the bad guy was a human trafficker but I thought there was nothing redeeming about Pike's character. When she escaped, I didn't have much motivation to root for her.

Then there was the revenge plan. Which may have made sense, but when would they have had time to set all of this up. And two, how did Frankie get those bodies in and out of the SUV? The one dude had to be at least 270 pounds. If Frankie weighed 140, that's being generous.

The first twist between Dinklage and Pike was interesting. I don't know if it made up for the poor writing up until then, but I didn't mind it.

The final twist was just stupid. My sister said, so, Pike's karma comes back to her but the human trafficker gets to live??

But the performances were great all around. Kind of wished this movie had better oversight because there was a good idea in there.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Mynoriti
Charter member
38812 posts
Fri May-07-21 11:56 AM

8. "someone said this movie feels like an AI made it"
In response to Reply # 7

no one it it seems like an actual person. there are characters, and they do things, but no one is quite human

i guess you can argue that the lack of humanity is kinda the point. a heightened reality as a criticism of capitalism, but i don't think it quite works.

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Fri May-07-21 05:59 PM

9. "RE:"
In response to Reply # 8

>i guess you can argue that the lack of humanity is kinda the
>point. a heightened reality as a criticism of capitalism, but
>i don't think it quite works.
>

I agree. Whatever commentary on modern-day culture this movie was incidental. If the commentary was intentional, the crafting of it needed more time in the oven...as did the rest of the script.

The more I think about the movie, the less it holds up. I think your take that the movie is the output of an algorithm makes perfect sense. The movie was engaging enough to hold my attention, like the algorithm like, but the universe isn't anything I would want to revisit, a common complaint of movies built only to get money.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740798 Previous topic | Next topic