Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739391

Subject: "Raised By Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBOMax)" Previous topic | Next topic
shamus
Member since Oct 18th 2004
4465 posts
Thu Sep-03-20 11:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Raised By Wolves (Ridley Scott, HBOMax)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAg6RTQEfeM

After Earth is torn apart by religious differences and the human race teeters on the edge of extinction, an atheistic android architect sends two of his creations, Mother and Father, to start a peaceful, godless colony on the planet Kepler-22b. Raised by Wolves follows Mother and Father as they attempt to raise human children in this mysterious virgin land, a treacherous and difficult task that’s jeopardized by the arrival of the Mithraic, a deeply devout religious order of surviving humans. As the androids make contact with this zealous and dangerous people, they struggle to control the beliefs of their fiercely self-determining children.

--
the untold want by life and land ne'er granted
now voyager sail thou forth to seek and find

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm here for Ridley Scott world-building
Sep 04th 2020
Binged the 1st three episodes last night and I am enjoying this
Sep 04th 2020
also binged all 3 episodes and...(spoilers)
Sep 05th 2020
Full first episode on YouTube
Sep 05th 2020
That ending...
Sep 09th 2020
So...YES....
Sep 08th 2020
this series is hitting all my tingly parts
Sep 09th 2020
RE: this series is hitting all my tingly parts
Sep 09th 2020
Eps. 4 and 5 out. Their mapping of stereotypical
Sep 10th 2020
Not feeling the servant class Black android thing here.
Sep 18th 2020
Halfway through ep 6 and I'm ready to give up.
Sep 20th 2020
This has to be the worst season finale I've ever seen
Oct 11th 2020
So glad I gave up on this show like 4 episodes in
Oct 11th 2020
I don't get why so many people call this "hard" sci-fi.
Oct 11th 2020
      no lies were told
Oct 11th 2020
they tried to make Mother into a sympathetic character
Oct 11th 2020
the devolving human on Kepler was a metaphor for the viewer
Oct 11th 2020
ha
Oct 12th 2020
Gotta be up there with The OA
Oct 11th 2020
sadly, i can't disagree
Oct 12th 2020
yep...PLUMMETED!!!
Oct 12th 2020
I was okay with it. I’ll watch a second season
Oct 14th 2020
against my better judgement, I'm back for S2
Feb 21st 2022
It's a mess.
Feb 22nd 2022
      I don't try to make sense of this show anymore.
Feb 22nd 2022

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Fri Sep-04-20 01:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm here for Ridley Scott world-building"
In response to Reply # 0

--------

calij81
Member since Jan 17th 2007
13928 posts
Fri Sep-04-20 02:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Binged the 1st three episodes last night and I am enjoying this"
In response to Reply # 0

The world building is great and I enjoy the atmosphere.

I like how they set up two sets of parents that aren’t really or supposed to be parents to children.

Which one of the two orphaned kids is really going to be the prophet for the future crusader people?

shamus
4465 posts
Sat Sep-05-20 03:45 PM

3. "also binged all 3 episodes and...(spoilers)"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm onboard, but ooh baby, the racial optics from the first episode were...draining? Like, so much white female violence. Poor Father. And how did you give birth to a batch of multi-racial kids and the last two are still just the white ones, lol?

Thankfully they re-upped.

Anyways, still very into discovering what else lies within Kepler 22b and how the belief systems/allegiances of the characters evolve, especially Father and the kids.

--

shamus
4465 posts
Sat Sep-05-20 03:49 PM

4. "Full first episode on YouTube"
In response to Reply # 0

https://youtu.be/YIAIiw8UAfA

--

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2900 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "That ending..."
In response to Reply # 4

When Mother goes ham
https://media3.giphy.com/media/Ihy9GQCDUWX8fXcQ8R/giphy.gif

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Tue Sep-08-20 10:48 AM

5. "So...YES...."
In response to Reply # 0

...just on visuals and 'world building alone'...YES....
'watched 1st 3eps yesterday...

( after finally getting a way to ACTUALLY VIEW HBO Max even though ive 'technically had it' since the start....they really REALLY need to work out some deal to get their app on Roku or Amazon Firestick. making some potential viewers have to McGyver their way to easily use the product that you 'say' they already have is just annoying...ahh, but then again '1st world problems', so whatever...)

anywayz...yeah...THIS show is my thing right now...those first 3 eps were right on...

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 05:27 PM

7. "this series is hitting all my tingly parts"
In response to Reply # 0

dystopia, a military order, androids, space colonization, prophecy, allegory...with the perfect matching cinematography team and Sir Ridley's blessing.

I'm enthralled so far. didn't know Guzikowski wrote Prisoners (another one of my favorites of this past decade; also bursting with allegory and religion). give me more.

--------

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Wed Sep-09-20 09:58 PM

8. "RE: this series is hitting all my tingly parts"
In response to Reply # 7

'ditto'
so far its hittin ALL the rights notes for me as well

shamus
4465 posts
Thu Sep-10-20 02:43 PM

9. "Eps. 4 and 5 out. Their mapping of stereotypical"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Sep-10-20 02:45 PM by shamus

parental conflicts onto Mother and Father is really touching to me for some reason. The tug back and forth between who knows best, or who is best suited for which roles. I find myself rooting for Father in his quest for a balanced usefulness between them.

I also like how they've set up tendencies towards belief or non-belief as inherent in each being, regardless of their original camp. But their tendencies also aren't stagnant, as they all face challenges with death, the extreme pain of loss, and need to place explanations on (at the moment) unexplainable occurrences.

Loved the debate on whether or not to kill the creature. Father pondering whether or not it was an intelligent being as he remembers his own death was a sharp moment.

Yo, what the fuck is in that temple????

--

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Fri Sep-18-20 05:44 AM

10. "Not feeling the servant class Black android thing here."
In response to Reply # 0

Y'all can have Ridley.

------------------
One Hundred.

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Sun Sep-20-20 02:44 PM

11. "Halfway through ep 6 and I'm ready to give up."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't really care about any of the characters, the kids are downright annoying and it frankly doesn't make sense on any level.

Vertigo
Charter member
1829 posts
Sun Oct-11-20 12:09 AM

12. "This has to be the worst season finale I've ever seen"
In response to Reply # 0

The last episode was so bad I can't it it in words...it went from a promising series to jumping the shark on the grandest scale imaginable.

With the birth of the nearly indestructible flying snake from an android, it went from a thought provoking series to a b level sci-fi channel alien creature show. I've never seen a show drop off so hard.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6565 posts
Sun Oct-11-20 08:24 AM

13. "So glad I gave up on this show like 4 episodes in"
In response to Reply # 12

The fall off was so evident even then and I've watched enough TV to know when a show isn't gonna right the ship.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Backbone
Charter member
8448 posts
Sun Oct-11-20 11:55 AM

14. "I don't get why so many people call this "hard" sci-fi."
In response to Reply # 13

The Sol faction can create near-magical murder droids and faster-than-light space arks, but walk around in spray painted football gear and use shitty ballistic weapons to defend themselves.

The androids are supposedly designed to start an off-world colony, have a ship with energy-converting technology and advanced analysis tools, but dress the kids in prehistoric looking rags and feed them radioactive tubers until they all die (except for the most annoying one of course).

Etc.

Any hint of scientific accuracy or logical consistency gets thrown out the window the second the plot requires it, and the plot itself isn't that fun or clever either.

I could've tolerated all that if at least some of the characters were likeable or interesting, but apart from maybe Sue the medic and the guy in the big prison-helmet, I didn't care about them at all.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6565 posts
Sun Oct-11-20 05:11 PM

16. "no lies were told"
In response to Reply # 14

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Castro
Charter member
50725 posts
Sun Oct-11-20 04:53 PM

15. "they tried to make Mother into a sympathetic character"
Sun Oct-11-20 04:55 PM by Castro

and she is not. Teenage girl raped and pregnant. I'M PREGNANT TOO!!!!

Woman wanting to get her child back. I AM GOING TO RESCUE MY CHILDREN TOO.

Humans having sex? I'M GOING TO HAVE VR HOLO SEX IN THE MEMORY BANKS OF A SHIP I WAS ONLY ABOARD ONCE TOO!

Meanwhile, Father, a gatdamn android, gets jealous because she is cyberpregnant.

So did she get impregnated by one of the old beings on the planet while she was incapcitated during a VR session?

She has the ability to fly, heal from all manner of damage but can't give herself an ultrasound and see that she is carrying a gatdamn flying dinosaur anaconda in her cyberwomb?

FUCK OUTTA HERE.

------------------
One Hundred.

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Sun Oct-11-20 06:16 PM

17. "the devolving human on Kepler was a metaphor for the viewer"

--------

shamus
4465 posts
Mon Oct-12-20 04:00 PM

19. "ha"
In response to Reply # 17

--

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52621 posts
Sun Oct-11-20 11:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Gotta be up there with The OA"

---
Love,
Nopayne

shamus
4465 posts
Mon Oct-12-20 04:10 PM

20. "sadly, i can't disagree"

not even gonna comment on the lamprey baby.

someone above expressed exasperation at trying to make Mother a sympathetic character and for me, out of all the offenses through out the series, that was the biggest. it was so exhausting. i held out hope some worthwhile development would happen with the others, but it didn't. they continued to tether Father to Mother. They made Paul a psycho. and they shot Sue. That's everybody i was rooting for.

--

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Mon Oct-12-20 07:55 PM

21. "yep...PLUMMETED!!!"

i mean... wow....after a promising first 2 or 3 eps that had me genuinely intrigued, since then it has been a straight-up plummet off of a cliff into a steaming pile of....

and man, as good as the FIRST few eps seemed, the LAST few eps were just as opposingly BAD ...so much so that i know i felt embarrassed for having recommended the series to friends after viewing the first two eps...

...ugh...

have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Mgmt
Member since Feb 17th 2005
21495 posts
Wed Oct-14-20 11:31 PM

22. "I was okay with it. I’ll watch a second season"

>The last episode was so bad I can't it it in words...it went
>from a promising series to jumping the shark on the grandest
>scale imaginable.
>
>With the birth of the nearly indestructible flying snake from
>an android, it went from a thought provoking series to a b
>level sci-fi channel alien creature show. I've never seen a
>show drop off so hard.

will_5198
Charter member
63075 posts
Mon Feb-21-22 10:36 PM

23. "against my better judgement, I'm back for S2"
In response to Reply # 0

the first episode has some WTF shit presented innocuously; I suppose an opening test to see if you can stomach the plot logic for another round.

I'm going with it though. I can't say it is any better, but my expectations are a lot different than in S1.

--------

Hitokiri
Charter member
22092 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 09:07 AM

24. "It's a mess."
In response to Reply # 23

I started watching the show shortly before season 2 started at the behest of a friend. So when I finished S1, 2 had just started and I continued because I was already in it despite my opinion on the ending of the first season. So at this point, there's some good, and a whole lot of nonsense. I don't think I can do another season of this. For a show that early one seemed to want to show you how smart it is... it sure is fucking dumb.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Nopayne
Member since Jan 03rd 2003
52621 posts
Tue Feb-22-22 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
25. "I don't try to make sense of this show anymore."
In response to Reply # 24

I'm in for the vibes only. The story doesn't make sense and the characters make odd choices but who cares, it looks cool.

---
Love,
Nopayne

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739391 Previous topic | Next topic