Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739802

Subject: "fate of movie theaters " Previous topic | Next topic
HueyNewton
Member since Feb 27th 2005
1923 posts
Tue Nov-10-20 04:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"fate of movie theaters "

not long ago I can recall going to the movies in charlotte for
the matinee showing 5 dollars before 6 and being taken away
if only briefly mesmerized by supa large screens, HD sound
but now, just buzzin in my head now?
shows films release dates all cancelled
I dunno I'm just venting I miss those matinees man

m.r.

they showed us phYsically, we could reach infinitY, but mentally, through the century, we lost our identitY
-Rakim

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They'll be back but the shape of the industry might change
Nov 10th 2020
I miss them
Nov 10th 2020
It's just impossible for me to stay focused at home
Nov 10th 2020
what's the last movie you saw in theaters?
Nov 11th 2020
yup. 1917.
Nov 11th 2020
New Mutants
Nov 11th 2020
The Irishman
Nov 11th 2020
Bad Boys 3 on MLK Day
Nov 12th 2020
The Invisible Man, 3/15/20
Nov 12th 2020
Tenet, with one other dude several rows up and to the right of me
Nov 13th 2020
Tenet, because it was an empty theater + first screening of the day
Nov 13th 2020
1917 for me as well.
Nov 16th 2020
Sonic the hedgehog
Nov 23rd 2020
Endgame wouldn't have been the same without the theater
Nov 13th 2020
FACTS
Nov 16th 2020
Same for me
Nov 22nd 2020

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8740 posts
Tue Nov-10-20 08:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "They'll be back but the shape of the industry might change"
In response to Reply # 0

Streaming is here for good, given that Mulan and other major movies premiered on streaming platforms rather than in the theater. That trend is probably going to tick up as movie studios work out better deals with Netflix and the like or just start up their own platforms.

I don't visit theaters often but generally enjoy the experience more than watching at home. My home setup is pretty good, but there's just an almost mystical quality to sitting in a large room with a hundred or more people to be quiet and spellbound for a couple of hours.

But with the cost to attend a movie increasing so much over the last several years, home setups becoming more and more immersive and now moviegoers establishing the habit to watch new movies through streaming services, the movie theater may be under a legitimate threat.

For as much value I believe there is in shared group experiences, we're just a less social society in a traditional sense. Cinema has survived many existential threats before and will likely do the same now.

<--- Me when my head hits the pillow

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Tue Nov-10-20 09:37 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I miss them"
In response to Reply # 0

I also avoided going when it was crowded, but there's nothing like seeing movies in the theaters

it's a minor pleasure but I'm looking forward to when we can all go back

--------

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Tue Nov-10-20 09:44 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "It's just impossible for me to stay focused at home"
In response to Reply # 0

Granted, there've also been times I've kind of faded out in a theater seeing a movie a little too late after having one too many drinks before going in and not being super excited about what was going on, but it's still just way easier to not look at my phone and escape for two hours in a theater because it's so all-encompassing.

Plus nothing beats that 15-30 minutes after leaving the theater when the world just LOOKS different for a while, at least for me I see everything the way the director/cinematographer might try to.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

jdub1313
Charter member
4731 posts
Wed Nov-11-20 02:31 PM

4. "what's the last movie you saw in theaters?"
In response to Reply # 0

for me it was 1917.

I feel like this movie was a great example of why theaters must survive.

I don't get the same feeling of awe and oh shit, if i'm watching this on my couch. We have a 60 inch on the wall and speakers in the ceiling, but this is a different movie in the theaters.

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Wed Nov-11-20 03:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "yup. 1917."
In response to Reply # 4

>for me it was 1917.

went to see it after our anniversary dinner. the restaurant we ate at that night is now closed permanently due to covid

--------

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23862 posts
Wed Nov-11-20 10:37 PM

6. "New Mutants"
In response to Reply # 4

Fat white dude in the theater seemed like he was purposely coughing and hacking as hard as he could.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Mynoriti
Charter member
38799 posts
Wed Nov-11-20 11:25 PM

7. "The Irishman"
In response to Reply # 4

i think

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Thu Nov-12-20 09:16 AM

8. "Bad Boys 3 on MLK Day"
In response to Reply # 4

howisya
Member since Nov 09th 2002
39983 posts
Thu Nov-12-20 10:45 AM

9. "The Invisible Man, 3/15/20"
In response to Reply # 4

coinciding with work from home beginning and theater shutdowns imminent (possibly the next day). i remember the audience being sparse, but there was someone a couple seats away, and this was before people wore masks.

i agree with everyone who posts about the theater experience just being different and more cinematic than watching on tv. that's why i risked it. had the theater stayed open another week, i probably would've watched Onward and/or The Hunt, which i still haven't seen.

beyond that, i just knew too much about covid. i'd love to see Tenet. theaters in my county never opened back up. if i could have seen that socially distanced in the local "liemax," i probably would've, in my mask. everything else i was really looking forward to got pushed back, rightly so. there are probably other movies that did get theatrically released i would've gone to had covid not happened, especially on a $6 ticket. (i actually have a gift card and vouchers/free passes for two chains - no tity boi - that have been burning a hole in my pocket all year. i'm concerned about AMC.) i'm a last priority group member for the vaccine, so it could still be a long time before i go back to the movies.

i haven't gotten into new releases from home or looked to what gets added to streaming as of equal importance to theatrical. i've just been watching the few shows i like that have new episodes and old movies and shows i haven't seen. eventually whatever came out this year will make its way to free viewing; probably not many would-be blockbusters in the bunch. next year's oscars are going to be quite strange.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15294 posts
Fri Nov-13-20 02:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "Tenet, with one other dude several rows up and to the right of me"
In response to Reply # 4

It was pretty surreal. I thought I'd go see some other stuff but it wasn't fully worth the hassle getting to and from the theater that was open and neither theater within a 15-20 minute walk ever reopened so I haven't been back. And now it's been long enough and casual enough in the Midwest I feel like I know who'd be at a theater and I don't want to be anywhere near them.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86643 posts
Fri Nov-13-20 08:37 PM

12. "Tenet, because it was an empty theater + first screening of the day"
In response to Reply # 4

It was awesome.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13181 posts
Mon Nov-16-20 10:53 AM

14. "1917 for me as well."
In response to Reply # 4

handle
Charter member
18919 posts
Mon Nov-23-20 01:01 PM

16. "Sonic the hedgehog"
In response to Reply # 4

I was bored and had free passes.

I won't go back until daily infection rates in San Diego get REAL low.

Example from 11/21/2020: A record-high 1,478 new COVID-19 cases were reported Saturday.

So I'd go back when infections are like 10 a day.

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10978 posts
Fri Nov-13-20 04:17 PM

11. "Endgame wouldn't have been the same without the theater"
In response to Reply # 0

Honestly can't remember the last movie at the theater (Skywalker, maybe? Everything just seems like a big blur at this point). But there are always going to be something to the cinema experience that you can't replicate at home, regardless of cost (either cost of home setup or movie ticket and concessions)

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

KnowOne
Charter member
39940 posts
Mon Nov-16-20 09:43 AM

13. "FACTS"
In response to Reply # 11

nm

IG: KnowOne215 | PS+ ID: KnowOne215

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sun Nov-22-20 12:01 PM

15. "Same for me"
In response to Reply # 11

Skywalker was the last theater experience for me as well and I agree, Endgame wouldn't have had much of an emotional impact watching on a computer while I'm simultaneously checking emails.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739802 Previous topic | Next topic