Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739379

Subject: "Ted Lasso (Bill Lawrence, TV)" Previous topic | Next topic
handle
Charter member
17470 posts
Wed Sep-02-20 09:11 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ted Lasso (Bill Lawrence, TV)"

I randomly watched the new AppleTV+ show Ted Lasso starring Jason Sudekis and man - it's surprisingly good.

Now it is IS overly optimistic and cliched at some points (as many sports movies/TV shows are) but man I liked it. (I also find it hard to watch things that are not optimistic right now.)

Anyone else watching?

Article:
How on Earth Is ‘Ted Lasso’ Actually Good?
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/8/14/21367994/ted-lasso-apple-tv-jason-sudeikis

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yo I actually like it alot
Sep 02nd 2020
Loving this
Sep 08th 2020
UP
Dec 17th 2020
it's great. watch it.
Dec 17th 2020
Far better than it had any right to be
Dec 20th 2020
great character. flat out lovable.
Jan 04th 2021
also nbc missed a prime opportunity to put this on peacock.
Jan 04th 2021
Man someone could write a dissertation on this show and Americanism.
Jan 13th 2021
just about caught up on this
Sep 03rd 2021
The relentless optimism can wear you out.
Sep 09th 2021

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
938 posts
Wed Sep-02-20 11:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Yo I actually like it alot"
In response to Reply # 0

Very basic, easy-going stuff but that's sort of its appeal to me. Enough heavy shows around, and this just feels all fuzzy and warm lol. Its not so silly that it gets tiring, and its not so mushy that it gets dreary, its just... Chill, I guess. I like the characters and I like Jason Sudeikis and all the players, even the one star player's GF is cool to me

Not a must-watch by any means, but its a nice show to put on to wind down after the day while scrolling a lil bit on your phone or tablet

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6307 posts
Tue Sep-08-20 09:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Loving this"
In response to Reply # 0

I signed up for an appleTV trial to watch this not knowing that it they're rolling it out weekly. I'm not even mad I'll have to pay for a month to finish the series. Plus, I finally got to saw the Quarantine episode of Mythic Quest which was fantastic and award-worthy.

But yeah, this is just a funny, sweet, smart show. Also, shout out for the representation in both cast and background casting.

This is one of the strongest pilot episodes/opening seasons of a comedy I can remember.

"Regardless if you listen to me, in the end we'll see."
-Cee-Lo

"You’ve had 4 years of Trump University and are still failing the final exam smh"
-Bree Newsome Bass

handle
Charter member
17470 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 12:28 PM

3. "UP"
In response to Reply # 0

Watch this!

------------

Gone: My Discogs collection for The Roots:
http://www.discogs.com/user/tomhayes-roots/collection

ternary_star
Charter member
15155 posts
Thu Dec-17-20 01:44 PM

4. "it's great. watch it."
In response to Reply # 0

pretentious username
Member since Jun 18th 2010
11713 posts
Sun Dec-20-20 10:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Far better than it had any right to be"
In response to Reply # 0

More heartwarming than laugh out loud funny, but I loved all the characters and the story played out in a more sensical way than the premise would suggest. A show based on a couple okay sketches seemed like a recipe for disaster, but they made it work.

I’m guessing if I was a futbol fan I’d be complaining about the lack of futbol though lol.

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
12383 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 02:45 PM

6. "great character. flat out lovable."
In response to Reply # 0

------

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
12383 posts
Mon Jan-04-21 03:53 PM

7. "also nbc missed a prime opportunity to put this on peacock."
In response to Reply # 6

gonna be kinda weird using the character for their coverage in the future since theyll be essentially promoting a show from another network too.

------

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
46405 posts
Wed Jan-13-21 12:20 PM

8. "Man someone could write a dissertation on this show and Americanism. "
In response to Reply # 0

There is a lot going on underneath the surface of this show.

Like this is what white folks should aspire for their brand of Americanism to look like. Optimistic, Smart, Friendly, Tolerant and Welcoming.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Mynoriti
Charter member
36579 posts
Fri Sep-03-21 02:10 PM

9. "just about caught up on this"
In response to Reply # 0

it's good, though it didn't really grab me as much as most people in here, or friends who've recommended it.
It's enjoyable enough, it's sweet. everyone in it is good. I don't have anything negative to say about it.. just not extra drawn to it.

--------
http://ambitiondeficitdisorder.tumblr.com/

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
46405 posts
Thu Sep-09-21 11:34 AM

10. "The relentless optimism can wear you out. "
In response to Reply # 0

Like can a show be too happy. I know Christmas episodes are usually jolly but to see the Christmas episode in the summer being so freaking happy was nauseating.

It seems like the show is taking a darker turn which seems promising. I love the Black Psychartrist. I love her seeing through Ted Lasso using humor and chipperness to hide what he is going through.

Also love seeing the little guy Nathan turning into a creep bully. Its a realistic turn to see someone who started as the object os such much ridicule turning into a bully when he gets a little bit of power.

Looking for them to nail the last few episodes.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #739379 Previous topic | Next topic