Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740039

Subject: "Disney Investor Meeting Stream" Previous topic | Next topic
Heinz
Member since Dec 26th 2003
20759 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 05:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Disney Investor Meeting Stream"
Thu Dec-10-20 05:34 PM by Heinz

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-investor-day-2020/

10 new Marvel series and 10 new Star Wars series coming!!!!

3:10 PM – The panel is about twenty minutes from starting.

3:25 PM – The panel is about five minutes from starting.

3:34 PM – The panel has officially begun.

3:37 PM – Disney CEO Bob Chapek appears to discuss Disney’s shift toward a direct-to-consumer model. Disney+ now has 86.8 million subscribers worldwide as of December 2, 2020.

3:43 PM – Chapek discusses Star as an international streaming service, which will help expand more adult content outside of the standard Disney brand.

3:45 PM – Kareem Daniel explains Disney’s plans to expand their DTC efforts.

3:47 PM – Daniel indicates that there will be content that will be released first through theaters, content released simultaneously between theaters and their streaming platforms, and content released exclusively through streaming. Everything of note will end up on Disney+ eventually.

3:49 PM – Over the next few years, Disney plan to release new 10 Star Wars shows, 10 Marvel shows, and 15 Disney and Pixar shows and features.

3:50 PM – Raya and the Last Dragon will be released both in theaters and through Disney+ Premium Access.

3:52 PM – Rebecca Campbell has revealed that Hulu has 38.8 million subscribers, and ESPN+ has 11.5 million subscribers, greatly exceeding Disney’s expectations for where they had hoped to be in 2024. Disney+ will also expand to markets like Eastern Europe, Korea, and Hong Kong.

3:55 PM – Michael Paull reveals that Disney have worked a deal out with Comcast to distribute Disney+ and ESPN+ to their platforms.

3:56 PM – Paull announces a new bundle between Disney+, ESPN+, and an ad-free version of Hulu for $19.99.

3:59 PM – Campbell discusses Disney+Hotstar’s reach in India and its unique features, like live sports coverage.

4:01 PM – Campbell reveals Disney+Star as an international service.

4:02 PM – Jerell Jimerson reveals Disney+Star as an international service available in markets like Europe, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore. The service will come with a price increase compared to the standard Disney+ model.

4:05 PM – Jimerson notes that parental controls will be necessary to access some content on Star, but the service will appear on Disney+ as the sixth main logo at the top of the Disney+ logo. Star+ will arrive in June 2021 in Latin American markets and will feature many of the same features, but will also cover live sports.

4:10 PM – Kelly Campbell is now discussing Hulu, which has seen a substantial increase in subscriptions in the past three years, coinciding with the Disney-Fox merger. The total of subscribers have doubled since 2017.

4:14 PM – Campbell says that 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures will produce new movies for Hulu. Some ESPN+ content will be coming to Hulu, while the streamer will collaborate more with ABC following the success of recent election coverage.

4:16 PM – Paull indicates that subscribers to ESPN+ have tripled since the start of the service. It is the #1 sports streaming service.

4:16 PM – Paull indicates that subscribers to ESPN+ have tripled since the start of the service. It is the #1 sports streaming service.

4:19 PM – James Pitaro indicates that ESPN will have more of an emphasis on direct-to-consumer content.

4:21 PM – Pitaro announces an exclusive deal with SEC sports such as football, basketball, and baseball.

4:23 PM – Stephen A. Smith will be hosting a new ESPN+ original.

4:24 PM – Peyton Manning hypes up Peyton’s Places, which has been renewed for a third season.

4:25 PM – A short break occurs. Former Disney CEO Bob Iger will host the remainder of the 2 hour and 30 minutes of the presentation.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Interesting stuff
Dec 10th 2020
The Marvel and Stars Wars stuff has me hyped
Dec 10th 2020
what a DROP
Dec 11th 2020
Plus all of their properties on Hulu coming over
Dec 11th 2020
We don't need 10 new Star Wars series/movies
Dec 11th 2020
right? I wonder if they have to pay Lucas
Dec 11th 2020
They gave him 4 billion when buying Star Wars
Dec 11th 2020
Feels like this will play out the same as the non-episode movies
Dec 12th 2020
Lol nobody was burnt out they literally did well every single movie
Dec 12th 2020
      I don't think the movies are bad, but Solo lost money
Dec 13th 2020
           that's certainly the narrative, but the numbers tell a different story
Dec 13th 2020
                That’s still not a lot, and marketing isn’t taken into account
Dec 13th 2020
                     it's probably borderline
Dec 13th 2020
                          I think the release date made a big impact
Dec 13th 2020
                               "star wars, again??"
Dec 14th 2020
                               Yeah the timing was terrible. They really didn't market Solo the way
Dec 14th 2020
                                    Unpopular opinion: Han Solo isn’t all that interesting a character
Jun 10th 2023
                                    Unpopular opinion: Han Solo isn’t all that interesting a character
Jun 10th 2023
of course we don't, but that was the whole point of the acquisition
Dec 12th 2020
^^they not spend billions on that to leave it on the shelf
Dec 14th 2020
I'm in the "Star Wars mostly sucks" camp.
Dec 14th 2020
      On the other hand, I *like* Star Wars
Dec 14th 2020
RE: Disney Investor Meeting Stream
Jun 10th 2023
Well it makes sense
Jun 12th 2023
      Just bring commercials back already. Its inevitable and fixes so much.
Jun 13th 2023
      RE: Just bring commercials back already. Its inevitable and fixes so muc...
Jun 16th 2023
           It has to happen or prices will go higher
Jun 16th 2023
           Youtube Premium is $12 a month. Easy spend for me.
Jun 16th 2023
      i had never heard of an impairment charge
Jun 16th 2023

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 08:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Interesting stuff"
In response to Reply # 0

Now are the Marvel 'shows' and Star Wars 'shows' episodic television or feature films? I'm sure they'll be pretty good but I am unsure if I'll dedicate the time to watch all of those. But they'll likely be really popular.

The new Stephen A Smith series will be interesting. He hosted a talk show back in the day which didn't gain traction. But he's done well with everything else he's done at ESPN and I'd think he's learned from that early experience with his talk show and will do great with his new project. (gotta earn that 10M/year somehow)

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

JiggysMyDayJob
Member since Jul 03rd 2002
5178 posts
Thu Dec-10-20 09:11 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "The Marvel and Stars Wars stuff has me hyped "
In response to Reply # 0

Can't wait to see it all together.

sometimes u gotta leave ur inner nigger in the bank vault. - desus

Situation Podemy : www.situationpodemy.wordpress.com
itunes:https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/situation-podemy/id620232249
facebook: facebook.com/situationpodemy
@SituationPodemy

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Dec-11-20 09:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "what a DROP"
In response to Reply # 0

The only new thing I watched was the Mandalorian but I enjoyed revisiting a couple cartoons from when I was a kid. All this original content has me kinda hype. Like....Ironheart, Tiana, Children of Blood & Bone....it's SO much

Heinz
20759 posts
Fri Dec-11-20 10:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Plus all of their properties on Hulu coming over"
In response to Reply # 3

It’s Always Sunny (renewed for 4 more seasons) being on Disney+ is WILD. I love it
----------

IG @erichrigonan

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52628 posts
Fri Dec-11-20 12:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "We don't need 10 new Star Wars series/movies"
In response to Reply # 0

They haven't fully proven that they have the ability not to fuck this up yet.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Fri Dec-11-20 01:35 PM

6. "right? I wonder if they have to pay Lucas"
In response to Reply # 5

if/when they use his characters?

Why else would they not give us animated Luke or some shit?

Either way they've made 1 really good movie (Rogue One) and the rest has been meh to hot garbage.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Fri Dec-11-20 01:58 PM

7. "They gave him 4 billion when buying Star Wars"
In response to Reply # 6

so I’m sure they are all set.

And have you seen Mandalorian? I think they’ve figured out how to balance having detectors executed their own vision while still fitting within the SW universe both in terms of feel and canon/story.

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
12493 posts
Sat Dec-12-20 04:20 PM

8. "Feels like this will play out the same as the non-episode movies "
In response to Reply # 5

It’ll be too much all at once and the audience will get burnt out. I get that they’re pressed to turn their incredible amount of IP into new content (especially when Plus hasn’t had a ton of original content so far), but yeesh.

Heinz
20759 posts
Sat Dec-12-20 08:11 PM

9. "Lol nobody was burnt out they literally did well every single movie"
In response to Reply # 8

Story wise they just didn't execute the way fans expected or wanted.

With the way Mando is going, I love this news. Especially if Fav/Filoni take over for the Star Wars IP and Kennedy can run everything else.

----------

IG @erichrigonan

pretentious username
12493 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 12:12 AM

11. "I don't think the movies are bad, but Solo lost money"
In response to Reply # 9

so Disney slowed down their plans on the non-episode stuff. I'm also not saying all this new stuff is gonna be bad, but this looks like oversaturation to me. The more stuff they pump out/the quicker they release these projects the less excitement there will be. Unless they're all amazing, which inevitably they won't be.

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 11:55 AM

12. "that's certainly the narrative, but the numbers tell a different story"
In response to Reply # 11

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt3778644/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

to paraphrase morrisey, we have to remember we are not the world. a lot of what we consider box office failures made up their money elsewhere.

i do agree with what you said otherwise (IP mania). i don't understand why disney is going so hard with this. even with "trust filoni/favreau," there's no way for them to sustain the same artistic quality control over 10 tv series.

pretentious username
12493 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 05:55 PM

13. "That’s still not a lot, and marketing isn’t taken into account"
In response to Reply # 12

>https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt3778644/?ref_=bo_se_r_1
>

Marketing figures are anywhere from 50-100% of the budget, but actual numbers are rarely reported, so a movie basically needs to make twice it’s budget to be profitable.

>
>i do agree with what you said otherwise (IP mania). i don't
>understand why disney is going so hard with this. even with
>"trust filoni/favreau," there's no way for them to sustain the
>same artistic quality control over 10 tv series.

Agreed, though using Mandalorian to spin-off some stuff is more intriguing to me than forcing another trilogy. I’ll look forward to a few of these for sure.

howisya
39983 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 06:49 PM

14. "it's probably borderline"
In response to Reply # 13

i would still guess it made its money back eventually. i think we treat it like a failure because it's star wars. even the prequels "everyone hated" were still commercially successful. this was the first chink in the armor since the holiday special or maybe the clone wars movie, and people generally admit solo isn't actually bad. all considered, the lukewarm reception just seemed to slow the franchise down temporarily, which isn't such a bad thing. they may relearn this lesson tenfold unless these series all have the same level of "creatives" *retches* involved.

i am glad they seem to be off of trilogies.

pretentious username
12493 posts
Sun Dec-13-20 09:43 PM

15. "I think the release date made a big impact"
In response to Reply # 14

IIRC they were supposed to release it around Christmas like all the other movies, then they got excited and moved it up to May. That still baffles me. I think it premiering just 5 months after TLJ took a lot of enthusiasm away from it.

howisya
39983 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 08:41 AM

17. ""star wars, again??""
In response to Reply # 15

suddenly it was less special, and i can't see how 10 tv series don't do the same thing. it will all depend on word of mouth; if they are more mandalorian, less solo, it will make a big difference.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 09:02 AM

18. "Yeah the timing was terrible. They really didn't market Solo the way"
In response to Reply # 15

they'd done with previous releases because of TLJ still having it's run in the theaters during that cycle. As big of a SW fan as I am (and I really liked TLJ at the time) I wasn't ready to be in the theater watching Solo. It was the first SW film I didn't see opening night since the 80's.

Combine that with TLJ being divisive among fans, and the wasted opportunity of building on the rhythm they had with TFA, Rogue One, and TLJ all coming out in back to back Decembers, and it really didn't make sense. Also, it wasn't even a move to start releasing SW films twice a year at that point - they had no SW film to drop after Solo until Rise of Skywalker in December 2019. They could have easily kept that December cadence going for what would have been 5 straight years.

All that being said, I see no problem at all with these announcements. The way LucasFilm and ILM are using the Volume to shoot Mandalorian they've been able to produce cinematic level effects for TV at much less cost.

Also the idea of "oversaturation" is different on TV/streaming vs. theatrical releases. The oversaturation feeling comes from the special event nature of Star Wars film releases - the huge marketing pushes, red carpet events, etc. For these TV show releases there likely won't be more than one new SW show on at a time, but I'd guess they'll eventually come out back to back with short breaks in between. They also have enough distinctions that if a show isn't for you, easy to skip. I never got into SW Resistance at all, but I loved Clone Wars, Rebels, etc. Those three shows (and the final season of Clone Wars which was added) all came out back to back, and never felt like oversaturation - and that's all animation. Which these announcements if you love Mandalorian you'll probably check out Ahsoka and Rangers of the New Republic since it sounds like those will be directly connected and also done by Favreau/Filoni...but that doesn't mean you'll also watch the Bad Batch or Andor - and that's okay.

The TV/streaming format should allow them to take risks that would be more difficult on theatrical releases. Also easier for them to pivot on release dates for the shows depending on the numbers they are seeing. Given the pandemic and the unknown affect on the theater experience going forward, makes sense to go all in on Disney+. (I wouldn't be surprised if they raise their price soon for that also.)

Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44843 posts
Sat Jun-10-23 09:00 PM

"Unpopular opinion: Han Solo isn’t all that interesting a character"

I never understood the reverence.

He’s Zack Morris in space.

That could be disputed and argued and I’d still see a generic archetype. I’m mot sure how many of those we’d seen before the Han came to be, and the “Ferris Bueller” trope certainly came well after.

But the general character doesn’t exactly scream “he needs a whole movie” to me.

Shit, Star Lord is a *way* better version of the Space Bueller thing. More relatable in every conceivable way. And part of his strengths lie in his interactions with the rest of an ensemble.

Granted, I think the SW films are, by and large, a collection of badly executed good ideas and mediocre storytelling that gets by on the gravitas of those quality core concepts.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Sat Jun-10-23 09:00 PM

22. "Unpopular opinion: Han Solo isn’t all that interesting a character"
In response to Reply # 18
Sat Jun-10-23 09:01 PM by Cold Truth

I never understood the reverence.

He’s Zack Morris in space.

That could be disputed and argued and I’d still see a generic archetype. I’m mot sure how many of those we’d seen before the Han came to be, and the “Ferris Bueller” trope certainly came well after.

But the general character doesn’t exactly scream “he needs a whole movie” to me.

Shit, Star Lord is a *way* better version of the Space Bueller thing. More relatable in every conceivable way. And part of his strengths lie in his interactions with the rest of an ensemble.

Granted, I think the SW films are, by and large, a collection of badly executed good ideas and mediocre storytelling that gets by on the gravitas of those quality core concepts.

So maybe that bleeds into my perception of the Solo character.

I just don’t see the magic of Han Solo to the degree that significant numbers of moviegoers want to see him as the central figure.

-Sig-

“Why didn’t you do this in your own god damn country?"

-All Stah's view on undocumented immigrants wanting to be treated like human beings.

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Sat Dec-12-20 11:27 PM

10. "of course we don't, but that was the whole point of the acquisition"
In response to Reply # 5

Star Wars multiplied by Star Wars, so that it becomes another MCU multiverse that spins off into separate money-making solar systems

--------

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 02:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "^^they not spend billions on that to leave it on the shelf"
In response to Reply # 10

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Cold Truth
44843 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 04:10 PM

19. "I'm in the "Star Wars mostly sucks" camp. "
In response to Reply # 5

There are four films that I genuinely enjoy:

1. The Last Jedi.

-Far and away the best SW film. It's not close IMO.

2. The Force Awakens.

Good, if flawed, start to the new trilogy.

3. Return Of The Sith

-The only good prequel, IMO, but the high points of this are excellent, regardless of the low bar set by the prior episodes.

4. Rogue One. No real commentary here. I just enjoyed it.

The rest is a mess of good ideas and terrible execution. The OG trilogy is pretty bad, surviving on the strength of the overall mythology, and the gravitas of Darth Vader, to my tastes.

I mostly enjoyed the 5 or so episodes of Mandalorian I watched last season, but once I fell off, I never had a desire to get back.

So I couldn't care less about these ten seasons.

Thing is, the brand is a big deal. SW fans are deep, and from what I gathered doing my wiki's on the overall mythology, there's a ton of great material to mine. I dig a lot of the shit that I've wiki'd, but half of this shit is a chore to get through.

I haven't gotten into the books. I started Plaguius joint from Audible, but just didn't care. But from what I've seen of the overall story, there's 20 series worth of material in there. Ten is nothing.

*we* may not "need" ten series, but that doesn't mean the actual market isn't there- particularly from a streaming service.

Nopayne
52628 posts
Mon Dec-14-20 05:44 PM

20. "On the other hand, I *like* Star Wars"
In response to Reply # 19

I don't love it. I like it.

Of all the new stuff that's come out, there were two things that I felt were genuinely great:
Rogue One and The Mandolorian. Both fit into the greater universe but have a shift in tone which keeps them interesting. Mando has also managed to avoid getting too tangled in the original trilogy's story/characters which helps.

On the other hand I *love* Star Trek. We've seen Star Trek go down the path of releasing too much at once twice now and both times it's junked up the canon and given us franchise fatigue. Rise of Skywalker gets Star Wars dangerously close to this imo.

Micky gotta make his money though.

---
Love,
Nopayne

howisya
39983 posts
Sat Jun-10-23 06:54 PM

21. "RE: Disney Investor Meeting Stream"
In response to Reply # 0

"...we will be removing certain content from our streaming platforms, and currently expect to take an impairment charge of approximately $1.5 to $1.8 billion. The charge, which will not be recorded in our segment results will primarily be recognized in the third quarter as we complete our review and remove the content."

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Mon Jun-12-23 07:55 AM

23. "Well it makes sense"
In response to Reply # 21

If they can get more revenue by shifting "exclusive" content to other platforms then it makes sense to do so.

It does change the model for consumers of expecting a streamer's catalog to ever expand and always have everything available.

It's syndication.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Heinz
20759 posts
Tue Jun-13-23 08:18 AM

24. "Just bring commercials back already. Its inevitable and fixes so much."
In response to Reply # 23
Tue Jun-13-23 08:19 AM by Heinz

Just use the Youtube format of commercials its a case study that already proves we will be ok with it.

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 01:03 AM

26. "RE: Just bring commercials back already. Its inevitable and fixes so muc..."
In response to Reply # 24

i hatez the ads on youtube. before i had a smart tv, i either watched on my browser with ads blocked or saved the video natively (no conversion) to view offline. now that i watch on the tv app, i get ads multiple times in a 10-minute video, sometimes midsentence. to your point, i obviously tolerate it, but only so much.

Heinz
20759 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 12:26 PM

27. "It has to happen or prices will go higher"
In response to Reply # 26

I rather be annoyed by skippable ads than pay more

Nopayne
52628 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 12:55 PM

28. "Youtube Premium is $12 a month. Easy spend for me."
In response to Reply # 26

I don't know how y'all deal with it otherwise.

---
Love,
Nopayne

howisya
39983 posts
Fri Jun-16-23 12:59 AM

25. "i had never heard of an impairment charge"
In response to Reply # 23

i'm still wrapping my head around how removing content that was already released and seen saves over a billion dollars. i don't think that implied it would all be licensed, just unavailable. i don't think every max original has been licensed or otherwise monetized after removal, but they save on residuals and server costs.

that disney+ doesn't release its original content retail, blu-ray in particular, makes it all the more frustrating.

i'm also one of those people who thought what was on disney+ and produced for hulu would be there because disney owned it. i had streaming netflix up until last year and am familiar with the content losses there because netflix wasn't the actual or majority owner of the content. i'm waking up to the reality now of services removing outright owned content for financial reasons, but as Heinz implies, this is not the utopia we were promised with streaming.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #740039 Previous topic | Next topic