Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738094

Subject: "Candyman (Nia DaCosta, 2020)" Previous topic | Next topic
j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Thu Feb-27-20 06:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Candyman (Nia DaCosta, 2020)"

June 12, 2020

Candyman - Official Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwzuZ9kOQU

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Candyman (Nia DaCosta, 2020)
Jun 17th 2020
This is incredible
Jun 19th 2020
Relatedly, "Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror" doc free to stream
Jun 19th 2020
I just revisited Flying Lotus' 'Until the Quiet Comes'...
Jul 12th 2020
I thought it was really good.
Aug 28th 2021
so I just watched the original for the first time
Aug 30th 2021
In 1992 no one was thinking about a horror film having
Aug 31st 2021
      I feel you
Aug 31st 2021
      Yeah that's the thing with sequel/reboot films coming out
Aug 31st 2021
      Spike Lee, Robert Townsend, Keenan Wayans, Charles Burnett
Aug 31st 2021
           I didn’t say there weren’t films made around Black themes…
Aug 31st 2021
that was good
Aug 31st 2021
Im confused. Did this movie come out in 2020 and a new one come out
Sep 02nd 2021
Scheduled to come out last year, delayed due to covid.
Sep 02nd 2021
This was aight!
Sep 23rd 2021

j0510
Member since Feb 02nd 2012
2315 posts
Wed Jun-17-20 10:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Candyman (Nia DaCosta, 2020)"
In response to Reply # 0

CANDYMAN, at the intersection of white violence and black pain, is about unwilling martyrs. The people they were, the symbols we turn them into, the monsters we are told they must have been.

https://twitter.com/NiaDaCosta/status/1273293842113089536

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Fri Jun-19-20 09:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is incredible"
In response to Reply # 1

If this is eligible for short form animation Oscar it damn well should be nominated

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6574 posts
Fri Jun-19-20 11:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Relatedly, "Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror" doc free to stream"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/XLNB/status/1274014527391035392

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Options
Member since Nov 19th 2009
1013 posts
Sun Jul-12-20 07:32 PM

4. "I just revisited Flying Lotus' 'Until the Quiet Comes'..."
In response to Reply # 0

and only now realized that 'Electric Candyman' is referencing this movie series.

that's all.

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Sat Aug-28-21 09:41 PM

5. "I thought it was really good."
In response to Reply # 0

The OG scared the shit out of me as a kid and I haven't even gone back to see if I could stomach it as an adult.

Pretty much all my favorite people all wrapped in one project, especially Colman Domingo.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Options
1013 posts
Mon Aug-30-21 08:46 PM

6. "so I just watched the original for the first time"
In response to Reply # 0

I was under the impression this movie had a kind of cult status among African-American horror fans. but after watching it, I'm wondering why.

I was completely blindsided by the protagonist——this is just another White Savior story, ultimately. I read on imdb that the director wanted to explore the idea of inner-city housing projects being a kind of scary urban legend in and of themselves, and I think that's a very interesting concept. but I couldn't shake the discomfort from watching this movie's depictions of race which that idea inherently brings up.

I guess I'm just wondering how this movie ended up gaining the following it did even with its problematic (IMO) portrayals of race. or maybe this is just the result of looking back with 2021 eyes.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 08:47 AM

7. "In 1992 no one was thinking about a horror film having "
In response to Reply # 6

“problematic portrayals of race.” Also, cult classics by definition are typically “had to be there” types of movies that didn’t do well in the box office and/or got poor reviews. Candyman’s legacy is of being a legitimately scary horror film that delivered plenty of gore and thrills, on top of there not really being anything like that in horror with a black villain at the time.

On top of that, the story note of summoning him by saying his name in a mirror was genius because it was one of those things that easily could cross over into real life imaginations - I didn’t even see it until it was out on home video, but when I was in middle school in 92 all the kids were talking about it and daring each other to say Candyman in the mirror.

Options
1013 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 10:22 AM

8. "I feel you"
In response to Reply # 7

I totally forgot to factor in *age* — no middle/high-schoolers are gonna be thinking about that kinda thing, let alone in '92. I heard those same schoolyard dares too. (I'm only just now occasionally dipping into horror; there was no way I was going anywhere near this joint back when it released)

anyhow, I guess more than anything it just makes me curious how things are handled in the sequel.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 10:45 AM

9. "Yeah that's the thing with sequel/reboot films coming out"
In response to Reply # 8

a couple generations after the original. The audience for the current sequel is mostly the people who were kids at the time the originals came out and have grown up...so the sequel/reboot has to balance staying faithful to the original, vs. realizing that that original audience is 30 years older now, while still trying to broaden that audience a bit.

Castro
Charter member
50751 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 06:19 PM

11. "Spike Lee, Robert Townsend, Keenan Wayans, Charles Burnett"
In response to Reply # 7

Julie Dash, Euzahn Palcy......there was definitely a movement around Black themes and visibility in film in the 80s and 90's...

------------------
One Hundred.

soulfunk
Charter member
11002 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 08:49 PM

12. "I didn’t say there weren’t films made around Black themes…"
In response to Reply # 11

that had been happening for decades at that point. Just that the audience who feels nostalgic for the original Candyman wasn’t thinking that Candyman specifically was a problematic portrayal. It was a response to the post wondering how it became a cult classic when it was problematic.

Crash Bandacoot
Member since May 13th 2003
10119 posts
Tue Aug-31-21 05:54 PM

10. "that was good"
In response to Reply # 0

very succinct and love the artsy back drop.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49426 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 01:19 PM

13. "Im confused. Did this movie come out in 2020 and a new one come out"
In response to Reply # 0

this year?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"what's a leader if he isn't reluctant"

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Thu Sep-02-21 01:32 PM

14. "Scheduled to come out last year, delayed due to covid."
In response to Reply # 13

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Bambino Grande
Member since Mar 14th 2019
965 posts
Thu Sep-23-21 05:24 PM

15. "This was aight!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby Pass The Popcorn topic #738094 Previous topic | Next topic