Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739750

Subject: "The Queen's Gambit (2020, Netflix)" Previous topic | Next topic
Melanism
Charter member
20389 posts
Thu Nov-05-20 01:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Queen's Gambit (2020, Netflix)"

Has anyone else watched it yet?

It was an easy watch (7 episodes) and the performances were great particularly Anna Taylor-Joy.

They were even able to make watching people stare at a chessboard and each other riveting at times.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Probably my second favorite 2020 show after Watchmen
Nov 05th 2020
It was fun. ***spoilers***
Nov 06th 2020
RE: The Queen's Gambit (2020, Netflix)
Nov 06th 2020
Very good.
Nov 06th 2020
VERY GOOD!
Nov 06th 2020
I was not supposed to enjoy a show about a little white girl playing che...
Nov 13th 2020
Where can I get the chess pieces used in the final game
Nov 17th 2020
Went in with zero expectations, and loved it
Dec 02nd 2020
Man when she made a power move and then looked you dead in the eyes
Dec 03rd 2020
      YES
Dec 05th 2020
Just finished last night
Dec 02nd 2020

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
14240 posts
Thu Nov-05-20 02:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Probably my second favorite 2020 show after Watchmen"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-05-20 02:01 PM by Nodima

Granted, I haven't seen any of the other prestige stuff from HBO this year, but with Fargo just kinda being another season of Fargo I can't think of anything else I'd put up there with these two. Here's what I said over in GD

Been watching out for the star, Anya Taylor-Joy, since I caught her in The VVitch when I finally saw that last year. Or I should say I've wanted to, but I haven't seen Emma. yet (edit: I've now seen about 30 minutes of Emma. and the performances are great but I didn't have the patience for what that movie was) and most of the other stuff she's been in just isn't up my alley. She kills this thing, and then there's a couple of fun young character actors in here as well - the kid who played Jojen in Game of Thrones and Harry Melling - as well as Marielle Heller who directed Diary of a Teenage Girl and the Mr. Rogers movie but looks like she's been in front of the camera forever.

There is a lot of tropey bullshit at the front and back half of the show, in particular there's a downward spiral in the 6th episode that feels totally dissonant from the patient pace the first half of the show has, but even that's kind of fun in its own silly way. Plus it wouldn't be a movie/show set in the 60s starring an orphaned white girl if she didn't have a magical black friend to help her get back on track (to the point, she actually has a line of dialogue that points out that's NOT what she's doing while she's doing it).

But you get your Mad Men style set design, some real cool Rocky-but-it's-chess montages (if you play chess, it's almost worth watching just to see chess on screen look like chess in real life - Gary Kasparov designed a lot of the games' plots himself), a lot of interesting stuff between a pretty but socially inept girl figuring out what power she has in a world that's not prepared for her physically or mentally...but sometimes not for the typical reasons (!) and it's super brisk. First show I watched in a single sitting (while playing some video games and stuff, sure) in a long while and I'd totally recommend it with, again, a small caveat that it's got 80% prestige and 20% cheese but that cheese is some heavy, goat's milk-ass cheese.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Castro
Charter member
49032 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 12:49 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It was fun. ***spoilers***"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think it provided any insight into women moving through a male dominated social circle though....played like a Mad Men episode at times, but the lead chewed up the scenery and gave us a young Audrey Hepburn type IT girl vibe.

Jolene explaining that she wasn't the magical negro while being THE epitome of a magical negro was a hoot.

------------------
One Hundred.

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21327 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 01:17 AM

3. "RE: The Queen's Gambit (2020, Netflix)"
In response to Reply # 0

>Has anyone else watched it yet?
>
>It was an easy watch (7 episodes) and the performances were
>great particularly Anna Taylor-Joy.
>
>They were even able to make watching people stare at a
>chessboard and each other riveting at times.

I really got into it and don’t regret watching it.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
65895 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 11:42 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Very good. "
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

KnowOne
Charter member
39723 posts
Fri Nov-06-20 01:37 PM

5. "VERY GOOD!"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

PS+ ID: KnowOne215 | XBL GamerTag: KnowOne 215

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
45562 posts
Fri Nov-13-20 11:06 AM

6. "I was not supposed to enjoy a show about a little white girl playing che..."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-13-20 11:07 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

As much as I did. The show is really really good. I skipped the movie so many times based on the scene netflix kept forcing me to watch when I started the app. Only watched it because a brother I trusted raved about it on Facebook.

I was trying to explain to my wife why its such compelling television and its all visual story-telling, compelling acting and characterization, layered over a Disney movie theme.

You just got to watch it to see it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

kwez
Member since Aug 10th 2003
11546 posts
Tue Nov-17-20 02:26 AM

7. "Where can I get the chess pieces used in the final game"
In response to Reply # 0

I couldn't take my eyes off of them.

Really good series this.

spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10347 posts
Wed Dec-02-20 02:09 PM

8. "Went in with zero expectations, and loved it"
In response to Reply # 0

Small quibbles aside, and a few pacing issues on the back end, it was extremely well written, acted, staged, and directed. Who expected a coming of age story while playing chess in a Mad Men universe would be a hit?

Everybody here acted their asses off. Didn't see Split or anything else Anya Taylor-Joy has been in but she's definitely on my radar from here on out. The way her facial mannerisms and walk changed as the years went on were so well done. The set design as the years went on was fantastic. Netflix definitely put some money in this one. And the chess matches were all very well done and shot.

Recommended.

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
45562 posts
Thu Dec-03-20 03:55 PM

10. "Man when she made a power move and then looked you dead in the eyes"
In response to Reply # 8

she was snatching souls.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Mynoriti
Charter member
35976 posts
Sat Dec-05-20 03:35 AM

11. "YES"
In response to Reply # 10

>she was snatching souls.

--------
http://ambitiondeficitdisorder.tumblr.com/

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
42618 posts
Wed Dec-02-20 02:12 PM

9. "Just finished last night"
In response to Reply # 0

and enjoyed it like everyone else.

What stood out to me about the show was the pacing. I think the pacing was brilliant, it was a good slow burn.

It was slow at times but in a way that kept you engaged. It was steady, and confident -- so even when it ends and you don't know much about the future... you're just like okay thats fine because everything was done so confidently.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739750 Previous topic | Next topic