Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738276

Subject: "Devs (ALEX MF'ING GARLAND, FX/Hulu)" Previous topic | Next topic
benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
7641 posts
Tue Mar-24-20 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Devs (ALEX MF'ING GARLAND, FX/Hulu)"

I know there's a ton of good TV on these days but kinda shocked there wasn't a post. Halfway through the season (is this a one-off?), this is really fucking excellent. Nick Offerman is absolutely knocking it out of the park by playing against type, and great work from the entire cast. Dope score too, apparently Geoff Barrow from Portishead is involved.

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets
===
"Si la meuf est bien physiquement, je ne refuserai pas grand chose"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Barrow slaughtered the Annihilation soundtrack.
Mar 24th 2020
Found this pretty weak
Mar 28th 2020
we just found this this week...
Mar 29th 2020
I love it, episode 5 was the best one yet
Mar 29th 2020
Ep 6 was sneakilly tense...
Apr 03rd 2020

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
14075 posts
Tue Mar-24-20 03:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Barrow slaughtered the Annihilation soundtrack."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-24-20 03:52 PM by Nodima

He*'s the Greenwood to Garland's Anderson. I love them together.

*I love his meet cute with Ben Salisbury that led to him following Trent Reznor's footsteps.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/annihilation-geoff-barrow-and-ben-salisbury-talk-its-haunting-score-197947/

"How long have you known each other?
Salisbury: Funny enough, it’s through football, which we are about to play. We started playing football 15 years ago. Neither of us knew what each other did. I didn’t know Geoff was Geoff from Portishead.

Barrow: And I didn’t know Ben did TV music. We usually analyzed how bad we were at football in the bar afterwards and never really got onto music. It was the Spanish Inquisition on a weekly basis. It’s a way for everyone to leave their lives, families, work at home. A lot of people play sports to network, but for us it was the opposite.

Salisbury: After about five or six years of playing weekly football, I realized who Geoff was and had a question about clearing samples. And then we were talking about music. I did some string arrangements for bands on Geoff’s label, Invada, and he was doing music for Exit Through the Gift Shop, and we had a vague idea to work together on that, but it didn’t materialize. I was stuck doing music for natural history films and you only get to write one type of music for them. I was being suffocated. And Geoff was looking for a way to write for feature films. We both saw teaming up as a way to break out of our respective slots."

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
105 posts
Sat Mar-28-20 06:30 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Found this pretty weak"
In response to Reply # 0

Couldn't make it past the monologue and that whole fight in the parking garage of ep2, oh lawd

Nick Offerman cool tho

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3228 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 10:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "we just found this this week..."
In response to Reply # 0

binged 5 eps yesterday....
we're digging it (Offerman is REALLY great)
we're looking forward to the rest too.

semi spoiler below....

(i do have a question about the logistics of how the 'tech' that Devs is making works)

amplifya7
Member since Feb 07th 2010
2942 posts
Sun Mar-29-20 01:31 PM

4. "I love it, episode 5 was the best one yet"
In response to Reply # 0

listen/connect with me:

http://hecticzeniths.com
twitter: @amplifya / @hecticzeniths
instagram.com/hecticzeniths
facebook.com/hecticzeniths

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3228 posts
Fri Apr-03-20 09:15 PM

5. "Ep 6 was sneakilly tense..."
In response to Reply # 0

i'm really REALLY into this show. Its hard to describe, but its got 'something special' goin on. its unnerving...in a good way. FX has got a streak going on this kinda 'specialness' in several of their shows. Im guessing it has something to do with letting the creators create? I dont know what it is, but count me in.

And just on a the straight up 'tangible' parts of it....the acting, the characters, the cinematography, the music...all just right on point...

dont sleep on this one...

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738276 Previous topic | Next topic