Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739696

Subject: "This Is Us (Season 5)" Previous topic | Next topic
Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13180 posts
Mon Oct-26-20 05:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"This Is Us (Season 5)"
Mon Oct-26-20 05:54 PM by Oak27

Who's still fucking with this show?

2-hour season premier tomorrow.

Last we left off Randall was fucking up and getting himself cut off from the twins, Kevin knocked up Madison, Kate and Toby were saving their marriage (I think? How long ago in the season was CrossFit Toby?) and Rebecca's Alzheimer's is starting to show itself. I forget what else happened at the end of last season but I'm sure we'll get a quick recap vid before the fist ep.

They dropped a scene from the first ep (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWOa_8ZuPLc) and it looks like they are incorporating COVID. I guess it makes sense since they are prob confined to indoor/intimate sets anyway so they may as well use this as a reason for it.

Oh and hopefully we get a lot more Nicky this season.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
im all in. still best show on network tv
Oct 27th 2020
Yooooo the ending!!!
Oct 28th 2020
Idk, to me that ending was teetering on jumping the shark
Oct 28th 2020
What I do remember is these 2 things though:
Oct 28th 2020
      Was William living at the same apartment when Randall found hum?
Nov 18th 2020
they might lose a few viewers with the realness
Oct 29th 2020
      that'll be replaced by the ones they gain
Oct 30th 2020
spoilers.
Oct 30th 2020
RE: This Is Us (Season 5)
Jan 06th 2021
This show has lost a bit of steam...
Jan 10th 2021

thegodcam
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
41487 posts
Tue Oct-27-20 12:57 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "im all in. still best show on network tv"
In response to Reply # 0

i will not let finite disappointment undermine infinite hope
- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

thegodcam
41487 posts
Wed Oct-28-20 07:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Yooooo the ending!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

That convo between Randall and Kate is why Blk Writers Matter.... this show constantly makes the voice of its black characters sound authentic

- Cory Booker

Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win
- Gary Lineker

Oak27
13180 posts
Wed Oct-28-20 08:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Idk, to me that ending was teetering on jumping the shark"
In response to Reply # 2

Are we really gonna get ANOTHER "this character isn't actually dead" storyline??

I swear if his mother ends up being his therapist...

The first 10-15 mins were brutal and felt way too forced with all the COVID stuff, I feel like they could have just had everyone in masks and using hand sanitizer without laying it on so thick.

Other than that I really loved the episode(s). The convo with Randall and Malik was probably my favorite part followed by Toby/Miguel.

Do we think Madison is making it out of this pregnancy/childbirth alive or nah? Feels like they are foreshadowing to her dying/not being a part of the future but could easily be a false flag.

thegodcam
41487 posts
Wed Oct-28-20 09:10 AM

4. "What I do remember is these 2 things though:"
In response to Reply # 3

1- Randall found William by hiring a private investigator and when they meet for the 1st time, William says he barely remembered that day because he wasn’t clean back then.... so it’s plausible the PI wasn’t able to retrace her and/or William never knew she survived
2- the Series finale has been written a few yrs ago already so I do trust that the main plot has already been written which should help to avoid plot holes

- Cory Booker

- Gary Lineker

tha_scientist
Member since Jun 04th 2003
557 posts
Wed Nov-18-20 08:07 PM

8. "Was William living at the same apartment when Randall found hum?"
In response to Reply # 4

I thought when Randall found William, he was still living in the same apartment when Randall was born. If so, I'm William would have to know about Randall's mom. I'm sure the Black Pittsburgh community was small enough at that time that William would know what happened.

Wouldn't William have known she survived and why wouldn't he have told Randall?

Ray_Snill
Charter member
16833 posts
Thu Oct-29-20 04:44 PM

5. "they might lose a few viewers with the realness"
In response to Reply # 2

but man if it ain't necessary. they are trying their best to make Randall insufferable. when he told Beth to take a raincheck on smashing, I KNOW he's bout to have a breakdown

>That convo between Randall and Kate is why Blk Writers
>Matter.... this show constantly makes the voice of its black
>characters sound authentic

<=========================================
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/PYzh4v9cSf4FDnq3yMQyqNqh79o=/800x0/filters:no_upscale%28%29/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/4079674/jlio.0.gif

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35854 posts
Fri Oct-30-20 06:37 PM

6. "that'll be replaced by the ones they gain"
In response to Reply # 5

plus, the show has always been real.

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Damali
Member since Sep 12th 2002
35854 posts
Fri Oct-30-20 06:41 PM

7. "spoilers."
In response to Reply # 0

i do hope his mom is the therapist..that would be an amazing way to get to know her

in the context of this show, so much has been about coincidences and chance meetings so it wouldn't be out of the realm

i wonder if she was trying to find him all these years?

Or what if she wasn't? oh lord i don't want that hurt for Randall...or what if she didn't remember she had a baby?

this season is gonna be dope

d

"But rest assured, in my luxurious house built on the backs of people darker than me, I am sipping fine scotch and scoffing at how stupid you are." - bshelly

Oak27
13180 posts
Wed Jan-06-21 09:41 AM

9. "RE: This Is Us (Season 5)"
In response to Reply # 0

I was not happy with Randall's mother being surprise alive (at least at the moment it was believed she died), so I'm at least thankful she's still not alive and waiting for an emotional reunion. That said, I'm actually interested in the ep next week moreso for background on her character, regardless if she lived or died after Randall was born, esp if it means we get more William. Meanwhile, they decided to make COVID a supporting character this season yet Randall is ready to fly to New Orleans in the middle of a pandemic? Not a good example for your constituents, Councilman Pearson!

When Kate/Mark was first teased (I think beginning of last season?) they really made it seem like it was going to be a lot *bigger* than it ended up being. He treated her like shit, locked her out of a cabin once, then when she tried to tell him she was pregnant/getting an abortion he showed how truly immature and what a piece of shit he was so she bounced. The whole confront Mark (who was conveniently living in SD) in the street scene was a little over the top. If this shit was bothering you for 20 years how was this never brought up before to Toby? Seems like "I had an abortion when I was younger" should maybe have come up at least once during their year or so of having trouble getting pregnant.

The Kevin/Madison stuff is hit or miss, this ep was a miss. What does Madison do for work that they need a nanny? Why is Kevin suddenly talking about countless trips to shoot in exotic countries when we've seen him leave LA like once for a movie in the last 4 years?

This is my least favorite season to date. The show was at it's best when it was linking the past with the present, but they are basically out of interesting "past" points it seems, and I'd much rather them focus on the future at this point.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Sun Jan-10-21 02:56 PM

10. "This show has lost a bit of steam..."
In response to Reply # 9

>I was not happy with Randall's mother being surprise alive
>(at least at the moment it was believed she died), so I'm at
>least thankful she's still not alive and waiting for an
>emotional reunion. That said, I'm actually interested in the
>ep next week moreso for background on her character,
>regardless if she lived or died after Randall was born, esp if
>it means we get more William. Meanwhile, they decided to make
>COVID a supporting character this season yet Randall is ready
>to fly to New Orleans in the middle of a pandemic? Not a good
>example for your constituents, Councilman Pearson!

We knew that there would eventually be a backstory given about Randall's mother, here we are. I don't think they put any real thought behind the impact of Covid. Absolutely no reason to risk your life traveling to New Orleans during a pandemic when you could easily get the same info immediately through video chat (and plan to meet in person once the coast is clear). Instead, we get adventure time with Randall.

>When Kate/Mark was first teased (I think beginning of last
>season?) they really made it seem like it was going to be a
>lot *bigger* than it ended up being. He treated her like shit,
>locked her out of a cabin once, then when she tried to tell
>him she was pregnant/getting an abortion he showed how truly
>immature and what a piece of shit he was so she bounced. The
>whole confront Mark (who was conveniently living in SD) in the
>street scene was a little over the top. If this shit was
>bothering you for 20 years how was this never brought up
>before to Toby? Seems like "I had an abortion when I was
>younger" should maybe have come up at least once during their
>year or so of having trouble getting pregnant.

I just want to know why Kate isn't spending more time in therapy?

>The Kevin/Madison stuff is hit or miss, this ep was a miss.
>What does Madison do for work that they need a nanny? Why is
>Kevin suddenly talking about countless trips to shoot in
>exotic countries when we've seen him leave LA like once for a
>movie in the last 4 years?

The writers are losing steam, mostly because they're trying a bit too hard to create the drama. They glossed over Kevin & Randall's issues with a quick apology (after all that build up). Apparently Madison has no life outside the Pearson family and suddenly, she's shocked about the possibility of having to follow her celebrity partner around for a living, with children in tow.

>This is my least favorite season to date. The show was at it's
>best when it was linking the past with the present, but they
>are basically out of interesting "past" points it seems, and
>I'd much rather them focus on the future at this point.

This is still a good show, but sometimes suffers from its "..but wait, there's more!.." tendencies. Life is complicated enough without constantly throwing extreme scenarios at each character. Sad, when they have a number of open dialogues waiting to be addressed.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739696 Previous topic | Next topic