Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739685

Subject: "Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Woliner, 2020)" Previous topic | Next topic
Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43715 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Borat Subsequent Moviefilm (Woliner, 2020)"

Maria Bakalova is a star.

This is quite the accomplishment. Is it as good as the first one? Probably not. That was a different time and most people didn't know the Borat character. But this one definitely has it's "Throw the Jew down the well" moment, as well as perhaps the single most cringeworthy dance scene since David Brent.

But SBC's co-star is the reason this succeeds. He's smart enough to know Borat can't carry the stunts - and she's incredible and as committed as he is.

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dropping it right before the debate was perfect.
Oct 23rd 2020
Only a few laugh-out-loud moments for me, but still enjoyed it
Oct 23rd 2020
His HBO show is the best thing he ever did imo
Oct 23rd 2020
There is a lot to be said about the daughter arc
Oct 24th 2020

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66720 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 03:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Dropping it right before the debate was perfect. "
In response to Reply # 0

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6731 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 03:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Only a few laugh-out-loud moments for me, but still enjoyed it"
In response to Reply # 0

These comedies are always better to watch with other people, not alone on a laptop. But I agree with what a lot of the critics are saying about it having an actual plot and character development. The daughter is great. Weirdly enough, a lot of the best stuff was between the two main actors.

None of the real people are shocking, because none of them are worse or even really all that close to the awfulness of the president who we've had to deal with on a minute-by-minute basis for the last five years.

Guliani is unreal. If he was a fictional sycophant creep character in a movie, you'd roll your eyes at how unrealistic he was. But we knew that long before this.

Rough time to be in the shock comedy business. They did the right thing by leaning into the unexpected heart string stuff. Things are so bad, even Borat is rejecting the status quo of cruelty.

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

makaveli
Charter member
16294 posts
Fri Oct-23-20 09:55 PM

3. "His HBO show is the best thing he ever did imo"
In response to Reply # 0

I used to be high laughing my balls off at that show every week. I will probably check out the new movie this weekend.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52620 posts
Sat Oct-24-20 01:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "There is a lot to be said about the daughter arc"
In response to Reply # 0

We've seen a couple of sequels awkwardly work daughters into their plots over the years but I thought this one was pretty good. She wasn't a female Borat but had an actual individual with a set of motivations.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739685 Previous topic | Next topic