Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738382

Subject: "The Plot Against America - HBO miniseries (David Simon 2020)" Previous topic | Next topic
Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Wed Apr-08-20 10:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Plot Against America - HBO miniseries (David Simon 2020)"
Wed Apr-08-20 10:48 AM by Mynoriti

Anyone watching this? I really liked the first episode.

Alternate history in which Charles Lindbergh defeats FDR, aligning the US with Hitler.

Obvious Trumpism parallels at play but I'm really digging the slow burn of the first episode.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Took me a couple eps to get into but I really like it
Apr 08th 2020
yeah caught up now and I'm deeply entrenched
Apr 10th 2020
alright time to switch to HBO
Apr 08th 2020
Ep 5. (spoilerish) i don't think i've ever hated
Apr 14th 2020
agreed
Apr 17th 2020
oh i thought this was a one and done
Apr 17th 2020
Loved both of them.. but especially Winona's performance
Apr 23rd 2020
      no sympathy
Apr 23rd 2020
Why don't you call Von Ribbentrop?
Apr 21st 2020
i loved that line
Apr 21st 2020
there will be no 2nd season, Simon already on to his next project.
Apr 22nd 2020
Yes. She was as the standout for me.
Apr 23rd 2020
Is the book written from the kids POV?
Apr 23rd 2020
thought it was an interesting touch
Apr 24th 2020
the podcast recaps are really good too
Apr 28th 2020

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Wed Apr-08-20 12:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Took me a couple eps to get into but I really like it"
In response to Reply # 0

I read the book a while ago so I can't say how faithful it is to the source material, but on its own it's pretty captivating. Good acting (Turturro killing it as usual), fantastic production design and the world-building is very compelling. With the strong parallels to Trump it doesn't rate very high on the escapism meter, especially in the midst of this pandemic, but once you dive into the show that's less of an issue. Also liking that this is just a 6 episode season

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Fri Apr-10-20 07:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "yeah caught up now and I'm deeply entrenched"
In response to Reply # 1

Tuturro crushing it, but so is everyone really. and the world building/design as you said really pulls you in.

I hope more people watch this.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Apr-08-20 03:14 PM

2. "alright time to switch to HBO"
In response to Reply # 0

again lol

I'm tryna do the one streaming svc at a time thing

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Tue Apr-14-20 03:52 PM

4. "Ep 5. (spoilerish) i don't think i've ever hated"
In response to Reply # 0

a Tuturro character more. Even his racist characters in Spike movies don't piss me off the same way Rabbi Lionel does.

I fucking love the way he talks though

same goes for Wynona. She's so frustrating

they're both doing great work here.

I don't feel like there's enough runway for just one more episode.

benny
8435 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 12:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri Apr-17-20 12:08 PM by benny

>a Tuturro character more. Even his racist characters in Spike
>movies don't piss me off the same way Rabbi Lionel does.
>
>I fucking love the way he talks though
>
>same goes for Wynona. She's so frustrating
>
>they're both doing great work here.

That scene when they're walking down the stairs after meeting with FLOTUS was so good. You can tell they're starting to figure out how shaky their position is but are in way too deep

>I don't feel like there's enough runway for just one more
>episode.

they've built up masterfully so far, feels like an 8 episode arc would work better but I guess we'll see how they close this. The show hasn't been renewed so it'd be frustrating if they stop at one season. I guess they'll show Kentucky next ep?

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Fri Apr-17-20 05:36 PM

6. "oh i thought this was a one and done"
In response to Reply # 5

and yeah the denial in that first lady scene was hilarious, gross, and sad.

but yeah i thought this was just a one time mini-series and not something that would be renewed. Would be nice if its more.

Agreed, next up would have to be KY

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Thu Apr-23-20 02:56 PM

10. "Loved both of them.. but especially Winona's performance"
In response to Reply # 4

She has this look on her face as the series progresses of someone who knows they should feel uncomfortable by all the shit going down.

But is trying to convince herself that everything is fine. The "Go call the Ambassador" line was ice cold from Bess. And probably deservedly so

I just felt sympathy for Winona's character though. Someone who finally caught what she thought was a break (marrying wayyy up) but it still falls apart around her.

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Thu Apr-23-20 04:28 PM

11. "no sympathy"
In response to Reply # 10

they did a good job of giving us her backstory of being unlucky in love as well as gullible.

i tried to consider it's the 40s, and she doesn't come off as an all around terrible person, just kind of a dunce. But she didn't once consider Bess' side of anything, and pulled that Sandy shit without even asking, and kept treating Bess like she was the dumb one. Out here dancing with Nazis and shit. The cringiness of her pushing conspiracies in the end like she had the inside track.

It all felt so real, and fuck her.

benny
8435 posts
Tue Apr-21-20 04:30 PM

7. "Why don't you call Von Ribbentrop?"
In response to Reply # 0

some stellar stuff from Zoe Kazan, between the harrowing phone call with Seldon and her interactions with her sister.

Quite a grim ending for the show (and more so than the book iirc), but considering what's going on in the nation, could it be any other way? Probably best if they don't come back for a second season lol. I didn't completely love all the Alvin stuff, but overall the show did a lot to flesh out these characters and achieved more in 6 eps than The Man In The High Castle couldn't in 4 limp seasons

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Tue Apr-21-20 06:33 PM

8. "i loved that line"
In response to Reply # 7

everything played out so realistically. the way Evelyn still refused to self reflect, and how her and Lionel in the face of reality, instead of recognizing it (and their role in it) went down a rabbit hole for some Alex Jones level conspiracy shit just so they could salvage their beliefs.

Zoe Kazan is turning into a powerhouse. Specter was great as well. The whole road trip to pick up Sheldon was handled amazingly.

I never expect happy endings from Simon. This ending was cynical with a sliver of hope which is about what i figured.

I really hope more people see this. I only saw S1 of Man in the High Castle. i thought it was ok but was never in a hurry to keep going.

High Society
Member since Oct 13th 2003
7375 posts
Wed Apr-22-20 10:54 PM

9. "there will be no 2nd season, Simon already on to his next project."
In response to Reply # 7

-----
Cameo
Soundshape Records

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Thu Apr-23-20 11:39 PM

12. "Yes. She was as the standout for me. "
In response to Reply # 7

>some stellar stuff from Zoe Kazan, between the harrowing
>phone call with Seldon and her interactions with her sister.

Agree.

>Quite a grim ending for the show (and more so than the book
>iirc), but considering what's going on in the nation, could it
>be any other way? Probably best if they don't come back for a
>second season lol. I didn't completely love all the Alvin
>stuff, but overall the show did a lot to flesh out these
>characters and achieved more in 6 eps than The Man In The High
>Castle couldn't in 4 limp seasons

Yes. TMITHC just kept getting dragged on... Regret sticking with it.

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Thu Apr-23-20 11:44 PM

13. "Is the book written from the kids POV?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Apr-23-20 11:45 PM by calminvasion

That's the only part that didn't fully work for me. The kids felt like they had a lot to carry, and didn't always land.

Books with the kids as lead characters or told from their POV is sometimes hard to pull off on screen. Kids actors have their limits.

Otherwise loved it. Fits very well within the Simon canon

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Fri Apr-24-20 02:07 PM

14. "thought it was an interesting touch"
In response to Reply # 13

even the side story with the younger kid, and his weird friend, even though it was a bit of a tangent, like it could have been its own short story.

Sandy was pretty frustrating but believable. One of the more hopeful parts of the series was him slowly realizing how awesome his dad was, from how he handled that guy in the diner, to navigating around the Klan

>Otherwise loved it. Fits very well within the Simon canon

Mynoriti
Charter member
38817 posts
Tue Apr-28-20 04:47 PM

15. "the podcast recaps are really good too"
In response to Reply # 0

going off the question calminvasion asked, the book is from the youngest son's perspective but according to Simon it wouldn't work for the whole series so only pieces of it are from the kid's perspective.

they also mention some of the Trumpism parallels and differences. One of them being that Lindbergh being elected president somehow seems far more realistic than Trump being elected. They were both outsider alternatives but Lindbergh was a certified hero, revered by most people playing off America's reluctance to get involved in another european conflict, and was even somewhat measured in the troubling things he said about jews. Trump was just a brash , openly hateful asshole.

lots of good tidbits and info on where the series veers from the source material. Plus Simon is always great to listen to.

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738382 Previous topic | Next topic